Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Corvo wrote: »
    You'll be telling me he has a left foot next.

Have you tried transfermarkt? Very informative site, very detailed.

EDIT: Knex got there before me - the heathen.

Dems be fightn' words. Get off my turf, boyo.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if Valencia had my left foot he be cracking player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

VALENCIA DOES NOT PLAY CENTRE MID END OF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

if Valencia had my left foot he be cracking player

He had a left foot but then he lost it :D

He lost his right foot as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Keno wrote: »
    Man, we are properly shit at transfers for a club of our stature. It'd make you laugh if it wasn't so depressing at times.

Very true and then every so often without even a murmur, or a hint of movement. You hear about Chelsea sorting out their business in stealth like fashion. You have to admire them for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

bangkok wrote: »

Is this an IDK exclusive? Any chance you could sort out Shaw and Kroos too please? thx bbz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

He has played plenty of times center mid for Ecuador in the past, definitely years ago, not as sure recently but I doubt it. I watched the Holland game and he played on the wing as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It also doesn't really matter where he has played nationally. Maybe Ecuador have even worse central midfielders than we do.

We have also seen his close control, his ability to work in tight spaces, his passing, his creativity and his ability to beat a man with a bit of skill. NONE of it is acceptable for a central midfielder at United. If Valencia becomes a CM for us, it will be a sign that United are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Not according to people actually in the know.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/23665247
    Antonio Valencia has been turned into a winger in English football, but this was not his original position. He came through as more of a central midfielder. If he used to operate on the right for the national team, it was with full-back Ulises De La Cruz overlapping on the outside, allowing Valencia to cut in towards goal and unleash his booming shots.
    Benitez was suspended again for Ecuador's last World Cup qualifier, two months ago at home to Argentina - and for this game Valencia was moved infield. He played behind rejuvenated centre-forward Felipe Caicedo in a 4-2-3-1 formation, and Ecuador had the best of a 1-1 draw.
    Using the United man in this way has two advantages. Firstly, it opens up a place in the starting line-up for another flyer down the flanks. This is an area where Ecuador are very strong at the moment. Their football is producing plenty of quick wide players. Down the left, Jefferson Montero has established himself as a key man - on his day he can be unplayable.
    Against Argentina, with Valencia in a central role, the role down the right went to Joao Rojas of Cruz Azul in Mexico, though it could have easily gone to Renato Ibarra of Vitesse Arnhem in Holland, who ended up coming on as a substitute. These are all very interesting young players.
    But there could be an even more compelling argument for shifting Valencia into the middle. It could help shore up a suspect defence.
    After half an hour, centre-forward Caicedo limped off. Valencia moved in to play behind Benitez, and Ibarra came on to take care of the right flank. It was a different game.
    The final score was 4-2, though Ecuador had enough chances to have won, and Loew confessed he had been frightened by the individual ability of the South Americans.
    Valencia scored one, had plenty of shots saved, orchestrated the play from the centre of the field and also helped tighten up the team with his physical presence and defensive awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Knex. wrote: »
    Transfermarkt can help with that at times.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/antonio-valencia/leistungsdaten/spieler/33544

Down the bottom of that page:

Match day Home/Away For club vs. Result Pos.
    2 H Ecuador Argentina Argentina 0:0 RW
    3 A Ecuador Honduras Honduras 2:2 LW
    4 A Ecuador Australia Australia 3:4 RW
    5 A Ecuador Netherlands Netherlands 1:1 RW

That's just this season. You can switch the dates.
    I find transfermarkt very bad for international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Arsene Wenger has agreed a new three-year deal to remain as Arsenal manager until 2017.
    That's six points next season anyway lads

It also doesn't really matter where he has played nationally. Maybe Ecuador have even worse central midfielders than we do.

We have also seen his close control, his ability to work in tight spaces, his passing, his creativity and his ability to beat a man with a bit of skill. NONE of it is acceptable for a central midfielder at United. If Valencia becomes a CM for us, it will be a sign that United are done.

Im not disagreeing with you but I would still like to see how he does at the world cup if he does indeed play centrally.

Kagawa is a ****e winger and once upon a time Valencia was player of the year at United. The article I linked mentions Valencia and Christian Benitez were very close, that could be one explanation for his loss of form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

beno619 wrote: »
    Im not disagreeing with you but I would still like to see how he does at the world cup if he does indeed play centrally.

Kagawa is a ****e winger and once upon a time Valencia was player of the year at United. The article I linked mentions Valencia and Christian Benitez were very close, that could be one explanation for his loss of form.

Not rediscovering his 2011 form after breaking his leg would be more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Not rediscovering his 2011 form after breaking his leg would be more likely.

His best form and season where he swooped all the club awards came after that injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Mars Bar wrote: »
    His best form and season where he swooped all the club awards came after that injury.

Thought that myself. He was immense that season. Rooney scored some amount of headers that year from pinpoint headers supplied by Valencia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Was his best season before or after he got the number 7 jersey? Wasn't he saying he felt too much pressure wearing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Was his best season before or after he got the number 7 jersey? Wasn't he saying he felt too much pressure wearing it?

The most post hoc excuse of all time IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Before. If I remember right...

He got badly hurt.
    He came back and had the season where he cleaned up the awards.
    He played the next season as No.7 which was rewarded to him after his great season. He was awful.
    Then this season just gone.

Quite a few sources in Spain saying us and Barca are after Koke, but Barca will only pay 30m for him and we're willing to pay the 60m buyout clause.

Is he really that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Quite a few sources in Spain saying us and Barca are after Koke, but Barca will only pay 30m for him and we're willing to pay the 60m buyout clause.

Is he really that good?

probably not. never seen him play but he surely cant be worth 60 ****ing million

• Advertisement

Its a shame how quick he changed, I remember the Blackburn game and he was immense, he scored to put us 1-0 when they were playing 10 in defence.

NTMK wrote: »
    probably not. never seen him play but he surely cant be worth 60 ****ing million

Cant say I've seen him play either, but I'd imagine there'd be expectations of instant success at that price tag, given how people were so up in arms about Fellaini...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Oh yay, another Spanish release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oh yay, another Spanish release clause.

I think buyout clauses are a legal requirement in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think buyout clauses are a legal requirement in Spain.

I know, I meant another Summer of people explaining the tax situation when foreign clubs are attempting to activate them.

Rafael played centre midfield for united so did phil Neville, yaya toure started as a striker so did Ashley cole, bale started out left back.... Valencia plays out wide every game for united and Ecuador.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Why are people even discussing whether or not Valencia has or hasn't played in center midfield? I thought we all long ago agreed that all he has left are his pace and speed, and that he has no creativity, extremely limited technical ability or ability to make any quick or clever passing.

If these flaws are so blatantly apparent out on the wing why in gods name would we want to put him into the center where those problems will be highlighted ten-fold. Besides, we already have Carrick and Cleverley, with don't need another man in the middle who provides absolute zero to the team in an attacking sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Valencia plays out wide every game for united and Ecuador.

He doesn't, he has 100% definitely played CM for Ecuador a good few times 100%

Stop being so adamant when you're so blatantly wrong.

Oh, actually, you're the Reus in CM guy aren't you? bit of a blind spot for that position, clearly.

Rafael played centre midfield for united so did phil Neville, yaya toure started as a striker so did Ashley cole, bale started out left back.... Valencia plays out wide every game for united and Ecuador.

What a totally Ridiculous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/30/manchester-united-luke-shaw-world-cup-deadline-southampton?CMP=twt_gu

Jamie Jackson saying that United are hoping to get the Shaw deal done before the England squad head off to Brazil next week. Seems Southampton want £30m.

• Advertisement

Oh, actually, you're the Reus in CM guy aren't you? bit of a blind spot for that position, clearly.

yea the same blind spot that man utd have had since keane retired

yes but the other 99% of time he plays on the right....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

30 million might be too much of a risk but a risk worth taking as he is only 19 if I'm correct. With Evra staying he has a good mentor behind him and will make the settling in much easier and less pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Seemingly Lambart deal will be announced today, fee agreed and they want to expadite proceedings.

Appears we are trying to do the same with Shaw, and get him through his medical before they leave next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Fcuk it, just spend the extra £3M and concentrate on other deals. I have a feeling he is going to be a super player. A huge improvement on whats there anyway at the moment. Evra triggering his contract means another £4M in wages but its only for one season. Plus he could do well enough as a back up.

Get at least one CB and two class midfielders and I will feel a lot better about the squad. Jettison a few fringe players (Young, Valencia, Fletcher for a start) and suddenly the squad looks a lot more balanced.

Please, stop mentioning Valencia and CM... He can't even play his favoured position effectively...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Why does it matter if he did or not, if we ever have to play him there we're better off packing it in

yea the same blind spot that man utd have had since keane retired

yes but the other 99% of time he plays on the right....

99% still isn't every game.

Good old Becks

Bo4_9vSIgAAAe5U.jpg

*Might not be real

99% still isn't every game.

great post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

We can forget about top 4 next season if Antonio Valencia is going to be playing in CM. He's one of the most technically limited players I have ever seen in a united jersey.

This summer more than ever before, we needed to get in proper players, and to get them in early. It's looking likely now that we will have to do our business post WC, which is an overpriced and overhyped free-for-all.

The club is becoming a joke.

We can forget about top 4 next season if Antonio Valencia is going to be playing in CM. He's one of the most technically limited players I have ever seen in a united jersey.

This summer more than ever before, we needed to get in proper players, and to get them in early. It's looking likely now that we will have to do our business post WC, which is an overpriced and overhyped free-for-all.

The club is becoming a joke.

He's not going to play CM for us. Some people were merely trying to show that he has played there before.

As for the last line, that's daft but you're entitled to your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

So I sent a tweet to Tim Vickery, to ask had Valencia played Center Midfield for Ecuador and he just replied to me that its were he started in his career!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

He's not going to play CM for us. Some people were merely trying to show that he has played there before.

As for the last line, that's daft but you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't believe he would play there for us. But the fact that people are even talking about it shows how bad things have gotten.

Every club is/should be based on what happens on the field, and the success achieved on the field. I say our club is becoming a joke, because the business side seems to be all important these days, and ensuring success on the field appears to have taken a back seat.

Liverpool had a very successful season and appear to be strengthening already. We had a nightmare season and we're dancing to Southampton's tune over a 19 defender - who could still be picked from our pocket by cash rich Chelsea.

Jaysus lads I just made the suggestion LVG could try him there. Chances of that actually happening are highly unlikely.

great post

Still better than your few today..............

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads I just made the suggestion LVG could try him there. Chances of that actually happening are highly unlikely.

Look what you started!

bullvine wrote: »
    So I sent a tweet to Tim Vickery, to ask had Valencia played Center Midfield for Ecuador and he just replied to me that its were he started in his career!

But but but but Bangkok......he said he never did :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ferguson -

“There’s a natural instinct in him to help out and defend” “Of course, we know all about Antonio’s qualities as an attacker, but he’s so quick and so powerful that he’s also suited to a full-back role. He’s incredibly difficult to beat if you’re trying to get around him. We also see him as an option in the centre of midfield. He’s very disciplined and able to carry out any instruction we give him.”

Not that he ever used him there! I did watch the firs 20 mins of the Holland v Ecuador game a couple of weeks ago and he was suprisingly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Van Gaal is in for some shock when he sees how bad Center Midfield is, I wonder has Robin given him a heads up!:eek:

Liverpool had a very successful season and appear to be strengthening already. We had a nightmare season and we're dancing to Southampton's tune over a 19 defender - who could still be picked from our pocket by cash rich Chelsea.

Chelsea won't pick our pockets, the most reliable journos agree we're the only club to actually lodge a bid for the guy so far, he's also told City he's wants to play for us when they made enquiries (allegedly!) We only need to agree a fee and that will be done. I'm sure other deals are being done in the background, not just of the potato snack variety either.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement