Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

MUTV is going HD in July. That'll be sweet. Looks like sh¡t now in standard def.
    You really would think that if your a member of the club/season ticket holder you would get it as part of your £32 annual subscription/season ticket...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Get outta here with your positive news.

How's this then? Rooneys been shunted out right by England. Might be time for a strop!and hand in a transfer request...Oh wait

Oh and Koeman wants Chicarito at Southampton plus cash for Shaw.If/When he takes over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Antibac wrote: »
    How's this then? Rooneys been shunted out right by England. Might be time for a strop!and hand in a transfer request...Oh wait

Oh and Koeman wants Chicarito at Southampton plus cash for Shaw.If/When he takes over!

If England planned on playing Rooney out right they would have been better off just not bringing him at all. This annoys me if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Seen some ozzie dicks running story on fb about a 65 million pound bid from us for suarez :D

Obviously bull**** but the reaction from the lfc fans on fb is hilarious :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

He also told us Thiago was in the bag last year.

He was until Alan Curbishley on Speed insisted that we pass on the opportunitu to sign Thiago.

Re Vidal etc, personally I'd prefer for us to bid €60m and for him to turn us down citing not wanting to live in Manchester rather than thinking that Van Gaal and Woodward never went there. They may care about being rejected but I care more about my club striving for the best rather than covering up efforts to sign top players and then signing bums like Fellaini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

de gea

Rafael---Hummels-Evans/Jones--Shaw

----Mata---Schweinstegger--Strootman--

----Rooney
    Rvp
    kolopolyanko--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

kolopolyanko

You had a bit of trouble with that one!

MDF said he's not signing for us anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

He was until Alan Curbishley on Speed insisted that we pass on the opportunitu to sign Thiago.

Re Vidal etc, personally I'd prefer for us to bid €60m and for him to turn us down citing not wanting to live in Manchester rather than thinking that Van Gaal and Woodward never went there. They may care about being rejected but I care more about my club striving for the best rather than covering up efforts to sign top players and then signing bums like Fellaini.

Why? What's the point in having a bid fail publicly?

Do you really think his agent hasn't been briefed by Utd and a host of other clubs reps as to what kind of contract he'd get elsewhere? What if we offer him a deal and he says he has no interest, or Juve say no deal. What does it achieve to then go public and have the offer fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

If England planned on playing Rooney out right they would have been better off just not bringing him at all. This annoys me if true

Unfortunatly it seems to be. Reports were that they were tryin him there yesterday in training with Lambert up front.it seems a complete waste. We will know this evening as they have a friendly match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

Looks like Rooney will be on the left wing, they are playing an experimental side, Milner is going in at right full, lots of other changes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rooney could lose his place altogether in that team if he doesnt shape up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Rooney could lose his place altogether in that team if he doesnt shape up.

He's been ****ed around all season (And Last, and the season before that iirc) with regards position. If t'were Shinji Kagawa or Danny Welbeck people would be defending him to the last. It almost seems if you're versatile with position (in the case of Rooney or Jones for example) it seems more detrimental to your development than positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It almost seems if you're versatile with position (in the case of Rooney or Jones for example) it seems more detrimental to your development than positive.

It definitely is, which is why Wellbeck is doing the right thing for himself if he forces the issue with regards either playing up front or leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

You had a bit of trouble with that one!

MDF said he's not signing for us anyway.

Who is MDF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Man Utd Sweeps Update

Right lads. I got a payment late last night which I can only assume it was from Donnielighto .

I've emailed the address that sent it and asked what the username is.

But we do have 32 payments so regardless the draw will take place today.

The Plan
    To make this fair and random I will be doing the following.

1) I will record the draw
    2) I will use random.org to sort the teams.

How:
    With the screen capture recording I will have the world clock on screen http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ireland/dublin
    I will have this thread on screen.
    I will post in the thread letting you all know the draw has started. ( you will see the clock and time stamp of the thread.
    I will then go to Random.org http://www.random.org/lists/ and enter all the players name into the box.. I will press the Randomize button 5 times - This counts up how many times i've pressed it so you can keep track.
    I will then paste this list into Excel.
    I will then place all the Teams into the Randomizer and do the same as the players.
    The world clock will stay on screen the whole time.. I might even play some music so you can see there is no edits :D

Once I have all the teams randomized I will paste them beside the players.. and the team you are then beside is the team you get.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Edit: Draw will be after I finish work and get home.. so about 6:30 / 7 I would guess. ( If i can get it done any earlier I will. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

NeVeR wrote: »
    The world clock will stay on screen the whole time.. I might even play some music so you can see there is no edits :D

Because there is absolutely no way that you could edit the music in afterwards. :pac: ;)

I'm not involved, but I'm assuming that if 32 people have already sent you their money they have decided to trust you, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Sounds good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shades of Shevchenko for Chelsea?

Jamie Jackson is saying that Cesc is a Chelsea target but not a Mourinho one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No involvement in this sweeps at all but I'm still looking forward to the draw. :p

Love a good draw! Best part of a lads FIFA tournament for me.

Man Utd Sweeps Update

Right lads. I got a payment late last night which I can only assume it was from Donnielighto .

I've emailed the address that sent it and asked what the username is.

But we do have 32 payments so regardless the draw will take place today.

The Plan
    To make this fair and random I will be doing the following.

1) I will record the draw
    2) I will use random.org to sort the teams.

How:
    With the screen capture recording I will have the world clock on screen http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ireland/dublin
    I will have this thread on screen.
    I will post in the thread letting you all know the draw has started. ( you will see the clock and time stamp of the thread.
    I will then go to Random.org http://www.random.org/lists/ and enter all the players name into the box.. I will press the Randomize button 5 times - This counts up how many times i've pressed it so you can keep track.
    I will then paste this list into Excel.
    I will then place all the Teams into the Randomizer and do the same as the players.

Once I have all the teams randomized I will paste them beside the players.. and the team you are then beside is the team you get.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Edit: Draw will be after I finish work and get home.. so about 6:30 / 7 I would guess. ( If i can get it done any earlier I will. )
    It should really be done live with you presiding over the draw - a boring long winded intro, a bit of totty thrown in presenting showing a bit of leg/boobies, a bald lad from FIFA, a random WC legand and small round little balls impossible for anyone to open with names/teams....

Where peoples bit of class gone at all....you should be deeply ashamed of such an amateur setup NeVeR :(:):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

irishfeen wrote: »
    It should really be done live with you presiding over the draw - a boring long winded intro, a bit of totty thrown in presenting showing a bit of leg/boobies, a bald lad from FIFA, a random WC legand and small round little balls impossible for anyone to open with names/teams....

Where peoples bit of class gone at all....you should be deeply ashamed of such an amateur setup NeVeR :(:):p

he can fix it if you want it to be more in line with the Fifa/Uefa draws:p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

He's been ****ed around all season (And Last, and the season before that iirc) with regards position. If t'were Shinji Kagawa or Danny Welbeck people would be defending him to the last. It almost seems if you're versatile with position (in the case of Rooney or Jones for example) it seems more detrimental to your development than positive.

Was he ****ed around this season? I always got the feeling Moyes was building the team round him and let Wayne have free reign on where he played...

NTMK wrote: »
    he can fix it if you want it to be more in line with the Fifa/Uefa draws:p
    Now now, don't be bold :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Do you really think his agent hasn't been briefed by Utd and a host of other clubs reps as to what kind of contract he'd get elsewhere? What if we offer him a deal and he says he has no interest, or Juve say no deal. What does it achieve to then go public and have the offer fail?
    A public rejection satisfies the needs of those angry individuals who need a spectacle to keep them entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

irishfeen wrote: »

If he manages to get through 32 kinder eggs today he can use the plastic containers to put the teams in.

I really hope I don't get Brazil or Argentina I'll NeVeR hear the end of it ... I want Ghana :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

de gea

Rafael---Hummels-Evans/Jones--Shaw

----Mata---Schweinstegger--Strootman--

----Rooney
    Rvp
    kolopolyanko--

You ask if people would be happy with signing the best young lb in the world, a world class cb, two world class midfielders and a winger. What do you think if Football manager it would be unlikely nevermind real life of course everyone would be happy with that.

Personally I would prefer to know that the club has done everything it can to sign players of that calibre.

If (say) Fabregas only wants to live in London or Vidal only wants to play for Real Madrid, so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

I really hope I don't get Brazil or Argentina I'll NeVeR hear the end of it ... I want Ghana :)

You could use a site like this:
    http://goal.brazilsweepstake2014.com/

You set it up, PM the link to the 32 people. Each person signs up and teams are distributed at sign up.

Personally, I'd prefer the streamed draw you propose, adds a bit of excitement. Even if you got Brasil, I don't think people will be calling a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

TheDoc wrote: »

Hunter has told news talk Barca have confirmed off the record an agreed fee. No one knows Barca stuff better I guess?

What? Hunter is a notorious spoofer. I have no idea how people believe he has sources at Barca. Look at his tweets. He references Mundo Deportivo (akin to the Sun, Star, etc) and pure conjecture (should, perhaps, etc).
    "I'm in Brazil now for WC prep but if Miguel Rico of Mundo Deportivo says that #Chelsea & FCB are close to a deal on #Cesc it'll be sound"

"Money talks and one could look at #Barça as a club where the 'rejuventation' of the squad may be exciting. So, perhaps, #Koke is doable"

"The idea that #Barça want #Koke is a no-brainer. Technically very good, young, hard working, physical. Fabulous assist delivery."

"Obviously #Barça could, probably should, meet the #Koke buy out clause."

Hunter is just as bad, if not worse than Balague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Twitter is for fools. BBC 'til death!

Not related to the Draw or MUFC but my boss sent me this link.. ahhh the memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I'm taking the quietness on the transfer deals front as a positive, possibly a return to the old way of just doing it behind the scenes and announcing that it's done, wham bam. Perhaps all the public pursuits last summer were attempts by DM and EW to gain the favour of those who didn't warm to them and now that it's LVG he just doesn't give a toss and will just do his own thing and rightly not care about what the fans think of his transfer strategy.

I trust LVG to have had a good plan negotiated and in place before he was ever announced and good targets sussed out...the less the media get a grasp on the better if you ask me, the BS spouted by the various journalists would wear you out.

bren2001 wrote: »
    You could use a site like this:
    http://goal.brazilsweepstake2014.com/

You set it up, PM the link to the 32 people. Each person signs up and teams are distributed at sign up.

Personally, I'd prefer the streamed draw you propose, adds a bit of excitement. Even if you got Brasil, I don't think people will be calling a fix.

Thats great I wish i had it at the start.. but i've my heart set on my way for now.. and I'll do it this evening.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ericzeking wrote: »
    I'm taking the quietness on the transfer deals front as a positive, possibly a return to the old way of just doing it behind the scenes and announcing that it's done, wham bam. Perhaps all the public pursuits last summer were attempts by DM and EW to gain the favour of those who didn't warm to them and now that it's LVG he just doesn't give a toss and will just do his own thing and rightly not care about what the fans think of his transfer strategy.

I trust LVG to have had a good plan negotiated and in place before he was ever announced and good targets sussed out...the less the media get a grasp on the better if you ask me, the BS spouted by the various journalists would wear you out.

+1

United were never one of these clubs who trumpeted deals publicly before they were done.IIRC Woodward also reiterated this and is sticking to this mantra,hence the media & our fascination with this mysterious list that's been talked about.

Thats great I wish i had it at the start.. but i've my heart set on my way for now.. and I'll do it this evening.

Thanks.

Play the Champions League theme song in the background becuase it's the only time we'll here it next year!

Rega wrote: »
    If he manages to get through 32 kinder eggs today he can use the plastic containers to put the teams in.
    Haha that's exactly what I was thinking and his mom, sister, gf, hot friend for the bit of talent :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He was dreadful behind the striker and this could be a ploy by Roy to bench him, he's destined to be even worse on the wing especially with Roy's tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He was dreadful behind the striker and this could be a ploy by Roy to bench him, he's destined to be even worse on the wing especially with Roy's tactics

Has Roy considered perhaps playing him as a striker? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

but does he deserve a starting spot up front considering sturridges form? no goal scored in 8 world cup games and hasn't scored for England last 4 games...not great for a "world class" striker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

bangkok wrote: »
    but does he deserve a starting spot up front considering sturridges form? no goal scored in 8 world cup games and hasn't scored for England last 4 games...not great for a "world class" striker

So you'd want to bench a world class striker who has been carrying the national team since he's been 18, for a player that has had one good season.

Rooney scored 7 goals in the qualifiers, was Englands leading scorer for that. What do the last World Cups got to do with Rooney's current form?

Also, IIRC, Rooney had picked up injuries just before both World Cups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Macca07 wrote: »
    So you'd want to bench a world class striker who has been carrying the national team since he's been 18, for a player that has had one good season.

Rooney scored 7 goals in the qualifiers, was Englands leading scorer for that. What do the last World Cups got to do with Rooney's current form?

Also, IIRC, Rooney had picked up injuries just before both World Cups.

no I never said he should be dropped, but maybe he doesn't deserve to start up front at the moment... and as you said CURRENT form which sturridge has

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Apparently Januzaj's debut for Beligum has been struck off...
    Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj has his first Belgium cap taken from him after Fifa wiped the 5-1 win against Luxembourg from the official records.
    Coach Marc Wilmots made seven substitutions in the World Cup warm-up match, one more than the amount permitted by world football's governing body.
    It also means Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku has his hat trick in the 26 May encounter erased and goalkeeper Sammy Bossut also has his first cap annulled.

From Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

bangkok wrote: »
    no I never said he should be dropped, but maybe he doesn't deserve to start up front at the moment... and as you said CURRENT form which sturridge has

Sturridge has no real international experience, no major tournaments under him. Roy would be nuts to shove Rooney out on the wing. Rooney's best position is up front, I think England would be a better team with Rooney up front, with Sturridge and Sterling/Welbeck coming in from the wings. If Rooney doesn't deserve to start up front, then he doesn't deserve to start at all.

All 3 are better players than Rooney coming from the wings, Rooney should be played as the #9 or #10. But I'm sure Roy is just trying something different for tonights game and it'll be the usual setup we see at the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yes this talk of dropping/shoving Rooney out wide has me puzzled. Despite not playing too well in the last game he was still their top goalscorer in qualifiers, and his last few major tournaments he's been injured/had other issues and if he wasn't so integral to England he probably wouldn't have been selected at all.

That and the calls have come in favour of Sturridge who hasn't exactly ripped up trees himself in his few England caps with his goals either coming in unimportant low opposition friendlies or comfortable low opposition qualifier wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

If hes not going to start him up front then dont start him at all because I would rather Welbeck on the left anyway

The Liverpool bias on tv has a lot to answer for...Sturridge ahead of Rooney...FFS

(i.e. the ridiculous amount of blinkered ex Liverpool players in the media)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement