Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think Shaw is very close to getting done - my guess is contract is agreed and United and Shaw are confident a deal will be done with Southampton, but I don't think the fee has been agreed yet.

I also reckon he is the only player we are close to signing at the moment. I reckon Carvalho and Kroos were quite a bit down the line, but have been nixed by LVG or the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

irishfeen wrote: »
    How much for a favourable draw then? :)

Sorry.. i don't understand this ? ..
    Do you mean how am I going to do the draw ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

NeVeR wrote: »

He means how much of a 'donation' will get him Brazil, Argentina, Germany or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Jesus the sooner we sign someone the better so the bedwetting can stop.

Its May lads. May.

Anyone planning any trips over this year? Only made the Everton game last year, thanks to some financial trouble but might try slip in a Champions League Carling Cup game this year

Damn you Moyes, damn you! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Haha don't mind me, I was only messing with ya.... Although Brazil, Spain, Argentina or Brazil would be nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think Shaw is very close to getting done - my guess is contract is agreed and United and Shaw are confident a deal will be done with Southampton, but I don't think the fee has been agreed yet.

I also reckon he is the only player we are close to signing at the moment. I reckon Carvalho and Kroos were quite a bit down the line, but have been nixed by LVG or the player.

Even with my limited knowledge of football transfers, I highly doubt a contract would ever be mentioned until a deal is agreed.....

thelad95 wrote: »
    Even with my limited knowledge of football transfers, I highly doubt a contract would ever be mentioned until a deal is agreed.....

Ha! Rightio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

thelad95 wrote: »

Southampton may have agreed to sell shaw and allowed shaw to talk to united and sort out terms while the 2 clubs agree the finer details of the fee

The transfer fee is usually the last thing sorted out afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I wonder with Buttner go to Saints as part of the Shaw deal? With Evra staying he looks surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

dahat wrote: »
    I wonder with Buttner go to Saints as part of the Shaw deal? With Evra staying he looks surplus to requirements.

He would make a wonderful LW. The chap can't defend but my god can he get forward. Whips in a serious ball too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭bren2001

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He would make a wonderful LW. The chap can't defend but my god can he get forward. Whips in a serious ball too.

Arjen Robben says hello. Buttner had him in his back pocket for the first leg. He might not be United standard or consistent enough but that game proved to me that he could defend.

He means how much of a 'donation' will get him Brazil, Argentina, Germany or Spain.
    Haha don't mind me, I was only messing with ya.... Although Brazil, Spain, Argentina or Brazil would be nice :)

Ah i see lol.. sorry early morning.

The draw will be very fair, Once I get my team.. you can fight for the others lol.

No really.. I'll be recording the draw and i'll have a lot of random systems in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

bren2001 wrote: »
    Arjen Robben says hello. Buttner had him in his back pocket for the first leg. He might not be United standard or consistent enough but that game proved to me that he could defend.

One game isn't enough to make everyone ignore other preformances; he often switches off the same way Evra does.

It would be so nice to have a left back who doesn't go for a nap regularly during games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We're now living in the "50millon David Luiz era" - nothing will ever surprise me again in football.

were you not surprised when Liverpool paid 35m for andy carroll?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Corvo wrote: »
    Jesus the sooner we sign someone the better so the bedwetting can stop.

Its May lads. May.

You know why comments like this don't faze me?

Because we heard them all last summer.

You know why comments like this don't faze me?

Because we heard them all last summer.

You realise quite a bit has changed since last summer, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ah i see lol.. sorry early morning.

The draw will be very fair, Once I get my team.. you can fight for the others lol.

No really.. I'll be recording the draw and i'll have a lot of random systems in place.

and how many recordings will there be? ;)

TheTownie wrote: »
    Oh it will have to be a live broadcast I tell ya :)

You realise quite a bit has changed since last summer, right?

Yeah, we lost the two first choice centre backs, our midfield has got worse and we finished 7th in the league - making us less of a draw for players - meaning we need to work even harder on transfers than we have been before. And as CHAMPIONS last year we could only manager to sign Fellaini, on deadline day, for 4million more than we could have got him earlier in the summer.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    were you not surprised when Liverpool paid 35m for andy carroll?!
    You know not as much as David Luiz actually, the brother a Chelsea fan so I would watch a lot more Chelsea matches then Liverpool/Newcastle - how that man is worth over 15 million surprises me but 50 million is beyond me.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Oh it will have to be a live broadcast I tell ya :)

Don't worry.. I've a system in place for all this :D

Southampton being picked clean this window as will Atheltico. Shaw (United), Lalana (Spurs) and Lambert (Liverpool) on the way out apparently.

Would love United to go in for Morgan Schneiderlin. Has the PL experience and is a very solid DM. On the French standby list for the WC too so he'll be cheap enough and not overworked this summer.

Yeah, we lost the two first choice centre backs, our midfield has got worse and we finished 7th in the league - making us less of a draw for players - meaning we need to work even harder on transfers than we have been before. And as CHAMPIONS last year we could only manager to sign Fellaini, on deadline day, for 4million more than we could have got him earlier in the summer.

Alternate persepctive...

Last summer, we were in a worse position for transfers due to the facts...
    1. We had a new manager who wasn't much of a draw
    2. A new Chief-Ex who was inexperienced.
    3. A squad whom had just won the league and who our previous manager had hyped up as being capable of winning again, meaning investment wasn't as nessecary on an obvious level (in that arguments could be made, as they were, that a new CM was all we NEEDED, even if we wanted more). This led to...
    4. A bunch of owners who could be convinced massive investment wasn't needed.

Last summer, those three things led to a difficult summer.

This is different.
    1. We've replaced our clueless manager with one who has a far superior CV, is held in high regard and who is known as a guy who lays foundations and moulds teams to his philosophy.
    2. We have a Chief-Ex with a massive point to prove this summer; Woodward will want to put last summer behind him in the right way (not the quick way).
    3. We have a squad who very obviously needs an overhaul and who will be under no illusions as to the level of work they can put in next season under the new manager.
    4. The Glaziers are smart business men; they'll know this summer more than ever we will need money spent or their investments will turn sour. They'll want the money spent this summer.

Yes, it would have been nice to get things done quick but short of going after the wrong type of player or overspending to a ridiculous degree, it was never going to happen.

This summer is about getting things done RIGHT, not QUICK. I have spent the last 6 months moaning about Moyes and my lack of faith in him, fearing United wouldn't do the right thing and sack him. But they did, and they replaced him with a proven winner. I have 100% faith that we'll see significant investment in the right areas. But I also accept said investment might not come till LVG gets to come in and sort things out. If anything happens before that (and I think the Shaw deal is about to happen), great, but this thing of panicing and writing it off so quick is hyperbole in the worst.

I'm not asking anyone, btw, to not feel worried or tense, or to write off last summer completely. Just asking for a bit of balance, cause right now, this topic is a tad toxic...

Southampton being picked clean this window as will Atheltico. Shaw (United), Lalana (Spurs) and Lambert (Liverpool) on the way out apparently.

Would love United to go in for Morgan Schneiderlin. Has the PL experience and is a very solid DM. On the French standby list for the WC too so he'll be cheap enough and not overworked this summer.

Think Spurs would be far better served seeing if Pochetino can get Lamela playing than shelling out a relatively big fee for Lallana.

Lovren and Cork are two other players that will be sought after. Lovren to Liverpool is the current rumour.

Think Spurs would be far better served seeing if Pochetino can get Lamela playing than shelling out a relatively big fee for Lallana.

Lovren and Cork are two other players that will be sought after. Lovren to Liverpool is the current rumour.

Ah, I reckon Lallana will follow his manager to spurs regardless. I'm also expecting Soldado and Lamela to have huge seasons with Spurs
    Lamela - Erikson - ?
    Soldado
    Southampton have some very good little players. I've been a huge Morgan Schneiderlin fan for a long time now. Lovren is another good little player. If the team starts selling then we should definately pick up a few. Even Chambers at RB would be a great little signing. Very handy player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

BBC reporting that Utd and Southampton are to resume talks today over Shaw deal, Southampton are busy!!

BBC reporting that Utd and Southampton are to resume talks today over Shaw deal, Southampton are busy!!

Got a link? Nothing on the Sports day feed at the moment.

Memphis Depay another name being linked with us. 20 year old LW from PSV and playing in the Dutch side. Would be a decent signing, no? I don't know much about him but jesus lads Nani and Young have been beyond poor for long enough now.

I have mentioned Nani, ABANDON THREAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Memphis Depay another name being linked with us. 20 year old LW from PSV and playing in the Dutch side. Would be a decent signing, no? I don't know much about him but jesus lads Nani and Young have been beyond poor for long enough now.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/472295967325450241

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27634009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya Baby!!!

• Advertisement

Phil Mcnulty, Howard Nurse and Adam Blackmore all reporting it on twitter

yeah im firmly of the belief that Young and Nani should be shiopped out, would add Valencia to that list as well but would be a bit much to get rid of the three.

Looking forward to watching Depay in their game at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anybody have any idea what we will do with Bebe. I think he is out of contract next season. So would you sell him for a few million or keep a hold of him and hope he continues his massive improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea what we will do with Bebe. I think he is out of contract next season. So would you sell him for a few million or keep a hold of him and hope he continues his massive improvement.

I dont think we can apply logic to the Bebe situation at all. It was a total balls up / shady situation from day one.

Anyone complaining about Woodward should look back at that, which was as embarrassing as any Fabregas screw up.

yeah im firmly of the belief that Young and Nani should be shiopped out, would add Valencia to that list as well but would be a bit much to get rid of the three.

Looking forward to watching Depay in their game at the weekend

I think out of the three Valencia will be less suited to a role in a 4-3-3 attacking system. Young and Nani would be good options for it but Nani is too injury prone. Shaqiri and Sanchez seem available and would be very good signings.

Sell him. Maybe get 6/7mill for him? We've already shipped Macheda off to Cardiff. Need to get rid of Nani, Young, Cleverly, Evra (sigh), Rio (gone), Carrick (past it), Valencia (may be kept as he can cover RB albeit poorly).

Rake of youth to come up and Shaw, Depay, Hummels and a CM to be bought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bebe is not going to ever have a future at the club and I would sell him now while his stock is relatively high in Portugal and get most of if not more then the fee paid back for him. Let him go and carve out a decent career for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The BBC are saying talks have resumed with Southampton over Shaw.I thought this would be wrapped up by now.We all blamed "Dithering Dave" for dragging out scouting & signing players but even now he's gone this 'done deal' is still ongoing.

yes we are signing a player

booo to it taking up 50% of transfer kitty

yes we are signing a player

booo to it taking up 50% of transfer kitty

What is our transfer kitty ? i would have thought it would be up around £150,000,000

• Advertisement

Corvo wrote: »
    I dont think we can apply logic to the Bebe situation at all. It was a total balls up / shady situation from day one.

Anyone complaining about Woodward should look back at that, which was as embarrassing as any Fabregas screw up.

I agree but from reports i read Bebe has improved massively this season. He could be effective in a 4-3-3 cutting inside with his rocket of a shot. I won't say i have watched him just seen a report from a Portugese fan on Redcafe who praised his improved crossing and first touch. He scored 50% of his teams goals last season he could be a better option than Young and Valencia.

What is our transfer kitty ? i would have thought it would be up around £150,000,000

anywhere from 100million to 200million depending who you read.

My understanding (purely from reading ALL the articles!) is that there is up to 200million to spend, over the next 4 transfer windows (maybe more if circumstances are right) and that the manager was going to be allowed to decide when it was spent. So maybe 200million is available, but the manager might only want to spend half this summer so that he can retool next summer if we need to. 4

I agree but from reports i read Bebe has improved massively this season. He could be effective in a 4-3-3 cutting inside with his rocket of a shot. I won't say i have watched him just seen a report from a Portugese fan on Redcafe who praised his improved crossing and first touch. He scored 50% of his teams goals last season he could be a better option than Young and Valencia.

Remember reading that Fergie was STILL bigging Bebe up last year - reckons there is a very talented player in there but he was always going to need a lot of time and training to progress is natural ability to the professional environment.

I still don't think he will make it at United, but I think he will make a very good career for himself elsewhere - the fact he was being widely spoken of in relation to player of the year and a place in the national side shows we didn't buy an absolute pup (however shady the deal was) and it could end up being a gamble that just didn't pay off, but came surprisingly close.

If we spend over 100m this summer I'll be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I reckon there's a huge chance LVG will convert Valencia into a CM.
    He plays there for Ecuador and has apparently been quite effective, will be interesting having a look at him this summer at the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think it's reasonable to understand sometimes delays or stumbling blocks arn't necessarily on our end, but on others.

We are dealing with a club who just lost their manager, searching for a new one, and who are trying to keep the wolves at the door from gobbling up all their talent.

I kinda appreciate that the Shaw deal might take a while, considering whats going on at their club.

beno619 wrote: »
    He plays there for Ecuador and has apparently been quite effective, will be interesting having a look at him this summer at the world cup.

I didn't know he played CM. Anyone and I mean anyone is better than Tom Cleverly at CM.

beno619 wrote: »

i doubt it.

LVG likes his central midfielders to be competent on the ball, good passers and quick on the ball.

Valencia is none of those things.

He is quick, utterly and completely right footed and possesses little vision.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think it's reasonable to understand sometimes delays or stumbling blocks arn't necessarily on our end, but on others.

We are dealing with a club who just lost their manager, searching for a new one, and who are trying to keep the wolves at the door from gobbling up all their talent.

I kinda appreciate that the Shaw deal might take a while, considering whats going on at their club.
    Reports are liverpool will sign Lambert over the weekend - doesn't look like it will take a month for them to sort that deal out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I very much doubt Bebe will ever play another game for United, but I'm still delighted to see him doing so well in Portugal. I think if he'd been in an academy at one of the big clubs from a young age he might have turned into quite a player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement