Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ninja900 wrote: »
    Just didn't do it for me at all I'm afraid, winning on penalties isn't really winning. Might as well go old school and toss a coin.

99 was priceless though, still have no idea how or when I got home from the pub :pac:
    Are u fcuking mad in d head lad? B ... One d best nights of my life. / United champions of Europe enough said my dear Ladeen ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    My window prediction, putting it out there:

Shaw, Konoplyanka, Strootman, Hummels. In that order.

Can't see us signing Strootman coming off an ACL. We probably would of signed Strootman if he didn't do his ACL as van Gaal seems to really like him but because he's had such a serious injury I can't imagine that we'll sign him at this stage.

I would like to see Schneiderlin and Clasie brought in. Has any reputable source carried the Konoplyanka deal? Don't know very much about him at all. Bruno Martins Indi is another guy who we should probably go for.

There is a few rumours flying around the usual circles but one I keep hearing is that van Gaal told the Glazers and Woodward that Carrick is going to have a massive role in Manchester United's midfield next season and the team was basically going to be build around Carrick. I also heard that a few journalists got a wrap around the knuckles over the Kroos rumours. One appears to definitely be in some trouble at the minute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not much new today.

De Telegraph are running with the Strootman, Hummels, Kono, Schweinsteger list that was doing the rounds yesterday.

The Daily Mail have Inter wanting to take Hernandez on loan.

Sport.es are reporting that Real Madrid want Luis Suárez and think they can sign him for €80m. However, they have a rival; Manchester United. Yeah, apparently that's now gaining some attention. Lads, I think the Twitter rumour ye started has worked :pac:

And us, City and Liverpool have all apparently said no to Fabregas. I'd imagine Stoke and Newcastle will turn him down latter too :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

kryogen wrote: »
    People say penalties is a lottery, but it really isnt you know. Its another test, mental and physical
    For the taker maybe, for the keeper it's just a guess.

You can take a **** peno and still score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Another day and no news :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Man United Fans World Cup Sweeps

Updated paid list.

--- Player --- |--- Paid --- |--- Team ---
    1: NeVeR | Yes |
    2: Gadge | Yes |
    3: keane2097 | Yes |
    4: Donnielighto | |
    5: LightOfTruth | Yes |
    6: Vertigo100 | Yes |
    7: s.welstead | Yes |
    8: duffman13 | Yes |
    9: irishfeen | Yes |
    10: bucketybuck |Yes |
    11: astradave | Yes |
    12: RasTa | Yes |
    13: ManofStraw | Yes |
    14: LostBoy101 | Yes |
    15: glued | Yes |
    16: Thepoet85 | Yes |
    17: Timmyctc | Yes |
    18: KevIRL | Yes |
    19: scudzilla | Yes |
    20: collie0708 |Yes |
    21: Liam O | Yes |
    22: markc1184 | Yes |
    23: Blatter | Yes |
    24: bennyl10 |Yes |
    25: stankratz | |
    26: Thatsfootball | Yes |
    27: Iago | Yes |
    28: bren2001 | Yes |
    29: ninja900 | Yes |
    30: yermandan | Yes |
    31: Saucy McKetchup |Yes |
    32: Will I Amnt | Yes |

I've decided that this is the final prizes list.

World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Most yellow cards in group stages €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

2 left to pay. Once we get them all I'll do the Draw :D

Just stankratz and Donnielighto left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

For the taker maybe, for the keeper it's just a guess.

You can take a **** peno and still score.

Far more to it than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Heard Lallana is off to those who must not be named for a undisclosed fee worth 4.5million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Heard Lallana is off to those who must not be named for a undisclosed fee worth 4.5million

I'm guessing you mean Lambert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Hococop wrote: »
    I'm guessing you mean Lambert

yeah sorry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Great deal for Pool 4 million for a guaranteed goalscorer. Southampton will have to pay a lot more to replace those goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Done deal isn't it? Did I not see him in the jersey with the flag above his head?

Anyways, regarding penalties, there is so much more to them then hit and hope, and for keepers there is a lot more then just guess work too. I don't have time to go into great detail now unfortunately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Moreno for £17m or Shaw for £30?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

beno619 wrote: »
    Great deal for Pool 4 million for a guaranteed goalscorer. Southampton will have to pay a lot more to replace those goals.

His involvement with them was on the wane in the last season, he spent too much time on the bench to be considered irreplaceable.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

His involvement with them was on the wane in the last season, he spent too much time on the bench to be considered irreplaceable.

He still managed to out score Adebayor, Benteke, Eto'o, Negredo, Welbeck, Torres, RVP (although injured for large parts)

For £4million plus the passion he will bring its a no brainer...really think he is going to surprise a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I remember seeing something like this after the '02 World Cup:

If you think penalties are a lottery, remember how you felt when you saw Kevin Kilbane walk up to take Ireland's next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Shaw has a higher ceiling. I'm not sure if Moreno will be a fit for the Premier League but he's a good player but both have had mixed seasons. Shaw started the season poor but really kicked on as the year progressed. Moreno hasn't really done that and isn't kicking on. You sense that he has got more to give.

I wouldn't have Moreno in our back four because that would be a luxury that we can't afford. Out of all the teams in the Premier League Liverpool would probably be the best fit for him but they'll need a solid, quick CB to cover the space that Moreno will leave behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Agueroooo wrote: »
    He still managed to out score Adebayor, Benteke, Eto'o, Negredo, Welbeck, Torres, RVP (although injured for large parts)

For £4million plus the passion he will bring its a no brainer...really think he is going to surprise a few.

Played like twice as many minutes as most of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Well at least we're after flying out the blocks this transfer window as usual...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

titan18 wrote: »
    Played like twice as many minutes as most of them though.

Twice as many is a bit if an exaggeration,no?

He does really well without getting much
    appreciation.

In the past two seasons only Suarez,Rooney, RVP and Gerrard have registered more goals&assists.

the more I look into it the more I think it could be the best £4mil we have spent in a long time, and with the extra games we have I am sure it's been clearly explained what role he will play next season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Not really, you can do your research obviously, that just makes the guess an educated one, but a guess all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Another day of nothing from united. Horrible feeling of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

irishfeen wrote: »
    Well at least we're after flying out the blocks this transfer window as usual...

Van Gaal was confirmed as our next manager 2 weeks ago and according to many sources, transfer targets were discussed before he was confirmed. It is realistic to assume he would have given some sort of wish list to Woodward when he signed.

10 days to go until the World Cup kicks off in Brazil. It really isn't looking like we will have any deals concluded by then which is very disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I wouldn't read too much into it tbh, from what I recall it's always the same before a world cup.

On the 2nd of June? If it's mid way through July you might have a point.

Ricky Lambert for £4m and Luiz for £50m are standard freak and small transfers.

Twice as many is a bit if an exaggeration,no?

He does really well without getting much
    appreciation.

In the past two seasons only Suarez,Rooney, RVP and Gerrard have registered more goals&assists.

the more I look into it the more I think it could be the best £4mil we have spent in a long time, and with the extra games we have I am sure it's been clearly explained what role he will play next season.

Lambert played 2814 minutes

RVP - 1580
    Adebayor - 1805
    Benteke - 2126
    Eto'o - 1298
    Negredo - 1722
    Welbeck - 1462
    Torres - 1573

Other than Benteke, no one is really close in minutes played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Quandary wrote: »
    Van Gaal was confirmed as our next manager 2 weeks ago and according to many sources, transfer targets were discussed before he was confirmed. It is realistic to assume he would have given some sort of wish list to Woodward when he signed.

10 days to go until the World Cup kicks off in Brazil. It really isn't looking like we will have any deals concluded by then which is very disappointing.

if it's not done before the world cup, which is fairly apparent now, then i honestly can't see things picking up fast in July during holiday season.

so we're realistically looking at restructuring the squad within the month of august. How many signings would you expect this club, with the track record of drawn out, laborious signings, to make in one month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

A Jaysus lads it's a great bit of business. 16 goals and 12 assists in the league we wouldn't be dismissing him if he went anywhere other than Pool. Gives his all and scores in big games. If he had pace he'd be the complete forward.

RasTa wrote: »
    On the 2nd of June? If it's mid way through July you might have a point.

Ricky Lambert for £4m and Luiz for £50m are standard freak and small transfers.

You think we are going to sign players during the World Cup?

Players will now head off to the World Cup, so nothing will get done. Then they will head in their holidays and nothing will get done. Then we will spend the last month scrabbling around like morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Players will now head off to the World Cup, so nothing will get done. Then they will head in their holidays and nothing will get done. Then we will spend the last month scrabbling around like morons.

Next thing......

fellaini.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

titan18 wrote: »
    Lambert played 2814 minutes

RVP - 1580
    Adebayor - 1805
    Benteke - 2126
    Eto'o - 1298
    Negredo - 1722
    Welbeck - 1462
    Torres - 1573

Other than Benteke, no one is really close in minutes played.

He said twice as many minutes was a bit of an exaggeration. You've just proven that it was.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He said twice as many minutes was a bit of an exaggeration. You've just proven that it was.

Tbf, I said like twice as many minutes, so not exactly, but roughly.

Eto'o,RVP,Welbeck and Torres cover it imo.

Main thing is the him scoring 13 goals and more than those guys was a measure of quality. Other than Torres, they'd all have scored more than him if played the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Keep your panties on, that has nothing to do with anything I said.

So why are you moaning if you already know what is going to happen?

Personally think we haven't signed anyone due to the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Leftist wrote: »
    if it's not done before the world cup, which is fairly apparent now, then i honestly can't see things picking up fast in July during holiday season.

so we're realistically looking at restructuring the squad within the month of august. How many signings would you expect this club, with the track record of drawn out, laborious signings, to make in one month?

I have faith in Van Gaal to do things efficiently but unfortunately he will not be the one driving the transfers forward.

Like many other regulars on this thread, I do not have any faith in Woodwards ability to handle transfer business at this level. He clearly is a phenomenal business man in other areas but he desperately needs to prove that he is up to the task regarding transfer business.

People keep saying its difficult to sing players during a WC transfer window. We've known this since last Summer and there should be extra urgency and determination to push deals through quickly even if it means paying 10 or 15% extra to do so.

PSG signed Luiz so quickly because they threw stupid money at Chelsea which was impossible to refuse. The deal seemed to be concluded in a matter of days.

Now I'm not for one second saying we should be throwing silly money around, but now is not the time for long drawn out transfer deals which might be being held up because we aren't willing to pay that extra 10% to get the deal over the line.

We have gotten ourselves into this mess because of a whole host of poor decisions over the last few years by the board, Fergie, Charlton et al. Now we need to fix it and unfortunately it's going to cost us massively to do so, and not just financially.

Looking at Lambert, I'm surprised he passed a medical.

So why are you moaning if you already know what is going to happen?

Personally think we haven't signed anyone due to the World Cup.

Because it is more piss poor stuff from united, I don't like it even if I can predict it.m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Looking at Lambert, I'm surprised he passed a medical.

If Rooney can do it, Lambert can :p

Augmerson wrote: »
    If Rooney can do it, Lambert can :p

Yeah true, probably just don't look as toned because they are white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not really, you can do your research obviously, that just makes the guess an educated one, but a guess all the same.

Its actually more about getting your physics right. Watching the run up and standing foot, there are only so many places the ball can go. You have guys like Balotelli who deceive the keeper but the majority of penalty takers have tells as to where they are putting the ball. A goalie who just guesses and says "I'm diving left (or right)" won't win a lot of shootouts.

glued wrote: »
    There is a few rumours flying around the usual circles but one I keep hearing is that van Gaal told the Glazers and Woodward that Carrick is going to have a massive role in Manchester United's midfield next season and the team was basically going to be build around Carrick. I also heard that a few journalists got a wrap around the knuckles over the Kroos rumours. One appears to definitely be in some trouble at the minute.

I'm sure the rumour is just a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if Carrick became a starter for van Gaal.

LvG played van Bommel at Bayern for two seasons and he was all sorts of shíte. LvG bought Gustavo, who is a disciplined defensive midfielder, but extremely limited and overrated. And, from what we hear, LvG is mad about Strootman, who is very intelligent and disciplined and has some great attributes, but has a weak touch and close control for a CM.

So LvG really seems to have a habit of picking CMs who are good at other things even if they aren't so tidy with the ball in a tight spot. Carrick fits that mold perfectly and I honestly don't think he has regressed at all. He just had a poor season, like everybody else under Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If Woodward hasn't signed anyone from LvG's list by the end of the WC he might be in for the same treatment as LvG gives journalists.

I wonder if LvG has a clause allowing him to back out if we don't get the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Guillem Balague @GuillemBalague
    1. He has not agreed anything with Chelsea. His agent did not meet Wenger lately (havent spoken for a month)
    2. Barcelona have told Cesc he has to find a team. They want the money to buy Koke. Cost: 35m euros
    3. Arsenal dont want Cesc back and he has been told that already by Arsenal
    4. He is being pushed out by Barcelona but will take his time to find the right club for him

So.....he's signed for Arsenal then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Shaw for 30 million all day, Moreno just isn't as good and is 3 years older

We better not miss out on him, hopefully it's confirmed before the England squad go away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Shaw for 30 million all day, Moreno just isn't as good and is 3 years older

We better not miss out on him, hopefully it's confirmed before the England squad go away

Didn't they fly to Miami yesterday?

• Advertisement

Didn't they fly to Miami yesterday?

Do they not come back before the World Cup?

Looks like they don't, so he probably won't sign for anyone until England get knocked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Well he's played twice as many as two on the list and very very nearly twice as many as two more. And over twice as many as another. Its hardly that much of an exaggeration. 1-2 hundred minutes in the grand scheme of 3k minutes isn't exactly an exaggeration.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Well he's played twice as many as two on the list and very very nearly twice as many as two more. And over twice as many as another. Its hardly that much of an exaggeration. 1-2 hundred minutes in the grand scheme of 3k minutes isn't exactly an exaggeration.

No, it's a bit of an exaggeration, like Agueroo said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No, it's a bit of an exaggeration, like Agueroo said.

Its just being pedantic. I'm going to follow all your posts around from here till the end of time and if you ever round up or round down in a post I'm gonna call you an exaggerator and bitch slap you. (Through the internet)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement