Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

J. Marston wrote: »
    Anderson: About time.

About time indeed. The greatest waste of space journeyman to grace a United shirt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's really important to me. I will be looking at the players wearing the kit every week. I prefer to look at things that look good rather than things that look ugly.

Is this sarcasm or for real? I've been on the internet so long that I can never tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

More twitter stuff

that would mean up to 10 players leaving:eek::eek::eek:

no way that will happen, as much an all as we have discussed it a few times here....

would expect much more than 3 or 4 more to go with Ando and nani being the most likely though id rather see Young, Cleverly, Valencia go before them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Is this sarcasm or for real? I've been on the internet so long that I can never tell.
    Last summer people were saying the new top looked like a chav dishcloth. Whatever the jersey looks like after a few months it just becomes the norm, it pointless worrying about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Last summer people were saying the new top looked like a chav dishcloth. Whatever the jersey looks like after a few months it just becomes the norm, it pointless worrying about it.

No last summer people were complaining about the collar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

For real. Some kits look good, some look ugly. I like looking at the ones that look good and dislike looking at the ugly ones. I'd rather not be subjected to looking at an ugly kit all season. Some of the clothing companies make ugly kits more often and some make good ones. I hope we get one of the better companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

When you look at something a lot you can get used to it. But an ugly kit is an ugly kit and they bother me all season. There's no worrying being done, just a preference for stuff that looks good rather than bad to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

It's also really really important to me that the jersey isn't ugly. I really couldn't bear having to look at an ugly jersey. I actually shudder just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

When deciding who i cheer for in relegation battles or promotion battles I sometimes decide who has the nicest jerseys and tend to side with them. No joke.

I can't stand West Ham jerseys for instance and therefore have never really liked the club. Boltons jerseys really bored me so I didn't really care about them. I really dislike Man City's shade of blue and that makes me hate them even more.

All ridiculous statements but unfortunately true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Love dortmunds council staff yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fingers crossed for adidas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal is considering a £30m double swoop for Feyenoord midfielder Jordy Clasie, 22, and central defender Bruno Martins Indi, 22.
    Full story: Daily Express (external)

Van Gaal will also have to decide on whether Anderson, 26, has a future at Old Trafford. Serie A side Fiorentina have opted not to sign the Brazilian midfielder on a permanent deal following an unproductive loan spell in Italy.
    Full story: Daily Telegraph (external)

Rio Ferdinand, 35, is said to be seriously considering a move to Queens Park Rangers after being released by Manchester United.
    Full story: Guardian (external)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Last season's jersey was nice! The year before that however...

I wasn't talking about the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ob0bD6S.jpg

Bebe with his awards for top scorer and MVP for Pacos, delighted for the lad.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Few highlights from Januzajs debut last night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Random news (Stolen mostly from Reddit)

Ogden's newest transfer lists.
    Out - Anderson, Nani, Young, Fellaini, Zaha, Cleverley and Hernandez.
    In - Hummels, Kevin Strootman and Shaw.

M.E.N. has the same Inbound list, and Reus as well.

Ogden saying Shaw is 95% done but will be after the WC now. Pilib de Brun says Shaw has made all the arrangements to move to Manchester. And Jamie Jackson, who tends to be very negative with regards United news, says United are extremely confident it will happen.

The Mirror are reporting that Van Gaal wants Jordy Clasie and Bruno Martins Indi.

Several sources have Macheda set to join Cardiff and Rio possibly joining his old mentor Harry Redknapp at QPR. Mail are reporting that Sporting Braga want Bebe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ob0bD6S.jpg

Bebe with his awards for top scorer and MVP for Pacos, delighted for the lad.:)

Delighted for him :-)

• Advertisement

a summer of Shaw, Hummels and Strootman with up to 8 players leaving, would be a poor/disappointing one, especially with Strootman starting the season injured and possibly missing up to 1/4 of it.

if that is true, then i really do worry about the club and that the wrong men are running it, the amount of basic mistakes and lack of proper planning that we have is startling.

off the pitch we are excellent, but it looks like certain people are forgetting first and foremost that we are a football club and without football, the business suffers.

Shaw, Hummels and Stootman would be three signings dealing with the three areas that need the most attention :confused:

I'd be ****ing thrilled with that....

a summer of Shaw, Hummels and Strootman with up to 8 players leaving, would be a poor/disappointing one, especially with Strootman starting the season injured and possibly missing up to 1/4 of it.

if that is true, then i really do worry about the club and that the wrong men are running it, the amount of basic mistakes and lack of proper planning that we have is startling.

off the pitch we are excellent, but it looks like certain people are forgetting first and foremost that we are a football club and without football, the business suffers.

I think they're three reasonable targets that have seemed to be getting thrown around a lot. Whether thats truth or not we'll have to wait and see. I think you can also expect youth players being brought up and also a few more dutch/german players coming in under the radar, too.

You have based this post on a rumours from reddit post. Nobody knows how many are coming in or going out. It doesn't look like certain people are forgetting anything. It l9oks like nothing, based on those rumours.

Shaw, Hummels and Stootman would be three signings dealing with the three areas that need the most attention :confused:

we need more than that, that will help us to close the gap to 4th, but thats about it. if we want to start getting close to Chelsea, Liverpool and City we wont do it with only them 3, especially with (as i clearly stated in the post) multiple of our title winning team leaving.

and you missed the point that Strootman is currently only 2 months into rehab after a Cruciate injury.
    You have based this post on a rumours from reddit post. Nobody knows how many are coming in or going out. It doesn't look like certain people are forgetting anything. It l9oks like nothing, based on those rumours.

and we are discussing these rumours. hence why i used words like would and if....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

This. I think these would be 3 solid signings for the start of LVGs tenure filling the gaps that need to be filled. Their all 1st team starters. No pioint in signing mickey mouse squad players to make up the numbers. We haev enough of them.

• Advertisement

we need more than that, that will help us to close the gap to 4th, but thats about it. if we want to start getting close to Chelsea, Liverpool and City we wont do it with only them 3, especially with (as i clearly stated in the post) multiple of our title winning team leaving.

and you missed the point that Strootman is currently only 2 months into rehab after a Cruciate injury.

Considering you're the one who has posted multiple times telling people to lower their expectations for the summer, it seems as if you also have some of the highest here.

The first point of order for LVG will have to be to address the biggest problems in the team, and those three players do that. The players leaving, for the most part, are fringe players; looking at the list in question, Anderson, Nani and Zaha didn't play a part in our season at all really, Young and Cleverly are widely wanted rid of, Fellaini had a poor season...only Hernadez has a case on the list being discussed in terms of having a huge amount to offer.

I honestly think that as things stand, we're not actually losing out on anything vital when it comes to players leaving; those leaving were either too old to play on a top level, didn't play a role at the club in recent times or are toxic and should be moved on. And a fair few could be replaced with academy players/not replaced thanks to no European football.

Right, some older players went, but Hummels would be a replacement for Vidic/Rio, especially if Jones (dirty word, I know), Smalling, Evans and a kid get brought it. Going to be very difficult to find a better CB who is available imo.

Strootman is hurt but its obvious that LVG has a tonne of faith in him, and I could see him being moulded into our captain very easily over the next season or two if he recovers. If, I know being a big word, but there's going to have to be some trust there with LVG.

LVG was brought in to rebuild the team and he'll need foundations before he starts splurging on "stars"; as you've pointed out constantly, we were never going to bring in 6-7 top new first teamers.

So I guess it goes back to a question asked a few days ago which wasn't answered, and I'll aim at you homerjay since you tend (no offence) to be very negative very quick towards things....do you trust LVG with the rebuilding process? And if so/not, why?

billyhead wrote: »
    This. I think these would be 3 solid signings for the start of LVGs tenure filling the gaps that need to be filled. Their all 1st team starters. No pioint in signing mickey mouse squad players to make up the numbers. We haev enough of them.

3 signings is not enough, especially when we have lost some key players from our title winning side already.

and an injured player is not the solution to our biggest problem of them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd be hoping for Shaw, Hummels and Strootman being our 'big' signings, and added to be players like Clasie and Indi (who we have been unsurprisingly linked too).

EDIT: THis isn't saying I think Clasie or Indi should certainly be signed, I know little of either - have heard Clasie is an underwhelming player though. Ppoint is 3 big signings, backed up by some younger players who will elevate the level of our squad, would be a good summer. THough I would prefer two first team starters bought for CM rather than one and a player simply of potential, especially when the quality addition is likely not going to play til September/October.

• Haven't time to go through the thread atm. Can sombody give me the lowdown on any transfer news today. Thanks.

I'd be hoping for Shaw, Hummels and Strootman being our 'big' signings, and added to be players like Clasie and Indi (who we have been unsurprisingly linked too).

I think that's highly likely tbh; the latter two wouldn't shift all that many papers so you won't hear many stories about them though...

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Haven't time to go through the thread atm. Can sombody give me the lowdown on any transfer news today. Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90568125&postcount=6569

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Away on holiday...have we signed Toni Kroos yet?!!

ericzeking wrote: »
    Away on holiday...have we signed Toni Kroos yet?!!

You... you may want to sit down for this...

and we are discussing these rumours. hence why i used words like would and if....

The last part of your post says "it looks like certain people......"

This conclusion is based on a rumours post. How about this: We are signing all of those plus Reus, Classie and Indi Martins - also mentioned in that post - and selling all names nentioned in that post. How does it look now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

MagicIRL wrote: »
    You... you may want to sit down for this...

Sure I'm stretched out on a sun bed!

Ah well...you know I'd be thinking more that lvg will bring in young players he might know rather than massive names...haven't seen that Clasie lad but his profile looks good, young dutch international in a position we need improvement, his profile is not unlike pre Roma Strootman, am I right?
    Id be inclined to trust LVG to spot a star. In fact id imagine it was one of his selling points as manager, to be able to get that player before it costs you 40million quid...after all the Glazers and Woody are all about the money yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see his point though. It would mean that despite all the big talk we would be walking out for our first game of the season with a midfield of Carrick, Felliani or Cleverley, and that would be utterly criminal.

We need three midfielders, not just a single injured one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Stop reading the garbage in the gossip columns, we'll sign some players. Van Gaal will also wanna have a look at some of the current squad before he makes a decision.

In saying that I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Valencia, Rooney or Kagawa as a Central Midfielder next season in a three, Van Gaal has a history of changing players styles, before Schweinsteiger and Alaba at Bayern, I think he got Cocu at Barca to play as a holding MF player when he had been a wide player in the Dutch league.

Have Fate!

I can see his point though. It would mean that despite all the big talk we would be walking out for our first game of the season with a midfield of Carrick, Felliani or Cleverley, and that would be utterly criminal.

We need three midfielders, not just a single injured one.

I get that, but that wouldn't mean I wouldn't still be happy with Shaw and Hummels filling the other two spots. I'm not arguing that it wouldn't still be problematic; just that I don't think we're going to sign a tonne of top class guys, and Shaw, Strootman and Hummels would be a great window in terms of laying the foundations again. And as I said, I think they'd be complimented by other guys that aren't "stars" but whom LVG likes, and players already there who LVG might utilize in different ways.

LVG has been brought in to rebuild the squad. As Homer has pointed out before, that's not going to happen overnight and we're not going to bring in a tonne of first team players. So while I'd like 3 midfielders, we NEED a new left back and center back too, so if our three big signings are spread over them, that will keep me happy to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Personally speaking, I have rarely being embarrassed being a United supporter but the last twelve months have been one PR disaster after another. And the clubs policy of secrecy and not given a **** what our opinions are have not helped, with speculation and drawn out transfer sagas.

Of course I can only speculate but from the outside it looks as if the club had a list of transfer targets, a list drawn up by a manger sacked for being not up to the standards of a club like United and without any plan B the club spent considerable time and effort trying to acquire these targets, even after he was sacked. Some of these players may even have been very close to completion and may have been the marquee signings we as supporters are craving. And now a manager tipped for the job months ago, has had a final say in who we are to sign and has refused the signings because they don't fit into his plans. Something he is perfectly entitled to do and has the track record to prove given the correct resources he will provide the right results.

So my questions are these, how does a club board deem it ok to pursue a vision of a manager whose plans were deemed a failure and think the new manager could force these new cogs into his plan? At what stage of the process was Van Gaal's targets discussed? When did negotiations start for these new targets?

It may be the club are planning a 'big moment' and reveal a number of signings, possibly even after the WC which would be torturous for us supporters as we know the club needs a 'pick me up now'. As someone pointed out last week, Chelsea seem to be able to start and finish their transfer negotiations within a few days. The exception was dealing with Untied for Mata and that had to be done via a third party. WTF??? If we can't negotiate properly with a club willing to sell one of their star players, and a player who clearly put United's prestige above their current league standing then what fcuking chance do we have convincing unwilling sellers and players needing to be convinced to buy into the new United.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Since cleverly hqs been linked on the way out , what do people here think well get for him if hes sold ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

dor843088 wrote: »
    Since cleverly hqs been linked on the way out , what do people here think well get for him if hes sold ?

40 million from PSG

Of course I can only speculate but from the outside it looks as if the club had a list of transfer targets, a list drawn up by a manger sacked for being not up to the standards of a club like United and without any plan B the club spent considerable time and effort trying to acquire these targets, even after he was sacked.

Your entire point seems to be based on the hope the journalists don't just have a Bayern teamsheet on their walls and, at the beginning of each week, just throw a dart at it.

"So, who are United after this week?"
    *Throws dart*
    "Guess it's Neuer this week"
    "But Bill," says another nearby journalist, new so naive to how things work. "Won't people eventually know it's nonsense".
    "Of course not! When nothing happens, we'll say Moyes wanted him but LVG didn't so the deal was scrapped. Now shut up and hand me my money to wipe my mouth with".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think since we are only playing one game a week, we won't need to sign that much although maybe 2 cm's. Squad below based on signings mentioned should be enough to push for the title with CL being acceptable, season after then go for the kill.

DDG

Rafael, Hummels/Smalling/Evans/Jones, Shaw/Evra

Valencia/Nani, Strootman/Carrick/Fellani, Jan

Welbeck/Mata/Kagawa/Rooney/RVP

Leaving
    Rio
    Vidic
    Hernandez
    Young
    Fletcher
    Giggs
    Anderson
    Buttner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Your entire point seems to be based on the hope the journalists don't just have a Bayern teamsheet on their walls and, at the beginning of each week, just throw a dart at it.

"So, who are United after this week?"
    *Throws dart*
    "Guess it's Neuer this week"
    "But Bill," says another nearby journalist, new so naive to how things work. "Won't people eventually know it's nonsense".
    "Of course not! When nothing happens, we'll say Moyes wanted him but LVG didn't so the deal was scrapped. Now shut up and hand me my money to wipe my mouth with".

Quite possibly. It's frustration from a Summer of absolute ineptitude last year, plenty of leaked rumours of United's war chest (depending who you read its anywhere between £120M-£200M) and no transfer action at all except for a player who triggered a clause in his contract as it clearly entitled him to more money than was being offered by his other suitors. Something I feel the club were powerless to stop even if they wanted to. Great player as he was, he wont get a look in if Shaw is signed. Not unless he vastly improves his game, something we all know he was capable of doing before but doubt he can do again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

Any update on Rooney to PSG since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

dor843088 wrote: »

Consumer ombudsman complaint for misadvertised goods.

I think we will sign a winger too , one that suits the 433 system . It probably won't be Reus but could be that Russian guy Liverpool were linked with too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Invincible wrote: »
    Any update on Rooney to PSG since?

wow wow wow

whats this? when did this start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Personally speaking, I have rarely being embarrassed being a United supporter but the last twelve months have been one PR disaster after another. And the clubs policy of secrecy and not given a **** what our opinions are have not helped, with speculation and drawn out transfer sagas.

Of course I can only speculate but from the outside it looks as if the club had a list of transfer targets, a list drawn up by a manger sacked for being not up to the standards of a club like United and without any plan B the club spent considerable time and effort trying to acquire these targets, even after he was sacked. Some of these players may even have been very close to completion and may have been the marquee signings we as supporters are craving. And now a manager tipped for the job months ago, has had a final say in who we are to sign and has refused the signings because they don't fit into his plans. Something he is perfectly entitled to do and has the track record to prove given the correct resources he will provide the right results.

So my questions are these, how does a club board deem it ok to pursue a vision of a manager whose plans were deemed a failure and think the new manager could force these new cogs into his plan? At what stage of the process was Van Gaal's targets discussed? When did negotiations start for these new targets?

It may be the club are planning a 'big moment' and reveal a number of signings, possibly even after the WC which would be torturous for us supporters as we know the club needs a 'pick me up now'. As someone pointed out last week, Chelsea seem to be able to start and finish their transfer negotiations within a few days. The exception was dealing with Untied for Mata and that had to be done via a third party. WTF??? If we can't negotiate properly with a club willing to sell one of their star players, and a player who clearly put United's prestige above their current league standing then what fcuking chance do we have convincing unwilling sellers and players needing to be convinced to buy into the new United.

With regards the PR issue, I think most would certainly agree with you. There has been various leaks since Ferguson left the managerial position (although they did begin right at the end of his own tenure) and there could be any number of reasons for this but the general rumour is that Ed Woodward has proved to be slightly obsessed with the media, briefing them and may even be stroking his own ego by craving their attention. Fanzines have also found it easier to gain access to past and present players and coaching staff. The era of secrecy is certainly over at Old Trafford for now - at least until some scandal / embarrassing story is released and then they will tighten it up again.

As for the transfer dealings, well I have no problems with the club negotiating throughout the World Cup and presenting players afterwards. If it means we get a decent level of quality players, it will be worth it.

Was Moyes specifically drawing up a list or was Woodward gaining more of a director of football role? Im starting to think that Moyes had lost a certain amount or never had that control. I'm still baffled by the Mata transfer, simply because it was so unrequired. Brilliant as he is of course.

I thought that they used a third party for the Mata deal because of heated negotiations previously between United and Chelsea over Rooney?

Chelsea do tend to wrap up deals quickly, probably because they pay the agent exactly what they want without fail. Refer to the Eden Hazard transfer as the perfect example. His agent wanted a significant amount of a fee for himself - United turned their nose up at it and Chelsea stepped in. United arent willing to pay those fees it seems, at least not unless it is for an established player. Rightly or wrongly, I think thats had an effect.

Back to Homerjay's posts - I think those three signings would be a significant step towards a solid first eleven and I would be pretty happy with the layout of the team at that stage, but you would prefer if the midfield was bulked by another player or two. Ideally, I would like to see five players brought in - a left back, a centre back, two midfielders and a winger. We could speculate on who will leave all day, but I think there are plently that should go early. The squad is HUGE and it does not need to be.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639592/THE-CONTINENTAL-BREAKFAST-Barcelona-offer-Dani-Alves-Cesc-Fabregas-Alexis-Sanchez-64m-Marquinhos-flattered-Real-Madrid-set-sights-Undecima.html

If barca were willing to give us Sanchez and fabregas for mata I'd take that deal

Would this be acceptable next season

De Gea

Raf-hummels-Evans-shaw

---strootman--fabregas ---

Sanchez--kagawa--konoplyanka

Rvp or Rooney

It's a nice little team I think and not one that would be impossible to assemble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement