Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

I don't think anyone's showing any sentimentality to carrick, I just think if you're ousting him based on underperforming then there's the argument that other CM's at the club should be out the door ahead of them because they aren't any better than squad players either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Ashley Young is paid £100k a week.

Cesc Fabregas is paid £100k a week.

Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's showing any sentimentality to carrick, I just think if you're ousting him based on underperforming then there's the argument that other CM's at the club should be out the door ahead of them because they aren't any better than squad players either.

That's a fair point.

But Cleverley hopefully can get this magic he has, Fellaini really has not really had a fair crack yet and Fletcher to me is better.

They ain't great options going on last season but I think somebody will have to make way if we are going get 2 new faces at CM.

I would choose Carrick for the reasons I stated. The others can offer more in different areas and situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Cleverleys performances have been on a par with Carrick this past season & he's been crucified on virtually every medium known to man.So if we want to keep a squad player,do we keep a guy heading for 33 or a lad who's 25?

If LVG brings in some of the young Dutch players for reasonable fee's to compliment the 'big' names we are meant to be signing then all the current crop could be out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The fact is Cleverly and Fletcher have consistently offered much less than Carrick the past 2 /3 seasons. I have no sentimentality towards Carrick. Zerks clearly has an agenda against him. If you don't like 5 yard passes sideways you should be slating Cleverly too. Was it not him that proclaimed recently that the fans in England dont appreciate what he does and if he was in Spain fans would be applauding sideways passes etc.

Also its a myth that Carrick isn't a good passer. In the past three seasons he has more than shown he is capable of playing great balls forward.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ashley Young is paid £100k a week.

Cesc Fabregas is paid £100k a week.

Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute.

I'd be very very surprised if Fabragas was only on £100k per week.

zerks wrote: »
    Cleverleys performances have been on a par with Carrick this past season & he's been crucified on virtually every medium known to man.So if we want to keep a squad player,do we keep a guy heading for 33 or a lad who's 25

I made that point a few posts ago. But as things stand, with no other CM's signed, if we're earmarking players for the door Fletch is first for me and then Cleverly.
    That's a fair point.

But Cleverley hopefully can get this magic he has, Fellaini really has not really had a fair crack yet and Fletcher to me is better.

They ain't great options going on last season but I think somebody will have to make way if we are going get 2 new faces at CM.

I would choose Carrick for the reasons I stated. The others can offer more in different areas and situations.

I don't think Fletcher brings much of anything anymore, particularly when you consider just what it was he brought when he was at his peak. And if we're talking about not allowing sentimentality to cloud our judgement on playing staff then, harsh and all as it is, he's a prime example.

To me, if Cleverly was going to be a player who has the ability to showcase this quick passing and creative linkup play in the final third that he threatened to do so then we should be seeing it a lot more by now. Not necessarily every week but it was alright to say he had the possibility to develop into a good player when he'd do it in preseason when he was 21/22 because there was a chance he could gain the consistency needed but at 24/25 now I think that chance has dramatically reduced and there's as good a chance we'll be making the same complaints about him 4 years from now than we are praising his improvement.

Fellaini I'd keep obviously, no point in giving up on him just yet considering the money outplayed.

As I said above, while we are still yet to sign another CM, there are others I'd want rid of before Carrick.

Agueroooo wrote: »

http://m.independent.ie/sport/cesc-fabregas-can-leave-for-30m-barcelona-tell-premier-league-suitors-30319268.html

"His £100,000 a week wages are also significantly lower than Toure's..."

Timmyctc wrote: »
    The fact is Cleverly and Fletcher have consistently offered much less than Carrick the past 2 /3 seasons. I have no sentimentality towards Carrick. Zerks clearly has an agenda against him. If you don't like 5 yard passes sideways you should be slating Cleverly too. Was it not him that proclaimed recently that the fans in England dont appreciate what he does and if he was in Spain fans would be applauding sideways passes etc.

Also its a myth that Carrick isn't a good passer. In the past three seasons he has more than shown he is capable of playing great balls forward.

No agenda against Carrick,I just don't see how he's lauded as this amazing player.In years to come,people will still be talking about Keane,Robson,Ronaldo,not Michael Carrick.Once he's gone,he'll be forgotten and just another name on the list of those who played for the club.
    I've given Cleverley as much stick as anyone here,I've praised Carrick for good performances but I hate the many times he gets a ball in space and automatically looks for the "safe" option,it's as if he's afraid of the responsibility of carrying the game to opposing teams.Look at how he comes into his own when we are 3 or 4 up yet when the going gets tough he's notable by his absence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I personally would like to see Carrick leave this summer.

I think we need a freshness and a different type of tempo now. Basically a quicker more stylish one and I think Carrick over past 12 months along with age is regressing as a footballer.

A real fine player for us on his day and I thought he would be missed during season but I think we need to really shake it up and get rid of something that might be past the best before date.

We still have Fletcher and hopefully Cleverley does something.
    No agenda against Carrick,I just don't see how he's lauded as this amazing player.In years to come,people will still be talking about Keane,Robson,Ronaldo,not Michael Carrick.Once he's gone,he'll be forgotten and just another name on the list of those who played for the club.
    I've given Cleverley as much stick as anyone here,I've praised Carrick for good performances but I hate the many times he gets a ball in space and automatically looks for the "safe" option,it's as if he's afraid of the responsibility of carrying the game to opposing teams.Look at how he comes into his own when we are 3 or 4 up yet when the going gets tough he's notable by his absence.

I'd love us to be in a position to let Carrick go and if we were I'd be for it. I'm a fan of his, sure he's played poorly last season but so did everyone. Them main thing that's gone against him is that he's had a different CM partner for I don't know how long. No time to form any sort of partnership with anyone.

That's a huge thing for a CM player. Having the trust in your partner. And when you look at who's he's had alongside him the last 2/3 seasons especially i'm amazed he's done so well. One of his best assests is he knows his limitations and generally that works for him, at times I agree he's overly cautious.

I's like Fletch Ando to go ahead of him. I'd oddly keep cleverly for one more season and see what a new manager can do with him. Fletch has to go though, I was a big fan of his but he's just too much of a risk for a season where we can't afford any **** ups.

So to sum up, I'd like a new midfield with reduced role for Carrick and Clev, and then maybe sell next jan/summer depending on how things are going.

To sell him immediately with no cover would be foohardy imo.

PS I feel the same about Felliani would have no problem with him being sold actually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man, I wish I wouldnt get so excited when I see this and the Transfer thread bumped at the same time...

Man, I wish I wouldnt get so excited when I see this and the Transfer thread bumped at the same time...

Lol,I see on another forum that the Manchester Evening News that "Woodward is under serious pressure",he promised business to be done early and the WC is creeping ever closer.

For anyone staying up late tonight, Looking For Eric is on Film4 at 1.35am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

+1

I never really rated him & got slated for it more than once.As they say, "the sun shines on a dogs arse once",he had a good season and suddenly all his flaws are forgotten.
    Since he became this much lauded DM,he sucked the pace & verve out of our style of play.

Would agree 100% with this. Everyone knows our middle of the park is sh*t but yet a lot of utd fans will defend Carrick all day long. Too fuc*in slow and one dimensional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not a chance Koke will be sold, to anyone.

I disagree. While it's very unlikely if Madrid were offered 60M it would be very difficult to turn down. Even 50M is a massive amount for a player that you could have bought last season for 20-25M.

This summer will see some crazy transfers imo.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I disagree. While it's very unlikely if Madrid were offered 60M it would be very difficult to turn down. Even 50M is a massive amount for a player that you could have bought last season for 20-25M.

This summer will see some crazy transfers imo.

Don't think so. Ateli have a lot of money coming there way already with CL and La Liga money, so much so that they don't need to sell for the first time in years. Koke is a lifelong Atleti supporter, been there since he was a child. He is very young, tied to a long term contract and said he doesn't want to leave as recently as a week ago. They can afford to keep him for at least 2 more seasons and still cash in on him and arguably get more if he continues to develop as a player. Atleti are no fools and are in absolutely no rush to sell. I also think he should want CL football at this stage of his development, I just can't see him leaving this year. Similar situation when Chelsea triggered Aguero's release clause, people thought Atleti were obliged to sell. They kept him another year and got more for him from CIty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Officer999

For anyone staying up late tonight, Looking For Eric is on Film4 at 1.35am.

Is it any good?

• Advertisement

Officer999 wrote: »
    Is it any good?

BTW,while getting this clip,I spotted that the whole movie is on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

After a sneeeaky two naggins and watching a few United videos ... Best moment as a United fan???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looking for Eric is shoite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

irishfeen wrote: »
    After a sneeeaky two naggins and watching a few United videos ... Best moment as a United fan???

For actually being there, would have to be the 1-0 win over Everton in the Cup Final in 85, was stood right at the back behind the goal which Whiteside scored in, hanging onto a roof support like a monkey. Place went nuts

For not being there, the final few minutes at The Nou Camp in 99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

scudzilla wrote: »
    For actually being there, would have to be the 1-0 win over Everton in the Cup Final in 85, was stood right at the back behind the goal which Whiteside scored in, hanging onto a roof support like a monkey. Place went nuts

For not being there, the final few minutes at The Nou Camp in 99
    I was only fecking 8 for d CL final in 99 :( for me it was 08 CL final - me and the brother (Chelsea fan) sitting down watching it together and me going fcuking mad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Agueroooo wrote: »

Dunno has he had a new contract since but he took a pay cut to join barca so it might not seem too off the mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lukker- wrote: »
    Not a chance Koke will be sold, to anyone.

Atletico sell, they are a selling club, they will sell anybody as long as the bid is enough. One I am watching there is Oli Torres, a little gem in the making, spent last season on loan at Villarreal.

Make no mistake though, every member of the A Madrid squad is up for sale for the right price, in fairness that is the same for pretty much every club in world football besides the likes of City, Madrid etc......

kryogen wrote: »
    Atletico sell, they are a selling club, they will sell anybody as long as the bid is enough. One I am watching there is Oli Torres, a little gem in the making, spent last season on loan at Villarreal.

Make no mistake though, every member of the A Madrid squad is up for sale for the right price, in fairness that is the same for pretty much every club in world football besides the likes of City, Madrid etc......

I'm sure he will be sold, eventually. Not this season though, even if the release clause is met. They hold all the cards, he's very young so he's not going to lose value(increase if anything) and he's tied to a long term contract. He's also not going to push for a move.

Daniel Taylor is really trying to piss us off,even using the phrase "Deja vu of last Summer".

The old list is gone and we have a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This is cool

BpEwgKFIQAI9TeZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

the face on VG there is priceless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Welbeck looks like he got a whiff of a bad smell off Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RVP looks smug as ****, probably cos he beat Rooney to the captaincy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's the happiest I have seen Valencia in long time.

Concentrate Evra!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Have no idea how you can want Carrick to leave and keep Fletcher and Cleverly who have both shown less than the former in the past 2 seasons.

Carrick had one excellent season and a few quite good seasons. He'd be a very good squad player. In a season where everyone was ****, Carrick was also ****. Who's to say he wont have another good season next year?

i don't get people wanting to Carrick to leave, but not that surprising as there were several seasons stretching back to mid/late 2000s where people were trying to rush giggs and scholes out the door.
    giggs in particular must have won about 5 leagues and a european cup after people were already saying his best days were behind him. Carrick isn't on the same level but he's still the best midfielder in the squad and one of the last I'd like to see leaving. We'd need three excellent signings in midfield before he's any way dispensable.

• Advertisement

RGDATA! wrote: »
    i don't get people wanting to Carrick to leave, We'd need three excellent signings in midfield before he's any way dispensable.

EwPkP.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looks like Fabregas is going to City, interesting to see what happens Yaya now, cert to leave IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

dahat wrote: »
    Looks like Fabregas is going to City, interesting to see what happens Yaya now, cert to leave IMO.

Where are you seeing this?

KH25 wrote: »

Today's Indo...City want Cesc to replace Yaya.

Meanwhile we're looking at a cruciate victim with zero Premiership experience.

Today's Indo...City want Cesc to replace Yaya.

Meanwhile we're looking at a cruciate victim with zero Premiership experience.

Ok, thats where you see it, where is the other lad seeing it though?

It is the very definition of 2+2 you know, Yaya wants out of City, to Barca ideally. Fab is apparently up for sale, could be used as a bargaining tool with City.

That story writes itself.

He is nothing like Yaya anyway as a player so he wouldn't be a very good replacement for him...........

Not saying it won't happen by the way, just that it is a very easy story to put out there regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ian Ladyman ‏@Ian_Ladyman_DM 3m
    #mcfc aren't in the bidding for fabregas

Ah **** it lads I'm going to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

KH25 wrote: »

Internet paper ( twitter), a few going with it and he was on London this week.
    Ian Ladyman has tweeted City aren't in for him as well so it looks to be a proper silly saga.
    Do think City is the best fit for him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Internet paper ( twitter), a few going with it and he was on London this week.
    Ian Ladyman has tweeted City aren't in for him as well so it looks to be a proper silly saga.
    Do think City is the best fit for him myself.

Actually think United would be better for him. Can't see it happening though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Daniel Taylor also saying City are not in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My window prediction, putting it out there:

Shaw, Konoplyanka, Strootman, Hummels. In that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

This sort of post is what makes the transfer window close to unbearable.

No source for an implausible story, with its cause lying in minor stories blown vastly out of proportion by crappy media sources, coupled with misplaced certainty just because some semblance of an internal cohesion exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

irishfeen wrote: »
    I was only fecking 8 for d CL final in 99 :( for me it was 08 CL final - me and the brother (Chelsea fan) sitting down watching it together and me going fcuking mad :)

Just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid, winning on penalties isn't really winning. Might as well go old school and toss a coin.

99 was priceless though, still have no idea how or when I got home from the pub :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

ninja900 wrote: »
    Just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid, winning on penalties isn't really winning. Might as well go old school and toss a coin.

That's simply untrue.

Also. I'm Drunk :)

20 TIMES 20 TIMES MAN UNITED 20 TIMES 20 TIMES I SAY 20 TIMES 20 TIMES MAN UNITED; PLAYING FOOTBALL THE BUSBY WAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

We didn't win any of those 20 on penalties, did we :p

Just hate shootouts. Too random. Poor way to settle a fixture never mind a very important one.

Scrap the cap!

People say penalties is a lottery, but it really isnt you know. Its another test, mental and physical

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement