Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was 4th from bottom on the list of names

and after it was 'randomised' five times, still fourth from bottom.. hmm. :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

But there our main rivals in the league what they do during a transfer window will affect us.

Your main rivals in the league this year were Spurs and Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Our Year wrote: »

Same as yours for the previous 20 then ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I don't normally post these things as many of you know.
    However.....

A mate of mine was chatting to Ryan Giggs today. His best buddy is a taxi driver, and Giggs and the wife were in Dublin in his cab.
    He rang my mate, and Giggsy was happy to chat to him...

He told him that Shaw is a done deal.

__

I await the backlash from all the naysayers, and I have no reason to believe him apart from the fact he's me mate. So take it how you will.

Edit - for what it's worth, there is a picture of Giggsy and me mate's mate.....

Is your mate an ex goalkeeper and possibly the most fanatical United fan in the world? I heard this myself today and seen the pics aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure if this gif was posted, the replay clearly shows how dangerous the tackle was. Valencia was very lucky there.

OilyWebbedAmphibian.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

If Valencia had his body weight on his right leg it would of been broken and it would be bye bye World Cup.

Don't think it was malicious by Sterling though, just inexperience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yes, but go back for last 2 to 3 summers and how many people were saying the squad was fine etc...and some can rant all they like, but especially the summers of 2011 and 2012 a lot of fans were too content with a squad that was begging for freshness and a few players of class.

We have lost a lot of players since then.

Yes, but go back for last 2 to 3 summers and how many people were saying the squad was fine etc...and some can rant all they like, but especially the summers of 2011 and 2012 a lot of fans were too content with a squad that was begging for freshness and a few players of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I don't think we need too many signings to make us a better team. We have good enough team but a good LB and CM or 2 would take us to the next level.
    De Gea(23)

Rafael (23) Smalling(24)/Jones(22) Evans(26) LB (Shaw 18)

Fellaini(26) New CM

Januzaj(19) Rooney(28) Mata(26)

RVP(30)

With Kagawa, Nani, Carrick, Welbeck, Keane on bench. Average age of those 10 players is 24 years and that's a fantastic core to build the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Scumbag tackle

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Our Year wrote: »

I love your user name. There's more of a chance of it being your year as there is me (Futureguy) actually becoming a time traveller from the future. I came close last year when I was handed a time machine on a plate but at a crucial moment, I slipped and made sh!te of it. Will never get another chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

duffman13 wrote: »
    Is your mate an ex goalkeeper and possibly the most fanatical United fan in the world? I heard this myself today and seen the pics aswell

Haha yeah. He'd 'Kill' to have met him irl.

"GGMU" :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I don't think we need too many signings to make us a better team. We have good enough team but a good LB and CM or 2 would take us to the next level.
    De Gea(23)

Rafael (23) Smalling(24)/Jones(22) Evans(26) LB (Shaw 18)

Fellaini(26) New CM

Januzaj(19) Rooney(28) Mata(26)

RVP(30)

With Kagawa, Nani, Carrick, Welbeck, Keane on bench. Average age of those 10 players is 24 years and that's a fantastic core to build the team.

De Gea is world class.

There are question marks over Rafael. Personally I'd sign Seamus Coleman (rather than WWE's Sheamus).

Two of Smalling/Evans/Jones is not a good enough pairing...a top centre half is needed.

Fellaini is a joke and I can't believe that you have him in your side. Pound for pound the worst signing in the history of the club. Deserves his own page in the Ralph Milne William Prunier Bebe book of Man Utd dross.

I'll get shot for this but Januzaj is overrated - Not a first teamer in my view. Time will tell but his lack of pace might be key.

Mata was a complete panic buy and it remains to be seen whether he'll be a success. He wasn't needed as we have Kagawa and Rooney and Mourinho didn't fancy him which makes me worry.

We need at least four first team players (a left back, a centre half and two midfielders) and arguably we also need a right back and a winger.

Desperate times.

Who's to blame?

Sir Alex Ferguson for his neglect of our midfield post Hargreaves and Fletcher getting injured / sick respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

You don't see the difference in difficulty level between the two?

No transfers are transfers, Pool have signed a 1st teamer and are going for another 1st teamer off Southampton, just because they want them as squad players doesn't mean Southampton want to lose them. I honestly don't see a difference in transfers.

Woodward: "We want Kroos for the 1st team how does a bid of 30 million sound?"

Bayern: "Nein"

Woodward: "Ok How about 30 million and have him as a squad player"

Bayern: "Ja das ist sehr gut Hehr Woodward"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

beno619 wrote: »

8 of the 2011 CL final starting 11 were still at club in May.

And 2 of those replacements now are better then what was there then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

De Gea is world class.

There are question marks over Rafael. Personally I'd sign Seamus Coleman (rather than WWE's Sheamus).

Two of Smalling/Evans/Jones is not a good enough pairing...a top centre half is needed.

Fellaini is a joke and I can't believe that you have him in your side. Pound for pound the worst signing in the history of the club. Deserves his own page in the Ralph Milne William Prunier Bebe book of Man Utd dross.

I'll get shot for this but Januzaj is overrated - Not a first teamer in my view. Time will tell but his lack of pace might be key.

Mata was a complete panic buy and it remains to be seen whether he'll be a success. He wasn't needed as we have Kagawa and Rooney and Mourinho didn't fancy him which makes me worry.

We need at least four first team players (a left back, a centre half and two midfielders) and arguably we also need a right back and a winger.

Desperate times.

Who's to blame?

Sir Alex Ferguson for his neglect of our midfield post Hargreaves and Fletcher getting injured / sick respectively.

I'd agree with your analysis of the defence. I would not agree with you on Januzaj and Mata.

And you're overreacting on Fellaini. The guy had an injury riddled season, often played carrying an injury or two, often played with Carrick and they were trying to play the same position, everyone around him was playing sh*te, and it was his first season at a club where there was major unrest in the dressing room.
    You couldn't really get a worse scenario than that. Let's see how he does under Van Gaal. Give him a proper season before he's classed as our worst ever signing..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No transfers are transfers, Pool have signed a 1st teamer and are going for another 1st teamer off Southampton, just because they want them as squad players doesn't mean Southampton want to lose them. I honestly don't see a difference in transfers.

Woodward: "We want Kroos for the 1st team how does a bid of 30 million sound?"

Bayern: "Nein"

Woodward: "Ok How about 30 million and have him as a squad player"

Bayern: "Ja das ist sehr gut Hehr Woodward"

Ah yes, a witty example which illustrates the point I was making perfectly :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying Southampton let him go cause he'd only be a squad player for Pool, and you know that, so your Kroos example is deliberately trying to mispaint the point I was making.

Liverpool needed a third-string striker who will be happy to sit on the bench for most of the season. Realistically, Lambert, at 32, shouldn't be the main striker for Southampton either, so 4m for them was a solid bit of business. And as a mad Liverpool fan, it was obvious that Lambert is quite happy to sit on the bench for Liverpool and end his career there. Not saying it's not a solid piece of business for them either; more than that sort of singing is not what we need at all.

We need a young, long term, first team signing, and the cries from the fans is for it to be a superstar player who will fix all our problems or be labeled a flop. We need to go after the sort of player that other teams won't want to get rid of for any amount of cash, and thus will need to be utterly convinced that it's a good idea for them to be let go.

I'm sure if we were after a 32 year old from a midtable team to play third fiddle to Rooney and RVP, we'd have no problems and would have a queue of people to choose from. But what we need is obviously going to take a bit more time to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

De Gea is world class.

Desperate times.

Who's to blame?

De Gea top 3 goalies in the world

Januzaj is 19 and he class, his "debut" for Belgium did not phase him one bit

Mata is world class. just because mourinho "didn't fancy him".... he also didn't fancy modric at Madrid... champions league winner now and one of madrids best players

8 of the 2011 CL final starting 11 were still at club in May.

And 2 of those replacements now are better then what was there then.

I would still argue that our requirements have changed since 2011.

Ah yes, a witty example which illustrates the point I was making perfectly :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying Southampton let him go cause he'd only be a squad player for Pool, and you know that, so your Kroos example is deliberately trying to mispaint the point I was making.

Liverpool needed a third-string striker who will be happy to sit on the bench for most of the season. Realistically, Lambert, at 32, shouldn't be the main striker for Southampton either, so 4m for them was a solid bit of business. And as a mad Liverpool fan, it was obvious that Lambert is quite happy to sit on the bench for Liverpool and end his career there. Not saying it's not a solid piece of business for them either; more than that sort of singing is not what we need at all.

We need a young, long term, first team signing, and the cries from the fans is for it to be a superstar player who will fix all our problems or be labeled a flop. We need to go after the sort of player that other teams won't want to get rid of for any amount of cash, and thus will need to be utterly convinced that it's a good idea for them to be let go.

I'm sure if we were after a 32 year old from a midtable team to play third fiddle to Rooney and RVP, we'd have no problems and would have a queue of people to choose from. But what we need is obviously going to take a bit more time to sort out.

Lallana is club captain though and a England International, obviously Kroos is the better player but Lallana is valued more by Southampton then Kroos is by Bayern, so whats the difference then? My point is pool regardless of 1st teamer or squad player have made offers for Lambert, Lallana, Can and Moreno, Chelsea have nearly signed Costa and possibly Fabregas while we still sit around and do nothing. Transfers are transfers whether is a oul lad or a young Ronaldo its still the same process.

• Advertisement

Lallana is club captain though and a England International, obviously Kroos is the better player but Lallana is valued more by Southampton then Kroos is by Bayern, so whats the difference then? My point is pool regardless of 1st teamer or squad player have made offers for Lambert, Lallana, Can and Moreno, Chelsea have nearly signed Costa and possibly Fabregas while we still sit around and do nothing. Transfers are transfers whether is a oul lad or a young Ronaldo its still the same process.

Out of interest, when was the last time you checked up on the Lallana story? By all accounts, the deal has stalled with Pool about to walk away. Hardly the shining example of an easy transfer for Pool....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

bangkok wrote: »
    Mata is world class. just because mourinho "didn't fancy him".... he also didn't fancy modric at Madrid... champions league winner now and one of madrids best players

I wouldn't agree that Mourinho didn't fancy Modric. He took a few months to settle at the club, but played plenty of games and had a very good second half of season under Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Valencia has come out and apologised to him team mates after getting sent off last night.

http://www.teamtalk.com/manchester-united/9338426/Ecuador-s-Antonio-Valencia-sorry-for-red-card-against-England-in-World-Cup-warm-up
    I apologised to the team after the match and the coach.

I am sorry for the fight with Sterling. When he tackled me I thought about Segundo Castillo.

He nearly missed the World Cup because of injury and I feared I would too but thankfully I am OK.

I can understand his reaction, but it was OTT. It was a nasty tackle to be making in a friendly game a week before the World Cup. Watched it on ITV and the commentators were saying that it wasn't a red, but Hoddle said after that it was a definite red.

Out of interest, when was the last time you checked up on the Lallana story? By all accounts, the deal has stalled with Pool about to walk away. Hardly the shining example of an easy transfer for Pool....

Regardless of easy transfer or not they have bid for him early on, before him possibly going on to do well at the WC, you seem to miss my point that we are waiting while them and Chelsea are doing business, your reason ah its Southampton I'm sure if we wanted a player off them we would get him easily.....Shaw says hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Pique playing the troll in his spanish news conference - whispering the deal is done for fabregas lol

Regardless of easy transfer or not they have bid for him early on, before him possibly going on to do well at the WC, you seem to miss my point that we are waiting while them and Chelsea are doing business, your reason ah its Southampton I'm sure if we wanted a player off them we would get him easily.....Shaw says hello.

Wait, so what you want is an early bid? Cause we bid for Shaw supposedly as soon as the league ended while we were still at their stadium. We were first out the blocks on that point.

And again, that's not my reasoning at all. Where did I say "If we wanted a player off then we would get them easily". Thats not my point at all and it's like you are deliberately trying to misrepresent what I'm saying; if we wanted him and Southampton wanted rid of him, we'd have him. But obviously Southampton don't want rid; they know Lambert's value wasn't going to increase, they knew 4m was a great price for him so they sold him. They know Shaw and Lallana are their biggest chips on the table and thus are standing firm on them, despite bids from us and Liverpool.

Pool seem as close to Lallana as we are to Shaw tbh.

I'll be honest, I'd rather we "drag our heels" and get what we need than be aiming for the level of Lambert and Lallana.

I also think if all we were after was a 3rd string striker and the Southampton captain, we'd likely be flying with our business as well...

Seemed like you thought it was easier last night, but not today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

beno619 wrote: »
    I would still argue that our requirements have changed since 2011.

Of course it has cause we are in **** creek now and did FA when we should have.

Seemed like you thought it was easier last night, but not today?

It would be easier if that was our level of aspiration, but not saying it would be easy. Regardless, that doesn't actually disprove anything; Liverpool are still no further on with their Lallana bid because I said last night it would be easier to sign Lallana than it would be Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Only just spotted I got Brazil in the sweeps. Happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

And you're overreacting on Fellaini. The guy had an injury riddled season, often played carrying an injury or two,

I hope this doesn't become the accepted truth about Felliani's season because its not really true. It was not an injury riddled season, he had an injury, he was out for while, it happens to everybody and it wasn't the reason for him being so bloody useless every time he was on the field.

It would be easier if that was our level of aspiration, but not saying it would be easy. Regardless, that doesn't actually disprove anything; Liverpool are still no further on with their Lallana bid because I said last night it would be easier to sign Lallana than it would be Shaw.

Can you quote your post where you said that because I cant see it?

I would find it harder to sign a club captain a player the team is molded around to sign than a 18/19 year old, anyway I think he's off to Spurs so I agree with you that Liverpool are finding it difficult with him BUT at least they are making the attempts, look at last year we diddled with awful bids and amateur negotiations and signed a player for 4 million more than we should have :(

Can you quote your post where you said that because I cant see it?

You already quoted it :confused: It was your last post
    I would find it harder to sign a club captain a player the team is molded around to sign than a 18/19 year old, anyway I think he's off to Spurs so I agree with you that Liverpool are finding it difficult with him BUT at least they are making the attempts, look at last year we diddled with awful bids and amateur negotiations and signed a player for 4 million more than we should have :(

Southampton aren't stupid. They know how much potential Shaw has and how his sale could finance their next years worth of transfers. They know that United are in desperate need of a left back and that Shaw could be that for the next 10 years. They know they can hold us to ransom over him. And I don't see how you can say we aren't making attempts to get him; the constant talk from the press is we put the bid in for him early and we're waiting now on Southampton to sort out their end of things. Meanwhile, we're apparently making headway on Hummels (if Andy Mitten is to be believed) and chances are there's other deals being worked on we don't know about.

I get people are worried about last summer, but the only thing the same now as this time last year is that nothing has been finalized yet. It's like we dumped our girlfriend for not putting out and now we're on our first date with a new girl and cause she's not kissed us before the appetizers, we're freaking out she's going to be the same way.

Last year ended up horrid. That's why I have faith in the club to make sure it doesn't happen again. And I'd rather we get things right than go fast and make a balls of things.

You already quoted it :confused: It was your last post

Southampton aren't stupid. They know how much potential Shaw has and how his sale could finance their next years worth of transfers. They know that United are in desperate need of a left back and that Shaw could be that for the next 10 years. They know they can hold us to ransom over him. And I don't see how you can say we aren't making attempts to get him; the constant talk from the press is we put the bid in for him early and we're waiting now on Southampton to sort out their end of things. Meanwhile, we're apparently making headway on Hummels (if Andy Mitten is to be believed) and chances are there's other deals being worked on we don't know about.

I get people are worried about last summer, but the only thing the same now as this time last year is that nothing has been finalized yet. It's like we dumped our girlfriend for not putting out and now we're on our first date with a new girl and cause she's not kissed us before the appetizers, we're freaking out she's going to be the same way.

Last year ended up horrid. That's why I have faith in the club to make sure it doesn't happen again. And I'd rather we get things right than go fast and make a balls of things.

No mention of Shaw in it :confused:.

I agree with the 2nd part but would be worried with no CL our usual Euro rivals would be preference to a "top top":pac: player so thats why we need to act fast.

I like Mata - Don't get me wrong. He seems very likeable and professional and he's clearly very gifted. I just think that he was a panic buy on the basis that we have relatively limited resources and Kagawa plus Rooney in situ. Given the problems elsewhere in the team, I find it mind boggling that Moyes and Woodward thought it a prudent move to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Chelsea getting Costa and fabregas done?

Fabregas is done? News to me

That would also be a sign of something good at a club would it? Since you place so much faith in what the football writers say, Jose does not want him, so we are to believe that Chelsea will be forcing him on the manager, is that the kind of thing you would like to see United do?

You think if LVG doesnt want a player, yet the club go out and spent over 30million on him and pay him 200k a week he will actually play him anyway? Not a hope. If the manager doesnt want him, he wont be coming, if the player doesnt want to come he wont be coming, look at it this way, if you have to choose between two teams you have no affinity for who can pay you the same money but one has got immediate CL football and will be in with a good shot at winning it, with a proven manager, in a city that you are familiar with, grew up in basically and is far more attractive generally then Manchester, who would you pick?

The Costa deal has been dragging on for months now, not like they decided at the weekend they wanted him, bid and got it done.

I like Mata - Don't get me wrong. He seems very likeable and professional and he's clearly very gifted. I just think that he was a panic buy on the basis that we have relatively limited resources and Kagawa plus Rooney in situ. Given the problems elsewhere in the team, I find it mind boggling that Moyes and Woodward thought it a prudent move to be honest.

Moyes never really fancied Kagawa tbh. I would never turn down Mata too good a player to let slip(which I hope we do with Fabregas this year)

kryogen wrote: »
    Fabregas is done? News to me

Few bits of in the news saying Barca would rather sell to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if mata was available and he signed for Liverpool lets say and we signed nobody I bet you would be cursing man Utd for not signing him though?

• Advertisement

if mata was available and he signed for Liverpool lets say and we signed nobody I bet you would be cursing man Utd for not signing him though?

I.....I.....I actually agree with Bangkok.......

The point there is if we signed nobody.

We need defenders and midfielders...not another number 10. I'd swap Mata for a world class midfielder (Vidal, Fabregas, Toure) in a heartbeat to be honest. That doesn't mean that I don't like Mata. My view is that you identify your side's most pressing need and prioritise it...build the house and then put the furniture in so to speak. The spine of our team has De Gea and RVP who are top class and then a motley crew of prospects, has beens, never beens and never will be's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I hope this doesn't become the accepted truth about Felliani's season because its not really true. It was not an injury riddled season, he had an injury, he was out for while, it happens to everybody and it wasn't the reason for him being so bloody useless every time he was on the field.

He carried an injury into the season, played through it. Then had another injury, this time to his back. He then went for surgery on his wrist, and missed more time through back injury again. Also missed 2 games after sustaining a head injury at Newcastle.
    So not AN injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

If Southampton want to play hard ball over Shaw, then I would have no problem telling them to fcuk off!
    30m (supposed figure) is a lot of money for a full back, never mind a raw 18 year old...
    Plenty more decent young full backs out there that I am sure Van Gaal is aware of ;)
    Midfield is the area we need to prioritise and throw money at...

Too many people panicking over anything and nothing wrt to transfer and non transfer stories imo...

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Haha yeah. He'd 'Kill' to have met him irl.

"GGMU" :D

He would have left Giggsy with a stain if he met him in person!

He carried an injury into the season, played through it. Then had another injury, this time to his back. He then went for surgery on his wrist, and missed more time through back injury again. Also missed 2 games after sustaining a head injury at Newcastle.
    So not AN injury.

Spot on

In fairness I was never for signing Fellaini but you can't judge him just yet. He deserves a season in a dressing room that's not almost poisonous. It will be interesting to see how he performs at the WC. A bit of a chance to prove a point.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Spot on

In fairness I was never for signing Fellaini but you can't judge him just yet. He deserves a season in a dressing room that's not almost poisonous. It will be interesting to see how he performs at the WC. A bit of a chance to prove a point.

My sense is that our view of him was coloured by his success in the Niall Quinn target man role against us a few times.

What I saw last season was a technically poor player who is chronically short of the standard required for a Manchester United player.

Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs.

How things have been allowed to deteriorate since then is shocking.

For a club that should be looking to compete with Real Madrid etc, our culture of "sure let's play Phil Jones in midfield" is incredible.

Not what he is saying at all

Also, sure we bid on Shaw early, before him possibly going on to do well at the WC so all is well right?

kryogen wrote: »
    Not what he is saying at all

Also, sure we bid on Shaw early, before him possibly going on to do well at the WC so all is well right?

My point at the time was he claimed it was easy to sign a player from Southampton hence the Shaw bit, but we moved on from that when he replied saying that's not exactly what he meant.

I.....I.....I actually agree with Bangkok.......

I know! I'm scared too :D

There's a huge difference between bidding and getting the deal done, I think we all expected Shaw to be a United player by now after our apparent bid. I'm still confident it'll go through but the longer it takes more I worry Chelsea could swing it their way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement