Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

wow wow wow

whats this? when did this start?

Week before last, speculation that he would not be favoured by LVG and would take opportunity at PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Considering you're the one who has posted multiple times telling people to lower their expectations for the summer, it seems as if you also have some of the highest here.

you dont see the difference between what we need and what we expect no?

we need 5 top class players, i hope we get them, but i dont think anybody on here believes we will. if we do, great - we will all be delighted. but after endless disappointed and abysmal transfer windows in the past 5 or 6 summers (2 or 3 exceptions of course like RVP, DDG, Mata) its hard to be optimistic.
    So I guess it goes back to a question asked a few days ago which wasn't answered, and I'll aim at you homerjay since you tend (no offence) to be very negative very quick towards things....do you trust LVG with the rebuilding process? And if so/not, why?

do i trust him? yes i do...

do i trust the board/club/ce? no i dont.

HOWEVER, if LVG is willing to risk our entire season on a player who had a cruciate operation 2 months ago, then my trust in him will drop. its a risk we dont need - now we need top class midfielders in as first priority, players who are proven and would help us to beat liverpool, city and chelsea in one off games as the season goes on.

by all means sign Strootman in January BUT we need to sign two top class midfielders before this.

and i am not being negative, i am being realistic. i could suggest that many people on here are too biased to have anything said about the club and refuse to accept that theres been massive failings over the past 5 years in recruitment at the club - of course we can all disagree who caused this - Glazers, Fergie, Woodward, Moyes....but please dont tell me i am being negative when weve a long line of PR disasters and failed signings in the last 12-24 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mata is not going anywhere. It's not happening. Please stop saying it. The mere thought of it fills me with grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Invincible wrote: »
    Week before last, speculation that he would not be favoured by LVG and would take opportunity at PSG.

Think that is actuallly feasible.

He may well play his favoured 4-3-3 with Van Persie as the central striker and may not feel that Rooney will adapt to either spot out wide or in fact to midfield without disruption. He may see it as a chance to cash in on £30m quite quickly and use it to bring in a player more known to him.

That wouldnt particularly be my wish by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Anyone interested in a World Cup Sweeps ?

I will arrange one if we get 32 interested players.

We could do €5 or €10 in sent via paypal ( as a gift so I don't get charged )

I will then use random.org to assign teams to the players. I will video the whole event :D

We should do something like this

( Example of a €10 game = €320 in pot )

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

Something like that

Players In
    1: NeVeR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

NeVeR wrote: »

I will then use random.org to assign teams to the players. I will video the whole event :D

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In

Sure I'm in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Mata is not going anywhere. It's not happening. Please stop saying it. The mere thought of it fills me with grief.

All I'm saying is I'd be in favour of it if barca would give us fabregas and Sanchez in exchange , we are already well stocked in the number 10 role and we would be strengthening positions we are weak in . If LVG gets kagawa back playing to his Dortmund form we won't miss mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It's far more likely Kagawa will be off I'd say. It would be bizarre for a player to leave after 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Invincible

Corvo wrote: »
    Think that is actuallly feasible.

He may well play his favoured 4-3-3 with Van Persie as the central striker and may not feel that Rooney will adapt to either spot out wide or in fact to midfield without disruption. He may see it as a chance to cash in on £30m quite quickly and use it to bring in a player more known to him.

That wouldnt particularly be my wish by the way.

I wouldn't mind seeing the back of him, too inconsistent, consider if they could get 30M for him and the wage savings, what players could be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Psg won't be making anymore big signings after Luiz & Alves imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lucas Hood wrote: »

didn't they get Alves plus money for a player? Rather than shelling out themselves?

Also, they could look to replace Cavanni with Rooney - Cavanni is rumoured to be unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Yaya was quoted on SSN saying "It would be an honour to play for a club like PSG".
    Strange to see a player angling for a move away from City for more money plus PSG really don't care about FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

didn't they get Alves plus money for a player? Rather than shelling out themselves?

Also, they could look to replace Cavanni with Rooney - Cavanni is rumoured to be unhappy.
    €20M Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

. I'm not arguing that it wouldn't still be problematic; .

well actually you are...you said youd be ****ing thrilled.

signing Hummels, Shaw and Kross (or any other world class midfielder) i would be fairly thrilled myself and in normal circumstances Strootman would be great, but the lad could take 2 or 3 months to get back to his best and this is huge problem.

anyway, its all relative until if/when it happens, hopefully it wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Kagawa was playing today with Japan he really is a different player with us, some of the passing was great and his control in tight spaces is brilliant, can't wait to see him at the WC.

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In
    Gadge wrote: »
    Sure I'm in!

Players In
    2: Gadge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Players In

Yeah put me in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In

I'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Kagawa was playing today with Japan he really is a different player with us, some of the passing was great and his control in tight spaces is brilliant, can't wait to see him at the WC.

How many times was he quoted as asking to be trusted on the pitch,I reckon he'd thrive under LVG.
    The ultra defensive stodgy football we played last season would choke the life out of any creative player,especially if like Kagawa he didn't get enough game time and ended up in a formation which left the back 6 (Carrick/A.N Other basically played as defenders) so disconnected from the front 4.

It's odd that even Fergie didn't seem to trust him yet played Park when he was at United when he was technically inferior and just as easy to knock off the ball.

During games in the last season it was criminal watching him find pockets of space and demanding the ball yet time & again the likes of Carrick ignored him and either played a 5 yard pass to Cleverley or back to Rio which inevitably led to us surrendering possession or a hail Mary diagonal ball to Valencia.Mata suffered the same fate during games,it was if he was on a plane above the rest who seemed incapable of playing any intelligent incisive football.

Players In
    3: lightoftruth for sure Ill do it seems like fun, let me know when everyone is sending the money and ill do it for sure.

• Advertisement

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In

( I'm going to quote my post each time so new people can see what it's all about )

Players In
    3: keane2097
    4: Donnielighto
    5: LightOfTruth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Stick me in for the sweeps sher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639592/THE-CONTINENTAL-BREAKFAST-Barcelona-offer-Dani-Alves-Cesc-Fabregas-Alexis-Sanchez-64m-Marquinhos-flattered-Real-Madrid-set-sights-Undecima.html

If barca were willing to give us Sanchez and fabregas for mata I'd take that deal

Would this be acceptable next season

De Gea

Raf-hummels-Evans-shaw

---strootman--fabregas ---

Sanchez--kagawa--konoplyanka

Rvp or Rooney

It's a nice little team I think and not one that would be impossible to assemble

Acceptable? That is a world class team. I wouldn't be possible to bring in that many top names in one window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

( I'm going to quote my post each time so new people can see what it's all about )

Players In

Go on so, it will at least give me a team to cheer on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think it's pretty obvious at this stage that Rooney doesn't want to leave England. So speculation about him joining a continental club is very likely to be wrong.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think it's pretty obvious at this stage that Rooney doesn't want to leave England. So speculation about him joining a continental club is very likely to be wrong.

Yep always thought that.
    Young family and by all accounts a strong spirited wife I reckon will keep him rooted for the remainder of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Players In

Lob me in there boss

Ah I dunno that's one of those things you could easily change your mind about from year to year. I'm sure we all know people who said they'd never go to Australia/Canada/wherever only to decide "sure **** it I'll try it for a year" six months down the line.

That's without the carrot of probably a massive wage increase being dangled in front of you and only being an hour or two from home as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

well actually you are...you said youd be ****ing thrilled.

signing Hummels, Shaw and Kross (or any other world class midfielder) i would be fairly thrilled myself and in normal circumstances Strootman would be great, but the lad could take 2 or 3 months to get back to his best and this is huge problem.

anyway, its all relative until if/when it happens, hopefully it wont.

I would be thrilled; there'd still be problems but that doesn't mean I couldnt be happy moves with major strides in the right direction. There's degrees of happiness, and if we signed those three as a LB, CB and CM, then I would be thrilled.

If LVG, with his CV and experience says "This is a player I trust and think will do the job", then I too will trust him; LVG knows better than most what type of player he is and when he'll be due back, what work ethic he brings and what other factors he brings to the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ah I dunno that's one of those things you could easily change your mind about from year to year. I'm sure we all know people who said they'd never go to Australia/Canada/wherever only to decide "sure **** it I'll try it for a year" six months down the line.

That's without the carrot of probably a massive wage increase being dangled in front of you and only being an hour or two from home as well.

I'd say its more likely a big euro club has never been in for him, so he has never thought about going abroad. If Madrid or Barca came in for him I reckon he'd be interesed. Munich too. I think PSG could entice him too now, money & ease to get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd say its more likely a big euro club has never been in for him, so he has never thought about going abroad. If Madrid or Barca came in for him I reckon he'd be interesed. Munich too. I think PSG could entice him too now, money & ease to get home.

More than likely it's never been a serious proposition for him alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

xtal191 wrote: »

I'm in work so I can't hear the lyrics but if that song's chorus doesn't go to Balinda Carlisle's 'Heaven is a Place On Earth' I'll be distraught.

"Oooooo baby, do you know what that's worth?"
    "Ooo heaven sent us Louis Van Gaal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'm in work so I can't hear the lyrics but if that song's chorus doesn't go to Balinda Carlisle's 'Heaven is a Place On Earth' I'll be distraught.

You have heard of The Smiths I take it? Is my irony detector switched off?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In
    Count me in too ladeen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

nullzero wrote: »
    You have heard of The Smiths I take it? Is my irony detector switched off?

Morrisey is a nut and an ass.

Morrisey is a nut and an ass.

You've made a powerful enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Players In

I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Why is there discussion of offloading Mata?

I'd be under the impression LVG would be jizzing over him as part of his 4-4-3 or recent 3-5-2 expirement.

Kagawa might well get a chance to prove his naysayers wrong aswell.

Doubt the manager will offload them without viewings first hand.

Selling Mata sounds outragous. Took time to settle in a difficult situation. End of season form was what we were used to seeing. Goals and assists.

Hopefully can make a major impact next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TheDoc wrote: »

I'd be under the impression LVG would be jizzing over him as part of his 4-4-3 or recent 3-5-2 expirement.

Kagawa might well get a chance to prove his naysayers wrong aswell.

Doubt the manager will offload them without viewings first hand.

Selling Mata sounds outragous. Took time to settle in a difficult situation. End of season form was what we were used to seeing. Goals and assists.

Hopefully can make a major impact next year.

Mata doesn't really fit in in a 4-3-3. Not sure what variation of 3-5-2 it is, but Mata doesn't have the pace to play on the wing and he won't over much cover for the FB. It's the no.10 role or else he's wasted IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »

Please not The ****ing Smiths!!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

I'm not sure there is any serious discussion, but to answer the question.

Any objective analysis of our squad shows it is horribly unbalanced, with a surplus of specific types of attacker at the same time as a horrible deficit in other areas.

The rational thing would be to liquidise some of the attacking assets and reinvest in the areas that need investment. So United should definitely be thinking of selling either Rooney, Kagawa or Mata. More to the point they should not have been buying a player they didn't need in the first place, but thats by the by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Players In

Ill Jump in on this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Lukker- wrote: »
    Mata doesn't really fit in in a 4-3-3. Not sure what variation of 3-5-2 it is, but Mata doesn't have the pace to play on the wing and he won't over much cover for the FB. It's the no.10 role or else he's wasted IMO.

There is a number 10 in the formation that van Gaal calls his 433. He uses two hard working central midfielders, two wide men, a number 10 and a centre forward. I'd normally think of a 433 as having one deep lying defensive CM and two CMs who get up and down the pitch, but I've seen a few other Dutch coaches describe the 433 the same way LvG does. I think what those Dutch coaches are calling a 433 would usually be called a 4231 by other nationalities.

So there is a number 10 job there for Mata in van Gaal's system, if he wants to give it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

In fairness to Kagawa he normally has 95%+ accuracy in a game it's not his fault his teammates are donkeys and don't make intelligent runs so he can use the ball effectively

On Rooney we're talking about selling one of our best players over the last 6 or 7 seasons, but freeing up what 75 million over the length of his contract and a transfer fee could get us more players to fit Van Gaal's system and probably benefit us in the long run

Scholes said Rooney may have peaked when he scored the 27 goals or whatever it was, I don't think that's correct. Rooney playing as the main striker will get you those figures, but we have RVP and the most effective systems these days seems to be one striker up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

There is a number 10 in the formation that van Gaal calls his 433. He uses two hard working central midfielders, two wide men, a number 10 and a centre forward. I'd normally think of a 433 as having one deep lying defensive CM and two CMs who get up and down the pitch, but I've seen a few other Dutch coaches describe the 433 the same way LvG does. I think what those Dutch coaches are calling a 433 would usually be called a 4231 by other nationalities.

So there is a number 10 job there for Mata in van Gaal's system, if he wants to give it to him.

DIdn't realise that. Strange, always knew it as 4-2-3-1, does the no.10 operate a bit deeper than a standard no.10?

I think this will be the biggest decision Van Gaal has to make. He has 3 quality players for the one position. Mata and Kagawa don't really possess any qualities that would he likes on the wings, Rooney can play as a striker but he clearly favours Van Persie.

Kagawa would be the obvious one to go. I can't see Van Gaal shoe horning anyone into his system. But I think he will give people a chance to prove themselves, it'll be the one who adapts and plays his way that'll be in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Any of the free transfer players be worth a punt on even as squad players?

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Yellow Card €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20

Something like that

Players In
    6: Vertigo100
    7: s.welstead
    8: duffman13
    9: irishfeen
    10: bucketybuck
    11: astradave

If i've missed you let me know.

Last bump tonight - I'll update the list tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Stick me into the sweep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

xtal191 wrote: »

Haha :-) someone should get moz himself to record this. Seeing as I'm nearly sure I've seen mentioned in past he's a united fan.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement