Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bullvine wrote: »
    Personally, if you use the example of any American that you've met, most will know United over any other team. If they've had no exposure to soccer(ugg) whatsoever they'll still have heard of United..

What about South Americans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

KH25 wrote: »
    3 titles in 15 years isn't really a great stat....

Stats can be sliced and diced:

He has won a league title in Italy, England and France.

4 trophies (Premier League, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey, Ligue 1) in the last few years, including one in every country he has been in during that time. That includes 6 months out of the game, and only taking over mid-way through a season at PSG. A double in his first Premier League season, and runners up in his second.

2 Champions League titles (which is as many as Fergie managed in 26 years). The prospect of a third one this season, as well as another final on top of that.

What makes it more ridiculous is that this comes weeks after beating Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey, and his team beating the current European Champions 5-0 on aggregate to qualify for the Champions League final. Not successful enough? You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

bullvine wrote: »
    Personally, if you use the example of any American that you've met, most will know United over any other team. If they've had no exposure to soccer(ugg) whatsoever they'll still have heard of United..
    The fact that world class players will all want to sign for real Madrid/barca over any clubs is far more important than some American having heard about utd as they are the biggest club in the best marketed league in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

The fact that world class players will all want to sign for real Madrid/barca over any clubs is far more important than some American having heard about utd as they are the biggest club in the best marketed league in the world.

Like yaya Toure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Like yaya Toure?

He didn't choose City over those teams, he was dumped by one of them.

He didn't choose City over those teams, he was dumped by one of them.

Wouldn't say he was dumped. More like he jumped for money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

real madrid are the biggest and will stay that way as long as they are the ****ing soap opera they continue to be. their will do what we want attitude helps this immensely

they are the iconic team of football and will take a leeds like collapse for them to fall off that imo

United would be second in that reagard and Barca third again imo

No shame in it, its really just a load of crap at the end of the day its on the field that counts

He wasn't getting game time, they were happy to get rid of him.

Just seen 1 of my Facebook friends offering free flights to Liverpool this weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Spanish weather or Manchester weather....... We do damn well for a club in a rotten City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

kryogen wrote: »
    What about South Americans?

Good question? I used Americans as they have so little exposure to footie.

No, he was dumped. Pep favoured Busquets and that was that tbh (Even the Barca fans couldnt understand it at first!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I think united are the biggest club n the world for non soccer fans and united fans.
    Most soccer fans that dont support united will say real.
    I dont however know of any backround girlband singers that married a Madrid player and became a global fashion icon.
    Maybe we should be telling kroos wife we can make her the next posh spice if she huffs and puffs till Tony comes.

jane82 wrote: »
    I think united are the biggest club n the world for non soccer fans and united fans.
    Most soccer fans that dont support united will say real.
    I dont however know of any backround girlband singers that married a Madrid player and became a global fashion icon.
    Maybe we should be telling kroos wife we can make her the next posh spice if she huffs and puffs till Tony comes.

Has your account been hacked the last couple of days?!

Has your account been hacked the last couple of days?!

I havnt been sleeping great I think its making me a bit giddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Adnan looks to emulate Ronaldo's work ethic;
    "I watch him a lot and try to do the same things that he does," he explained. "He is a very good player. I always look at him and watch his games as well and try to do what he is doing and remember what he did at Manchester United.

"I have to work hard in the gym like he did because, when he came here, he wasn't strong. But after a year or so he became really strong and could push people away. I'm getting a bit stronger now due to the gym work."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

v3ttel wrote: »
    Stats can be sliced and diced:

He has won a league title in Italy, England and France.

4 trophies (Premier League, FA Cup, Copa Del Rey, Ligue 1) in the last few years, including one in every country he has been in during that time. That includes 6 months out of the game, and only taking over mid-way through a season at PSG. A double in his first Premier League season, and runners up in his second.

2 Champions League titles (which is as many as Fergie managed in 26 years). The prospect of a third one this season, as well as another final on top of that.

What makes it more ridiculous is that this comes weeks after beating Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey, and his team beating the current European Champions 5-0 on aggregate to qualify for the Champions League final. Not successful enough? You couldn't make it up!

I should point out that I have nothing against Ancellotti. I think he's a very good manager and I was shocked when Chelsea sacked him. Using that stat was unfair to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

TheTownie wrote: »
    Adnan looks to emulate Ronaldo's work ethic;

all well and good with work and fitness etc but he really should try and be himself, and stamp his own success.

as an outsider looking in I think half the problem with the relationship between Nani and some Utd supporters is that he was never going to be Ronaldo, or replace him, which irked a few imo.

That would only be a problem for those who thought Nani was or was going to be anything like Ronaldo

Totally different players

That would only be a problem for those who thought Nani was or was going to be anything like Ronaldo

Totally different players

Nani (for me) showed great potential at first, and I think he was bought as someone who could potentially hit the dizzy heights.
    I wouldn't be surprised if some hold that failure against him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Nani (for me) showed great potential at first, and I think he was bought as someone who could potentially hit the dizzy heights.

Id imagine its a standard case of Fickle Football Fans, happens all the time when players are out injured/not playing well, all past good doings seem to be forgotten.

I wanted ancelloti but spent last night looking through van Gaal videos and his record.
    I changed my mind.
    If he can control the Dutch dressing room with all the stereo typical Dutch footballer conflicts hes the man for united.
    Theres also the fact hes been saying for some time now he wants to come do it in England. He doesnt want to come here to phone it in. Success in England is his goal.
    His interview yesterday was also epic.

• Agueroooo wrote: »
    all well and good with work and fitness etc but he really should try and be himself, and stamp his own success.

as an outsider looking in I think half the problem with the relationship between Nani and some Utd supporters is that he was never going to be Ronaldo, or replace him, which irked a few imo.

For once I actually partially agree with you.....:confused:

But in Nani's case he hasn't tried to be himself, to me he has always come across as a Poor Man's Ronaldo. Everything Nani did or still does, Ronaldo done it better even though both players at the time for Man Utd were very similar.

Agueroooo wrote: »

Nani did show great potential, and when given a clear run in the team Nani showed everything he can do, and I believe can still do given the chance. He and Ronaldo are nothing alike in terms of style of player, never have been so anyone thinking that was always going to be in for a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any word on van gaal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Any word on van gaal

Yes. He was announced, but no one thought to mention it in here :P

There's no doubting what nani is capable of. I certainly don't doubt it. But there's more to being a top class player than raw ability. A players attitude is just as important, and I have always doubted his attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Loved the LVG interview clip on Sky Sports. Did anyone notice the reporter that bowed to him? Near the end of the interview, a reporter mispronounced his first name, but then immediately repeated it correctly the second time. He then bowed after saying it, almost as if in apology to the mighty one. You can briefly see it on the right of the TV screen. Want him as manger even more after that, he just exuded 'The boss' in that interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Any word on van gaal

Yes

Spotted yesterday in Holland doing his job of managing the Dutch national team ahead of the upcoming world cup and answering questions from british media hacks about manchester united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think we are all ready for the announcement now

5b6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

****ing hell that is a disturbing anime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There's no doubting what nani is capable of. I certainly don't doubt it. But there's more to being a top class player than raw ability. A players attitude is just as important, and I have always doubted his attitude.

I often wonder where people get these ideas from.

What makes you doubt his attitude?

Do you think Ferguson would have bought a player that's attitude is poor?

An even bigger question, would he have accepted a player with a bad attitude at the club for 5+ years?

In relation to buying Nani, they did look at his character, according to Fergie's book: "All the individual attributes were there, which brings us to the old question, what type of boy is he? Answer: a good one, quiet.......... never caused any problems at Sporting Lisbon. An excellent trainer"

He could quite easily have ripped him a new one (as he did with some many other players), had he seen an issue with his attitude.

Because they drew 1 - 1 last night?

Ah come on!

v3ttel wrote: »
    I often wonder where people get these ideas from.

What makes you doubt his attitude?

Do you think Ferguson would have bought a player that's attitude is poor?

An even bigger question, would he have accepted a player with a bad attitude at the club for 5+ years?

In relation to buying Nani, they did look at his character, according to Fergie's book: "All the individual attributes were there, which brings us to the old question, what type of boy is he? Answer: a good one, quiet.......... never caused any problems at Sporting Lisbon. An excellent trainer"

He could quite easily have ripped him a new one (as he did with some many other players), had he seen an issue with his attitude.

Can't do another nani debate. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can see this gif getting good use in the future.

iby6X0a63V69eF.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Martinez to Arsenal is worrying, it looks like they'll get a top striker as well this summer. I think we'll see a proper title challenge from them next season

Apparently Liverpool have had scouts watching Greizmann as well, I'll be píssed if they get him, he would fit so well into a Van Gaal team and is a realistic alternative to the Reus fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Not sure if this has been posted already but definitely one of my favorites.

851776535_zps522e8d81.gif

• Headshot wrote: »
    ****ing hell that is a disturbing anime

Ehh most of them are anyway :pac:

• zerks wrote: »
    Can see this gif getting good use in the future.

iby6X0a63V69eF.gif

Epicness :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Martinez is a player we should be after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Martinez to Arsenal is worrying, it looks like they'll get a top striker as well this summer. I think we'll see a proper title challenge from them next season

Apparently Liverpool have had scouts watching Greizmann as well, I'll be píssed if they get him, he would fit so well into a Van Gaal team and is a realistic alternative to the Reus fantasy.

If Martinez is available then we should do everything we can to sign him. Brilliant player and IMO the best DM in the world.

Why are so many of bayerns top players supposed to be leaving? Sounds like total BS to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i was pissed when we didnt seem to try for him when he moved to BM ill be really ****ing pissed if he ends up at arsenal

if he is available united should do everything in their power to sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why are so many of bayerns top players supposed to be leaving? Sounds like total BS to me.

Probably because their new manager ballsed up a fine team from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pep has a style of play which alot of those players wont get into. Muller barely plays compared to last season and Kross is not playing his ideal position.

• Advertisement

League Champions, a cup final to come and Champions league semi final.

Not a bad season for a ballsed up team!

He did not make a balls of it this season. Jesus, talk about a knee jerk reaction!

• He did not make a balls of it this season. Jesus, talk about a knee jerk reaction!

He turned Bayern from a team with attacking width and pace into 'team pass extraordinaire' and ended up loosing badly to Madrid the process because of this.

I would consider that 'ballsing it up'.

• rarnes1 wrote: »
    League Champions, a cup final to come and Champions league semi final.

Not a bad season for a ballsed up team!

In the Bundasliga, a cakewalk anyway.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In the Bundasliga, a cakewalk anyway.

ahh here ya cant have it both ways.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement