Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Welbeck would get any half decent team 15-25 goals a season guranteed hate it if he was to leave, One of our technically better players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

On a completely Unrelated note.

Would ye have kept Ronaldo for two more seasons and let him walk on a free if you had the choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Timmyctc wrote: »
    On a completely Unrelated note.

Would ye have kept Ronaldo for two more seasons and let him walk on a free if you had the choice?

Without a doubt easy saying that as a fan though, When you look back now Madrid got a bargain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Personally I hope this Mata stuff is horsesh1t as I'd like to see him given a chance.

It's understandable though - The guy gets a disproportionate amount of love on these pages. He was an absolute panic buy. Mourinho wanted rid of him which is massive "buyer beware" in my view. We already had Rooney and Kagawa to play in that position. Is he even first choice with Spain? And did he really do all that much last season?

As I said, personally I like him...just playing devil's advocate.

The story's probably nonsense anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Fifteen years ago today. "Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjaer has won it!" #mufctreble http://t.co/EBWsVvw166

Pity I was only 4 at the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fifteen years ago today. "Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjaer has won it!" #mufctreble http://t.co/EBWsVvw166

Ah I was only 9, don't remember much at all of it :( ... it makes it worse that I can remember Zidane in the 98 WC final running the show as if it was yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus,I'd have given you to be older.We were doing conga's round the local at 3am.

In muppet news,the media in Spain are saying £25 million is the price for Alexis Sanchez & Barca want a sale asap.I'd love him at United,he's the type of winger we've been sorely lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

christ almighty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

6 going on 7 :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MEN reporting that LVG has forced United to redraw their transfer plans, with Kroos and Fabregas (apparently two big targets prior to LVG) crossed off the list.

Shaw, Hummels, Reus, Strootman mentioned as being on the 'new' list. Only one central midfield player on it - hope the reality is there are a few more - especially with massive question marks over whether we can get strootman and if we will even try to get him this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Shaw, Hummels, Reus, Strootman mentioned as being on the 'new' list. Only one central midfield player on it - hope the reality is there are a few more - especially with massive question marks over whether we can get strootman and if we will even try to get him this summer.

Don't worry Mitch, I have it on good authority that Reus can be repurposed into a CM with little difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Leftist wrote: »
    christ almighty.

Actually I was only 3 going on 4........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I was 15! What a night!had no mobile phone at the time. The house phone was hopping for me too come out and go bushing. I of course obliged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I was 15 was sticking on me runners all grumpy and the goals went in! Oh god you kids missed out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MEN reporting that LVG has forced United to redraw their transfer plans, with Kroos and Fabregas (apparently two big targets prior to LVG) crossed off the list.

BREAKING: Tom Cleverly to lead the league in assists from midfield next season. #LvG #MUFC #BELIEVE

In all seriousness though, I think Cleverly could do a job under LvG. The problem is we don't have a holding midfielder. Cleverly is an attacking midfielder (and he's not a very good one at that) but he is young. Someone like LvG could sort him out or move him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I was eleven. Still remember being in my Schmeichael jersey on my knees on the living room pumping my fists into the air :)

My Dad retails the story of how my Ma had an instant panic, I was a heavy asmatic as a child and she thought I was having a fit hahaha. She came to grab me to check I was alright, I thought she was joining in on the celebration, my Da sitting on the coach balling laughing :D

Also this list, needs to **** off. About three people in the world have seen it hands on, and there is no way any journalist knows whats on it or not.

I was 12 and it doesn't feel that long ago and ohmygodwhendidigetsoold :eek:

The media will be out to destroy Van Gaal...we all need to be mindful of that.

He won't pander to them - He'll probably show them nothing but contempt.

That'll put him firmly in their firing line.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    BREAKING: Tom Cleverly to lead the league in assists from midfield next season. #LvG #MUFC #BELIEVE

In all seriousness though, I think Cleverly could do a job under LvG. The problem is we don't have a holding midfielder. Cleverly is an attacking midfielder (and he's not a very good one at that) but he is young. Someone like LvG could sort him out or move him on.

Would agree with this - I'd like to see him given a chance, but I still feel we need to bring in two first team midfielders, on the (baseless) assumption of 433. a deep playmaker, and a box to box player. Strootman can do either role (possibly better box to box). Mata/Kagawa/Rooney would take the advanced CM/no.10 role.

I'd have thought Strootman and either Fabregas or Kroos would have been a perfect midfield pairing base.

• Advertisement

The media will be out to destroy Van Gaal...we all need to be mindful of that.

He won't pander to them - He'll probably show them nothing but contempt.

That'll put him firmly in their firing line.

I dunno - they could love him like they did Jose at first, his press conferences will be interesting and likely provide them with some good sound bites and stories.

I dunno - they could love him like they did Jose at first, his press conferences will be interesting and likely provide them with some good sound bites and stories.

Hopefully.

I'm just worried that if (or when!) he treats them with contempt, they'll set ou to destroy him.

This redrawing of our transfer target list stuff has all the hallmarks of something that'll morph into "Chaos at United" and "Shambles" headlines I fear.

Hopefully Cesc and Kroos are still targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

What would people think of Strootman and Alex Song as our midfield additions? Very gettable and would not cost a huge amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

What would people think of Strootman and Alex Song as our midfield additions? Very gettable and would not cost a huge amount.

I really like Song, dont think he is defensibly disciplined enough to play the defensive role that he started his career in. But box to box he would be very good addition and his link up with RVP was exceptional. He's the sort of bread and butter £10 - 15 million signing that we never seem to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

beno619 wrote: »
    I really like Song, dont think he is defensibly disciplined enough to play the defensive role that he started his career in. But box to box he would be very good addition and his link up will RVP was exceptional. He's the sort of bread and butter £10 - 15 million signing that we never seem to make.

You mean the bread and butter players we spend 27 million on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Yeah he is 26 too. In his two seasons at Barca he played 19 and 20 games in the league (don't know how many were substitute appearances) so a decent £10M bid would not be ott for him. Add to that the power of Strootman and suddenly I feel a lot better, he should have signed last Summer for £16M, would probably cost closer to £25M now. Two decent players and still some change over to cover other areas.

We already have enough creative players in the squad, its hard working midfielders we need who can dictate the pace of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a summer with a new manager coming into the job in late July, essentially starting from scratch with a new list of transfers...sure what could possibly go wrong?

This seemingly obsessive want of Strootman worries me greatly, they lad may not play until september or october and it could be too late by then.
    Louis van Gaal has forced United to redraw their transfer plans after insisting he is not interested in Cesc Fabregas.

The Dutchman has handed executive vice chairman Ed Woodward his own wanted list – which he expects to be delivered after he returns from World Cup duty with Holland.

Barcelona midfielder Fabregas was one of the names being considered by United in a summer of unprecedented spending for the club.

But Van Gaal insists the 27-year-old does not figure in his plans and has instructed Woodward to focus on alternative targets – including Kevin Strootman.

United are set to spend in the region of £200m to ensure a swift return to the Champions League after David Moyes’ disastrous reign saw them miss out on Europe altogether.

Toni Kroos, Luke Shaw, Marco Reus and Fabregas were all on Woodward’s wanted list even before Van Gaal’s appointment last week.

United’s targets have since been fine-tuned by their new manager, with the decision to end all interest in Fabregas the most significant change.

Van Gaal has handed his new employers his own shortlist of players he believes can fit into his total football philosophy.

Roma’s Strootman is one of the names on it, while he has given his approval to complete a move for Southampton’s England left back Shaw, which could cost as much as £30m.

United’s hopes of signing Kroos are fading, with the German midfielder intimating that he will stay at Bayern Munich.

Van Gaal wants Borussia Dortmund centre back Mats Hummels, who he believes can fill the void left by Nemanja Vidic’s departure.

Dnipro winger Yehven Konoplyanka and Dortmund’s Reus are also targets.

The decision to omit Fabregas from his thinking is a clear indication that Van Gaal will do things his way at United.

Woodward has tracked the former Arsenal star ever since taking over transfer responsibilities from former chief executive David Gill last summer.

He believed he could land him 12 months ago as he looked to make a bold statement in his first transfer window.

Instead United were left embarrassed by their highly public and ultimately failed attempts to lure Fabregas back to the Premier League.

A humbling summer saw them miss out on other targets Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Leighton Baines and Thiago Alcantara – with Marouane Fellaini a desperate last minute signing on deadline day.

Juan Mata was bought for a club record £37.1m in January, but Woodward has long viewed this summer as his chance to make amends in the market.

That is why eyebrows were raised when Fabregas emerged as a target once more, with supporters fearing another frustrating chase.

Van Gaal, too, will not want to see his first transfer window follow the same path as Moyes’, which was largely blamed for the Scot’s struggles last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I reckon Song could be gotten fairly cheaply alright but I really can't see Strootman being let go on the cheap.

I've no doubts LVG has his own targets but I refuse to believe that he only handed the club his list of them this week. Sure he said they'd had discussions about who to buy and who could go already when interviewed after the Utd job was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I wonder what font this 'magical' list is in and whether it's laminated or not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

This seemingly obsessive want of Strootman worries me greatly, they lad may not play until september or october and it could be too late by then.

I second this. He is not even three months post op so bar complications it will be August before he is fully healed. It could be at October or more before he is up to speed and that's if rehab goes according to plan. If we buy Song or an equivalent can we cope with one addition and our current midfield until Strootman recovers fully and that's if he recovers fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

a summer with a new manager coming into the job in late July, essentially starting from scratch with a new list of transfers...sure what could possibly go wrong?

Did I miss something or have we bid £40 million for him ? :confused:

We really shouldn't worry about paper talk its still only may and not many clubs have done big business.

• Advertisement

I would prefer we buy him now and have him in September than wait to January which really could be too late.

Regardless, he can't be the only CM signing we make - we have to buy at least two, and two of top quality.

statto25 wrote: »
    I second this. He is not even three months post op so bar complications it will be August before he is fully healed. It could be at October or more before he is up to speed and that's if rehab goes according to plan. If we buy Song or an equivalent can we cope with one addition and our current midfield until Strootman recovers fully and that's if he recovers fully.

The issue with leaving Strootman is that you provide him another season to shine and inflating his price even more.

He was a stupid bargain at 12-15m last year. I would imagine his fee is at minimum €25m this summer.

I don't think this injury will be a setback, he's young enough to cope with it, and a firey return could see him being valued at €35m+ next summer. The only benefit here is that he won't be lighting up a world cup and fetching €40m, which he probably would have.

Buying him now, and NOT rushing him back, while might cause him to miss out on a little bit of the league, provides you with an incredible midfielder at the club for a minimum 3 years. Potentially longer.

I'm going to be horribly biased on this front. Everyone saw my pandry over Strootman last summer and the devastation when he was let go to Roma.

But if he did arrive, I wouldn't rush him, I'd persist with what is there and let him come back at the fullest of fitness. I don't think you could expect him to light it up straight away. Your looking at potentially second half of season for his impact to be recognised.

But that is just in terms of getting back to 100%. This guy appears to have no issue with where he lives or plays. Once he's running around on grass he's settled.

United have had so much bad luck with midfielders in recent years that I'd be very dubious about buying one who is currently rehabilitating from a serious injury, regardless of how good he is. A year from now that comment may look foolish, but nevertheless...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I would prefer we buy him now and have him in September than wait to January which really could be too late.

Regardless, he can't be the only CM signing we make - we have to buy at least two, and two of top quality.

You'd rather sign a player who will be out for at least 7-8 months with a cruciate injury, without him passing a medical, than wait for him to be fit enough to do a proper medical?

You think that's a good use of €30+million?

And of all the players who've shone for Roma this year, Strootman, while good, was one of the lesser lights in their midfield. The didn't exactly struggle without him.

Roma's best players this year were Pjanić and Benatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If we end up buying only one midfielder, I don't think Kroos would be the right choice. He excels in a Bayern team that dominates possession and does very little in the way of defending. Would worry about him in the centre of the park for us as whoever comes in will need to do a hell of a lot of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Seaneh wrote: »
    You'd rather sign a player who will be out for at least 7-8 months with a cruciate injury, without him passing a medical, than wait for him to be fit enough to do a proper medical?

You think that's a good use of €30+million?
    Agree totally with Seaneh (I feel dirty now) :)
    As someone who went threw rehab of a cruciate it's no walk in the park! Let him rehab at Roma and LVG can tell him we'll see him in Jan. No champions league too worry about so no worry about cup tied either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I was 22, yas little whelps....

Told this before, but was walking back from bar in Dinn Ri, Carlow with three pints when the first goal went in. Thouroughly deflated.
    To this day I have no idea where they landed, and I ended up dancing in the fountain at 2am, completely forgetting that I had me new Eircell Philips mobile phone in my pocket.
    phone1.jpg

TheDoc wrote: »
    I would imagine his fee is at minimum €25m this summer.

That is an extremely optimistic figure IMO, I think we'll be looking at closer to double that.

That is an extremely optimistic figure IMO, I think we'll be looking at closer to double that.

That would be paying waaaaaaaaaaaay over the odds for a fit Strootman, never mind one who won't kick a ball this side of Christmas.

Lads, you lot seem to have built this fella up to being some sort of midfield messiah, he's good but he's not that fecking good. I honestly think he'll struggle to get back into the Roma team with Nainggolan and De Rossi ahead of him when he's back from his injury.

Nah definitely not. He would be unable to perform a medical, you could get a serious knockdown price if you bought a currently crocked player.

All this assuming the player wants to move, and if so he could turn some screws into Roma who would take a reduced fee.

Different story if he was fit and firing and about to partake in a World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Why? They've shown they're willing to sell if a good offer is made in Lamela & the brazilian Cb i cant remember his name.
    Double there money and they'd be happy I bet.

That would be paying waaaaaaaaaaaay over the odds for a fit Strootman, never mind one who won't kick a ball this side of Christmas.

Lads, you lot seem to have built this fella up to being some sort of midfield messiah, he's good but he's not that fecking good. I honestly think he'll struggle to get back into the Roma team with Nainggolan and De Rossi ahead of him when he's back from his injury.

I never said he's worth that much, just that I reckon that's how much we'd have to pay.

I never said he's worth that much, just that I reckon that's how much we'd have to pay.

I doubt it, Roma aren't really known for holding out for crazy money, besides maybe Lamela last summer.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Why? They've shown they're willing to sell if a good offer is made in Lamela & the brazilian Cb i cant remember his name.

They've shown they're willing to sell if they get a good offer and they have a replacement that's on par or better lined up. They'll want profit on top too.

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Marquinhos, yeah, they let him go for about €30 million , but the signed him for like €4million.

They've shown they're willing to sell if they get a good offer and they have a replacement that's on par or better lined up. They'll want profit on top too.

They already have Nainggolan, who, imho, is potentially a better player than Strootman.

If someone comes knocking with €30million for Strootman in Janurary (nobody will sign him when he can't even run), he's gone.

I hope you're right lads, I really do. I just can't see it being anywhere near as cheap as some of you are imagining.

Reports are he will be back in full training August, so this christmas talk is being pulled out of your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reports are he will be back in full training August, so this christmas talk is being pulled out of your ass.

Yes, I was reading through posts that I had not read and was wondering why some think it will be after the transfer window closes that he will be fit, when all the talk is about an August return for Strootman, as you have posted.

• Advertisement

• Reports are he will be back in full training August, so this christmas talk is being pulled out of your ass.

He may miss pre-season but other than that he would be ready for season start so good news if we get him.

Still think there's alot of undue panic about transfers. Still 2 weeks to go prior to WC and I hope at least 1 transfer by then and the rest to be done after.

WC is a two way street. Great oppurtunity to pick out new or unnoticed talent but at the same time player cost expectations could rise so that's my only concern.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement