Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

then you have his way of playing which could be a major point in how the team plays next season put it this this way they cant be any worse then last season,

He will also have the fear factor on the line and that alone should get fella's to pull the finger out and get results.

I wonder if people make too much of this, and of LVG in general. He isn't god and he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Tbf I had great record last season was very proud.

Pretty much in the ball I was.

Anyway I wont be throwing up much if anything.

I hope we get good summer and v confident we will.
    Ah go on, at least a nice daily roundup :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Reus to Barca pretty much dusted does anyone know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You are the one ITK :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I wonder if people make too much of this, and of LVG in general. He isn't god and he can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I'd definitely have to see some evidence to the contrary to believe any of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nothing concrete anywhere and with Rakitic plus koke looking likely as well you would assume a CB is needed more Reus.

Do expect that move to happen but maybe in Summer 15.

dahat wrote: »
    Nothing concrete anywhere and with Rakitic plus koke looking likely as well you would assume a CB is needed more Reus.

Do expect that move to happen but maybe in Summer 15.

Cheers be great buy for Barca

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Mangala story is being reported everywhere it seems.

Seen it in Guardian, Daily Mail, Mirror and Times (James Ducker).

Times saying he would rather go to Chelsea or Utd but LVG prioritising other defensive targets.

Cheers be great buy for Barca

Now you have me curious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »
    Mangala story is being reported everywhere it seems.

Seen it in Guardian, Daily Mail, Mirror and Times (James Ducker).

Times saying he would rather go to Chelsea or Utd but LVG prioritising other defensive targets.

Sounds like briefing fluff from United - big name player wants to sign for us, but we want someone else....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Shaw fee agreed is the whispers on Twitter plus Vidal coming and Hummel's and Schwestaiger (spelling).....though I hope something is happening,anything at this point.

Does anyone really whisper on Twitter tho? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Sounds like briefing fluff from United - big name player wants to sign for us, but we want someone else....

Could be. Smells like its coming from the Mangala camp IMO. Read somewhere the Chelsea had informally express an interest at some stage.

Either way I don't see Utd moving for him.

Now you have me curious...

he is the type of player we could do with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TheTownie wrote: »
    Could be. Smells like its coming from the Mangala camp IMO. Read somewhere the Chelsea had informally express an interest at some stage.

Either way I don't see Utd moving for him.

FWIW, I can see reason for not going for Mangala. Great prospect, but is still a prospect. I can see United going for a young CB as well as an experienced one - but not spending 35million on a younger one. Can see us going for someone like De Vrij at 10million or so instead of Mangala.

he is the type of player we could do with

Indeed we do,his name hasn't even been mentioned so far.

BpZl0mVIUAEJBwp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Welbeck @ 150/1 for top goalscorer in Brazil get on it lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

BpZl0mVIUAEJBwp.jpg

Can see sneijder rumours starting soon :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It must be try if givemesport are saying it. The guy who wrote it posted 6 different transfer articles in 6 hours. It's almost as if he's pulling shíte out of his arse. Especially when in the article you link to, his source is the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Do you really believe GiveMeSport?

Not having a go but those links are absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Going back to glued's post on the last page regarding transfers and about managers wanting to see what they have before the sign anyone - he's spot on. Van Gaal will know what he wants after a couple of weeks with the squad. Just look at the last 2-3 seasons and the rest of the top sides with new coaches how late they did their business.

Rodgers - Joined Liverpool June 1st. First signing July 13th - Fabio Borini.

Pellegrini - Joined Man City June 14. Two transfers made before he arrived and then next signing was on July 19 - Alvaro Negredo.

Mourinho - Joined Chelsea June 5. Schurrle (who was an Abramovic signing) was signed a few days after but no big name after that until late August - Willian and then Etoo.

Villas Boas - Joined Tottenham in July. Signed Paulinho couple days later which would lead you to believe the deal was being done before the manager joined. Other players bought in July. Possible exception to my rule here if you wish.

Transfers will be done this summer, but it's daft that people are losing their **** because of an inept manager (one who believes in scouting a player 3000 times before even thinking of signing them) and a rookie Chief Executive last summer taking the reigns. It's only the start of June. People wanting deals done now on the eve of the WC with a manager that hasn't even met his squad are nuts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

K4t wrote: »

Top scorer in 3 games. Tough ask even for Danny Goals Welbeck.

:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

K4t wrote: »

Any odds for the most off the target shots by a striker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Transfers will be done this summer, but it's daft that people are losing their **** because of an inept manager (one who believes in scouting a player 3000 times before even thinking of signing them) and a rookie Chief Executive last summer taking the reigns. It's only the start of June. People wanting deals done now on the eve of the WC with a manager that hasn't even met his squad are nuts.

That reminds me of Bill on RTE saying that Moyes had scouted 30,000 players over 5,000,000 times. Ah that was some funny shít :pac:

Pro. F wrote: »
    That reminds me of Bill on RTE saying that Moyes had scouted 30,000 players over 5,000,000 times. Ah that was some funny shít :pac:

Couldn't believe it when he said it, the laughter, if I was drinking something at the time I would have spat it straight out!

d669g.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

lordgoat wrote: »
    Top scorer in 3 games. Tough ask even for Danny Goals Welbeck.

:):)
    Headshot wrote: »
    Any odds for the most off the target shots by a striker?

tumblr_ma7smgo4211qaa34so1_400.gif

Welbeck will play a big part in England getting out of their group. Sensational player. Just needs to finish his chances.

• Pro. F wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone watch Life of Ryan last night, jez it was as dull as dishwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'm surprised at how unlikable Paul Scholes has become. Working for Paddy Power doesn't help but all the criticism of former teammates is a bit classless. Bit disappointing that the guy needs to go down this route.

• glued wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how unlikable Paul Scholes has become. Working for Paddy Power doesn't help but all the criticism of former teammates is a bit classless. Bit disappointing that the guy needs to go down this route.
    Rooney had a swing back at him and Ears Linekar this morning;

http://www.independent.ie/sport/wayne-rooney-not-interested-in-criticism-from-gary-lineker-and-paul-scholes-30331647.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

glued wrote: »

Has he said anything new or is this just the Rooney stuff? IMO I didn't see too much wrong with the Rooney stuff. He's not as good as the English media like to make him out to be. When he was younger he really looked like he could be one of the very best but it just never happened. Take into account the smoking, coming back out of shape etc and what Scholes said is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Scholes hit the nail on the head with Rooney as he did with Wilshere. I'd listen to Scholes all day long when the rest of the English media is full of Liverpool old boys with rose tinted glasses and huge chips of their shoulders.

• KH25 wrote: »
    Has he said anything new or is this just the Rooney stuff? IMO I didn't see too much wrong with the Rooney stuff. He's not as good as the English media like to make him out to be. When he was younger he really looked like he could be one of the very best but it just never happened. Take into account the smoking, coming back out of shape etc and what Scholes said is fair.

Scholes must be dismissing that Rooney has often been played out of position, we have seen how many goals he can score when played as an out-and out striker. I still think this is what England should do to get the best out of him, Sturridge and Welbeck could easily line up on the left and right.

beno619 wrote: »
    Scholes hit the nail on the head with Rooney as he did with Wilshere. I'd listen to Scholes all day long when the rest of the English media is full of Liverpool old boys with rose tinted glasses and huge chips of their shoulders.

This is it. The English media love to overhype their national team. They make some players out to be Messi mk.2. I don't think the Liverpool thing really has an effect on this, they all do it regardless of who they played for. At the end of the day England have a decent squad, but not as full of superstars as many would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

KH25 wrote: »

I think Rooney is underrated by a lot of people to be honest. He has 216 goals in 442 appearances for United. That's a 1 in 2 strike rate and he has a heap of assists also.

Factor into account how much he has sacrificed himself for the team over the years playing out of position. His strike rate is fantastic for somebody who has probably only had one full season playing as the main striker.

I think if he was played up front his whole career at United he would be one of the best players in the world. If he had the dedication of Ronaldo he would be one of the best in the world. Still a fantastic striker but he could have been so much better.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Scholes must be dismissing that Rooney has often been played out of position, we have seen how many goals he can score when played as an out-and out striker. I still think this is what England should do to get the best out of him, Sturridge and Welbeck could easily line up on the left and right.

I agree with you. Rooney is a striker and a very good one at that. I've said plenty of times that he needs to be played there. I hate seeing him at 10 or on the wing. Its a waste. But I also believe that he had the potential to be an even better player, he just never reached that level. He can also be very inconsistent. When he has a bad game, he really has a bad game! Im not having a go at him, he's a great player still. I just think he gets overhyped an awful lot and its refreshing to hear someone disagree with that.
    I think Rooney is underrated by a lot of people to be honest. He has 216 goals in 442 appearances for United. That's a 1 in 2 strike rate and he has a heap of assists also.

Factor into account how much he has sacrificed himself for the team over the years playing out of position. His strike rate is fantastic for somebody who has probably only had one full season playing as the main striker.

I think if he was played up front his whole career at United he would be one of the best players in the world. If he had the dedication of Ronaldo he would be one of the best in the world. Still a fantastic striker but he could have been so much better

I agree!

This is it. The English media love to overhype their national team. They make some players out to be Messi mk.2. I don't think the Liverpool thing really has an effect on this, they all do it regardless of who they played for. At the end of the day England have a decent squad, but not as full of superstars as many would have you believe.

I agree with this to an extent, but the criticism of Rooney is what I don't agree with.

(Sorry if topic is straying) - In fairness to Hodgson he stomped on the hyperbole from the English media that is Ross Barkly this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10879500/Roy-Hodgson-tries-to-lower-expectation-of-Ross-Barkley-after-sparkling-England-display.html

I agree with you. Rooney is a striker and a very good one at that. I've said plenty of times that he needs to be played there. I hate seeing him at 10 or on the wing. Its a waste. But I also believe that he had the potential to be an even better player, he just never reached that level. He can also be very inconsistent. When he has a bad game, he really has a bad game! Im not having a go at him, he's a great player still. I just think he gets overhyped an awful lot and its refreshing to hear someone disagree with that.

Normally when he does have a bad game, have a guess what position he's playing in? Typically when he's starved of possession he still has this obsession of dropping deep to get the ball which sometimes is great but sometimes it's not what he should be doing. Would be nice to see him start getting a lazier attitude, be selfish for once and stay forward.

Maybe he needs some coaching from Berba :pac::pac:

And wait for it......

• Advertisement

Normally when he does have a bad game, have a guess what position he's playing in? Typically when he's starved of possession he still has this obsession of dropping deep to get the ball which sometimes is great but sometimes it's not what he should be doing. Would be nice to see him start getting a lazier attitude, be selfish for once and stay forward.

Maybe he needs some coaching from Berba :pac::pac:

And wait for it......

Rooney is a hard worker but it's not the only reason he drops so deep. Our midfield is so poor you have to drop deep to recieve the ball. Our midfielders have no ability going forward and sit to deep. So Rooney drops to deep out of the position he should be in where he will do most damage. Same with Kagawa and Mata who are forced to drop too deep making them far less effective. Just watch Kagawa for Japan he is a genius but United play boring hoofball football which doesn't suit him.

People think we are in bad shape but two very good midfielders supplying Kagawa, Mata and Rooney and we will be in great shape going forward. I presume Van Gaal see's this which is why i trust his judgement if he says he doesn't want a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

massive sense of deja vu already about last summer, but you'd hope that Van Gaal will be a bit less dithering than Moyes and the deals will get done.

my main worry however is that there stilll a massive sense of the "this team were champions" attitude within the club, that multiple posters had on here last summer and they genuinely think that everything will be fine.

one question, am i the only person that has alot of reservations about signing Shaw for £30million? there seems to be a feeling that people dont care about price tag as the bigger it is, the better it makes them feel.

but people saying "sure we have plenty of money, i dont care if we overspend" need a sense check, as we have seen in the past, we tend to have a set amount of money to spend and if a big chunk of it goes on Shaw, it is highely possible other areas wont get looked after properly. Rooney and Rio worked out, but Shaw is a deal that im not fully convinced about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

massive sense of deja vu already about last summer, but you'd hope that Van Gaal will be a bit less dithering than Moyes and the deals will get done.

my main worry however is that there stilll a massive sense of the "this team were champions" attitude within the club, that multiple posters had on here last summer and they genuinely think that everything will be fine.

one question, am i the only person that has alot of reservations about signing Shaw for £30million? there seems to be a feeling that people dont care about price tag as the bigger it is, the better it makes them feel.

but people saying "sure we have plenty of money, i dont care if we overspend" need a sense check, as we have seen in the past, we tend to have a set amount of money to spend and if a big chunk of it goes on Shaw, it is highely possible other areas wont get looked after properly. Rooney and Rio worked out, but Shaw is a deal that im not fully convinced about.
    Tbh i also have reservations re shaw... 30 mill is a huge amount for a young player. Is he really that good? Or are we paying for the hyper media in england pushing his value up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

It's over priced but thats English players for ye, I would def sign him, exciting young player who you could get 10+ years out of.

I would be far more worried if Shaw goes to Chelsea and Evra is first choice next season, which i feel is going to happen.

A new lb is as important as a world class midfielder.

• massive sense of deja vu already about last summer, but you'd hope that Van Gaal will be a bit less dithering than Moyes and the deals will get done.

Nothing got to do with not caring about the price tag. It's inflated for two reasons; he's English & we are not in Europe this coming season and we are in a price war against the likes of Chelsea etc.. There's no point in dilly dallying with half arsed bids.
    The potential is there for Shaw, grab him now while he's young and further his development by playing for one of the biggest clubs.
    One bad game in a international friendly and suddenly he's not worth it by the sounds of a few posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

I agree with this to an extent, but the criticism of Rooney is what I don't agree with.

(Sorry if topic is straying) - In fairness to Hodgson he stomped on the hyperbole from the English media that is Ross Barkly this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10879500/Roy-Hodgson-tries-to-lower-expectation-of-Ross-Barkley-after-sparkling-England-display.html

I think hes the real deal. Its so rare to see central players that run past players these days and I love that type. Takes so many players out of the game. Very hard to defend against. Hes got pace, power, passing the lot.

The most frustrating thing is that surely Moyes knew all this yet signed Fellaini. Had he offered Everton 20 odd mill last summer he could be a Utd. player now. Post WC he could cost 40 plus depending on performances.

• Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would be far more worried if Shaw goes to Chelsea and Evra is first choice next season, which i feel is going to happen.

A new lb is as important as a world class midfielder.

Evra..really? What has he done to justify that he should be first choice in the last two season. He's been a liability countless times last season. Even Vidic called him out on it.

Edi* Apologies I mis-read that post.

• Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I think hes the real deal. Its so rare to see central players that run past players these days and I love that type. Takes so many players out of the game. Very hard to defend against. Hes got pace, power, passing the lot.

The most frustrating thing is that surely Moyes knew all this yet signed Fellaini. Had he offered Everton 20 odd mill last summer he could be a Utd. player now. Post WC he could cost 40 plus depending on performances.

Not doubting his potential either, but English media are destructive and they constantly pile on unwanted pressure on young players shoulders.

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

Last season Barkley was on loan in the Championship where he played 17 games and Fellaini was probably Everton's best player. Offering 20 million but have been stupid and horrible business.

Barkley has had a decent season playing in a position we don't need to sign and has already had two serious injuries. Their is no way i would sign him and their is no way you could suggest we signed him for 20 million last summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement