Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sure cesc is terrible he only has 34 assists and 28 league goals in his time at barca

That's rubbish unless he can pass the ball sideways and get applause from the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

De Telegraaf (those who broke the LVG to United) have said VG has given Woodward the names of Mats Hummels, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Kevin Strootman, and Jevgen Konoplyanka to try and sign this summer.

Whatever happens, its going to be a VERY long transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Moyes imo had a lot of what it takes to succeed but lacked confidence. Clearly had none in himself and too much in the players. Probably lost the dressing room before he had even entered it. He was also way too respectful of others. Lacked that ruthlessness every manager needs. Overawed. Words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Man United Fans World Cup Sweeps

Updated paid list.

--- Player --- |--- Paid --- |--- Team ---
    1: NeVeR | Yes |
    2: Gadge | Yes |
    3: keane2097 | Yes |
    4: Donnielighto | |
    5: LightOfTruth | Yes |
    6: Vertigo100 | Yes |
    7: s.welstead | Yes |
    8: duffman13 | Yes |
    9: irishfeen | Yes |
    10: bucketybuck |Yes |
    11: astradave | Yes |
    12: RasTa | Yes |
    13: ManofStraw | Yes |
    14: LostBoy101 | |
    15: glued | Yes |
    16: Thepoet85 | Yes |
    17: Timmyctc | |
    18: KevIRL | Yes |
    19: scudzilla | Yes |
    20: collie0708 |Yes |
    21: Liam O | Yes |
    22: markc1184 | Yes |
    23: Blatter | Yes |
    24: bennyl10 |Yes |
    25: stankratz | |
    26: Thatsfootball | Yes |
    27: Iago | Yes |
    28: bren2001 | Yes |
    29: ninja900 | Yes |
    30: yermandan | Yes |
    31: Saucy McKetchup |Yes |
    32: Will I Amnt | Yes |

I've decided that this is the final prizes list.

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Most yellow cards in group stages €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

Looking good lads.. 4 left to pay. Once we get them all I'll do the Draw :D
    I'm going to PM the lads who are left now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In Portugal's friendly against Greece,Carvalho dominated the midfield,he took 90 touches, completing 82 passes and maintaining a 90% pass success rate – more than any other player on the pitch.The guy can tackle too,I can't remember too many times any of our midfielders actually tackled somebody in the past season or so.

The Telegraph are still going with the Strootman story though.

I'm not on twitter but I hear that the most reliable source,Ogden is on holidays so unless something massive happens we won't hear anything from him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

One of Moyes' biggest issues was his lack of credibility with the players.

We took a group of players laden with medals and put a fella who has never won anything in charge of them.

When the going got tough, it was human nature for the successful players to say "hang on a sec, who the f..k is this guy?"

United exist to win trophies whilst playing attacking football. And to replace the game's most successful manager, we opted for a guy who has never won a trophy and whose teams can at best be described as playing "pragmatic football". It was an utterly insane decision. If you hired a consultant to advise you on the succession and they suggested such a guy, you'd turf them out of your office. Fergie is the greatest and I love the man but he should hang his head in shame over the Moyes debacle because that's what it was...a f..king debacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

NeVeR wrote: »
    Man United Fans World Cup Sweeps

Updated paid list.

I've decided that this is the final prizes list.

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Most yellow cards in group stages €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

Looking good lads.. 4 left to pay. Once we get them all I'll do the Draw :D
    I'm going to PM the lads who are left now.
    Sorry there I get paying now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I read somewhere that in his two years Fabregas is the top assist + scorer in la Liga

And that he's still the highest assister in the premier league from 2007 until now despite him leaving in 2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I read somewhere that in his two years Fabregas is the top assist + scorer in la Liga

And that he's still the highest assister in the premier league from 2007 until now despite him leaving in 2011

I'm open to correction but I'd imagine Messi is higher in the first part of your post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Di Maria was highest last season in spain.
    Iniesta the season before.

^ This is in the league only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Can LVG make a front 4 of Mata, Rooney, Kagawa and RVP work or will there need to be changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That's an amazing statistic.

BpCjmIuIIAEEHKy.png

zerks wrote: »
    3 Kings

****er. Was just about to post that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Saw a Daily Mail article yesterday that was supposedly an interview with Pogba in which he was asked what was the worst moment in his career and his response was Man Utd.

According to Pogba the interview never happened.

Daily Mail really taking the piss these days!
    Fake Dailymail interview!!! - Fausse interview du Dailymail!!!
    (The Pogfamily) #MUFC

BpCsJ43IEAA_8Wb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TheTownie wrote: »
    Daily Mail Lies

Apart from the fact that it was lies, what were people getting worked up about? Players have sh*tty times at all clubs, especially if they aren't playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Daily Mail were up to that last night too. Someone wrote an article on how Liverpool were favourites to sign Fabregas, the supposed journalist said he never wrote it, even though it was credited as his. Then changed it to a different journalist. Just goes to show how bad papers are.

I'm open to correction but I'd imagine Messi is higher in the first part of your post.

Must have been midfielder or something but I remember it had to do with goals and assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

irishfeen wrote: »
    De Telegraaf (those who broke the LVG to United) have said VG has given Woodward the names of Mats Hummels, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Kevin Strootman, and Jevgen Konoplyanka to try and sign this summer.

Whatever happens, its going to be a VERY long transfer window.

Strootman is out until Christmas. Can't see why anyone would move for him this Summer.

• Advertisement

Strootman is out until Christmas. Can't see why anyone would move for him this Summer.

Seems like he's expected back sooner than that.It looks more like August,the papers said we'd go for him at Xmas rather than now.

The way Schweinsteiger plays and the way Van Gaal uses Stootman is very similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Schweinsteiger is not the player he use to be. Injuries have really blighted him in recent seasons

The way Schweinsteiger plays and the way Van Gaal uses Stootman is very similar

Schweinsteiger & Strootman > Carrick & Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

One of Moyes' biggest issues was his lack of credibility with the players.

We took a group of players laden with medals and put a fella who has never won anything in charge of them.

When the going got tough, it was human nature for the successful players to say "hang on a sec, who the f..k is this guy?"

United exist to win trophies whilst playing attacking football. And to replace the game's most successful manager, we opted for a guy who has never won a trophy and whose teams can at best be described as playing "pragmatic football". It was an utterly insane decision. If you hired a consultant to advise you on the succession and they suggested such a guy, you'd turf them out of your office. Fergie is the greatest and I love the man but he should hang his head in shame over the Moyes debacle because that's what it was...a f..king debacle.

If he kept most of Fergie's staff it would of at least kept him in the job for another year. The decision to replace the whole backroom staff evidently led to his failure as the players are used to being coached by world class coaches not some average joe who has no medals to his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Moyes saying in the interview that he just needed more time !

He was way out of his depth, pure excuses.
    No plan, no style, no clue

• Advertisement

Moyes saying in the interview that he just needed more time !

He was way out of his depth, pure excuses.
    No plan, no style, no clue

Yeah, 'cause the signs were so good...

Moyes was like a little pony with a broken leg. You like him, you feel sorry for him but ultimately you know that he has to be shot.

Schweinsteiger & Strootman > Carrick & Cleverley.

I feel like thats a statement so obvious. You shouldn't need to say it :P
    Yeah, 'cause the signs were so good...

Moyes was like a little pony with a broken leg. You like him, you feel sorry for him but ultimately you know that he has to be shot.

Jesus. Harsh much. He was bad but couldn't we just fire him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Apparently Fernando is more or less signed by City. We're never going to sign a CM.

Indo reporting that Arsenal do not want Cesc Fabregas, that he's determined to come back to England and that City will try and sign him as a replacement for Yaya Toure.

Our biggest defence against not having CL football is Van Gaal himself and his ability to articulate his vision for the club to a prospective player. However, he's obviously at the World Cup so I fear that we're starting the summer at a disadvantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

At least Fabregas knows if he joins Utd he's more or less guarentee day first team starter and in his favourite position.

He really wouldn't surprise me at all if he moves to Utd, especially after the rumblings last summer.

• Advertisement

Indo reporting that Arsenal do not want Cesc Fabregas, that he's determined to come back to England and that City will try and sign him as a replacement for Yaya Toure.

Our biggest defence against not having CL football is Van Gaal himself and his ability to articulate his vision for the club to a prospective player. However, he's obviously at the World Cup so I fear that we're starting the summer at a disadvantage.

Marca saying Chelsea are sniffing around too.How many midfielders do they need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

My prediction for the summer:

Shaw will drag on all summer before finally being concluded on the final day.
    Fabregas to City :(
    We will sign Konoplyanka.
    We will be linked to every midfielder in Europe before inevitably settling on Strootman.
    One of the many Bundesliga players we've been linked with to actually materialise. I think LVG's pulling power may attract Schweinsteiger or Robben.
    Rooney and RVP to stay put but Rooney to kick up another sh*t fit next season as RVP is made club captain.
    Mata I'm not sure about. All rational thought tells me he will stay.

Outgoing's:
    I can see most of the squad staying tbh. I'd love nothing more for Ashley Young to be booted out the door to West Ham or some such. The likes of Cleverley,Valencia and Nani will be kept on as squad players. Not sure about Carrick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, The Mirror have finally lost it offically; an article saying we should show our muscle by lodging a 75m bid for Suarez.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-should-make-75m-3630387

I was also reading that this year, we have 14 players going to the World Cup, more than we've ever actually had attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Well, The Mirror have finally lost it offically; an article saying we should show our muscle by lodging a 75m bid for Suarez.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-should-make-75m-3630387

I was also reading that this year, we have 14 players going to the World Cup, more than we've ever actually had attending.

That article is possibly the biggest waste of internet space ever, the definition of a football manager transfer..

Do people think we will sign a striker this summer? It won't happen unless Rooney is shafted out. Even if chicharito or Welbeck leaves, I can't see them being replaced.

The ultimate problem is we have a surplus of attacking players. Some of these need regular gametime to develop (Welbeck) and other's are nearing the twilight years of their career and keeping the younger players out. Midfield is just a disaster. West Ham fans would complain if they had our midfield options :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

thelad95 wrote: »
    Do people think we will sign a striker this summer? It won't happen unless Rooney is shafted out. Even if chicharito or Welbeck leaves, I can't see them being replaced.

The ultimate problem is we have a surplus of attacking players. Some of these need regular gametime to develop (Welbeck) and other's are nearing the twilight years of their career and keeping the younger players out. Midfield is just a disaster. West Ham fans would complain if they had our midfield options :mad:

We don't need a striker. RVP and Rooney (if he's used properly) are more than good enough. Welbeck and Chico are great options also. IMO, our attackers will flourish with a proper midfield behind them. Having great strikers is all well and good but they're useless if there's nobody there to give the ball to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We could sell Rooney and one of Hernandez/Welbeck, and still have more than enough talent up front (RVP, one of the duo, Wilson), if the plan is to play with one striker up front (as most teams at top level do). It would also free up Rooney's wages to invest into other areas of the team.

I feel the media is turning on Rooney a bit at the moment. Wouldn't be shocked to see him ousted from the England set up this summer and will be interesting if LVG has the patience to play up to him, especially if the team is built round RVP as expected...

I personally would like to see Carrick leave this summer.

I think we need a freshness and a different type of tempo now. Basically a quicker more stylish one and I think Carrick over past 12 months along with age is regressing as a footballer.

A real fine player for us on his day and I thought he would be missed during season but I think we need to really shake it up and get rid of something that might be past the best before date.

We still have Fletcher and hopefully Cleverley does something.

I think we need a freshness and a different type of tempo now. Basically a quicker more stylish one and I think Carrick over past 12 months along with age is regressing as a footballer.

+1

I never really rated him & got slated for it more than once.As they say, "the sun shines on a dogs arse once",he had a good season and suddenly all his flaws are forgotten.
    Since he became this much lauded DM,he sucked the pace & verve out of our style of play.

A real fine player for us on his day and I thought he would be missed during season but I think we need to really shake it up and get rid of something that might be past the best before date.

We still have Fletcher and hopefully Cleverley does something.
    +1

I never really rated him & got slated for it more than once.As they say, "the sun shines on a dogs arse once",he had a good season and suddenly all his flaws are forgotten.
    Since he became this much lauded DM,he sucked the pace & verve out of our style of play.

Have no idea how you can want Carrick to leave and keep Fletcher and Cleverly who have both shown less than the former in the past 2 seasons.

Carrick had one excellent season and a few quite good seasons. He'd be a very good squad player. In a season where everyone was ****, Carrick was also ****. Who's to say he wont have another good season next year?

• Advertisement

+1

I would bet that if Fergie was in his prime years at United he have let Carrick go either last season or this one like he did with so many United players.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Have no idea how you can want Carrick to leave and keep Fletcher and Cleverly who have both shown less than the former in the past 2 seasons.

Carrick had one excellent season and a few quite good seasons. He'd be a very good squad player. In a season where everyone was ****, Carrick was also ****. Who's to say he wont have another good season next year?

Bar 2 players every player was below par but Carrick below par was as bad as many others

Few reasons why I would get rid

1. Age
    2. I think he is past his best
    3. We need freshness as he been at club over 8 years and has been our main CM
    4. We have been too predictable
    5. Our tempo had become Funeral pace
    6. We need more CM who can be more all round tactical. What you get with Carrick is more limited then other top class CM imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Did I miss anything regarding transfer gossip today lads? Was at the Limerick and Tipp game and the mobile data calved. Hon Limerick!

Did I miss anything regarding transfer gossip today lads? Was at the Limerick and Tipp game and the mobile data calved. Hon Limerick!

We're signing Suarez for 75million according to The Mirror.....

Look at likes of Sharp, Hughes, Keane, Stam as guys at time seen as crazy to get rid. I could name a dozen more.

I honestly think if Carrick were to leave with right players coming in will see a better style, better tempo and better on the eye and result maybe.

Bar 2 players every player was below par but Carrick below par was as bad as many others

Few reasons why I would get rid

1. Age
    2. I think he is past his best
    3. We need freshness as he been at club over 8 years and has been our main CM
    4. We have been too predictable
    5. Our tempo had become Funeral pace
    6. We need more CM who can be more all round tactical. What you get with Carrick is more limited then other top class CM imo

1. He is only 32 a team needs squad players.
    2. You think he is past his best 1 season after he won our players PotY he couldn't have regressed that much in 3 months or so.
    3. Why does he need to leave for the team to freshen up.
    4. We weren't really predictable last year, just ****.
    5. Our tempo has really gone downhill in recent years. I'd say since 09 its been crap. Can't really blame that solely on Carrick.
    6. We can still buy other top class players while Carrick is at the club. He could easily be the foil for a much better player to do the real leg work.

Look at likes of Sharp, Hughes, Keane, Stam as guys at time seen as crazy to get rid. I could name a dozen more.

I honestly think if Carrick were to leave with right players coming in will see a better style, better tempo and better on the eye and result maybe.

Just because we replaced good players in the past doesn't mean it was good to get rid of them initially. Stam especially. Keane was nearing his end when he left anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I'd definitely get rid of Fletch before Carrick, its hard to see what he brings to the table anymore.

If you're talking about keeping Carrick or Cleverly as purely squad players then I guess there's an argument to be made for Cleverly in that given his age he'll be around for much longer but other than that there isn't really one.

1. He is only 32 a team needs squad players.
    2. You think he is past his best 1 season after he won our players PotY he couldn't have regressed that much in 3 months or so.
    3. Why does he need to leave for the team to freshen up.
    4. We weren't really predictable last year, just ****.
    5. Our tempo has really gone downhill in recent years. I'd say since 09 its been crap. Can't really blame that solely on Carrick.
    6. We can still buy other top class players while Carrick is at the club. He could easily be the foil for a much better player to do the real leg work.

Fans find it hard to let go I'm no exception..

But look at players Fergie got rid of. In 1995 we sold 4 of our best players and won double season after.

I think now is a good time to freshen things up. This squad player thing really does not sit well with me.

He is either good enough or he is not and the fact you mentioned still be a good squad player should set a bell ringing.

To me we need a change in CM. A proper change and having squad players when we could get very good players really should tell its own story.

• Advertisement

Keane was nearing his end when he left anyways.

So is Carrick,I don't understand you sentimentality towards him.5 yard passes sideways or back,going missing against decent passing sides,wouldn't tackle Kate Upton-never mind somebody running past him,lack of pace and the style of play now is speed & verve which we used to have and LVG will bring back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement