Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I very much doubt Bebe will ever play another game for United, but I'm still delighted to see him doing so well in Portugal. I think if he'd been in an academy at one of the big clubs from a young age he might have turned into quite a player.

He's still only 23. A loan move to a Premier League team could do him wonders. He's gotten a bit of confidence now with this loan and his goal scoring, sign him to a two year extension, loan him out and profit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

beno619 wrote: »
    I reckon there's a huge chance LVG will convert Valencia into a CM.
    He plays there for Ecuador and has apparently been quite effective, will be interesting having a look at him this summer at the world cup.

Why do people keep saying this?

Is it you? Do you just keep repeating it despite being corrected on it? It seems to come up once a week now for some reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reports are liverpool will sign Lambert over the weekend - doesn't look like it will take a month for them to sort that deal out.

How do you know they haven't been in contact for a few weeks?
    What it looks like to me is that Southampton weren't doing anything until they knew what was happening with Poccetino. All of a sudden there's movement on two different transfers.
    Also there is a huge difference between the £30m transfer of an 18yr old they don't want to lose and a £4m transfer of an easily replaceable 32yr old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

kryogen wrote: »

Is it you? Do you just keep repeating it despite being corrected on it? It seems to come up once a week now for some reason

It definitely won't happen. He's not going to want two converted CMs and Reus will already be filling that gap. Managers love to shoehorn players from other positions into CM is what I've learned from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reports are liverpool will sign Lambert over the weekend - doesn't look like it will take a month for them to sort that deal out.

Fair point I guess. Assuming that goes go ahead this weekend.

But I think if Lambart for €10m goes through, it's surely maybe a little easier then this Shaw deal. Even on the clubs part, letting a 30+ striker leave isn't as big a deal as your prized youth prospect.

Semes to be oodles of confidence around the Shaw deal from all quarters, have to say suprised there isn't a battle for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You have no idea how long it has taken though if it goes through, comparing the transfer of a 32 year old striker, when they already have Rodriguez at the club to the star young English hope in the team is a bit mad though isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

TBF Lambert is a scouser and a Liverpool fan as well as being 32. Luke Shaw is one of the most promising players Southampton have had and would command a much bigger fee and with a much wider group of interested buying parties.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Chelsea go for Shaw after selling Luiz

Nothing of the sort to base this off, but wondering if Chelsea might plan another cheeky Rooney raid.

Was definitely some belly rubbing during the Mata deal about how rivals should sell to each other. A good close 100m being made from selling two players in recent times, just wondering if maybe they might launch a cheeky one on him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nothing of the sort to base this off, but wondering if Chelsea might plan another cheeky Rooney raid.

Was definitely some belly rubbing during the Mata deal about how rivals should sell to each other. A good close 100m being made from selling two players in recent times, just wondering if maybe they might launch a cheeky one on him again.

doubt it - Costa looks nailed on for them, and don't see them going for Costa and another big money striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I reckon there's a huge chance LVG will convert Valencia into a CM.
    He plays there for Ecuador and has apparently been quite effective, will be interesting having a look at him this summer at the world cup.

He has the attributes that have served the likes of Carrick so well over the years,go forward a bit,stop & pass the ball backwards or sideways.If those are the benchmarks he's to be judged by then he'd make a fine CM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Valencia plays right wing all the time with Ecuador.....

I can see the logic about Valencia in the middle. Outragous stamina, decent tackler, built like a tank.

But you'd be wanting good positional sense and being really comfy with the ball, not sure if hes up to that.

Wouldn't hurt to see him in preseason friendlies doing the roll, but cant imagine it coming to pass.

I can see the logic about Valencia in the middle. Outragous stamina, decent tackler, built like a tank.

But you'd be wanting good positional sense and being really comfy with the ball, not sure if hes up to that.

Wouldn't hurt to see him in preseason friendlies doing the roll, but cant imagine it coming to pass.

Couldn't you imagine the meltdown if we don't sign a CM and play Valencia there after he's come second behind Young on most people's list of players they want sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I didn't know he played CM. Anyone and I mean anyone is better than Tom Cleverly at CM.

Sure thing, Captain Hyperbole. Sure lets stick Van Gaal himself in there so.

"Milk turns faster than Per Mertesacker."
    "My nan takes a better penalty than Mikel Arteta."
    etc, etc.
    Got a link? Nothing on the Sports day feed at the moment.

Memphis Depay another name being linked with us. 20 year old LW from PSV and playing in the Dutch side. Would be a decent signing, no? I don't know much about him but jesus lads Nani and Young have been beyond poor for long enough now.

I have mentioned Nani, ABANDON THREAD!

So to sum up: a player you don't know much about, would be a decent signing. Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Man, we are properly shit at transfers for a club of our stature. It'd make you laugh if it wasn't so depressing at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

kryogen wrote: »

Typed it up a few days ago but wanst sure if it posted, just checked their and it did so apologies, haven't been on as regularly as usual so missed the correction ?
    bangkok wrote: »
    Valencia plays right wing all the time with Ecuador.....

I believe he's played CM a lot recently.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of the idea without seeing him play their first. Obviously we should be looking to bring in 2 central players regardless.

v3ttel wrote: »
    So to sum up: a player you don't know much about, would be a decent signing. Good stuff.

Yes. I don't know much about him, but from what I do know he seems he would be a decent signing. So, rather than pretending I'm a football genius I came fishing for info from other fans. Is that hard to get your head around?

What I know is he's got 17 goals for PSV since joining in 2011, with another 20 international goals at Underage level. Plays LW for PSV but can also play RW apparently if required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

billyhead wrote: »
    I have no faith in Woodward as a transfer negotiator. Don't get me wrong he might be good at getting the marketing deals sorted but if he screws up the transfer window for us this summer he should be shown the door.

The logical thing would be to leave Woodward doing what he does best (i.e. negotiating sponsorship deals) and to bring in someone else to handle transfer business. Failing that, maybe bring Gill back just to deal with transfers and pay him appropriately. Perhaps a gig like that would appeal to a quasi retired guy like him?

But getting rid of Woodward would be nuts. If he has a blind spot in relation to transfer negotiating, that's not his fault...it's the Glazer's for giving him that responsibility.

Isn't he totally new to the role though? Like, no experience in this field what so ever. I think it's reasonable to expect he needs some bedding in time. I suppose though there is a good arguement that for a club our size we need experience in that role.

Although we might be jumping the gun here, barely a month into the window, with three months to go.

If we are sitting here September 1st and are happy with the signings, and feel good improvement has been made, doubt we will have much to complain about. I don't think it's as much about the method, simply just the final output thats critical when it comes to this.

At the time last year felt hard to criticise. Was strung along and didn't spot it due to inexperience, will be much wiser to that side of it now.

But we did have a bang for Fabregas, Bale, Ronaldo, Thiago among others.

Don't think its a lack of trying, might just be being too green to the whole thing. In his field very little room for mistakes, so I'm sure he has learned his lesson quickly.

He's risen through the ranks particularly fast, so I'd imagine he has some serious talent about him to be where he is now, and you don't get their without being a quick learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wasn't there a promising young winger signed last summer?

Is this Dutch lad better then Zaha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Although we might be jumping the gun here, barely a month into the window, with three months to go.

While I agree with you that it's early days to be getting knickers twisted, after the season United just had leaving signings until late in the window will be unacceptable for me.

Anyone who comes in needs a full preseason behind them so the team can be firing on all cylinders from the outset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Typed it up a few days ago but wanst sure if it posted, just checked their and it did so apologies, haven't been on as regularly as usual so missed the correction ?

I believe he's played CM a lot recently.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of the idea without seeing him play their first. Obviously we should be looking to bring in 2 central players regardless.

When has he played CM for Ecuador?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

duffman13 wrote: »

He started as a central midfielder.
    From his profile on manutd.com

His transfer to United curtailed a three-year stint at Wigan Athletic, where he had piqued manager Paul Jewell's interest with a series of impressive performances in central midfield in Ecuador's campaign at the 2006 World Cup.

While I agree with you that it's early days to be getting knickers twisted, after the season United just had leaving signings until late in the window will be unacceptable for me.

Anyone who comes in needs a full preseason behind them so the team can be firing on all cylinders from the outset.

My big reason for wanting deals done ASAP and getting annoyed at the lack of action so far from United is down to the World Cup - transfers generally grind to a halt once the WC begins, so I wanted a couple of deals done now - so we weren't getting into July needing to do deals for 4/5/6 players.

Woodward claimed that dealing with Rooney last summer hindered United in negotiating for other players, due to man-power resources being tied up - and this summer we need to get five or six players in; his comments on rooney don't fill me with confidence in his ability to do a number of deals if they are all left until after the world cup (and inevitable player holidays).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Been away for the past week. Any news on the team/transfers?

KH25 wrote: »
    no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

no.

Sadly, thats exactly what I expected.

KH25 wrote: »

Shaw back in negotiations according to the BBC.

But our pre-season wont be starting until what, August potentially?

It's a world cup summer, pre-seasons are shot to **** during that time, but I get where your coming from, but I'd say the sort of players we are being linked with, will be involved in the WC and probably be on rest afterwards, joining up with the squad later in the pre-season.

Agree though the ideal scenario is get the business done early so people can get settled ASAP, and be comfortable with where they are moving, going and doing, in the months ahead.

I wonder are Southampton purposefully stalling to get into WC territory. I'd imagine if Shaw makes a start, and essentially becomes "World Cup" status, Southampton might feel there is grounds to up the fee again.

• Advertisement

valencia does not play centre midfield for Ecuador!!! right wing every game

valencia does not play centre midfield for Ecuador!!! right wing every game

He's deployed in a central role in the last while....as most recently the Holland friendly, but also frequently during their qualifiers so I've read. (And saw the Holland game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm happy to see Valencia get a chance to play in the World Cup. He isn't a technically gifted player by any means and he is nowhere near Man U first team standard but you cannot fault his work-rate either on or off the pitch. The guy is a tank. Would love to see him do well and maybe his price can be inflated so we can sell him for a decent profit :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

But our pre-season wont be starting until what, August potentially?

It's a world cup summer, pre-seasons are shot to **** during that time, but I get where your coming from, but I'd say the sort of players we are being linked with, will be involved in the WC and probably be on rest afterwards, joining up with the squad later in the pre-season.

Agree though the ideal scenario is get the business done early so people can get settled ASAP, and be comfortable with where they are moving, going and doing, in the months ahead.

I wonder are Southampton purposefully stalling to get into WC territory. I'd imagine if Shaw makes a start, and essentially becomes "World Cup" status, Southampton might feel there is grounds to up the fee again.

Shaw will be very lucky to see any gametime, bar any injury occuring to Baines.

The player might just want to concentrate on the World Cup - maybe personal terms have not yet been agreed but the deal is in principle and it will be sorted after the player has wound down from the tournament. There could be any number of reasons, and not all of them a catastrophy.

Anyway, even if players do arrive before the World Cup, if Holland progress far enough there will be no manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I think it's reasonable to understand sometimes delays or stumbling blocks arn't necessarily on our end, but on others.

We are dealing with a club who just lost their manager, searching for a new one, and who are trying to keep the wolves at the door from gobbling up all their talent.

I kinda appreciate that the Shaw deal might take a while, considering whats going on at their club.

the problem is though with United, theres ALWAYS something wrong when it comes to closing out deals.

alot of other clubs get their business done much quicker.

• Advertisement

A Dnipro club source has told the Ukrainian media that an enticing offer from Old Trafford, believed to be around £12million, might be enough to lure their star man away from the Dnipro-Arena.

"Officially, there’s a specific amount for which we don’t have the right to not release Konoplyanka," the source said.

"If Man United offer favourable conditions and agree terms with Konoplyanka, then no one can do anything."
    Read more at http://talksport.com/football/man-united-edge-closer-ps12million-deal-fc-dnipro-star-14053093603#TFL2WGbt8sKqvGFX.99

zerks wrote: »

I've never seen this guy at all - anyone know much about him?

Would imagine LVG will go for someone he knows better though - hence why I think the Depay rumours may have merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm happy to see Valencia get a chance to play in the World Cup. He isn't a technically gifted player by any means and he is nowhere near Man U first team standard but you cannot fault his work-rate either on or off the pitch. The guy is a tank. Would love to see him do well and maybe his price can be inflated so we can sell him for a decent profit :cool:

Not a hope. He cost somewhere in the region of 16M. We'd be lucky to see 10M for him should he be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

duffman13 wrote: »

End of their world cup qualifying campaign and a recent friendly vs Holland.

He's deployed in a central role in the last while....as most recently the Holland friendly, but also frequently during their qualifiers so I've read. (And saw the Holland game)

he played right wing the whole game......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Why do you finish every post with.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Valencia would probably only fetch about £5M-£8M if we are honest. His wages are not huge but he should be sold. Young is the other major worry for me, at this stage he would need to be almost given away to get him off our books, if the reported £110K a week wages are believed.

Angel Di Maria is a player I like a lot and if the soundings are correct he is looking for a move.

Why do you finish every post with.......

do I.... :P

OI, SPOOFER, WHERE'S KROOS GONE?!

OI, SPOOFER, WHERE'S KROOS GONE?!

to the world cup in brazil

popped on to whoscored.com to see what positions Valencia has played internationally. Unfortunately they don't record that info for him.

However I did note that they list 'Passing' and 'Dribbling' as two particularly strong points of his game, so I now completely question and discard everything I have ever read on that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone got a cousin in Quito who can settle this once and for all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

at least the Kroos affair is over.
    still more optimistic this summer then last thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

popped on to whoscored.com to see what positions Valencia has played internationally. Unfortunately they don't record that info for him.

However I did note that they list 'Passing' and 'Dribbling' as two particularly strong points of his game, so I now completely question and discard everything I have ever read on that site.

Transfermarkt can help with that at times.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/antonio-valencia/leistungsdaten/spieler/33544

Down the bottom of that page:

Match day Home/Away For club vs. Result Pos.
    2 H Ecuador Argentina Argentina 0:0 RW
    3 A Ecuador Honduras Honduras 2:2 LW
    4 A Ecuador Australia Australia 3:4 RW
    5 A Ecuador Netherlands Netherlands 1:1 RW

That's just this season. You can switch the dates.

You'll be telling me he has a left foot next.

Have you tried transfermarkt? Very informative site, very detailed.

EDIT: Knex got there before me - the heathen.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement