Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Mate at Carrington just told me United in advanced talks to sign Hugo Mallo from Celta. #MUFC

And retweeted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Mate at Carrington just told me United in advanced talks to sign Hugo Mallo from Celta. #MUFC
    I'm at work here on mobile. Can you link the tweet on here and ill Rt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Hugo Mallo, right back at Celta.

How good is Hugo Mallo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How good is Hugo Mallo?

We are NOT signing Hugo Mallo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

yeah, you're probably right. United were never in for Kroos, Carvalho or Shaw like I thought and had been told. Clearly there is likely to be no interest in Strootman either, as I have said and been told.

I think we are definitely in for Shaw as a bid has been reported by Sky and BBC. But all the rest are just here say, and whispers from people claiming to know things.

No matter where you get your information from and how solid you think your source is you should by now realise that you cannot believe any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Hugo mallo has gone to 1/8 to sign for us by some bookies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hococop wrote: »
    Hugo mallo has gone to 1/8 to sign for us by some bookies

We need a YouTube video of his best bits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Two lads I know are genuinely convinced a rumour they started was the catalyst for Jean de Villiers signing for Munster, so I hope for yere own sake Mallo is a signing ye'd be happy with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I don't think I've seen Fabregas play as well for Barca as he did Arsenal. Very few times anyway.

I didn't want him signed last year and he's done nothing to change my mind in the last year. Anyway, I'd be very surprised if he bypassed Arsenal to come to United.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Mallo has been very good for Celta this season btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Mallo has been very good for Celta this season btw.

I heard that Rafael has caught wind of these Mallo rumours, and demanded clear the air talks with LVG.
    Arsenal are on red alert, as Sagna stalls on a new contract ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Skybet apparently put up this tweet then removed it soon after -

BogQm4UCcAE8S9H.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Skybet apparently put up this tweet then removed it soon after -

BogQm4UCcAE8S9H.jpg
    I'd love if the deal just went through - it would ease my mind greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

irishfeen wrote: »
    I'd love if the deal just went through - it would ease my mind greatly.

He seems to favourite tweets about United then deletes them......is it a sign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Done a youtube on Memphis Depay. Scout nation always put a good video together.

Reminds me of Nani to be honest. Right footed player on the left who likes to run with the ball and cut in and shot. Can't see the need for him unless we maybe rid ourselves of one of our wide players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    Done a youtube on Memphis Depay. Scout nation always put a good video together.

Reminds me of Nani to be honest. Right footed player on the left who likes to run with the ball and cut in and shot. Can't see the need for him unless we maybe rid ourselves of one of our wide players.

I know 2 we can be rid of.

zerks wrote: »
    He seems to favourite tweets about United then deletes them......is it a sign?
    As in Shaw favourites United tweets??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

irishfeen wrote: »
    As in Shaw favourites United tweets??

Yeah - saw one the other day from a United fan saying we should buy Di Maria, don't know if it is still favourited.

Yeah - saw one the other day from a United fan saying we should buy Di Maria, don't know if it is still favourited.
    Ha he is probably just trolling us the fecker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can ye name all 10 players here?

i reckon theres 8 European medals in there also, can ye name the year each of them won it?

BoZ_y2WIgAA5AAu.jpg:large

apologies if already posted, only been popping in and out for a few mins at a time over the weekend so didnt see all posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Know 5 in the picture.

Edit 6 Blomqvist (sp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Robson, Gillespie, VdG, Blomqvist, Blackmore??, Johnsen, Silvestre, Saha, Fortune. Baldy lad is a bit difficult, but I think it's Sammy McIllroy.

Anyone watch the Kanchelskis documentary on MUTV earlier this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

can ye name all 10 players here?

i reckon theres 8 European medals in there also, can ye name the year each of them won it?

BoZ_y2WIgAA5AAu.jpg:large

apologies if already posted, only been popping in and out for a few mins at a time over the weekend so didnt see all posts.
    Gillespie, van der Gouw, Blackmore, Robson, Sylvestre, Saha, Fortune, Johnsen.

Missing 2

Edit: Would never have got Jesper, the head of him :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Jesus, I'm a Liverpool fan and can name all of them except the bald man. Come on lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I've heard That Celta's Mallo is very much a player in the LvG mould. He sees him as one suited to his 'total football philosophy'

I'd put a decent stack on him moving to MUFC now. You'd get unreal odds lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

The only guy I can't place is the guy behind Quentin Fortune. Who is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Van der Gouw is the Dutch version of Ian Brown

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I reckon 7 European Trophies

UCL: Ronnie Johnsen (99), Jesper Blomqvist (99), Raymond van der Gouw (99)
    Mikael Silvestre (08), Louis Saha (08),

Cup Winner Cup: Clayton Blackmore (91) Bryan Robson (91)

Non Euro Winners: Quinton Fortune, Keith Gillespie

Non Player: David Fevre (Physio)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Phelan

• Advertisement

Didn't know Blackmore or Ferve if they are the right ones.

The blonde locks of Blomqvist gave him away in the end :)

edit: who is the baldy guy behind Parker?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

user2011 wrote: »
    Didn't know Blackmore or Ferve if they are the right ones.

The blonde locks of Blomqvist gave him away in the end :)

edit: who is the baldy guy behind Parker?

Parker is not there :)

Paul_Parker.jpg

State of confusion I am in :pac:

disclaimer: I'm drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

user2011 wrote: »
    State of confusion I am in :pac:

disclaimer: I'm drunk

Well thats unfortunate. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

From Daniel Taylor
    Danny Welbeck has expressed his frustrations about the frequency with which he has been played out of position at Manchester United, rejecting the chance to say he wanted to be part of the Louis van Gaal era and making it clear that he is still contemplating leaving the club despite the arrival of the new manager.

Welbeck, speaking for the first time about the uncertainty surrounding his future, said he had started to feel disaffected because of his “frustrating” inability to establish himself in the central role he craves. It had been his “unhappiest season, without a doubt” and the player is concerned it will continue that way when Van Gaal takes charge after the World Cup. “I’d like to play centrally,” he said. “I’ve been playing on the left for a while and it’s got to the time when I want to stake a place up front.”

Those chances appear slim, as Welbeck is aware, when the competition is provided by Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney and especially when United’s exploratory talks about Edinson Cavani’s potential availability from Paris St-Germain demonstrate they are open to the idea of bringing in another attacker. Welbeck’s advisers have already let United know he is willing to sever his ties with the club, albeit reluctantly, and Tottenham Hotspur are among his admirers. Asked directly whether he could clarify that he still wanted to leave, he replied: “I’d rather not answer that question.”

Welbeck was subsequently asked whether it had reached this point because of his desire to play as a centre-forward. “Yes,” he said, “it does get frustrating. You want to play in a certain position and you’re not getting the opportunity to do that. It’s the same for everyone else when they are being played out of position and they don’t really like it.”

The 23-year-old is often criticised for his goal output but made the point that, as a wide player, it was regarded as “a bonus” to score. His issue is particularly when United operate with a 4-4-2 system. “It depends what formation we are playing. On the left of a four-man midfield there are a lot more defensive duties so you can’t find the time to keep attacking. But if you’re on the left of a 4-3-3, I find that position really good. I can play in any formation but, if I play on the left, I’d rather play there if there are three in midfield.”

Ideally, though, he wants the chance to show he can score regularly as an orthodox striker. “I played there for United over the Christmas period and scored a few then. I just want opportunities.”

Welbeck said he had become particularly unhappy over the last season – “I’d rather not think about it,” he replied, when asked to elaborate – and is known to be one of the players who found it difficult accepting David Moyes’ style of management. At one point Moyes publicly stated that Welbeck should put in extra work on the training ground, a statement that went down badly with the player. “I was pretty surprised, to be honest. I’ve grown up at Manchester United and been professional all through my career and I always do extra work. It’s born and bred in me to do extra work after training. He came out with that statement but, before then, I had been doing extra training. Maybe he just didn’t see it.”

To illustrate the point Welbeck took a personal fitness trainer with him to Dubai when the members of Roy Hodgson’s World Cup squad had a week off before joining England’s training camp in Portugal.

“I wouldn’t say I play better for England but my goals-per-game ratio is definitely better,” he continued. “Formation-wise, I’m much freer up front because, when I play on the left for England, with three in midfield and three up front, there is more defensive cover rather than me being that defensive cover. For United I’m more likely to be left-wing in a four-man midfield, with only two central midfielders, so it’s a bit more difficult for me to make runs and score goals when I’ve got to think about my defensive duties. Maybe I’m let off the leash a bit more for England than United.”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/25/danny-welbeck-manchester-united-louis-van-gaal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Its at times like this that i really hate the internet. God be with the days when the first ye heard of s new signing was when it was reported in the Sunday papers and the player had signed days before

Sigh............simpler times

I'm going to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Does Danny Welbeck really believe that his performances and his composure in front of goal have been up to the standards expected of a Manchester United player who is playing in any position on the pitch? If he leaves it won't make me happy but the balance of power between club and player isn't in this favour I'm afraid. He's not as good or better than the players ahead of him, simple as.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Reasonable enough for Welbeck to want out at this stage. With all the central attacking players and strikers United have he just isn't going to get the game time he deserves.

I really hate wasting young talent like this. I'd much rather have had Chico and Welbeck given the opportunity to develop at the club rather than buying the finished product like RvP.

With RVP and Rooney (hopefully) staying at the club, thanks for the memories Danny. Can't fault him for wanting to play in his favourite position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He does say that he likes playing on the left in a 4-3-3 - which is van Gaal's preferred formation, so there's hope for him at United yet. I suppose he'll have a meeting with the manager after the World Cup and a decision will be made. I think he'd be the type of player that LVG would love to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

If were selling him it should be at a serious premium price. As far as I remember his contract wasn't long renewed and him being English at least 25 m .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

fitze69 wrote: »
    If were selling him it should be at a serious premium price. As far as I remember his contract wasn't long renewed and him being English at least 25 m .
    lol Sturridge was sold for 12m no one will pay 25m for Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol Sturridge was sold for 12m no one will pay 25m for Welbeck.

When your club pays £35m for Andy Carroll you can't really come and tell us nobody would pay £25m for Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

When your club pays £35m for Andy Carroll you can't really come and tell us nobody would pay £25m for Welbeck.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

And in fairness selling Sturridge for that money was a shocking decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fitze69 wrote: »
    And in fairness selling Sturridge for that money was a shocking decision

Sturridge was sold for 12m because he failed to make it at City and Chelsea. The fact that he's been a roaring success at Liverpool means he'd be worth a lot more now.....but its what he was worth then because its what people were willing to pay.

His goal ratio for Chelsea was about 1 in 5 and he frustrated his teammates by shooting constantly and not passing the ball. 12 million was a fair price. I'm sure if they could get that for Torres, they would take it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,603 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Blatter wrote: »
    I think he'd be the type of player that LVG would love to work with.

Publically mouthing off won't go down well with LvG though.

I think Danny should switch to Aussie Rules, you get a point for a wide :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

what club would though? None of the top 6 in England would or any teams in Europe imo. Carrolls' price was obviously hugely inflated by the Torres transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

nullzero wrote: »
    Does Danny Welbeck really believe that his performances and his composure in front of goal have been up to the standards expected of a Manchester United player who is playing in any position on the pitch? If he leaves it won't make me happy but the balance of power between club and player isn't in this favour I'm afraid. He's not as good or better than the players ahead of him, simple as.

His goal scoring ratio has been pretty poor and he has yet to demonstrate any kind of clinical efficiency in front of goal. And that is such a key skill, which I just don't think he has in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

His goal scoring ratio has been pretty poor and he has yet to demonstrate any kind of clinical efficiency in front of goal. And that is such a key skill, which I just don't think he has in him.

Welbeck had 10 goals in 19 starts and 11 subs this season. He had 5 goals in 8 games when played as a striker. (from whoscored.com)

His goal scoring ratio used to be pretty poor. That has now changed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement