Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Please add me NeVer please NeVer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Reports today that Chelsea are hoping to hijack our Shaw deal...marvellous.

He's a Chelsea fan too.

If Evra staying on has messed up the Shaw deal, that's unforgivable. I know that he had an option to stay on, but we could have paid him to go.

The rumours seem to point to Shaw hesitating because he mightn't be clear first choice.

If neither Chelsea not United are offering 1st team football, maybe he's now gravitating towards his favourite club?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

In fairness to Kagawa he normally has 95%+ accuracy in a game it's not his fault his teammates are donkeys and don't make intelligent runs so he can use the ball effectively

On Rooney we're talking about selling one of our best players over the last 6 or 7 seasons, but freeing up what 75 million over the length of his contract and a transfer fee could get us more players to fit Van Gaal's system and probably benefit us in the long run

Scholes said Rooney may have peaked when he scored the 27 goals or whatever it was, I don't think that's correct. Rooney playing as the main striker will get you those figures, but we have RVP and the most effective systems these days seems to be one striker up front.

The wankaton on here over Kags has to stop. He's been poor or mediocre for nearly every game he's played for the club.

If he's here next season it's make or break. Plays anywhere near on par with his performances to date and he should be shipped out.

In fact right now if I had to pick one of Mata, Kags, RVP or Rooney to sell on it would be Kags hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    The wankaton on here over Kags has to stop. He's been poor or mediocre for nearly every game he's played for the club.

If he's here next season it's make or break. Plays anywhere near on par with his performances to date and he should be shipped out.

In fact right now if I had to pick one of Mata, Kags, RVP or Rooney to sell on it would be Kags hands down.
    Defo. Be disgusted if mata or rvp leave tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Can see ye stepping up trying to agree a fee for Shaw now that a clearout seems in the making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He has been a poor left winger yes

He's not a left winger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Not getting any deals pushed through before the WC can only be a bad thing for the club and If Shaw goes to Chelsea because we dithered over a couple of million it will be very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Very disappointing that deals haven't been done yet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's offical

TRANSFER NEWS: #CardiffCity can confirm the signing of Federico Macheda on a three-year-deal. #WelcomeKiko

Boq8syWCEAApGEp.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Very disappointing that deals haven't been done yet

Is it though? Are you walking around feeling gloomy?

I imagine I'll be disappointed when my parents die, can't say I give two fúcks about a transfer window that hasn't opened yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It doesnt matter if its not open or not. Utd can still sign players but not register them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We had the Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves deals by this time in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's offical

TRANSFER NEWS: #CardiffCity can confirm the signing of Federico Macheda on a three-year-deal. #WelcomeKiko

Fantastic! That'll free up an extra 50p to add to the Fabregas offer.

He has been a poor left winger yes

He's not a left winger

He's been complexly underwhelming irrespective of where he's been played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

United needed to act quickly this summer but it looks like the club is gonna try to do it slow just like last summer. Doing nothing so far to fight the impression web are a club going downhill under Woodward. Highly doubt we will get anything done before preseason starts now. The club is going to role out the World Cup excuse soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

That's a Jamie Redknapp or Souness analysis, you're better than that Deiseboy

I'd be worried about our lack of transfer dealings if it wasn't for the facts that...

1. It's a WC summer, so that always slows down things.
    2. We appointed a manager we knew wouldn't be free till after the WC so that was always going to cause a bit of a delay.
    3. No one in the premier league is doing any business yet really.

It would have been nice to get things wrapped quickly but the reality is it was always likely there could be delays this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We had the Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves deals by this time in 2007.

De Gea, kagawa, Young, Jones are just some of the recent examples of player who signed well before the Window open - all were signed in early-mid June.

in fact, the vast majority of our deals normally were done before the players returned for training until last year, which was the first thing that set alarm bells off for me.

it doesnt make any sense to leave business go into July or August, players need time to settle in and every signing we make should be done by July 1st at the latest. of course this year will be an exception due to World Cup, but time to have players in, is pretty tight.

RVP is the only recent example of a player signed late who hit the ground running and i dont recall many players signed in September who were instant successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah, all he does is complete the most passes on a team that struggles to string 2 or 3 together and brought the best out of Mata in the closing stages of the season. It's definitely players like him United should be selling. He got such a fair whack last season too. This just reminds me how much it grates me that he wasn't played for virtually the first half of the season and yet Valencia, Young and Januzaj could put in bad performance after bad performance and still play. Moyes only copped on at the very end of his tenure and even then made some baffling decisions to play him out wide when both RVP and Rooney were out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

United needed to act quickly this summer but it looks like the club is gonna try to do it slow just like last summer. Doing nothing so far to fight the impression web are a club going downhill under Woodward. Highly doubt we will get anything done before preseason starts now. The club is going to role out the World Cup excuse soon enough.

Im still convinced that all this talk of 150-200million to spend is bulls**t.
    We will probably sign 3 or 4 unknown dutch players and a decent center half and spend a total of 70 or 80 million

Make no mistake about it we don't have 200 million to spend.

100million is plenty to get the quality we need. Unless we want to over for every transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Robson99 wrote: »
    Im still convinced that all this talk of 150-200million to spend is bulls**t.
    We will probably sign 3 or 4 unknown dutch players and a decent center half and spend a total of 70 or 80 million

Fwiw De Telegraaf are very close to Van Gaal and they've been saying for ages that he's got a budget of £100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

100million is plenty to get the quality we need. Unless we want to over for every transaction.
    Fwiw De Telegraaf are very close to Van Gaal and they've been saying for ages that he's got a budget of £100m.

Now is this 100mill or 100mill + whatever he gets back from outgoing transfers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd be worried about our lack of transfer dealings if it wasn't for the facts that...

1. It's a WC summer, so that always slows down things.
    2. We appointed a manager we knew wouldn't be free till after the WC so that was always going to cause a bit of a delay.
    3. No one in the premier league is doing any business yet really.

It would have been nice to get things wrapped quickly but the reality is it was always likely there could be delays this summer.

1. The fact it's a WC year means nothing to me. The club should have been ready to seal deals prior to players going to camps, we needed to act quickly and have failed.
    2. We discussed the job with LVG in April according to reports, getting transfer issues nailed should have been a priority.
    3. No other club needs as much work as united, IMO, they can afford to take their time, no other CEO needs to prove himself as Woodward does.

In terms of speed and approach it appears no lessons have been learned since last summer.

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah, all he does is complete the most passes on a team that struggles to string 2 or 3 together and brought the best out of Mata in the closing stages of the season. It's definitely players like him United should be selling. He got such a fair whack last season too. This just reminds me how much it grates me that he wasn't played for virtually the first half of the season and yet Valencia, Young and Januzaj could put in bad performance after bad performance and still play. Moyes only copped on at the very end of his tenure and even then made some baffling decisions to play him out wide when both RVP and Rooney were out.

I keep hearing it Liamo/Rayne but I just don't see it on the pitch. I stand by my original post, he's been very disappointing for such a highly regarded player. I can't remember more than a handful of what you would call good performances.

Next year, if he's still at the club, is going to be make or break.

We ve a lot of attacking talent and to me he's at the bottom of the pile if we look at players who want to play centrally.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him progress but if people are talking of culling attacking strength to give Van Gaal more funds to strengthen other areas then he's got to be ahead of Mata to exit. Mata leaving would be mental IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Evra staying on has messed up the Shaw deal, that's unforgivable.

Not pulling our finger out and actually doing a deal is what may have messed up the Shaw deal, Evra will have nothing to do with it.

If Chelsea were to saunter up and sign a player that was supposedly a done deal to United over three weeks ago then frankly that would be farcical on our part.

scudzilla wrote: »

I'm not sure but guessing I say with freeing up of wages that it's 100million and if we sell we won't see that going into new players.

Down the years that has been the case. Even in years like 95 when we got rid of Sharp, Hughes and Andrei. ( I know that's long time ago but none happened since either)

scudzilla wrote: »

I assume it's 100 mill + whatever he gets back from outgoings, that's speculation on my part though.

Dont think 100million is going to solve our problems. We need a center half, left back, two middle of the park players and a winger.
    To get the quality we require for those positions or close to it you are looking at 150million

Anyone who thinks we dont need to fill the five positions outlined above has blinkers on IMO

Dont think 100million is going to solve our problems. We need a center half, left back, two middle of the park players and a winger.
    To get the quality we require for those positions or close to it you are looking at 150million

Anyone who thinks we dont need to fill the five positions outlined above has blinkers on IMO

I just can't see us spending 150 million.

I honestly can't. I be shocked if we spend over 100 if honest.

If we spend right we can get the players for right prices.

Like I said already its going to take more then 1 window to fix this mess.

• Advertisement

I just can't see us spending 150 million.

I honestly can't. I be shocked if we spend over 100 if honest.

If we spend right we can get the players fire right prices.

Like I said already its going to take more then 1 window to fix this mess.

I cant see it either Kew and agree with you i cant see us spending more than 80-100 mill. But we are not going to challenge for the league unless we bring in players for the five positions Ive highlighted.

I think there will be more pain before we see any gain

In terms of speed and approach it appears no lessons have been learned since last summer.

There are zero bonus points for speed in a transfer window. We don't NEED to do it quickly, we NEED to do it right. It would have been nice to get it done quick, granted, but what we need is to address the issues in terms of position and rushing into signings for the sake of getting business done quickly could be dangerous.

But we are not going to challenge for the league unless we bring in players for the five positions Ive highlighted.

Fairly sure Van Gaal's already said he reckons it'll take two years to turn it around so I'd be writing off winning anything next year.

I cant see it either Kew and agree with you i cant see us spending more than 80-100 mill. But we are not going to challenge for the league unless we bring in players for the five positions Ive highlighted.

It was during weekend I was reading the Sports Section of Racing Post.

Now these lads would be betting experts and looking from that point of view but not 1 of the 6 interviewed said we would make top 3 next season with only 2 of them saying we might sneak 4th. Few saying we would still struggle next season.

Now who to say they be right or wrong now but it did get me thinking that your last point about seeing pain before gain might not be such wild prediction.

I keep hearing it Liamo/Rayne but I just don't see it on the pitch. I stand by my original post, he's been very disappointing for such a highly regarded player. I can't remember more than a handful of what you would call good performances.

Next year, if he's still at the club, is going to be make or break.

We ve a lot of attacking talent and to me he's at the bottom of the pile if we look at players who want to play centrally.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him progress but if people are talking of culling attacking strength to give Van Gaal more funds to strengthen other areas then he's got to be ahead of Mata to exit. Mata leaving would be mental IMO.

Mata should be the one out on the wing. Kagawa is the best technical player at the club so should be played through the middle. Simple as, I don't care if it's CM or AM, he has to play there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

70-80million is a stretch IMO though the general consensus around is that Woodward is obsessed with a superstar signing...he failed with Ronaldo and Bale last year and i would assume Fabregas was his baby also.

he will be hell bent on getting in a top class signing this year. Van Gaal may help him deliver it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is there anything to be said for a good Mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mata should be the one out on the wing. Kagawa is the best technical player at the club so should be played through the middle. Simple as, I don't care if it's CM or AM, he has to play there.

Plays on the left for Japan and is a completely different player, they set up far different though with him looking to cut inside most of the time, also helps when Nagatomo doesn't go rambling upfield and forgetting to come back, I agree though he has to be played AM if we want to see the best of him, Hopefully LVG finally get's rid of Uniteds wing play myth that Neville harped on about all year. We don't have a Beckham or a Giggs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'll get the stats for you later but here is a cheap barometer. Cork linked to Fulham last season, Shneiderlin linked to quality clubs.

So you are telling me, Utd are given the chance of signing one of Cork or Schneiderlin and you choose Cork?!

I wouldn't bother with the stats. There aren't any that are properly useful for judging central midfielders.

I'm not interested in who Cork and Schneiderlin were or were not linked to last season. I don't use PL managers' opinions to decide who I think is a good CM. As a group, the PL managers are awful at judging that position. The general standard of central midfielder in the league is poor and donkeys like Gerrard and Lampard are lauded as the best in the position despite their extreme limitations. It's always the same in English football, eye catching passing, shooting and work rate is overly valued and the simple ability to control the football is overlooked.

Given the choice of signing Cork or Schneiderlin I would choose Cork every day of the week. He isn't as flashy, but he has much better close control and that is the key difference. Schneiderlin will catch the eye with the way he strikes the ball, his chipped passes and shots, but he doesn't have the skills required to help the team play their way out when pressed. Cork does and that's why he is a much better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Pro. F wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the stats. There aren't any that are properly useful for judging central midfielders.

I'm not interested in who Cork and Schneiderlin were or were not linked to last season. I don't use PL managers' opinions to decide who I think is a good CM. As a group, the PL managers are awful at judging that position. The general standard of central midfielder in the league is poor and donkeys like Gerrard and Lampard are lauded as the best in the position despite their extreme limitations. It's always the same in English football, eye catching passing, shooting and work rate is overly valued and the simple ability to control the football is overlooked.

Given the choice of signing Cork or Schneiderlin I would choose Cork every day of the week. He isn't as flashy, but he has much better close control and that is the key difference. Schneiderlin will catch the eye with the way he strikes the ball, his chipped passes and shots, but he doesn't have the skills required to help the team play their way out when pressed. Cork does and that's why he is a much better player.
    A completely bizarre post in which I disagree with everything you have just stated.

Calling Gerrard a donkey a cheap way to wind up Liverpool fans?

• Advertisement

Put me down as well NeVer if there's a spot left please.

That figure, the reported £200m, I'd love to know where it came from. Wasn't it just something that some journos ran with towards the end of the January transfer window?

Personally, I'd be shocked if we spent over £100m this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

A completely bizarre post in which I disagree with everything you have just stated.

No. He was a very good ACM/no10. He is, and has always been, a donkey when played in central midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Count me in too if any spaces left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mata was terrible when he was on the right for Chelsea.

stankratz wrote: »
    That figure, the reported £200m, I'd love to know where it came from. Wasn't it just something that some journos ran with towards the end of the January transfer window?

Personally, I'd be shocked if we spent over £100m this summer.

Ya it was around then alright.

It was crazy figure.

I think we will spend at least 70 million this summer but anything above 100-110 IMO would be very surprising.

If honest right now I would rather spend wisely if it meant not getting in that 1-2 superstars.

We will most likely get one big signing.

I don't think we will get anymore bar young potential (few Dutch I'm sure) and few solid decent signings.

I will go
    1big signing
    2-3 decent signings
    1-2 decent young potential players.

About 5-6 players but not 30+m for each one it wont

Ya it was around then alright.

It was crazy figure.

I think we will spend at least 70 million this summer but anything above 100-110 IMO would be very surprising.

If honest right now I would rather spend wisely if it meant not getting in that 1-2 superstars.

We will most likely get one big signing.

I don't think we will get anymore bar young potential (few Dutch I'm sure) and few solid decent signings.

I will go
    1big signing
    2-3 decent signings
    1-2 decent young potential players.

About 5-6 players but not 30+m for each one it wont

My own preference Kew would be to see 2 genuine quality signings plus 2 decent players who have potential to grow. I could leave the 'ones for the future' for next January, such is the urgent need for first-teamers to be brought in.

£100m, £110 tops this summer. In reality though, there's more than likely not anywhere near the money reported available for acquisitions.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Mata was terrible when he was on the right for Chelsea.

That's fantastic. He was great when on the left for Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

13027.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

It's very likely LVG will convert Valencia into a CM after the world cup. He plays there's for Columbia and has apparently been very impressive, a leader.

That is possibly one midfield option solved if he can operate at a decent level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement