Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am pie wrote: »
    Take off the green sunglasses.

Find me one non-Irish commentator or fan who would have Mcgrath anywhere near that team.

Madness.

Can assure you I don't have any green sunglasses.

You couldn't find a more anti-FAI, anti national team football fan around.

I've got serious beef with Irish football and the FAI. It's definitly not out of any "irish pride".

I'm the same guy who simply won't give Robbie Keane any respect, most probably deserved, but still have my somewhat contraversial opinion of him (not helped with a few personal run ins with him and his wifes side of the family)

bangkok wrote: »
    Yashin

Cafu Beckenbauer Moore Maldini

Charlton Zidane Ronaldo

Pele Ronaldo Maradona

Ah,Bobby Moore,my all time football hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah. Where do you think you are, pal? This is the Manchester United Sweepstakes, World Cup Best Ever XI, Transfers, Rumours, Valencia v Welbeck, Nani is ****e, #MoyesOut #IronTulip, Bangkok "In the Know", Twitter Spoofer Superthread 2014.

But have you a source for this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The last WC they had Messi out wide Maradona wasn't a happy lil legend when he seen that.

Messi was probably still out wide for Barca at the time as well.

Damn so slow on the transfer/gossip front

Was expecting an onslaught from the get go, wonder will things spice up, this gap for the WC to start is killing me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The last WC they had Messi out wide Maradona wasn't a happy lil legend when he seen that.

maradona was their last manager at the world cup!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm the same guy who simply won't give Robbie Keane any respect, most probably deserved, but still have my somewhat contraversial opinion of him (not helped with a few personal run ins with him and his wifes side of the family)

Do tell us more!

Was expecting an onslaught from the get go, wonder will things spice up, this gap for the WC to start is killing me

I've been studying the WC fixtures to try and work out possible knockout matches and top goalscorers all week, we need either a world-class signing or the world cup to start, but neither will happen until next Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Hey fellas, can we get back on topic please? There is a world cup thread that you can continue in.

Righteo...

Would people be happy if we just got Shaw, William Carvalho and Garay this summer?

• Advertisement

Ox out for between 10-21 days.

Cleverly could well be getting a callup from standby.

Just don't get why they play friendlies so close to the kickoff, stupid imo. Although little blessing for Cleverly most likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bangkok wrote: »
    maradona was their last manager at the world cup!!!

So he was, must be thinking of a different ex player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No it's not. Watching YouTube footage just shows you the highlights of his career, it rarely shows you the matches where some full back kept him in his pocket. Your own personal world cup XI should always be players your familiar with from watching live.

Not true. The range of old games available to be watched now on the net is a lot better than you realise.

Just don't get why they play friendlies so close to the kickoff, stupid imo. Although little blessing for Cleverly most likely

Cleverley would be the obvious choice, but England only picked 7 defenders in their 23-man squad, so they could easily just bring in another defender, Stones or Flanagan.

Also, Cleverley has barely played for United towards the end of the season, tbh I wouldn't have him anywhere near the England squad. Might be better for him too if he doesn't get called up as a replacement, no doubt whatever happens England, he'd get the blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Macca07 wrote: »
    Righteo...

Would people be happy if we just got Shaw, William Carvalho and Garay this summer?

Well it sounds like Garay will most likely move to Bayern at this point but who knows. And I'd rather get a more creative centre midfielder, preferably in addition to one like Carvalho as opposed to instead of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Carvalho would be a much better buy than Cesc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Let's agree to disagree...I never saw Pele play but I recognise that pretty much anyone who did see him play says that he was the greatest player of all time. On that basis, he makes my team.

No they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Woah, woah, woah. Where do you think you are, pal? This is the Manchester United Sweepstakes, World Cup Best Ever XI, Transfers, Rumours, Valencia v Welbeck, Nani is ****e, #MoyesOut #IronTulip, Bangkok "In the Know", Twitter Spoofer Superthread 2014.

Looks like I'll have to add "Pele v Maradona" to my little title here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

glued wrote: »
    Carvalho would be a much better buy than Cesc

I really like the look of Carvalho, but he is completely unproven. Fabregas is the exact opposite and £7m cheaper.

Looks like I'll have to add "Pele v Maradona" to my little title here. :rolleyes:

Your only three contributions to the thread over the last 24 hours have been a gif and two complaints about what other people have posted. If you're so unhappy with what other people are posting then talk about something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Around how much would each of the glazers stand to make if the club was sold?

Out of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Out of interest

What is it 6 Glazers left 90% of the club owned and we are valued at 2.8 billion I think....a lot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Out of interest
    What is it 6 Glazers left 90% of the club owned and we are valued at 2.8 billion I think....a lot :pac:

Upwards of ten dollars.

Theoretically, the market value of their shares personally is about 330million a piece (taking the club value to be 2.2billion)

They have a golden calf however, so I doubt they will be looking to sell anytime soon

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I really like the look of Carvalho, but he is completely unproven. Fabregas is the exact opposite and £7m cheaper.

Yeah Fabregas was great in the Premier League but he's not played there for nearly 2 years regularly now and is not in good form at all. Carvalho would be a much better fit for United IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pro. F wrote: »
    Your only three contributions to the thread over the last 24 hours have been a gif and two complaints about what other people have posted. If you're so unhappy with what other people are posting then talk about something.

You leave the GIFs out of this!
    Yeah Fabregas was great in the Premier League but he's not played there for nearly 2 years regularly now and is not in good form at all. Carvalho would be a much better fit for United IMO.

Gimme both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bad enough Jones and Smalling are there, but the inclusion of Cleverley would really show how far England have fallen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Just posting to complain about someone posting about complaining about someone posting about complaining.

Also, so I remain on topic, yay, go United. Boo the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Roma have signed Seydou Keita today, possibly planning for Strootman leaving ?

• Lucas Hood wrote: »

Prefer if it was De Rossi

• TheDoc wrote: »

I have been coming back to the thread on a weekly basis, pointless otherwise unless there's some concrete news. It's killing me also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I have been coming back to the thread on a weekly basis, pointless otherwise unless there's some concrete news. It's killing me also :(

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Ive been saying prayers every night for i dunno how long now that we would sign players we really needed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ive been saying prayers every night for i dunno how long now that we would sign players we really needed :pac:

There's your problem. No god you see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

There's your problem. No god you see.

Lets end that convo there before people start blaming god for our failure in the transfer market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Couldn't be replacing Strootman with Keita. Is he not 34/35?
    Prefer if it was De Rossi

****ing love De Rossi

Keita is an odd signing at this stage, but he could do a job in any team not too long ago. Depends on what they have planned I guess, maybe he is a fail safe in case Strootman isnt ready for the start of the season, in case someone picks up a bad injury in the WC or something.

I doubt he is there to replace anybody though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

And Liverpool sign German Under 21 international midfielder Emre Can for €12m...

Release clause triggered...Bang.

Bayer Leverkeusen said to have been "powerless" once the clause was triggered.

That's how to do business.

Woodward would have bid €9m, then €10m and then Leverkeusen would have refused to do business with United because they don't like being messed around.

Rodgers said to have bid for left back Moreno and midfielder Lallana also.

Depressing stuff for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Depressing stuff for us.

Why? Were we trying to sign those players too?

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    You leave the GIFs out of this!

Gimme both.

Let's be honest we need three midfielders unless he sees Shinji Kagawa playing at the top of a midfield trio.

Strootman and Carvalho would be a very good fit; it's a pity he got injured. Strootman, while perhaps not being even the best Roma midfielder, is exactly the type of player that would thrive in a Premier League side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Let's be honest we need three midfielders unless he sees Shinji Kagawa playing at the top of a midfield trio.

Strootman and Carvalho would be a very good fit; it's a pity he got injured. Strootman, while perhaps not being even the best Roma midfielder, is exactly the type of player that would thrive in a Premier League side.

Its so annoying that we passed up on Strootman last year. The club really needs to take more risks.

And Liverpool sign German Under 21 international midfielder Emre Can for €12m...

Release clause triggered...Bang.

Bayer Leverkeusen said to have been "powerless" once the clause was triggered.

That's how to do business.

Woodward would have bid €9m, then €10m and then Leverkeusen would have refused to do business with United because they don't like being messed around.

Rodgers said to have bid for left back Moreno and midfielder Lallana also.

Depressing stuff for us.

Emre Can is an overrated footballer. He is absolutely dreadful with his feet and hasn't the physicality to play in the Premier League. €12M is robbery for such an average player.

He's overrated because he was a massive star from 13-17. Hasn't filled in any of that potential at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Talk of rakitic to Barca... Wonder if that means they are not going for koke, meaning we might have a shot there.

Talk of rakitic to Barca... Wonder if that means they are not going for koke, meaning we might have a shot there.

It's basically a done deal according to the Spanish media; it's just if it happens before or after the world cup. They also want both Koke and Rakitic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Emre Can is an overrated footballer. He is absolutely dreadful with his feet and hasn't the physicality to play in the Premier League. €12M is robbery for such an average player.

He's overrated because he was a massive star from 13-17. Hasn't filled in any of that potential at all.

Spot on. Seem him numerous times for Bayern, I was shocked anyone would buy him full stop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Why? Were we trying to sign those players too?

It's depressing because (as other have pointed out) our rivals seem to just do their business. Bang...player signed.

It's also depressing to see our rivals improving.

Whereas we seem to just f..k around until the last minute and then overpay for guys like Fellaini, have fake lawyers representing us / not representing us and botch scenarios where guys have release clauses.

It's depressing because (as other have pointed out) our rivals seem to just do their business. Bang...player signed.

Whereas we seem to just f..k around until the last minute and then overpay for guys like Fellaini, have fake lawyers representing us / not representing us and botch scenarios where guys have release clauses.

Yeah that is true if you completely ignore the fact that we signed Mata a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

Headshot wrote: »
    Spot on. Seem him numerous times for Bayern, I was shocked anyone would buy him full stop

Numerous times for Bayern? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DaveSuarez wrote: »
    Numerous times for Bayern? Really?

Bayer

Happy?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement