Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He sent me a message in reply. Explained why he was banned, how he still looks at the forum, and revealed who his favourite current poster is.

All this and more in the exclusive mink_man interview, only in the Sun.

Where is this? I know reddit but not a big follower of it and certainly wouldnt know anything about a soccer forum, I could jump ship if its alright :)

Sky sources are reporting Fabregas has a £30million release clause, where was that last year when we were bidding £30million pounds and having it rejected? ****ing journos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

kryogen wrote: »
    Sky sources are reporting Fabregas has a £30million release clause, where was that last year when we were bidding £30million pounds and having it rejected? ****ing journos

Maybe it kicks in when he reaches a certain point of his contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Said it already over the past few weeks - I think we will sign Cesc in the end... and if its not United it will be Arsenal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I am not saying I believe it for a second.

But maybe it was there and was the reason we "lowballed" Barca when we made the bid, and he simply didn't want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Going to try my best to not get excited about any potential transfers until I see a picture of them signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I would love this deal to go through if for nothing else than to shut Gabriele Marcotti up. He constantly uses last Summers pursuit of him as a stick to beat and scoff at Moyes/Woodward/United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Van Gaal has knocked Fabregas move already it seems, that was the rumour mill anyway.

Didn't Wegner said last summer that he would move this summer? Personally think he will take the cash and head to City Yaya heading to Barca or PSG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Being the talented footballer that he is, I'm sure Fabregas actually wants to win silverware where ever he goes. So Man City is likely imo, but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What is it about us and being linked with 30m moves for everybody? there is very rarely another price mentioned. I even saw Clasie and Martins Indi for 30m last week like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

May have been posted already but decent article on bruno martins indi http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/31/world-cup-2014-holland-profile-bruno-martins-indi

BMI is LVGs lovechild. You heard it here first :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Timmyctc wrote: »
    why the last three years ?

Because the figures aren't as good for backing up his argument? Figures are a different story when two more years of City spending are added in. Or when you look at the transfers in fees.

Also doesn't take into account the fact that City spend so much on a number of signings, not just 1 star player. They can afford to get it wrong and pick up a few duds as long as say 1 in 5 is a star like Aguero, Silva etc. United or any other club can't do this on the same level.

Doesn't look like good business to me, more like throwing money at the transfer market in the hope that you get it right once in a while.

Figures taken from the source you quoted:

Man Utd
    In Out Net
    13/14 67,700,000 1,000,000 66,700,000
    12/13 63,000,000 11,900,000 51,100,000
    11/12 52,900,000 14,750,000 38,150,000
    10/11 27,200,000 13,650,000 13,550,000
    09/10 21,000,000 85,500,000 -64,500,000
    Total 231,800,000 126,800,000 105,000,000

Man City
    In Out Net
    13/14 103,200,000 13,400,000 89,800,000
    12/13 54,000,000 40,000,000 14,000,000
    11/12 76,000,000 27,750,000 48,250,000
    10/11 154,750,000 38,750,000 116,000,000
    09/10 125,000,000 26,000,000 99,000,000
    Total 512,950,000 145,900,000 367,050,000

dahat wrote: »
    Van Gaal has knocked Fabregas move already it seems, that was the rumour mill anyway.

Didn't Wegner said last summer that he would move this summer? Personally think he will take the cash and head to City Yaya heading to Barca or PSG

Van Gaal has knocked every transfer target in the world sure, the more I think about it the better it is actually, can really develop the likes of Anderson Cleverley and Carrick still has a good 8 years left in him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Story from an Arsenal perspective is that they have to be informed of any official bid and even if that bid is say for 40 million Barca have to accept 25 million from Arsenal.

Secondly if Arsenal do not bit and United paid 40 million, Arsenal would get 50% of the transfer fee above the 25 million. So if United pay 40 million then Arsenal would get 7.5 million back. 30 million we would get 2.5 million. Open to correction but that is my understanding.

I think the tell tale sign in all of this is Wenger said last summer that Fabregas would not leave Barca for at least one more year. He seemed sure of that and it seems backed up by the fact there was never an official bid from United as Arsenal never had the chance to move on Fabregas.

My thoughts are that United will wait until Arsenal do their business and hope they have no need to sign Fabregas or can't with squad limits and then move for him. But that would be August.

From an Arsenal perspective he would be a huge addition as you all know and I would be sickened if ye got him. However I would rather get a top striker and see him off to United than get him and not get the striker we need.

There was an official bid though.

Ok will then Arsenal could have had him for 25 million. So the obvious thing there is that Wenger knew Fabregas was set on giving Barca one more year and he turned down United. And by extension Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Ok will then Arsenal could have had him for 25 million. So the obvious thing there is that Wenger knew Fabregas was set on giving Barca one more year and he turned down United. And by extension Arsenal.

Either that or what you said isn't true. Seems a bit convoluted does it not?

Either that or what you said isn't true. Seems a bit convoluted does it not?

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

On a side note - David Moyes is to give his first interview post Manchester United in tomorrow's The Sunday Post in Scotland - could make for some very interesting reading.

I don't think it makes sense why Barcelona would agree to it to be honest. I don't know what barca paid for cesc what was it 35 or 40 million or something. Say for arguments sake last year Utd bid 50 million for him and what youve said is true. Cesc chooses Arsenal and Barca lose 25 million. Wouldnt make a huge amount of sense on their end.

You could well be right I honestly have no idea but I don't buy it.

• Advertisement

I don't think it makes sense why Barcelona would agree to it to be honest. I don't know what barca paid for cesc what was it 35 or 40 million or something. Say for arguments sake last year Utd bid 50 million for him and what youve said is true. Cesc chooses Arsenal and Barca lose 25 million. Wouldnt make a huge amount of sense on their end.

You could well be right I honestly have no idea but I don't buy it.

No I think it's that Arsenal get 50% of the profit. So say United bid 50 million Arsenal would get 12.5 million of the sell on fee. Barca were desperate to get him so Arsenal had some bargaining power to implement clauses like that.

No I think it's that Arsenal get 50% of the profit. So say United bid 50 million Arsenal would get 12.5 million of the sell on fee. Barca were desperate to get him so Arsenal had some bargaining power to implement clauses like that.

Ah but wasn't Farbregas also desperate to leave for Barca? I see Barca having an upperhand in those negotiations.

Anyway regardless of that, if it is true its an outrageous bit of business on Arsenals side of things to get a clause like that in.

Ah but wasn't Farbregas also desperate to leave for Barca? I see Barca having an upperhand in those negotiations.

Anyway regardless of that, if it is true its an outrageous bit of business on Arsenals side of things to get a clause like that in.

True he was. I see Arsenal are still owed money for Fabregas and Song. Perhaps they were also owed for Henry, Hleb etc and had a lot of leverage. Who knows. I think the most likely scenario though last season was that Fabregas was staying one more year no matter what in an effort to prove himself there.

Straightforward and unlikely.

To sort of paraphrase you, just kind of the opposite of what you said "backed up by the fact that there was an official bid, and Arsenal had all summer to move for Fabregas if they wanted"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

RVP scored again tonight.

Straightforward and unlikely.

To sort of paraphrase you, just kind of the opposite of what you said "backed up by the fact that there was an official bid, and Arsenal had all summer to move for Fabregas if they wanted"

Don't understand any of that to be honest!!

Barca were not so desperate that Fabregas didn't have to make some serious financial sacrifices to get the move. Have you got a link to the actual clauses in the contract as there is often speculation about things, unfounded but repeated enough times that people believe it to be true.

Where did this release clause ****e come from like? If there was one it was met last year, if it became active only this summer I am certain the journos would have been on to it last summer talking about how Barca would be looking to cash in rather then risk letting his contract go another year and end up losing him for a fee regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

Why would his release clause be so low in the first place? He is home, he is where he has wanted to play all his life, he was a high profile player and release clauses in Spain for even the most moderately rated footballers tend to be stupid. Koke has one for what 60 million (reportedly of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Liar. How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Moyes confirmed it last summer

• Advertisement

Barca were not so desperate that Fabregas didn't have to make some serious financial sacrifices to get the move. Have you got a link to the actual clauses in the contract as there is often speculation about things, unfounded but repeated enough times that people believe it to be true.

Where did this release clause ****e come from like? If there was one it was met last year, if it became active only this summer I am certain the journos would have been on to it last summer talking about how Barca would be looking to cash in rather then risk letting his contract go another year and end up losing him for a fee regardless of whether they wanted to or not.

Why would his release clause be so low in the first place? He is home, he is where he has wanted to play all his life, he was a high profile player and release clauses in Spain for even the most moderately rated footballers tend to be stupid. Koke has one for what 60 million (reportedly of course)

Wenger:

http://goonertalk.com/2013/07/17/wenger-confirms-cesc-release-clause/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Though Arsenal are pretty stacked in midfield and former captain coming back after fcuking off and failing elsewhere may cause a little unrest

I hope

It won't. Players seem to understand it because it's a career move.

And from a fans point of view, Fabregas ran off to Barca a few years ago and he'll be going back to Arsenal with his tail between his legs as he failed there but I'm guessing he'll still get hero-worshipped by the vast majority of Arsenal fans.

Players seem to be untouchable in fans eyes, or at least the good ones. Be it holding the club to ransom, racism, riding your brothers wife or shooting someone with an air rifle. All kinds of deplorable shít gets ignored as long as you turn in good performances more often than not.

Don't understand any of that to be honest!!

Ah not to worry, I dont mean much harm, just taking the piss really. Long day in work, relaxing before the fight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Moyes confirmed it last summer
    haha! Never mind me.

Kyrogen had a dig off of me for posting a rumour with a link so I just find it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Do you need to be so aggressive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

haha! Never mind me.

Kyrogen had a dig off of me for posting a rumour with a link so I just find it funny.

A right knee slapper alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This made me burst out laughing.
    Where is this? I know reddit but not a big follower of it and certainly wouldnt know anything about a soccer forum, I could jump ship if its alright :)

You have reddit, right, the entire place is made up of forums called sub-reddits, and there is one for footy called r/soccer. All the teams have their own subreddits, ours is r/reddevils. It's pretty good. Quite a lot of Americans and it can get very hivemind/circle-jerky at times but there is no quicker way to get the news and views on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

In fairness though id say Barca never thought they would sell him and saw him as Xavis replacement.

€37/£30 million bid seems to be gaining ground across the world of Twitter ... would love to if we signed the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

fitze69 wrote: »
    If you have room for one more let me know

I can add you to the subs lists. We have 4 people on it already.. and we are close to having everyone paid.. It's likely no subs will be needed.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the money to clear into my paypal from my bank acc. My bank card is fooked. Whens the deadline?

You still have a few days. 3rd June is deadline. If you have a bank / credit card you can pay without having to transfer from your bank. Let me know and I'll tell you how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

J. Marston wrote: »
    It won't. Players seem to understand it because it's a career move.

And from a fans point of view, Fabregas ran off to Barca a few years ago and he'll be going back to Arsenal with his tail between his legs as he failed there but I'm guessing he'll still get hero-worshipped by the vast majority of Arsenal fans.

Players seem to be untouchable in fans eyes, or at least the good ones. Be it holding the club to ransom, racism, riding your brothers wife or shooting someone with an air rifle. All kinds of deplorable shít gets ignored as long as you turn in good performances more often than not.

Don't go ruining my dreams with your logic bro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anderrrrr son son son

oh wait.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Have 30 pages or so too read.... Meh.... Whats the latest on Fabregas? I see on sky they expect him too leave has there been tweets about bids or whst?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Have 30 pages or so too read.... Meh.... Whats the latest on Fabregas? I see on sky they expect him too leave has there been tweets about bids or whst?

Some on twitter saying we have 30stg or 37euro million bid and people going over on Monday for negotiations with Barca. Nothing from anyone reliable tho

He won't be coming to OT.

Well he might but it won't be in United top.

This one is for Arsenal I say

Alistair ferguson retweeted the €37 million bid story ... What's he usually like?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Alistair ferguson retweeted the €37 million bid story ... What's he usually like?

Can be hit and miss really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Amazing how quickly after we find out Fabregas is for sale that we find out United have a bid in :rolleyes:

He won't be coming to OT.

Well he might but it won't be in United top.

This one is for Arsenal I say

Is an unlikely one tho. If he went to Arsenal it would be for Wenger only? I don't think many there now were at the club in his time?
    In Uniteds favour is Van Persie, wasn't he one of his best mates at Arsenal? Also Mata and DeGea in Spanish squad. That would be a lot of familiarity for him. VanGaal would be a big draw with his CV also. I don't think united are out of it but it's still in Arsenals court

Antibac wrote: »
    Is an unlikely one tho. If he went to Arsenal it would be for Wenger only? I don't think many there now were at the club in his time?
    In Uniteds favour is Van Persie, wasn't he one of his best mates at Arsenal? Also Mata and DeGea in Spanish squad. That would be a lot of familiarity for him. VanGaal would be a big draw with his CV also. I don't think united are out of it but it's still in Arsenals court

Ya good points there on fairness.

I just think its too good be true and when that is case it usually is.

I would be more surprised to get him now then last season if honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Amazing how quickly after we find out Fabregas is for sale that we find out United have a bid in :rolleyes:

He'll be off Van Gaal's list in the morning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement