Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Maybe I am in the minority then, but I have always thought Shaw was going to go to Chelsea to replace Cole, seems like the perfect move for him. Boyhood fan, big team, they now have a need for a new starting left back for the first time in about 8 years.

If it came down to a choice between us and Chelsea I would be astounded if he choose us.

If Chelsea are not that interested that would be different of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

beno619 wrote: »
    There's a huge difference between bidding and getting the deal done, I think we all expected Shaw to be a United player by now after our apparent bid. I'm still confident it'll go through but the longer it takes more I worry Chelsea could swing it their way.
    kryogen wrote: »
    Maybe I am in the minority then, but I have always thought Shaw was going to go to Chelsea to replace Cole, seems like the perfect move for him. Boyhood fan, big team, they now have a need for a new starting left back for the first time in about 8 years.

If it came down to a choice between us and Chelsea I would be astounded if he choose us.

If Chelsea are not that interested that would be different of course

I thought the Evra deal might have fecked it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just saw my sweepstakes team. Something to look forward too.

nani_ronaldo_1490389c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

My sense is that our view of him was coloured by his success in the Niall Quinn target man role against us a few times.

What I saw last season was a technically poor player who is chronically short of the standard required for a Manchester United player.

Beckham Scholes Keane Giggs.

How things have been allowed to deteriorate since then is shocking.

For a club that should be looking to compete with Real Madrid etc, our culture of "sure let's play Phil Jones in midfield" is incredible.

One of the reason I didn't like him was cause of the fact he made Everton lump the ball up to him due to his physical presence. He has played deeper and been reasonably effective but not to the United standard. I do think he is better than he showed though, he should have been an improvement on what we had available to us which is why I think he will be better next season with a run of games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Came up in the LC exam this morning...anyone with the answers for Question 1 and 2?

MANCHESTER UNITED - ORDINARY LEVEL PAPER 1

Please read all questions carefully. You must answer all parts.

Q.1 (30 marks)
    A team of....
    DDG
    Rafael - Jones - Smalling - Evra
    Fellaini/Clev - Carrick
    Mata - Rooney - Kagawa
    RVP

MANAGED BY LOUIS VAN GAAL

....would finish in _____ place in the league next near.

Q.2 (10 marks)
    If LVG could sign only one player this summer, who would it be? Please explain your answer. Negative marks given for unrealistic targets.

Q.3 (10 points)
    Steven Gerrard is running towards the ball at 3 km/ph. The ball is travelling at 15 km/ph towards the player at an 7 degree angle. Calculate the t........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

BBC have a pretty cool feature on their website where you can select your dream World Cup XI...for the record, mine is:

Yashin
    Alberto
    Beckenbauer
    Moore
    Maldini
    Iniesta
    Charlton
    Zidane
    Maradona
    Pele
    Cruyff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Southampton want to play hard ball over Shaw, then I would have no problem telling them to fcuk off!

I would like Shaw signed but this has to be the approach. Its been weeks now since the transfer was supposedly a done deal, so whatever the reasons if Southampton don't want £30m for an 18 year old then tell them to get lost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No mention of Shaw in it :confused:.

Subtext ffs. I said our lives would be easier if Lambert and Lallana were the height of our ambitions. That obviously implies there is a harder deal we are looking at. I don't think many people ever spell out a point letter for letter. I would have though by implying that those were easier to work on, that there are harder deals and those are the deals we are after.
    I agree with the 2nd part but would be worried with no CL our usual Euro rivals would be preference to a "top top":pac: player so thats why we need to act fast.

We won't be tricking any clubs through speed; acting fast won't make Southampton forget how valuable shaw is. I agree other clubs will be more attractive for other players but speed won't help us; if a player is going to draw attention from multiple clubs, then the selling club won't be tricked into doing business fast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Q.3 (10 points)
    Steven Gerrard is running towards the ball at 3 km/ph. The ball is travelling at 15 km/ph towards the player at an 7 degree angle. Calculate the t........

Is that the joke? :eek: That would barely qualify as shuffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Question 1. 6th.
    Question 2. Strootman. Cause he won' be able to play for a couple of months and our season will be fecked before the guy comes back. Good signing though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Came up in the LC exam this morning...anyone with the answers for Question 1 and 2?

Q.1 (30 marks)
    A team of....
    DDG
    Fellaini/Clev - Carrick
    Mata - Rooney - Kagawa
    RVP

....would finish in __4th___ place in the league next near.

Q.2 (10 marks)
    If LVG could sign only one player this summer, who would it be? Please explain your answer. Negative marks given for unrealistic targets.

William Carvalho, scouted him loads of times and we badly need a CM. Kroos and Fabregas are pipe dreams and I don't they are realistic anymore.

Q.3 (10 points)
    He slipped.

Can't wait to see the results.. :D

Q.1 (30 marks)
    A team of....
    DDG
    Fellaini/Clev - Carrick
    Mata - Rooney - Kagawa
    RVP

....would finish in _____ place in the league next near.

Q.2 (10 marks)

Q.3 (10 points)

1. 4th place.

2. Arturo Vidal. The most complete midfielder out there.

3. Next year will be their year.

Q.1 (30 marks)
    A team of....
    DDG
    Fellaini/Clev - Carrick
    Mata - Rooney - Kagawa
    RVP

....would finish in 4th place in the league next near.

Q.2 (10 marks)
    If LVG could sign only one player this summer, who would it be? Please explain your answer.

Anybody? Yaya Toure, best midfielder in the league over the last couple of seasons, can pass, tackle and chips in with more than his far share of goals. Someone more achievable would be Carvalho who we have gone cool on. He would I believe offer a similar presence to Toure and could eventually develop to be as influential as Yaya. Bit of a risk as he is only 22 but one I would love too see signed.

Q.3 (10 points)

I thought the Evra deal might have fecked it up.

Shouldn't have had any bearing on it really, Evra clearly can't play every game, though with the lack of mid week games this season he may actually improve a little but Shaw should have no problem making the number 1 spot his regardless, if he can't or isn't up for that fight he does not have the mentality for the club anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Q1. 5th

Q2. Realistica signing: Veratti, he's going to superstar.
    Unrealistic: Vidal, at the moment he's the most complete midfielder in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

To be honest I am not panicking like last summer just yet. We only know about the bid for Shaw because Southamption released the info.

The club have yet to confirm the bid officially and this could well mean the deal is a 'done deal' already. I said it last night and I still hold out hope for it to happen, I think the club are trying to pull of a BIG moment and release their business all at once and have people talking about it for the Summer. I am basing this on nothing but hope and the fact that the club are under pressure to produce this Summer after last years fiasco.

Shaw is a potentially big signing in terms of potential but his signing would hardly appease followers who know where the weaknesses in the squad are. It would be greeted with a 'nice one' response, like Mata was (still cant believe he plays for my team). I think the club are trying to pull off a signing or signings that will have us believing again and if so well then by all means I hope they do it.

Just my two cents anyways. However the longer we go without signings the more anxious we will all get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think we all thought Shaw was destined for Chelsea until the United bid was made then we started hearing noises he would prefer United.

I would like Shaw signed but this has to be the approach. Its been weeks now since the transfer was supposedly a done deal, so whatever the reasons if Southampton don't want £30m for an 18 year old then tell them to get lost.

Amen

Subtext ffs. I said our lives would be easier if Lambert and Lallana were the height of our ambitions. That obviously implies there is a harder deal we are looking at. I don't think many people ever spell out a point letter for letter. I would have though by implying that those were easier to work on, that there are harder deals and those are the deals we are after..

Ah ok so mind reading will be the next thing on my list ;):D

• Advertisement

We should bid £60m for Vidal and offer him £300k a week.

Why not?

Aim for the stars and maybe we'll reach the sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bren2001 wrote: »
    Just saw my sweepstakes team. Something to look forward too.

nani_ronaldo_1490389c.jpg

Not too bad myself

Bastian-Schweinsteiger-006.jpg[IMG][/img]

kryogen wrote: »
    Shouldn't have had any bearing on it really, Evra clearly can't play every game, though with the lack of mid week games this season he may actually improve a little but Shaw should have no problem making the number 1 spot his regardless, if he can't or isn't up for that fight he does not have the mentality for the club anyway.

At 18/19 he's prob not thinking like that, maybe we should tweet him :pac: #EvraispastitButtnerisreallyawingerpleasesignforusShawweloveyou

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

We should bid £60m for Vidal and offer him £300k a week.

Why not?

Aim for the stars and maybe we'll reach the sky BT Sports.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

BBC have a pretty cool feature on their website where you can select your dream World Cup XI...for the record, mine is:

Yashin
    Alberto
    Beckenbauer
    Moore
    Maldini
    Iniesta
    Charlton
    Zidane
    Maradona
    Pele
    Cruyff

My team was pretty easy to pick.
    Buffon
    Cafu Cannavaro Maldini R. Carlos
    Xavi Matthaus
    Rivaldo Zidane Iniesta
    Ronaldo

Those are all player I saw playing when I was growing up. No World Cup team is complete without Il Fenômeno IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Yashin

Cafu Beckenbauer Moore Maldini

Charlton Zidane Ronaldo

Pele Ronaldo Maradona

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

glued wrote: »
    My team was pretty easy to pick.
    Buffon
    Cafu Cannavaro Maldini R. Carlos
    Xavi Matthaus
    Rivaldo Zidane Iniesta
    Ronaldo

Those are all player I saw playing when I was growing up. No World Cup team is complete without Il Fenômeno IMO

Good choice. I hate those all time selections with players that people have seen nothing of. Pointless. How can anyone stand over a pick they havent seen?

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Good choice. I hate those all time selections with players that people have seen nothing of. Pointless. How can anyone stand over a pick they havent seen?

I think it's more pointless to name an all time World Cup XI omitting (say) Maradona. If you're too young to have seen him, do some research.

It's pretty easy to form a view about George Best even though very few of us "saw" him...

I think it's more pointless to name an all time World Cup XI omitting (say) Maradona. If you're too young to have seen him, do some research.

It's pretty easy to form a view about George Best even though very few of us "saw" him...

Considering most Irish fans watch their team via TV it's not hard to watch these players on old recordings/youtube whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

No it's not. Watching YouTube footage just shows you the highlights of his career, it rarely shows you the matches where some full back kept him in his pocket. Your own personal world cup XI should always be players your familiar with from watching live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I think it's more pointless to name an all time World Cup XI omitting (say) Maradona. If you're too young to have seen him, do some research

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest. Do you expect people to research every decent player in history before giving their team?
    I've never seen Di Stefano play. It would be stupid for me to put him in my list of the best forwards in history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest. Do you expect people to research every decent player in history before giving their team?
    I've never seen Di Stefano play. It would be stupid for me to put him in my list of the best forwards in history.

Not as stupid as saying Iniesta is better than Pele...

bangkok wrote: »
    Yashin

Cafu Beckenbauer Moore Maldini

Charlton Zidane Ronaldo

Pele Ronaldo Maradona

Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't really deserve a place in there just yet. Have a feeling he may have a special tournament this time. Him and Maldini haven't won it either. It's pretty amazing Maldini never won it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

No messi nominations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

By research, you mean use someone else's opinion. I think it's more pointless to list your all time team with some positions filled because some journalist had them in their all time team. Like say that Yashin dude.

Cannavaro would nearly be the first name on any team I would choose because I have watched him and know how good he was. I could never justify putting Beckenbauer or Moore in instead of him just because someone told me they were better. You can find loads of matches and clips of Pele & Maradona to back up their inclusion along with popular opinion. This isn't the case with most players from the past though, like Moore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Shaw was kinda at fault with the Equador goal last night.. Didnt keep goalside of the scorer for the first.
    30mill.... Hmmmm i wonder!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Can ye take the world cup best 11 to the world cup thread?

RichFTW wrote: »
    By research, you mean use someone else's opinion. I think it's more pointless to list your all time team with some positions filled because some journalist had them in their all time team. Like say that Yashin dude.

Cannavaro would nearly be the first name on any team I would choose because I have watched him and know how good he was. I could never justify putting Beckenbauer or Moore in instead of him just because someone told me they were better. You can find loads of matches and clips of Pele & Maradona to back up their inclusion along with popular opinion. This isn't the case with most players from the past though, like Moore.

Let's agree to disagree...I never saw Pele play but I recognise that pretty much anyone who did see him play says that he was the greatest player of all time. On that basis, he makes my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'd have McGrath in there beside Beckenbauer every day of the week.

He's not championed as much as he should be in this country. Remove everything apart from the pitch...and you had one of the all time great CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Can ye take the world cup best 11 to the world cup thread?

Woah, woah, woah. Where do you think you are, pal? This is the Manchester United Sweepstakes, World Cup Best Ever XI, Transfers, Rumours, Valencia v Welbeck, Nani is ****e, #MoyesOut #IronTulip, Bangkok "In the Know", Twitter Spoofer Superthread 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

So according to some papers today, Sandro is available for £15 million if Napoli want him. If he's available for that little, United should be in the bidding. PL proven, good age, good player, better than what we have. Him and Dembele would've been awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd have McGrath in there beside Beckenbauer every day of the week.

He's not championed as much as he should be in this country. Remove everything apart from the pitch...and you had one of the all time great CBs.

Take off the green sunglasses.

Find me one non-Irish commentator or fan who would have Mcgrath anywhere near that team.

Madness.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    No messi nominations ?

messi is not listed in the 110 players. in fairness he has done nothing at any world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Let's agree to disagree...I never saw Pele play but I recognise that pretty much anyone who did see him play says that he was the greatest player of all time. On that basis, he makes my team.

SAF signed Bebe on the same basis and look how that worked out.

Maradona > Pele without any doubt in my mind.

(Actually to many Brazilians I'm better than Pele. :p)

duffman13 wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo doesn't really deserve a place in there just yet. Have a feeling he may have a special tournament this time. Him and Maldini haven't won it either. It's pretty amazing Maldini never won it really.

but Ronaldo had a class 2006 world cup, prob one of the best players in the tournament and 2010 world cup he was man of the match in all 3 group games

bangkok wrote: »
    messi is not listed in the 110 players. in fairness he has done nothing at any world cup.

Neither has Ronaldo but he's there.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Neither has Ronaldo but he's there.

you serious??

2006 world cup semi final and one of the best players in the tournament, unlucky to lose semi final

2010 world cup won man of the match in all 3 group games including the game against brazil

Weren't man of the matches voted for by the fans in the last world cup?

Anyway I'm not having a go at Ronaldo, but if he's on that list Messi should be too.

Anyway I'm not having a go at Ronaldo, but if he's on that list Messi should be too.

why? its how you performed at a world cup, Ronaldo had 2 great world cups, messi had none. its all to do with international form not what messi has done at barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If it's based on World Cup performance then Messi's exclusion is justified.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    If it's based on World Cup performance then Messi's exclusion is justified.

The last WC they had Messi out wide Maradona wasn't a happy lil legend when he seen that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement