Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BBC 2 WALES are showing the Holland v Wales game.Anyone with satellite tv can tune it in via 'other channels'. Frequency is 10312 V 22.0 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Macca07 wrote: »
    What commentators? At least provide a link to an article or something.

2007, CL Semi Final 1st leg v AC Milan, scored 2
    2004 against Fenerbache, he scored a hat-trick on his debut
    2010 CL ties v AC Milan, 2 goals in both games

3 games off the top of my head where he was the best player on the pitch by a mile.

And you changed your argument from your last post, first by saying he has never had a great CL game, to now it being a great CL season.

In the 2011 season when United were beaten by Barca in the final, he was the best player for United that season.

In the previous season, he was also United's best player until he picked up the injury.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2014/04/10/4742570/will-the-real-wayne-rooney-please-stand-up

and rooney has never been once named in a champions league team of the season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bangkok wrote: »
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2014/04/10/4742570/will-the-real-wayne-rooney-please-stand-up

Where's those players you said were definitely going to be signed last week?

FutureGuy wrote: »

shaw and kroos? shaw will still sign and van gaal pulled the plug on kroos deal. nothing me you or toni kroos can do about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

FutureGuy wrote: »

No no FG, Toni is coming after the German Cu.... wait a second. No, wait, yeah, usual "IDK" bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

zerks wrote: »
    BBC 2 WALES are showing the Holland v Wales game.Anyone with satellite tv can tune it in via 'other channels'. Frequency is 10312 V 22.0 5/6
    Also available on Sky with these details (add via Other Channels) ;)

Frequency: 10.788
    Polarisation: V
    Symbol Rate: 22.0
    FEC: 5/6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Right..........so, what the other guy said then!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

That article is by an absolute nobody in terms of world soccer. I could post up a blog saying that Rooney is the best player ever to play the game and copy the link here, that's how relevant your link is. I was expecting something from someone that actually has a reputation as a sports journalist.

Also, that article kind of contradicts what you were saying. One line from it says "Often regarded as a big-game player". It's also about a game where Rooney had picked up a knock prior to it and had to have pain-killing injections to play.

So what if Rooney has never once made the CL team of the season? Doesn't make your point any more valid. Ashley Cole has never made the FIFA team of the year, does that not make him one of the best LBs to play the game for the last decade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What about 2 seasons ago when he scored 27 goals in the PL?

What is the common denominator with both of those seasons? Rooney played as a striker.

That's not really true though. The season you are talking about (11/12) when Rooney scored 27 league goals, he mainly played at #10 with Welbeck further ahead. Rooney has played that position for most of the last 4 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

So Thomas Muller wants to have talks with Bayern about his future at the club.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9337646/transfer-news-thomas-muller-wants-meeting-with-bayern-munich-hierarchy
    I have reached the point where I want to know if I am an essential component of the Bayern Munich first XI for the new season and if the club has plans for me over the coming years

Macca07 wrote: »
    That article is by an absolute nobody in terms of world soccer. I could post up a blog saying that Rooney is the best player ever to play the game and copy the link here, that's how relevant your link is. I was expecting something from someone that actually has a reputation as a sports journalist.

Also, that article kind of contradicts what you were saying. One line from it says "Often regarded as a big-game player". It's also about a game where Rooney had picked up a knock prior to it and had to have pain-killing injections to play.

So what if Rooney has never once made the CL team of the season? Doesn't make your point any more valid. Ashley Cole has never made the FIFA team of the year, does that not make him one of the best LBs to play the game for the last decade?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/james-lawton-faded-wayne-rooney-must-reinvent-himself-at-manchester-united--as-a-player-sir-alex-ferguson-still-needs-8082514.html

james Lawton wrote that.. is that good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Does the fact we have this same discussion constantly not show there's actually merit to such a discussion; that Rooney has yet to actually prove any of those things as utterly wrong?

No. It shows how stupid most football fans and journos are and how silly ideas can become very popular. Like the idea that Nani is lazy or that Gerrard is a good central midfielder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pro. F wrote: »
    No. It shows how stupid most football fans and journos are and how silly ideas can become very popular. Like the idea that Nani is lazy or that Gerrard is a good central midfielder.

Wait, you don't even think Gerrard is "good"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

2578047_o.gif

but does he deserve a starting spot up front considering sturridges form? no goal scored in 8 world cup games and hasn't scored for England last 4 games...not great for a "world class" striker

7 goals in 6 games in qualifiers.

Edit: 17 goals in 27 league games for an awful United team this season. And for the majority of all these games he wasn't even playing as the centre forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pro what have you done, you have doomed us all

kermit-running-o.gif

I did it just to see the gifs. I regret nothing.

Wait, you don't even think Gerrard is "good"?

As a number 10 he's excellent. As a central midfielder he is average compared to what will be at the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

kryogen wrote: »
    Is it any opinion that doesn't fawn over the genius of Sturridge while disparaging Rooney that will be mocked?

The dellusion is strong in that one kryo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So, Costa completes his medical.... Can united start buying players now another side has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As a number 10 he's excellent. As a central midfielder he is average compared to what will be at the World Cup.

Can't wait to see his clueless little scrunched up face when he's been ran sideways by good offensive teams. The so called "reborn DM" going to look pretty lackluster imo when it comes to the crunch.

Nagging feeling they will regret not taking Carrick or Barry.

In a different thread suarez is being hailed as good as messi and ronaldo oh god my sides...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

In a different thread suarez is being hailed as good as messi and ronaldo oh god my sides...

Well, actually........Nah, it's just ridiculous.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Can't wait to see his clueless little scrunched up face when he's been ran sideways by good offensive teams. The so called "reborn DM" going to look pretty lackluster imo when it comes to the crunch.

Nagging feeling they will regret not taking Carrick or Barry.

Carrick and Barry would have just as much trouble imo. They've got the same problem of unreliable touch and control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Use it as a filter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get the sniper ready(although probably fake)

BpS5UXbCEAATaYi.png

I would really like it if we signed him.

Also the Guardian don't care who writes their sport crap in Manchester anymore, guess Taylor is still bitter.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/04/manchester-united-kevin-strootman-30m-january-target-roma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    Get the sniper ready(although probably fake)

BpS5UXbCEAATaYi.png

I would really like it if we signed him.

Also the Guardian don't care who writes their sport crap in Manchester anymore, guess Taylor is still bitter.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/04/manchester-united-kevin-strootman-30m-january-target-taylorroma
    Taylor still bitter about what? Did Woodward not pick up the tab on any of their lunches together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: And this is exactly the sort of cross thread rubbish that many regulars were complaining about in the feedback thread, and is exactly the kind of post that attracts the type of posters who would be more than happy to try and derail this thread on the regulars.

If people want to try to start cross thread spats, then we are more than willing to give any stirrers a reason to have to find a different soccer forum to post in.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Mod Post: And this is exactly the sort of cross thread rubbish that many regulars were complaining about in the feedback thread, and is exactly the kind of post that attracts the type of posters who would be more than happy to try and derail this thread on the regulars.

If people want to try to start cross thread spats, then we are more than willing to give any stirrers a reason to have to find a different soccer forum to post in.
    sorry i didnt realise there was a feedback thread wasnt trying to derail anything i just thought it was funny if it caused offense apologies lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Taylor still bitter about what? Did Woodward not pick up the tab on any of their lunches together?

Fergie banning him from press conferences.

Sort of ironically how he banned me from following him on twitter when I mentioned the above after some trash he wrote about Nani going to Juve couple of seasons back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Man Utd Fans World Cup Sweeps

Right lads.

I'm home and at the computer. I'm setting up everything i need to do the draw.

Once i'm ready to start I will post again saying i'm starting.. Once it's done and uploaded I will post the video and the list :D

Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Documentary about Giggsy tomorrow night on ITV 1 at 9pm

Trailer for it below

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

NeVeR wrote: »
    Man Utd Fans World Cup Sweeps

Right lads.

I'm home and at the computer. I'm setting up everything i need to do the draw.

Once i'm ready to start I will post again saying i'm starting.. Once it's done and uploaded I will post the video and the list :D

Stay tuned.

You probably done it ages ago. But you had to do it so many times until you got Brazil et al.

I'm starting the sweep now.

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I'm starting the sweep now.

Good luck everyone.
    make sure you remember how I gave you that extra 10 :P

It's done.

Check back in 5 or 10 min to see the draw and team.

It's done.

Check back in 5 or 10 min to see the draw and team.
    Just copy and paste in the teams/usernames - I certainly believe ya ;)

Man Utd World Cup Sweeps

Player | Team
    Timmyctc | BosniaandHerzegovina
    s.welstead | CostaRica
    keane2097 | Ecuador
    NeVeR | Argentina
    Liam O | Germany
    Iago | Australia
    yermandan | Colombia
    Saucy McKetchup | Algeria
    irishfeen | Nigeria
    Blatter | Iran
    Will I Amnt | Chile
    Donnielighto | Greece
    RasTa | Netherlands
    collie0708 | Mexico
    KevIRL | Ghana
    markc1184 | Brazil
    Thatsfootball | Russia
    glued | Japan
    astradave | England
    Vertigo100 | France
    bren2001 | Portugal
    bennyl10 | Cameroon
    scudzilla | SouthKorea
    LostBoy101 | Honduras
    Gadge | Uruguay
    Thepoet85 | Spain
    ManofStraw | UnitedStates
    LightOfTruth | IvoryCoast
    ninja900 | Croatia
    bucketybuck | Italy
    duffman13 | Switzerland
    BKtje | Belgium

Prizes
    World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Most yellow cards in group stages €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

Official Video
    http://www.davidstokes.com/sweep/world-cup-sweep.html
    Make sure you make it Full Screen

Good Luck to you all and thanks for playing

Nigeria ... oh for fcuk sake... :rolleyes:

140px-Nigeria_FA.svg.png

be3a5d4490b1b0a160e3159d8d29e347

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Come on Algeria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

England! Well that's me outta the running for first place anyways ;-D

I'm happy with mine :D

Have you looked at the video ?

I did it as fair / random as I could

Also took a suggestion from the thread and added a bit of music lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Man Utd World Cup Sweeps

Prizes
    World Cup winner €150
    Runner Up €70

1st Most yellow cards in group stages €20
    1st Red Card €20
    1st OG €20
    1st Peno €20
    Worst goal difference in group stages. €20

Official Video
    http://www.davidstokes.com/sweep/world-cup-sweep.html
    Make sure you make it Full Screen

Good Luck to you all and thanks for playing

FFS where was Terence the independent adjudicator from KPMG??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I think Van Gaal like his central midfielders to be solid and have bite, which is why I'm not surprised he is not interested in Fabregas. Apparently Schweigstegger does not suit Guardoleas style of football so Bayern may be prepared to let him go, I think Id prefer Schweinstegger over Fabregas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Ummmmmmmmm why didn't you just randomise them once?

Aye i'd be happy if I were you too ;) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Good job NeVeR, fair play.
    F*cking Chile :pac:

Ummmmmmmmm why didn't you just randomise them once?

I said it here and said it in the video before i started.

I did it 5 times to make it extra random - as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Jesus Christ give the man a break. The draw was fair and square.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement