Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Unless Fabregas is coming to us and Woodward has just played his cards close to his chest...

We are being left in City and Chelsea's wake...even Liverpool are strengthening while we just f..k around.

Why isn't the Shaw deal done yet?

Probably because he's holding out for Chelsea to make an offer. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if we missed out on him.

You really have to wonder what the hell is going on at the club. Are they unwilling to spend? Is there any money to spend? Is there confusion about targets? Is it a case that Woody hasn't got a clue how to conduct transfer dealings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Maybe he just doesn't want to play for United???
    You can't force players to come.

So he joins one of his ex clubs biggest rivals instead then? Where he might not even play every game and according to storys the manager didn't want him........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Unless Fabregas is coming to us and Woodward has just played his cards close to his chest...

We are being left in City and Chelsea's wake...even Liverpool are strengthening while we just f..k around.

Why isn't the Shaw deal done yet?
    Ah sure whats the panic - we'll wait until the end playing hardball over a few million until panic stations set in and we'll buy David Meyler for about 30 million :rolleyes:

I still think we will pull out 1 big name and few other decent buys.

I never bought into the Kroos machine and Cesc was never happening imo, so I was never as disappointed as some and still think we have targets and will get a few of them.

Maybe im too optimistic. If its like this come 1st of August I be ****ting a brick.
    I really do hope your right Kew lad, we need about 6 quality players to even compete for anything... at the minute Shaw even looks not certain - I honestly cannot understand what's going on at the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Beyond your own internal thoughts, do you have absolutely anything to base that on? All the press and fanzine snouts say united have shown no interest in him, but if you have some hint at another angle I'd love to hear it.

The press in the last month have shown they don't have a ****ing clue what is happening at United; they've continually contradicted themselves in terms of who we are after and not after. They are settling on that story now.

I base my thoughts on some simply facts; we spent the entire of last summer chasing him in a very public manner. We need midfielders. He was clearly available. Occam's razor and all that. It strikes me it is far, far more likely that we asked and were told it wasn't happening, or that we didn't because we realized we never stood a chance, and that the PR department decided to start spreading the word we weren't interested.

Realistically, what could we offer Chelsea can't? Once they were in, that was game over for us, no matter what Woodward or anyone else tried.

Ultimately United will be judged based on the entire transfer window, not on the opening weeks, and we knew it would be a long summer for a variety of reasons. Throwing toys out of the pram already is hyperbolic and, to be blunt, makes this topic really toxic and mindnumbing to read.

Heap, Woodward is sitting in his office twiddling his thumbs and looking up pictures of cats :rolleyes:

Sure he posts here in the forum regularly doesn't he?! I'm not going to name names, but an aroused man walking sideways through an airport security scanner on his way to Thailand is always going to...

Van Gaal might want to see the Utd squad in the flesh before he makes signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishfeen wrote: »
    I really do hope your right Kew lad, we need about 6 quality players to even compete for anything... at the minute Shaw even looks not certain - I honestly cannot understand what's going on at the club.

We wont get 6 quality players.

We will do well to get 3 imo.

Thats my worry that some fans just think we can get 6-7 players and it be A OK.

How do you know Shaw isn't certain?

rarnes1 wrote: »

By the time that happens all the decent players will be gone ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The press in the last month have shown they don't have a ****ing clue what is happening at United; they've continually contradicted themselves in terms of who we are after and not after. They are settling on that story now.

I base my thoughts on some simply facts; we spent the entire of last summer chasing him in a very public manner. We need midfielders. He was clearly available. Occam's razor and all that. It strikes me it is far, far more likely that we asked and were told it wasn't happening, or that we didn't because we realized we never stood a chance, and that the PR department decided to start spreading the word we weren't interested.

Realistically, what could we offer Chelsea can't? Once they were in, that was game over for us, no matter what Woodward or anyone else tried.

Ultimately United will be judged based on the entire transfer window, not on the opening weeks, and we knew it would be a long summer for a variety of reasons. Throwing toys out of the pram already is hyperbolic and, to be blunt, makes this topic really toxic and mindnumbing to read.

So firstly you are basing it on nothing.

Secondly, you also state maybe we didn't go for him at all because we figured we wouldn't have a chance. So you say there is a good chance we didn't try for him, which is what you are arguing against. Clap, clap. Clap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Or he may just not rate Cesc for whatever system he has in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

stankratz wrote: »
    Sure he posts here in the forum regularly doesn't he?! I'm not going to name names, but an aroused man walking sideways through an airport security scanner on his way to Thailand is always going to...

?

Have we signed him? Have we agreed a fee with Southampton?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

By the time that happens all the decent players will be gone ha.

Exactly.

If we don't get world class reinforcements, we can forget Champions League qualification.

Look at City's squad compared to ours. Look at the business that Chelsea are doing.

FFS.

We wont get 6 quality players.

We will do well to get 3 imo.

Thats my worry that some fans just think we can get 6-7 players and it be A OK.
    Ah I will be sinking pints galore with a big stupid smile on my face if we get 3 this window (my big worry is we might not even end up with this) - doesn't change the fact that we need 6 over the next few windows to even contemplate winning major trophies again.

Exactly.

If we don't get world class reinforcements, we can forget Champions League qualification.

Look at City's squad compared to ours. Look at the business that Chelsea are doing.

FFS.

This is the united of glazers and Woodward, a united that aims to compete with Everton, spurs, arsenal and Liverpool, and still doing crap at it.

Of course its uncertain until he signs on the dotted line - various reports of Chelsea sniffing around too...

Ah I will be sinking pints galore with a big stupid smile on my face if we get 3 this window - doesn't change the fact that we need 6 over the next few windows to even contemplate winning major trophies again.

well you said it, it will take a few windows.

No short term fix for this. I have learned a hell of a lot in the past 9 months about signing players and be careful what you wish for etc.

Sadly, fans expectations can be way OTT and unrealistic and you can end up in worse place then you began.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Secondly, you also state maybe we didn't go for him at all because we figured we wouldn't have a chance. So you say there is a good chance we didn't try for him, which is what you are arguing against. Clap, clap. Clap.

I'd say he's basing it on about as much fact as you're basing your assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Pretty poor decision from Wilmots, very annoying for adnan and romelu. Imagine scoring an international hat trick and a manager taking it away from you :confused:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jun/FIFA-wipe-Adnan-Januzaj-Belgium-debut-from-records.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Another big worry now is that Chelsea have sorted up front and midfield and the only big problem area they have left to sort is left back. What's the betting they'll focus all their efforts on getting Shaw now that we have been unable to get the deal closed.

We are probably not going to get anyone signed this side of the World Cup. The final game is the middle of July. Players involved will be taking short holidays at the very least. It is quite possible we could be facing into the start of August with nobody signed.

Obviously this is a worst case scenario but given how badly we have handled transfer business over the last couple of years I wouldn't be shocked.

As much as any other source online :rolleyes:

If we didn't try, and that's an IF, it's because we knew the wasn't a chance and time was better spent elsewhere. The point is while some want to paint it as ineptitude, I see it as not wasting more time on an unobtainable target, something we did a lot last summer.

Though please, keep being condescending, it really adds to your posts :rolleyes:

I'd say he's basing it on about as much fact as you're basing your assumptions.

I'm basing it on what every northern press packer is saying, along with red issue and united we stand, do I'm basing my opinion on a lot more than my own inner monologue, unlike him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It also would not surprise me to see Chelsea wrap up Shaw in the coming days. They'll have their business pretty much wrapped up before the WC.

• Advertisement

well you said it, it will take a few windows.

No short term fix for this. I have learned a hell of a lot in the past 9 months about signing players and be careful what you wish for etc.

Sadly, fans expectations can be way OTT and unrealistic and you can end up in worse place then you began.
    To be brutally honest Kew is there really a much worse place then 1st to 7th and a midfield that probably wouldn't make any top flight team in Europe... people are not unrealistic but worried about WTF is happening at our club.

Of course its uncertain until he signs on the dotted line - various reports of Chelsea sniffing around too...

Ok then, but your previous post seemed shocked that it was uncertain!

He's a Chelsea fan afaik

Pretty poor decision from Wilmots, very annoying for adnan and romelu. Imagine scoring an international hat trick and a manager taking it away from you :confused:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Jun/FIFA-wipe-Adnan-Januzaj-Belgium-debut-from-records.aspx

Thats mad. I thouggt you could make as many subs in a friendly as you liked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ok then,

How do you know he is certain?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    It also would not surprise me to see Chelsea wrap up Shaw in the coming days. They'll have their business pretty much wrapped up before the WC.
    Honestly - this place/the world of United would just explode....

• Advertisement

I think its about time we hired someone to deal with transfers and transfers only. It's clear Woodward knows how to make money but he can't spend it for his life!

If we **** up this summer never mind Van Gaal God himself won't get this team anywhere!

I also don't think there's an issue with fans complaining at this stage. I think we have every right to when u see what's going on at our rivals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'm basing it on what every northern press packer is saying, along with red issue and united we stand, do I'm basing my opinion on a lot more than my own inner monologue, unlike him.

So all the sources that have contradicted themselves numerous times already since the season finished?

Honestly - this place/the world of United would just explode....

I may well just delete my bookmark to this forum if that happened. Place would be insufferable.

To be brutally honest Kew is there really a much worse place then 1st to 7th and a midfield that probably wouldn't make any top flight team in Europe... people are not unrealistic but worried about WTF is happening at our club.

Yes, but go back for last 2 to 3 summers and how many people were saying the squad was fine etc...and some can rant all they like, but especially the summers of 2011 and 2012 a lot of fans were too content with a squad that was begging for freshness and a few players of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I would be so pissed if they signed Shaw instead of us. Another year of Evra at left back and we can forget about CL qualification.

Chelsea with a decent goal scorer up front are going to be very hard to beat next year.

So all the sources that have contradicted themselves numerous times already since the season finished?

I disagree with your view of them. United have, I understand, changed their plans since appointing van gaal. Kroos was a target, isn't now. LVG said he doesn't want fabregas, apparently. So reporting being close to kroos then backing out isn't a contradiction, it's a reporting of the changing ground at united, which now has us in for an even tougher summer.

Yes, but go back for last 2 to 3 summers and how many people were saying the squad was fine etc...and some can rant all they like, but especially the summers of 2011 and 2012 a lot of fans were too content with a squad that was begging for freshness and a few players of class.
    Tbh I think they were in the minority - humiliation at the hands or Barca and City on more then one occasion had the vast majority of fans calling for signings.

Tbh I think they were in the minority - humiliation at the hands or Barca and City on more then one occasion had the vast majority of fans calling for signings.

go back to those summers and have a read up if you like.

I browsed a few times the last week. Interesting reading.

I agree 100%.

Chelsea are wiping our eye this summer.

You can see how this will pan out...

- We sign nobody before the World Cup

- Shaw gets game time and ends up signing for someone else (probably Chelsea)

- We start trying to do business when Van Gaal is back from his holidays at which time the best players are gone.

- Woodward ends up frantically trying to sign quality players but ends up with a rag tag rabble of a couple of guys plus the crocked Strootman.

- Without a proper pre-season, we start badly and next season (i.e. 33% of Van Gaal's contract) is a write off.

We are f..ked. It's so depressing.

I think its about time we hired someone to deal with transfers and transfers only. It's clear Woodward knows how to make money but he can't spend it for his life!

If we **** up this summer never mind Van Gaal God himself won't get this team anywhere!

I also don't think there's an issue with fans complaining at this stage. I think we have every right to when u see what's going on at our rivals.

How is it Woodwards fault? Every report says that Van Gaal doesn't want him, hence no offer. Do you really want us signing players our new manager doesn't want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

United could really benefit from someone in a director of football type role who has experience in football and is there to do the negotiating of player transfers. I know the argument against one is always ''But the manager no longer has full control of his squad/signings'' but why not go to your manager and ask him is there anyone who he would like to see appointed to the role and let him pick someone who agrees with his vision for the club and would agree with a list of potential signings so that there would be no conflict of interest.

go back to those summers and have a read up if you like.

I browsed a few times the last week. Interesting reading.
    I used not post on here back that far so you would honestly know more them me ... I certainly would have been taking them up on it anyway lad..

Just seeing my Sweeps team. Got Bosnia. Woop woop. Hon the Dzeko.

How is it Woodwards fault? Every report says that Van Gaal doesn't want him, hence no offer. Do you really want us signing players our new manager doesn't want?

Would Van Gaal really leave it till August to start his "list" makes no sense. The club has to have some idea right now what the manager wants and give him something to work with by time he's home Brazil.

Would Van Gaal really leave it till August to start his "list" makes no sense. The club has to have some idea right now what the manager wants and give him something to work with by time he's home Brazil.

Van Gaal said ages ago that he'd had discussions with the club about who he wanted and who could be let go. Just because you don't know who he is after doesn't mean he isn't after anyone.

Do you really want Woodward deciding who is bought regardless of if Van Gaal wants them or not?

And how do we know he isn't working on the list?

Were people saying that United's midfield was fine?

If they were...Jesus Christ

And how do we know he isn't working on the list?

We don't but we don't really know anything.

All we know is clubs around us are buying and selling players at ease and it seems we have no interest in top players....... Something doesn't seem right there someone is doing something wrong either way.

Van Gaal said ages ago that he'd had discussions with the club about who he wanted and who could be let go. Just because you don't know who he is after doesn't mean he isn't after anyone.

Do you really want Woodward deciding who is bought regardless of if Van Gaal wants them or not?

Fair enough...so why aren't they being bought?

If he wants Strootman (for example), then why haven't we bought him (injury or no injury)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I think we may have to come to the realisation that we will be shopping in the second tier of players for the next while and possibly paying tier one prices.

If fabregas didn't want to come, it doesn't bode well, if he was going back to arsenal, then fine. I for one am very worried about the ability of united to get deals done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement