Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would love to see us pick up Shaquiri this summer. You could probably pick up him and Song for 30 million and both would improve the starting 11. Obviously we would still need a world class cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just so someone can correct me, is the following from the Premier LEague website correct
    The first commences at midnight on the last day of the season and ends on 31 August if a working day - or, if not, on the first working day thereafter, at a time determined by the Board.

While I appreciate business might not be moving until we had a new manager in place, and appreciate that's now only been like a week, I would hope business starts happening over the course of the next two weeks before the world cup.

While most players leave their agents with instructions so not to be disturbed too much during the WC itself, **** can get drawn out and messy.

At the same time if we have concrete players we want, I've no issue if attempts are being made and hard work being done to get them signed. But I hope we arn't wasting more time with unlikely/unrealistic targets, without being giving some form of indication it's a possibility.

The reason I quote the above is because while there is some good calls for everyone to "be cool bitch, be cool" , we are the guts of a month into the transfer window without a peep. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Reports are he will be back in full training August, so this christmas talk is being pulled out of your ass.

Roma claim he will begin training in august. Not full training. He won't be ready for the start of the season.
    But you'd know better with all your ITK sources and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Seaneh wrote: »
    Roma claim he will begin training in august. Not full training. He won't be ready for the start of the season.

Where are your ITK sources from? Considering you are speaking on behalf of roma fc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Seaneh is right. The fapping over Stootman is cringey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

glued wrote: »
    Seaneh is right. The fapping over Stootman is cringey.

Has there really been "fapping"? I must have missed it. FOr the most part, people seem to be discussing him cause he's an obvious target, and rightfully saying he'd improve our midfield. But I don't see many people acting like he'd be God or the answer to all our problems...

Where are your ITK sources from? Considering you are speaking on behalf of roma fc

I'm not claiming to have any sources beyond media outlets, I've just been watching and reading about Italian football for as long as I can remember. Strootman had a torn ACL, I'd be surprised if he made it back to full training by the end of October and wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't play before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was going draw up list of players we were linked with, but lets face it we will be linked with every half decent player under the Sun.

this "list" is a fabrication .

I was going draw up list of players we were linked with, but lets face it we will be linked with every half decent player under the Sun.

Pretty much, there's not much point in talking about specifics becuase LVG will have a much different idea of who he wants than the English media think he will.

I'd definitely expect him to try sign one or two Dutch players as he will know them so well, and I'd expect him to have a shopping list of some of the best young players in the Bundesliga from his 2 seasons in Munich.

• I was going draw up list of players we were linked with, but lets face it we will be linked with every half decent player under the Sun.

Under 'The Sun'

Pun intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So he'll be training in August, but take another 3 or 4 months to kick a ball. Yeah, makes sense.

The press mightn't have a clue, but surely it makes sense that there is a list of targets, that United aren't just randomly bidding for players.

I would say a list is most likely real, but that only a few people know for sure who is on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So he'll be training in August, but take another 3 or 4 months to kick a ball. Yeah, makes sense.

Kick a ball = Kick a ball during a match. Its semantics ye are arguing over now basically.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Kick a ball = Kick a ball during a match. Its semantics ye are arguing over now basically.

No, I'm arguing it won't take 4 months to go from training to playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its a really pointless argument though because the original point made was correct, United should not be paying millions for a player currently out with an ACL injury.

You've never torn an ACL I take it.

You're talking a MINIMUM of 7-9 months recovery for a normal person, for an athlete you can add extra because they need to build the muscle back up to protect the healing ligament. It's not like he had his cartlidge trimmed, this is a serious injury.

There is also a 10% chance it doesn't heal properly and remians unstable and needs futher, reconstructive surgery. In which case you can add another 12+ months to the time frame.

He's not going to be rushed back, there's massive risk involved.

It wasn't all that long ago that when players tore their ACL people talked about early retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The press mightn't have a clue, but surely it makes sense that there is a list of targets, that United aren't just randomly bidding for players.

I would say a list is most likely real, but that only a few people know for sure who is on it.

oh im sure they have list or keeping tabs on players.

just not 52,317 players we seem be linked with.

I understand much of what you said and you.were on ball.(sadly) last summer, but im confident of decent summer. Thing is for me that is 1-2 very good players and 2-3 other potential or solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

oh im sure they have list or keeping tabs on players.

just not 52,317 players we seem be linked with.

I understand much of what you said and you.were on ball.(sadly) last summer, but im confident of decent summer. Thing is for me that is 1-2 very good players and 2-3 other potential or solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Fifteen years ago today. "Beckham... into Sheringham... and Solskjaer has won it!" #mufctreble http://t.co/EBWsVvw166

Pity I was only 4 at the time :(

I was there:) Best day ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You'd rather sign a player who will be out for at least 7-8 months with a cruciate injury, without him passing a medical, than wait for him to be fit enough to do a proper medical?

You think that's a good use of €30+million?

He probably won't be out that long, but it still can't be a sensible buy when he's only returning to training in August. He could easily be on course for a season of niggly injuries once he is over the cruciate. That type of thing happens all the time. Imo there's no way we should be buying him until he has been performing on the pitch for a few months.
    And of all the players who've shone for Roma this year, Strootman, while good, was one of the lesser lights in their midfield. The didn't exactly struggle without him.

Roma's best players this year were Pjanić and Benatia.

I'm glad you've said that. I was doubting my opinion. What I've seen of him hasn't matched up with the praise posted on here at all. He's very intelligent and strong and has good passing and shooting, but I've not been very impressed with his touch and control.

From what I've seen, I'd add De Rossi as one of their best players too. He is the one that puts them in control of possession and starts most moves going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The Daily Fail are reporting that Schweinsteiger could be available for £10 million, citing fitness issues and high wages as reasons for wanting rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Daily Fail are reporting that Schweinsteiger could be available for £10 million, citing fitness issues and high wages as reasons for wanting rid.

Jesus, that really is bottom of the barrel type stuff. And it's not even June yet.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    He probably won't be out that long, but it still can't be a sensible buy when he's only returning to training in August. He could easily be on course for a season of niggly injuries once he is over the cruciate. That type of thing happens all the time. Imo there's no way we should be buying him until he has been performing on the pitch for a few months.

I'm glad you've said that. I was doubting my opinion. What I've seen of him hasn't matched up with the praise posted on here at all. He's very intelligent and strong and has good passing and shooting, but I've not been very impressed with his touch and control.

From what I've seen, I'd add De Rossi as one of their best players too. He is the one that puts them in control of possession and starts most moves going.

What age is De Rossi now? I completely overlooked him but he should have been someone we bought years ago in my opinion.

• The Daily Fail are reporting that Schweinsteiger could be available for £10 million, citing fitness issues and high wages as reasons for wanting rid.

LOL 10 million. Such horse****e.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    LOL 10 million. Such horse****e.

Exactly, you'd get Fellaini's left leg and arm for that.

What age is De Rossi now? I completely overlooked him but he should have been someone we bought years ago in my opinion.

He's 30, 31 in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639554/Toni-Kroos-Cesc-Fabregas-dismissed-Louis-van-Gaal-Manchester-United-Bastian-Schweinsteiger-available-10m.html

Also being linked with Blind, Jaanmat, Strootman and Martins Indi, seems like lazy journalism to me. I would take Blind though, he looks a very good player, lacks pace but can play in midfield, left and centre back!

• Seaneh wrote: »
    He's 30, 31 in July.

Could still get 3 good years out of him. Would love to see him being mentioned.

Pro. F wrote: »

I think with certain players I just expect them to preform at a certain level so I'm less likely to be impressed by them, De Rossi probably falls into that. He was his usual fantastic self this past season and I guess because of where and how he plays it's easy to be under appreciated when you have Benatia winning every ball in the air and making great tackles and blocks and the Pjanic doing the fancy stuff in the final 1/3rd.

Totti also, was fantastic this season when on the pitch but there was more talk of Florenzi because he's stepping up a notch rather than maintaining a level.

• Advertisement

Could still get 3 good years out of him. Would love to see him being mentioned.

Yeah he's got 3 or 4 years left, especially seeing as he can slip back to CB if the legs go in a year or two.

• Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah he's got 3 or 4 years left, especially seeing as he can slip back to CB if the legs go in a year or two.

It's the kind of 'steel' we have been crying out for in midfield for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Also being linked with Blind

Can't see that happening myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was raging for us to get Schweinsteiger after his ULTIMATe world cup performance in south africa. (Please correct as I've the tendancy to let things drift into the one thing) but I believe it was his first outing at a CM after being converted from golden boy winger, and he was unbelievable.

A tremendous player with still plenty in the tank, but cant help feeling we should be splashing the cash on somewhat longer term investments.

Think he's too ingrained in Munich to move.

I'd love to know why all of a sudden Bayern players are being touted for the door. What's with that?

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd love to know why all of a sudden Bayern players are being touted for the door. What's with that?

Two reasons:

1) They failed to win the Champions League again this year. Journalists have a field day.

2) LvG managed Bayern Munich. Instantly wants the team at United. Journalists erection.

Id be amazed if we signed ANY Bayern player, just not going to happen!

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    Can't see that happening myself.

Why you say that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He'd have been prefect and still would be. But he seems to be a one club man, which is cool, so I doubt if he was ever genuinely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Rumor on the twitter machine that united might make Europa league and Everton to get champions league due to ukranian teams being thrown out....

Rumor on the twitter machine that united might make Europa league and Everton to get champions league due to ukranian teams being thrown out....

All Ukranian teams or just the ones that qualified for Europe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Would Ukrainian teams not be replaced by teams from the Ukrainian league, whoever is next in line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Why you say that

It was a terrible joke! :pac:

Why England? Why are they being dumped out? G'way Twitter would ya.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Why England? Why are they being dumped out? G'way Twitter would ya.

Rumour is the Ukrainian teams are out due to match fixing punishments. NO idea if it is true though.

Why England would be the one to benefit I don't know either - highest coefficient maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

hoY1lUN.gif

The Europa League can feck off.

LVG's transfer activity at Bayern.

image.png

zerks wrote: »
    hoY1lUN.gif

When did Giggs have that tache and hair???

Doing well in it would be beneficial to our coefficient helping us maintain pot 1 status for the CL the following season if we qualify for it. We could be overtaken in the CL rankings if we are out of europe completely this season (as we are right now).
    Currently 6th, a decent CL run by arsenal would put them ahead of us, and Atletico will move up a bit based on this season, and another good run next season could jump them above us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Why is Alaba on both the arrivals and Departures list in 10/11. Was he loaned out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

image.png

Not quite, Tymoshchuk & Gomezs transfers were done before Van Gaal arrived.

stankratz wrote: »
    When did Giggs have that tache and hair???

BFoV4wLCYAAcCND.jpg:large

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement