Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Answer : NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Question: would we want Milner if he was available to us?

Yes, most definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He doesn't, he has 100% definitely played CM for Ecuador a good few times 100%

Stop being so adamant when you're so blatantly wrong.

Oh, actually, you're the Reus in CM guy aren't you? bit of a blind spot for that position, clearly.

Anytime I have seen him play more central for his country it has not been as a centre midfield in the way people are suggesting at all. It has been almost as a number 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Question: would we want Milner if he was available to us?

No not anymore, Prob would have taken him back in 2010 before he signed for City though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Milner would out-perform any of our midfielders even though he plays on the wing most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

K4t wrote: »
    Amazing the hate Welbeck gets from opposition (and some Utd) fans. Questions again being raised about his inclusion in England's starting 11 tonight when he's been one of England's most consistently better players for the last two years. He was also one of the few players to come out of this season with a shred of credibility and was our best performer in the games against Munich.

It's the flicks, tricks and audacious shots, (do the simple thing right ffs!) it's just so frustrating, sometimes confidence can be a bad thing. In fairness he is a fantastic athlete, but my god he isn't a 3rd cousin of a striker.

I'm excited to see what LvG could get out of Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No not anymore, Prob would have taken him back in 2010 before he signed for City though.

So you wouldn't have a player who played for city? Pretty short sighted.

I'd have him in a heartbeat. Strong, versatile, good engine, right age, good experience.

Sacramento wrote: »
    I'm excited to see what LvG could get out of Welbeck.

12. Million probably ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I'd sell Danny W to be honest. 15 million and your laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

steoin wrote: »
    It's the flicks, tricks and audacious shots, (do the simple thing right ffs!) it's just so frustrating, sometimes confidence can be a bad thing. In fairness he is a fantastic athlete, but my god he isn't a 3rd cousin of a striker.
    Thought he was very economical in possession tonight. Held on to nearly everything and always finds a teammate with a pass under pressure which is invaluable when you come up against teams of quality. Just have to hope he takes his goal chances when they come really.

So you wouldn't have a player who played for city? Pretty short sighted.

I'd have him in a heartbeat. Strong, versatile, good engine, right age, good experience.

No that is not what I meant.
    Before he signed for City he was one of the best box to box midfielders in the league ,he's very rarely played there for City since he signed for them so I wouldn't be confident he could get back to that level he was at when he played for Villa. Out wide i think he's too slow and too predictable so that's why I wouldn't like him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Was hoping De Gea would get a run out in the Spain game. Unfortunately Reina started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    No that is not what I meant.
    Before he signed for City he was one of the best box to box midfielders in the league ,he's very rarely played there for City since he signed for them so I wouldn't be confident he could get back to that level he was at when he played for Villa. Out wide i think he's too slow and too predictable so that's why I wouldn't like him now.

Is he better than Cleverley?

Is he better than Cleverley?

Better than Cleverley is not that hard. We need top class midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I can see Van Gaal dropping Rooney. He is too slow with & without the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

MD1990 wrote: »
    I can see Van Gaal dropping Rooney. He is too slow with & without the ball.

Rooney is fine when he's played as a striker. The problem is when he's dropped deeper. He can pick out fantastic passes but his first touch is not good enough for a midfield role. He is a far superior player when he is up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just seen on the guardian that a €30 million bid has been tabled for Lallana, thankfully not from us

He is good but surely there's a lot better value out there for 30 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

KH25 wrote: »
    Rooney is fine when he's played as a striker. The problem is when he's dropped deeper. He can pick out fantastic passes but his first touch is not good enough for a midfield role. He is a far superior player when he is up front.

I think this will be Van Gaal's first major decision as United manager.

Rooney's best position is up front, the only problem is Van Persie is still better and will be Van Gaal's first choice, Mata and Kagawa are both naturally better playing the no.10 than Rooney.

I can see Rooney being on the bench a lot next season.

Just seen on the guardian that a €30 million bid has been tabled for Lallana, thankfully not from us

He is good but surely there's a lot better value out there for 30 million

No way is he worth 30 million. Spend 15 million on turan and you have twice the player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No way is he worth 30 million. Spend 15 million on turan and you have twice the player.

You'd have half the player in the Liverpool set up though - Turan who I love would be a left winger and that's it - Lallana will be able to play four positions. Either wing or a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1, at the head of a diamond 4-4-2 or as one of the flanking two in that diamond.

Woops

mike65 wrote: »
    You'd have half the player in the Liverpool set up though - Turan who I love would be a left winger and that's it - Lallana will be able to play four positions. Either wing or a No 10 in a 4-2-3-1, at the head of a diamond 4-4-2 or as one of the flanking two in that diamond.

Turan can and has played in 3 positions behind the striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He always seems to end up on the attacking left when I see him (which I admit is not that often)

Turan can easily play CM. no doubt about it. He's not exactly a winger. The man is a warrior. The type that is sorely lacking in the united squad.

He always seems to end up on the attacking left when I see him (which I admit is not that often)

Don't dismiss his versatility if you don't watch him much. I watched him a lot and I think he would be a more natural CM than a wide player.
    He ain't no vidal, but by god he would be a giant next to carrick or cleverly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Getting Shaw in soon would make me feel a lot better tbh. I fear Chelsea are going to sign him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

i hate to think chelsea could sign Shaw, but for the sake of it if they did sign him would that be the nail in the coffin for woodward?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hococop wrote: »
    i hate to think chelsea could sign Shaw, but for the sake of it if they did sign him would that be the nail in the coffin for woodward?

Not a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Hococop wrote: »

Ed Woodward the banker who first advised Malcom Glazer on how to devise a strategy that would eventually see him take over and own Manchester Utd, and later be taken on by them in a role that would see a massive increase in commercial activity.

Somehow I think it's going to take more than missing out the signing of an 18yr old left back to see him in any hot water tbh.

Failure this summer would see more than woody in a coffin.
    The manager, as usual would go first.
    But woody and the family really need to go if it's a repeat of last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Who's going to get rid of them?

Who's gonna sack the Glazers?.you can see the balance sheets every year. They ain't giving up this golden goose anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

LOL.

You think LvG should be sacked if we don't make the signings you want?

Christ all ****ing mighty.

LOL.

I think he was talking about the chain of events rather than who should, or shouldn't go.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I think he was talking about the chain of events rather than who should, or shouldn't go.

Thanks. No offence. But it took a Liverpool fan to see the point I was making.
    And fool on anyone who doesn't think that LVG will be sacrificed if it goes sour.
    And united is so big that the weight of the fans will take its toll if we end up in 6th or 8th next season a after a summer of penny pinching.
    Unfortunately, from personal experience. When a parent dies I have seen siblings kill one another for money, don't be so sure that the club won't be for sale soon

LOL.

No. LVG will fall if we fail in the pitch. We wil fail if we don't sign some
    Decent players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Looking at a video of all the goals Ronaldo scored for Man United and realized 5 or 6 goals out of his first 15 were with his left foot.

Just made me think, it is a bit of a disgrace if a professional footballer cannot pass, shoot or cross the ball with their other foot (I don't want to use the word 'weak' as I don't think anyone should have a weak foot). You see 12 year olds these days playing gaelic and soccer and are well capable of using either foot.

Defenders may be able to get away with it, but midfielders and forwards should have no excuses. If you wanna be the best you can be, you need to be able to use both feet. Makes the defenders job twice as hard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No. LVG will fall if we fail in the pitch. We wil fail if we don't sign some
    Decent players
    Erm, yeah, except what you actually said was....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Irish94 wrote: »
    Looking at a video of all the goals Ronaldo scored for Man United and realized 5 or 6 goals out of his first 15 were with his left foot.

Just made me think, it is a bit of a disgrace if a professional footballer cannot pass, shoot or cross the ball with their other foot (I don't want to use the word 'weak' as I don't think anyone should have a weak foot). You see 12 year olds these days playing gaelic and soccer and are well capable of using either foot.

Defenders may be able to get away with it, but midfielders and forwards should have no excuses. If you wanna be the best you can be, you need to be able to use both feet. Makes the defenders job twice as hard.

Agreed.

Stories about Bobby Charlton and George Best using only their "bad" foot for a month and becoming nearly as proficient make you wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm not a pro but I'm so one footed, it's not even funny.

Even the most one footed of players, like Valencia, can make simple passes with their weak foot. I can't even do that. Everything is done with my left, my right is basically just for standing on.

But on the subject of two-footed players, Cazorla is probably the best in the league. I'm fairly sure he takes corners from both sides with either foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,601 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Which means 9 or 10 weren't.

Classic tabloid journalism tactic there, well done.

Scrap the cap!

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Who's gonna sack the Glazers?.you can see the balance sheets every year. They ain't giving up this golden goose anytime soon.

As far as I'm concerned, it's one leech down, six to go. They are a stain on the history of a great club and I will rejoice when they are finally gone.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Giggs was as bad as anyone at this. He'd do anything to get the ball to his left foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ninja900 wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned, it's one leech down, six to go. They are a stain on the history of a great club and I will rejoice when they are finally gone.

I don't like them but that is quite the horrible thing to say. They are still human.

Do I need to spell it out for you? A leech sucks off the resources of another creature for its own benefit. That is the Glazers down to a tee. It sucks for them that their father died but I'm not going to sugar coat my opinion of any of them because of that. This so-called 'owner' never even set foot in Old Trafford, bought the club with debt then loaded the debt onto the club. You can respect people if they have skin in the game.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Did anybody see what Red Issue tweeted about Malcolm Glazer the other day? now thats what I would have called horrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Do I need to spell it out for you? A leech sucks off the resources of another creature for its own benefit. That is the Glazers down to a tee. It sucks for them that their father died but I'm not going to sugar coat my opinion of any of them because of that. This so-called 'owner' never even set foot in Old Trafford, bought the club with debt then loaded the debt onto the club. You can respect people if they have skin in the game.

I know all that, you don't have to spell anything out for me. Don't be so patronising.

Just saying what you said about wishing them dead makes you seem a tad sociopathic.

I didn't wish them dead, I wished the club rid of them, and a great many United fans would agree with that.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Which means 9 or 10 weren't.

Classic tabloid journalism tactic there, well done.

I don't see the point of this comment.

The man was simply pointing out that Ronaldo was capable from an early age to score with his weaker foot and that it is a bit ridiculous how many professionals these days have no ability on their weaker side.

Obviously you would expect a bias in the statistics to say you scored more with your stronger side, that's what its your preferred foot. 5 or 6 still equates to 33/40% of his goals scored with his left.

When you factor in that at least 2 of those first 15 were headers as well that means his number of goals on his left and right foot were pretty similiar.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement