Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Have a feeling United will wreck the place next season. Might just be optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Have a feeling United will wreck the place next season. Might just be optimism.

Ah no no no according to the "champs" we're doomed.......DOOOOOOOMED.

Go check vipers history.....his last few posts have been here......check his last pool thread post......hypocrisy at its finest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Ah no no no according to the "champs" we're doomed.......DOOOOOOOMED.

We are the champs for a few days yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Timmyctc wrote: »
    TBF thats RAWK isn't it. The hardcore forum sites are full of spastic mentalists. I'd say our one is somewhat similar? Whats our one called actually? RedCafe isit?

RedCafe doesn't do bile,delusion,bitterness on the same scale and weird poetry is a no-no.

Rawkmeltdown is available on twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's mad how things have changed, I mean Liverpool are the good guys and people should be happier to see them win the league over Chelsea and City who buy the league, and yet did they think this way when United have been winning the league over the past 20 years?

Did they fùck! Hypocritical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

zerks wrote: »
    RedCafe doesn't do bile,delusion,bitterness on the same scale and weird poetry is a no-no.

Rawkmeltdown is available on twitter.

Oh I know. I follow it and find it hilarious. Tbh I have only briefly been on RedCafe and only been on RAWK a few times at first to verify the RAWK Meltdown posts. I just figured the forum lads were all tw@s. I genuinely don't know who would be worse or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Iron Tulip, the Tsar of Alkmaar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Can't wait for Van Gaal to be confirmed, big ego big presence, the opposite of David Moyes

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Oh I know. I follow it and find it hilarious. Tbh I have only briefly been on RedCafe and only been on RAWK a few times at first to verify the RAWK Meltdown posts. I just figured the forum lads were all tw@s. I genuinely don't know who would be worse or anything.

RAWK meltdown is brilliant.

Seems to have been some money for Pep.

Doubt there's much in it though as Van Gaals price hasn't moved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just saw the Van Gaal interview from yesterday, fantastic stuff, I really hope he gets the job but the longer it goes, the more concerned I get. I have a weird feeling that the board are waiting on what happens with Anchelotti who I think is going to get the door, even if they do win the CL.

I want Louis!!

522f2fbeada2d-Gaaljuichen.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

keane2097 wrote: »
    The Iron Tulip, the Tsar of Alkmaar.

The Iron Tulip makes me laugh every time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Question here for United lads.

Reading van gaals comments on how he'd love the job and how united are the biggest club in the world.

Now that raised eyebrows with me and I was wondering is that something united fans believe? Being the biggest club in the world? Is that something that's important to ye and do you think ye are?

Me personally I'm thinking united aren't as it's somewhat indisputable (IMHO) that Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world. I would thought real then barca and then comes a pack of clubs ala United, Milan, Bayern possibly Pool, Benfica, Juve.

Beat in mind I'm talking history, pedigree, trophies, reputation, fan base, history of players etc. I don't think selling a load of shirts in Asia makes anyone the biggest club in the world.

I hope nobody takes this as a dig cos it's not, but I understand some may be very passionate about this question. It's absolutely not trolling on my behalf, really hoping to get calm answers. I'm not going to defend my personal ranking vehemently either it's just my perceived ranking and I can live with it if someone disagrees but I'd be interested why.

Edit: I'm a Bayern fan myself and don't think they have a claim themselves. Saying just in case that's important with regards to whether I'm trolling or not. In fact I'd probably put United a little ahead of Bayern myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭secman

Milan, possibly pool............no need to say anymore......... probably a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We are the bestiest club the world has ever seen. Bigger than jebus

secman wrote: »
    Milan, possibly pool............no need to say anymore......... probably a troll.

Ah Jesus ...that didn't take long

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I've always thought that it was real then barca, then United and bayern on a level. The forbes top ten is pretty accurate. Liverpool in tenth, about right.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I've always thought that it was real then barca, then United and bayern on a level. The forbes top ten is pretty accurate. Liverpool in tenth, about right.

Must look at that Forbes list, thx

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Van Gaal will be even more anxious this morning after the Madrid result last night ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That's this years Forbes list but a new shirt deal/increased TV money could push us to the summit again ... Over the past 10 years it's been United on the Forbes list for the most.

The big 3 are of course United, Real & Barca - the 3 superpowers in footballing terms who between them over the past 15 -20 years have won a ridiculous amount of trophies. United have the biggest fan base, Real the financial muscle and Barca just that bit of on field footballing magic/unbeatable at their best.

Just to put United into context, David Moyes sacking made headlines across the world, many US news networks/press ran the story and it was a leading headline on the hour on CNN International - that's not even taking into account it being ran across Europe, Asia, Australia etc.

Opponents of United can rank Real, Barca or anyone higher but there is a reason Nike and Adidas are fighting out the biggest ever shirt deal - they certainly are not doing it for the good of their health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I bet in 12.months he wont be as fresh faced. He looks a fit 62. And has only been part time this last few years so should be ready for one last push. Ill be amazed if we dont sign some young dutch talent this summer. Van gaal will know them inside out.

Hopefully. As I posted previously we've been well served in the past by Dutch players. Good solid technically gifted pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

Im sitting on the wall with this one.

Part of me would like to see the Dutch do very well in the World Cup so we really see what we are getting as manager and it will be entertaining seeing him on the side line.

But another part of me wants to see them get knocked out in the Group stages so he can arrive in Manchester ASAP.

I don't want Ancelloti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I don't think United have won enough in Europe to be considered "the biggest" in that regard, Real have 9 ECs, but the 10th has eluded them for a while now, probably win it this season but. I think that puts Real at the top of the pile - also United don't have the ability to attract or close out deals for "marquee" players. Whether or not that's how United have traditionally done business or not is irrelevant at the moment, United NEED to start doing the biz in this regard, because buying the "best from the other PL teams" isn't going to work any more for them.

There is not a true "Biggest club in the world" - money, fan base, fan delusion, history to a certain extent, net worth, attractiveness to top players all play a part.

Suffice to say that United are "top tier" and can be classed as "One of the best clubs in the world" - no idea why Van Gaal saying it is raising eyebrows though, the dogs in the street know he is getting the job, so he is talking up his new employers - nothing new there in the world of football, at least he is not saying "We hope to be the biggest club in the world". He is saying "WE ARE the biggest club in the world", and that is a difference already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    The Red one looks like Iron Man Suit :(

Don't besmirch the Iron Man suit please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I don't think United have won enough in Europe to be considered "the biggest" in that regard, Real have 9 ECs, but the 10th has eluded them for a while now, probably win it this season but. I think that puts Real at the top of the pile - also United don't have the ability to attract or close out deals for "marquee" players. Whether or not that's how United have traditionally done business or not is irrelevant at the moment, United NEED to start doing the biz in this regard, because buying the "best from the other PL teams" isn't going to work any more for them.

There is not a true "Biggest club in the world" - money, fan base, fan delusion, history to a certain extent, net worth, attractiveness to top players all play a part.

Suffice to say that United are "top tier" and can be classed as "One of the best clubs in the world" - no idea why Van Gaal saying it is raising eyebrows though, the dogs in the street know he is getting the job, so he is talking up his new employers - nothing new there in the world of football, at least he is not saying "We hope to be the biggest club in the world". He is saying "WE ARE the biggest club in the world", and that is a difference already.
    When taking about United's European record you have to remember of course over the last few years without Barca being one of the best sides in the history of football we would have added at least 2 more ... but the biggy is the Munich air disaster, how many titles they would have won (concidered the best of their generation) is a matter of debate but I think even the hardest United opponent would accept they would have won a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is Louis confirmed yet or what!

Every day I check the news and nothing. Time is running out. Everything else is in place and things need to happen now.

Cheryl signed up weeks ago, and Simon is his best friend. It wont be the same without him. But there's history between him and Cheryl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

stankratz wrote: »
    I don't want Ancelloti.

Because they drew 1 - 1 last night?

Because they drew 1 - 1 last night?

I doubt that's what swayed his opinion. There's a few on here that have said all along they didn't want him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I doubt that's what swayed his opinion. There's a few on here that have said all along they didn't want him.

3 titles in 15 years isn't really a great stat....

I was mixed about who I wanted LVG or Ancelloti, but now its LVG all the way after his interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

irishfeen wrote: »
    When taking about United's European record you have to remember of course over the last few years without Barca being one of the best sides in the history of football we would have added at least 2 more ... but the biggy is the Munich air disaster, how many titles they would have won (concidered the best of their generation) is a matter of debate but I think even the hardest United opponent would accept they would have won a few.

Excellent post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »
    Yup,they've officially gone nuts.

Who said that???

KH25 wrote: »
    3 titles in 15 years isn't really a great stat....
    That was the line being bandied about that I was referring to. I think he's an excellent manager, couldn't go too far wrong with him. I do think the almost dictator like personality of van Gaal is what's needed right now though. Someone who will take no sh*t.
    The way those Sky reporters were bricking themselves and falling over themselves to apologise to him brought back the memories of the aura of power that Fergie had.

kryogen wrote: »
    Who said that???

RAWK

306110.jpg

The Bertrand one is just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Yeah his reaction to the "What do you know about Manchester United?" question was the best answer ever.

I'd choose LVG over Ancellotti.

Ancellotti just seems like he's a coach. Buy him a team and he'll train them and play them. LVG feels more like a Manager. Imo.

RAWK

306110.jpg

Ah well, yeah, what would you expect from that place I suppose!!

Edit: I see some visually impaired person over there also thinks the ball crossed the line for the Villa goal and that the goal line technology had been tampered with :) Excellent stuff altogether

Ah well, yeah, what would you expect from that place I suppose!!

I know we can give out about the moderation here but that's the flip side of it, little to no moderation. I for one am thankful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Had a look on RAWK last night myself and those 3 quotes were all from the same poster and the rest were telling him to **** off. I'd bet any money it's a non Pool fan taking the piss.

On the LvG v CA debate, I would prefer Carlo long term as I have always said, but right now I think Van Gaal could be pretty perfect for what is needed. Ancelotti is no pushover or anything, but Van Gaal has the credentials and the ego to make the job his own instantly, to get the players to buy into what he wants to do from the off, and if any don't, regardless of reputation, they will be shown the door.

He is uncompromising, I think thats required right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

irishfeen wrote: »
    When taking about United's European record you have to remember of course over the last few years without Barca being one of the best sides in the history of football we would have added at least 2 more .

Sure every big club in europe could think that way at different stages in history. Your basically saying its 100% certain that utd wouldve beaten chelsea in 09 final the team knocked out by barca in the semis. Then real in the 11 final the team knocked out by barca in the semis. Its a ridiculous coment utd are the biggest club in the world and if only for that pesky really good barcelona team of recent years we would have the european trophies to prove it.
    As I said on here before Real and Barca are the big two. Utd are along with bayern below that level. Biggest club in england yes but apart from shirt sales/ most fickle asian fans not the biggest club in the world.

Had a look on RAWK last night myself and those 3 quotes were all from the same poster and the rest were telling him to **** off. I'd bet any money it's a non Pool fan taking the piss.

Probably so, might even be whoever owns the Twitter account although you can never underestimate the stupidity of people, funny to read anyway :D

RAWK Meltdown ‏@RAWK_Meltdown 16h
    (Man City v Aston Villa) My plan for this evening is to simply go into my son's bedroom, touch our 'This is Anfield' poster...

That is one amusing twitter account

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Probably so, might even be whoever owns the Twitter account although you can never underestimate the stupidity of people, funny to read anyway :D

I would join twitter just for it!

Some beauts on it:
    (Man City 2 - 0 Aston Villa) a 0-0 at the Etihad on a Saturday, I'm sure we can knock 11 past Newcastle
    If we had Lloris we woulda walked the league.
    (Everton 2 - 3 Man City) We should request an investigation of match fixing into this. Try and permanently damage their club

Madrid are the biggest club in the world. After that you can argue, but I don't wanna do that right now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Whoosh.

Milkers wrote: »
    Whoosh.

comic-bam.jpg

Madrid are the biggest club in the world. After that you can argue, but I don't wanna do that right now :)

In terms of fans I'd say we are, Madrid get an awful and unfair amount of TV money, not sure if this is correct but hasnt that changed in Spain now were clubs get a more equal share?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

In terms of fans I'd say we are, Madrid get an awful and unfair amount of TV money, not sure if this is correct but hasnt that changed in Spain now were clubs get a more equal share?

Personally, if you use the example of any American that you've met, most will know United over any other team. If they've had no exposure to soccer(ugg) whatsoever they'll still have heard of United..

I am not talking just about fan base, or reported fan base, the prestige and reputation of Real Madrid is not disputable. Doesn't matter how barren a period they go through, they have shown they are still the biggest. All things considered I find it hard to argue with it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement