Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Ya good points there on fairness.

I just think its too good be true and when that is case it usually is.

I would be more surprised to get him now then last season if honest.

So were Van Persie and Mata. Now they could be the link that brings us Fabregas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

irishfeen wrote: »
    Alistair ferguson retweeted the €37 million bid story ... What's he usually like?

His information can be wrong but he's a United fan so wouldn't intentionally mislead. The Fabregas thing he tweeted was just an article from Spanish paper AS I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This is all so tedious and inevitable, but give me more rumours damn it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Jesus Christ...an absolutely top drawer midfielder (Fabregas) is available for £30m. Unlike others, he has Premiership experience. And he counts as home grown for UEFA purposes. And he's a decent age.

It would be nuts for us not to move for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

i remember talking to a few friends who are arsenal fans about fabregas and the general answer was they don't really need him as they have a strong midfield but they would hate any pl club to get him and would take him back to stop us/ man city etc. getting him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Not buying this Fabregas news at all, he's going nowhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jesus Christ...an absolutely top drawer midfielder (Fabregas) is available for £30m. Unlike others, he has Premiership experience. And he counts as home grown for UEFA purposes. And he's a decent age.

It would be nuts for us not to move for him.

It's been discussed before that LVG isn't after the biggest names. He wants players who wi this philosophy and will play clearly defined roles in his team. If he doesn't think Fab is able to fit a specific role, he won't want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

If both Kroos and Fabregas are available for a combined fee of £50m and we're not in for one or both I'll be a very sad bunny.

Not suggesting they should be nailed on to come but serious bids should be made. Also sceptical that 50 would be realistic but based on the 20 for Kroos and 30 for Fab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

That is why I have only hopes for Shaw signing (could be foolish) but I think this is the only position that is nailed down for a certain signing. I don't see many other signings that will fill that roll.

Young, experienced and can be shaped into the LvG roll of a LB.

SIGN HIM UP PLEASE :o

Can't describe how irritating him not signing, after we put in a really good bid IMO for him and for things to then go very quiet, it's annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Surely Fabregas would want to play in the champions league ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Surely Fabregas would want to play in the champions league ?

I keep seeing this being brought up. Players will miss out of the CL for one season if they get paid enough.

We're Man Utd. A season out of the CL will barely have an impact on our ability to attract players.

Its amazing how valuable playing in the CL has become since we dropped out for a season and another team happened to get in :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

haha! Never mind me.

Kyrogen had a dig off of me for posting a rumour with a link so I just find it funny.

Now now, I don't think that's quite what happened is it Fred?

If my memory is functioning I believe you posted something as a fact, then proceeded "back it up" with a link to a rumour which also included the opposite to your "fact"

Highly amusing at the time alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How many times to you reckon someone will need to be told that City and Chelsea were well able to sign top players without CL, during this window?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

How many times to you reckon someone will need to be told that City and Chelsea were well able to sign top players without CL, during this window?
    The top players from abroad never joing Utd. Mata & RVP did but they were already PL players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MD1990 wrote: »
    The top players from abroad never joing Utd. Mata & RVP did but they were already PL players.

So was Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    This made me burst out laughing.

You have reddit, right, the entire place is made up of forums called sub-reddits, and there is one for footy called r/soccer. All the teams have their own subreddits, ours is r/reddevils. It's pretty good. Quite a lot of Americans and it can get very hivemind/circle-jerky at times but there is no quicker way to get the news and views on it.

Reddit is awesome.
    Thank god for res though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

United rarely went after top players from abroad, that's going to change

Let me introduce to you

Jaap Stam
    Juan Seba Veron
    Shinji Kagawa
    Patrice Evra
    Nemanja Vidic

Of course, I expect you to discredit most of them though they all had nice reps, but the one shining light in there that can in no way be ****ed with or denied is Juan Sebastian Veron. One of the most renowned midfielders in WORLD football when he signed for United.

I would also make the case that after Veron Fergie shied away a little from high profile signings from Europe, he liked to try to get the best of what he had already seen in the league and take a few chances with rough diamonds or lower profile/lower risk recruitments..... Sort of like Bayern Munich by and large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Its amazing how valuable playing in the CL has become since we dropped out for a season and another team happened to get in :rolleyes:

If it helps them bid £25m for Lallana's of this world let them go ahead

£30m for Fab looks a serious steel ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

kryogen wrote: »
    Now now, I don't think that's quite what happened is it Fred?

If my memory is functioning I believe you posted something as a fact, then proceeded "back it up" with a link to a rumour which also included the opposite to your "fact"

Highly amusing at the time alright :)
    Now now Gerry I got a card the last time for falling for your trolling and it won't happen again.

Have a delightful night.

Now now Gerry I got a card the last time for falling for your trolling and it won't happen again.

Have a delightful night.

I smell ironing

I am having a delightful night thanks, the fight was no classic by any stretch but the punch to finish it was brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

kryogen wrote: »
    I smell ironing

I am having a delightful night thanks, the fight was no classic by any stretch but the punch to finish it was brilliant :)

Agreed absolutely vicious punch but Groves had done well up until then.

Back on topic and I read that Barcelona fans have never quite taken to Cesc since he has come back due to him leaving for Arsenal as a kid. Barcelona need the money so I can't see them getting the 30 million they want and they have now hawked him around. Prospective purchasers have the better negotiating position I think so he could be got for at most 25.

Agreed absolutely vicious punch but Groves had done well up until then.

Back on topic and I read that Barcelona fans have never quite taken to Cesc since he has come back due to him leaving for Arsenal as a kid. Barcelona need the money so I can't see them getting the 30 million they want and they have now hawked him around. Prospective purchasers have the better negotiating position I think so he could be got for at most 25.

if we are going for him this is what i do not want to see is an underbid, i know he has had a weak season but we can look foolish again by trying to underbid

also we are not getting him, id say he is Arsenal bound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The latest gossip is that we are one of 3 clubs bidding for Sanchez and that the club are in talks with Konoplyanka.

Barca based paper Sport are claiming we've bid €37 million for Fabergas.

zerks wrote: »
    The latest gossip is that we are one of 3 clubs bidding for Sanchez and that the club are in talks with Konoplyanka.

not-listening-dumb-and-dumber-o.gif

lalalalala not listening, not getting my hopes up lalalala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm not trolling. It has always been very important, top players want to play In the CL. This is not a recent thing at all.

Maybe ManU will get back into it after 1 season, maybe not. They didn't exactly miss out this season by goal difference, they came 7th.

Bit of a risk for Fabregas at this stage of his career.
    He will have plenty offers if he does leave Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Shaw, Sanchez, Kono, Fabregas and another midfielder would be an interesting summer alright :p 100m right there without addressing CB. Not buying it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Liam O wrote: »
    Shaw, Sanchez, Kono, Fabregas and another midfielder would be an interesting summer alright :p 100m right there without addressing CB. Not buying it at all.

You forgot Hummels,that's your CB there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

zerks wrote: »

Ah the oh so reliable Sport who said we signed Thiago last summer

thiago5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

xtal191 wrote: »
    Ah the oh so reliable Sport who said we signed Thiago last summer

thiago5.jpg
    Not this **** again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Not this **** again.

That's from last season. Just to show they aren't the most reliable.

Some "news".

The Mirror are reporting LVG's list is now Konoplyanka, Schweinsteiger, Hummels and Strootman. That list seems to change on the hour. They say Konoplyanka is a handy target cause he won't be tied up in the WC.

Some reports in Italy that Real Madrid have put in a €50m bid for Vidal.

Talk that Sanchez has had bids rejected from us, Liverpool and PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,600 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Acuerdo con el Manchester"

As far as most of the world is concerned, there's still only one club in Manchester :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LVG list IMO is

Messi
    Ronaldo
    Hummels
    Schweinstiger
    Vidal
    Strootman
    Fabregas
    Suarez
    Yanka fella
    Shaw
    Baines
    Few Dutch lads
    Maybe more Dutch lads
    Reus
    Kroos(sure never know)
    YaYa (ya)
    Pogba
    Coleman(bit or Irish won't go astray)
    Cavaini
    Falcao
    Ibra
    Koke
    Herrea
    Costa
    Ramos
    Marcelo
    Iniesta
    Xavi
    Song
    Kheirda
    Carvalho
    Macarthy
    Schinderlin
    Sanchez
    Adriano(be great buy for me kit wise)
    Gundogen john(that fella for Dortmund)

(sorry about some spellings)

Just for starters

Scottish Sunday post is behind a paywall so can't access the moyes interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

LVG Reserve list

Di Maria
    Benzema
    A Cole
    Lampard
    Martinez
    Rodriguez
    Krul
    Lallana
    Wilfred
    Few Dutch lads (surely)
    De Jong
    Rossi
    Muller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Fabregas would no doubt be an improvement to our midfield but his form over the last 2 years has been pretty terrible and he's been a liability in that Barcelona midfield. I'm pretty surprised he made the Spanish WC team because I can't really recount one stand out performance from him in a Barca jersey.

No doubt the guy has great ability and is a proven Premier League player but he's not played at a high level for quite some time.

Source: Reddit

WFyZEp4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

BpB1NY8IIAAy87Z.jpg:large

Seems like a very decent man - again thanking the fans for support but does take bite at the club with the ending of "long-term planning"..

EDIT: Team just beat me to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Sure cesc is terrible he only has 34 assists and 28 league goals in his time at barca

Hococop wrote: »
    I love how the heading has nothing to do with anything Moyes said in the article

In fairness, it's a direct quote from the article...

In fairness, it's a direct quote from the article...

Yeah spotted it at the end my mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

The thing about Cesc with Barca is he has been playing almost behind the striker and sometimes as the striker in a lot the games I've seen him play. Haven't seen much in the last 6 months though, has he started playing a little deeper again? Would be a fantastic signing for us even just to lift the mood around here.

I wonder what Moyes really thinks though! He comes across as a nice bloke, too nice for such a big job.

• Advertisement

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I wonder what Moyes really thinks though! He comes across as a nice bloke, too nice for such a big job.
    In time its odds on for a book me thinks where what really happened inside OT will be revealed by Moyes, could be a bestseller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

irishfeen wrote: »
    In time its odds on for a book me thinks where what really happened inside OT will be revealed by Moyes, could be a bestseller.

I wonder if he had to sign some sort of non disclosure agreement?

Moyes is a gentleman. I was vehemently opposed to his appointment and called for his head early on but unlike many in the game he is a decent man. I wish him well and hope that he succeeds at a level more suited to his talents (e.g. Celtic, Newcastle, etc).

I wonder if he had to sign some sort of non disclosure agreement?

Moyes is a gentleman. I was vehemently opposed to his appointment and called for his head early on but unlike many in the game he is a decent man. I wish him well and hope that he succeeds at a level more suited to his talents (e.g. Celtic, Newcastle, etc).
    I really couldn't see that happening - on what grounds could United have asked for one? - possible over the £ amount but anything more would be hard see happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

zorro2566 wrote: »

Do you really need to be a c*nt to succeed though?
    He should have been more forceful in dealing with issues like Ferdinands tweets for sure, but you don't need to go all Mourinho to win.
    Look at the likes of Pep. Klopp. Ancelotti or Pellagrani, they all seem 'nice'.

You can be nice but firm, respectful but authoritative.

Moyes came across as nice to the point of a pushover though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement