Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Am i the only one that believes we have 1 or 2 deals done but wont be announced till after he wc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

we might get 1 singing but yes it looks most likely that it will be after WC

just imagine this time next month and still no signings...get good mental image of that:p:p
    Schweinsteiger is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Am i the only one that believes we have 1 or 2 deals done but wont be announced till after he wc

Not going to speak for others, but I certainly don't believe that to be the case. I don't think we have a single deal done. Shaw should get done, but isnt done yet. Don't believe we are close on any other signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Who does that benefit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

irishfeen wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger is it??

or somebody else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

honestly, I reckon if we still had Moyes in charge we'd have made at least one signing, probably two, and be on the track for me. Kroos, Shaw and Carvalho would be my guesses. I think LVG ripping up our transfer work already done has started us over again

I agree with you to an extent but I think Kroos was flirting with us to make Bayern jealous. The Shaw bid is in, apparently, so that would have been the same.

Sure Moyes put the brakes on Strootman last Summer too if we are to believe the papers.

I have become numb to speculation. I'm so happy the World Cup is on next week. It should die down a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Aenaes wrote: »
    Manchester United keen on Schweinsteiger. Well no ****. I'm guessing they're keen on lots of world class players.

Do people actually expect a bid to be made for Schweinsteiger, expect a bid to be accepted and expect Bastian wanting to join?

He would need to leave his native land, leave the dominant team in Germany who will be competing for the Champions League. All to join Manchester United. Yes, a famous club but at the moment are in serious transition, without Champions League next season. They most likely won't win the title next year and probably will be off the pace as serious contenders for the Champions League. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

The club should just raid Barcelona's midfield and Real Madrid's attack while they're at it. Future sorted.

You ever have the feeling you missed the general vibe on something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Not going to speak for others, but I certainly don't believe that to be the case. I don't think we have a single deal done. Shaw should get done, but isnt done yet. Don't believe we are close on any other signings.

We dont know anything and neither do the journos. they just continue to make bs stories as its their job. I just got a good feeling we have some good news coming our way. Sometimes i really feel like im the only optimistic one here

or somebody else
    Intriguing stuff Kew, your obviously a man in the know ;)

irishfeen wrote: »
    Intriguing stuff Kew, your obviously a man in the know ;)

narrowed it down to 10,000

• Advertisement

Haha well at least that! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

We dont know anything and neither do the journos. they just continue to make bs stories as its their job. I just got a good feeling we have some good news coming our way. Sometimes i really feel like im the only optimistic one here

Optimism is very like delusion in this case. :)

I'm sticking with realism this Summer. Have no head space for the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

everytime I say his name its in a Ronnie Whelan voice

Nah, you got to do it like this guy205.jpg

"Get SCHWEIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNSTIEGER, SCHNELL!!!!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Looks like Chelsea will be signing Luis, he's a left back, they won't be after Shaw anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

See Raymond Verheijen (the Dutch fitness coach who branded David Moyes a "dinosaur") has slammed Louis Van Gaal for overtraining RVP?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2649879/Louis-Van-Gaal-slammed-Dutch-fitness-coach-training-Holland-players-Robin-van-Persie-suffers-groin-strain.html

I'm starting to wonder if Raymond had a hundred grand on Bayern Munich at 1/50 fter 89 mins in 1999...doesn't seem to like anything to do with MUFC!

See Raymond Verheijen (the Dutch fitness coach who branded David Moyes a "dinosaur") has slammed Louis Van Gaal for overtraining RVP?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2649879/Louis-Van-Gaal-slammed-Dutch-fitness-coach-training-Holland-players-Robin-van-Persie-suffers-groin-strain.html

I'm starting to wonder if Raymond had a hundred grand on Bayern Munich at 1/50 fter 89 mins in 1999...doesn't seem to like anything to do with MUFC!

i have a feeling it might be RVP missus. she wants him at home I say.

Any interest in the Porto lb at all? Or right back for that matter? Mainly the left back though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    Any interest in the Porto lb at all? Or right back for that matter? Mainly the left back though

was said in one of the fanzines in january that Sando (the lb i think) is a player we were looking at - no idea if that interest is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

You know what uncle Bill mightn't have been too far off the mark with the "39000 players we've watched".

• Advertisement

was said in one of the fanzines in january that Sando (the lb i think) is a player we were looking at - no idea if that interest is maintained.

Heard rumoured interest, a season or two ago I remember, but nothing recently. Haven't been keeping up to date with his development really, or Danilo but both appear to be doing well, he could be at the very least used in the negotiations with Southampton surely, "look if you don't want £30m for an 18 year old that's grand, we will just buy this lad with CL experience for about £12m instead" Of course, as its United, and Porto it would probably be closer to £20m

Edit:Yeah, **** it just buy em both, Sandro and Danilo, Danilo can cover midfield too and right wing if needed sure :)*

*I may or may not have developed man crushes on them while playing FM a couple of years ago

speaking of Zaha I expected big things from that kid. really thought we got a gem. you would forget he was brought in for the season gone.

very disappointed in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Has anyone watched Nick Powell much last season? Does he have it in him to eventually make the step up to united?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no way would we do that, once a deal is done it will be announced especially with the club going all out to flog season tickets and nothing convinces people to renew better than signings..

Van Gaal was announced a few days before the season ticket renewal deadline and i am pretty sure Woodie wants pressure taken off him pretty quickly as it will grow every week.

as i said earlier im pretty sure that the reason no work has been done is because LVG has pulled the plug on the players that the club would have been expecting to be signed.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Has anyone watched Nick Powell much last season? Does he have it in him to eventually make the step up to united?

he was decent for wigan, got 12 goals i think. a season on loan in the PL is his next step i believe, just dont think he is ready for the step up just yet now that we have no European football next season.

8 games in Europa league plus an odd league/cup game here and there would have been ideal for him, but not now as there simply wont be enough game time for him.

himself and Zaha will get one good year on loan i reckon and would be interesting to see if any PL team takes a gamble on Bebe - wonder how we would do at Hull or Palace given his really successful season this year.

this lads timeline is very interesting and gaining alot of attention this evening. he is claiming that Daniel Taylor is his source for all this, alot of this has been reported before (some of course by Taylor) and the part about the obsession by Woodward to sign a marquee player is something we discussed here last week. key points highlighted in bold.

the bit in Orange is the one that really bothers me, i am worried LVG thinks that signing his own players is going to solve our problems, when it wont - the gap to the likes of City and Chelsea could and probably will get even wider if that happens.
    Pilib de Brún @Malachians · 6h
    Utd had deals done for Kroos and Shaw 6 weeks ago. Backed out of Kroos deal on LVG's direction, Shaw deal has stalled but shld go through
    Moyes wanted Fabregas also, had already made moves on him. Woodward desperate for major signing. He wanted Cavani which Moyes called off
    LVG targeting young Dutch players.
    Utd looked at Mangala and Godin, not convinced they're worth the money

EW is desperate for a marquee signing, he had multiple meetings with Cavani, PSG where willing to sell at 55m & EC wanted Utd move badly
    LVG wants no part of EC either, he wants RVP. Both Gill and Ferguson despise Woodward. Utd back to square 1 & nowhere near signing anyone
    What's worrying is the delay over Shaw, Utd briefed 6 weeks ago they had 2 deals done, that was Kroos and Shaw. Now neither are done
    Utd chased Pogba for a year, Moyes didn't like his agent and wanted Vidal instead. Juventus quoted Utd 60m for Pogba.
    For the hilarious trolls, I'm going to assume you can read. The information tweeted was given by Danny Taylor on our football show today.
    The problem with Woodward is he thinks of Utd as a brand and not a football club which is why he wants a marquee signing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

If only some of that is true, we're a f..king shambles

not really, if Vidal is that marquee signing then we are laughing. suggestions from other places say that Hummels is not leaving Dortmund this year which makes it impossible to see who our CB signing will be.

the Dutch center halves up to much?:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I don't get how those quotes lead to people bashing Woodward tbh; by that account, Woodward had Kroos wrapped up, Cavani ready to join, but it was LVG who made the call to tear up the plans and start again. So how does that lead to "OMG, WOODWARD!".

If anything, this "obsession" with buying a marquee signing seems to be exactly what everyone is calling for; to start bringing in genuine world class talent. But apparently Woodward is being slammed for this desire? :confused:

And how is it a shambles? New, better manager in wanting his own targets shocker! Of course sacking Moyes was going to reset a good few transfers. That's part and parcel of replacing the management and his staff.

It strikes me, or at least feels to me, like people want to give out about LVG, because by all acounts, it's him shutting the door on deals for Kroos, Fabregas, Cavani. But so too do they realise doing so before he even officially starts is the height of spoiledness and so instead just vent on Woodward over everything, even when it makes no sense....

"LVG wants his own targets! God Damn it, Woodward!"
    "Woodward wants to bring in top players! God Damn it, Woodward!"
    "It's raining today! God damn it, Woodward!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

this lads timeline is very interesting and gaining alot of attention this evening. he is claiming that Daniel Taylor is his source for all this, alot of this has been reported before (some of course by Taylor) and the part about the obsession by Woodward to sign a marquee player is something we discussed here last week. key points highlighted in bold.

the bit in Orange is the one that really bothers me, i am worried LVG thinks that signing his own players is going to solve our problems, when it wont - the gap to the likes of City and Chelsea could and probably will get even wider if that happens.

Focking hell #Moyesin !!!!

I don't get how those quotes lead to people bashing Woodward tbh; by that account, Woodward had Kroos wrapped up, Cavani ready to join, but it was LVG who made the call to tear up the plans and start again. So how does that lead to "OMG, WOODWARD!".

"

:confused::confused::confused::confused: i dont see anybody bashing woodward over those quotes, do you???

i do see no point however in signing a marquee player for crazy money in a position we already have 2 world class players, in fact apart from a GK, strikers is the last position we need to sign anybody. if we did sign Cavani and nobody else, would you be happy with the likes of Cleverly and Fletcher behind them?

you need to take a step back and be realistic that anybody who is not happy with our transfer approaches have a very simple demand - we need a world class centerback and two world class midfielders as a priority, once we achieve this people will be happy. anything else as a priority is just mindlessness, especially if it takes focus off our problematic areas which it appears to have been the case last summer.
    New, better manager in wanting his own targets shocker! Of course sacking Moyes was going to reset a good few transfers.

so tell me...you are happy to believe the good side of the "claims" ie - Woodward had Cavani and Kroos signed up, so i assume you also believe the part i spoke about - that LVG is turning his nose up at the likes of Kroos in favour of Young Dutch players - would you be happy if we signed 2 or 3 Dutch players and no world class centerbacks or midfielders?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If Van Gaal doesnt want Kroos doesnt want Fabregas then who does he want in midfield ? Strootman ? schweinsteiger ?

What pair would people prefer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I refuse to believe a manager of LVG calibre would turn down Kross

Its just utd propaganda

Headshot wrote: »

Its just utd propaganda

I actually dont understand this myself i mean in fairness who is better that we have a chance of signing? If Van Gaal is not interested in him makes you wonder who he has his eyes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What has happened is Kross turned down utd and utd are just spinning it in their favour. They just dont want to lose face

What has happened is Kross turned down utd and utd are just spinning it in their favour. They just dont want to lose face

I think i would accept the fact he turned us down more then we simply didnt want him!. Not wanting a player like that in your squad is a joke especially when we have the players we do in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Its a good thing it isn't then :)

Its just utd propaganda

English rag talk. Same as the Fabregas and Sneijder stories of years gone by. Guys make their living on rumours

rarnes1 wrote: »
    English rag talk. Same as the Fabregas and Sneijder stories of years gone by. Guys make their living on rumours

And they get away with pulling 9/10 rumours straight out of their ass because one bit of **** sticks to the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

i do see no point however in signing a marquee player for crazy money in a position we already have 2 world class players, in fact apart from a GK, strikers is the last position we need to sign anybody. if we did sign Cavani and nobody else, would you be happy with the likes of Cleverly and Fletcher behind them?

you need to take a step back and be realistic that anybody who is not happy with our transfer approaches have a very simple demand - we need a world class centerback and two world class midfielders as a priority, once we achieve this people will be happy. anything else as a priority is just mindlessness, especially if it takes focus off our problematic areas which it appears to have been the case last summer.

Dan Taylor spoke about Cavani a while ago. He said they were looking at him because it was felt the side needed more dynamism upfront but that he wasn't a priority. I don't see anything wrong with laying the groundwork for a potential future signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I have been someone who believes United are saying we turned down players who have turned us down, BUT, it is very plausible that LVG being the stubborn Iron Tulip that he is, didn't have a good impression of a young Kroos at Bayern so doesn't want him at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

If Utd went ahead and spent £55m or whatever it was on Cavani I think it would have been a stupid waste of money, even if we can afford it. We are well stocked with strikers. I couldnt give a fcuk who utd sign, as long as they are big improvements on what we have. Our midfield is so abysmal that we could improve it by plucking players from the teams around is in the premier league.

THe midfield is our biggest problem by a mile. It has been for years. If LVG manages to address the cm problem which has been neglected for almost 6 years ( bar fellaini) I will be absolutely delighted.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    BUT, it is very plausible that LVG , didn't have a good impression of a young Kroos at Bayern so doesn't want him at United.

this is my take on it also. he is taking a massive gamble if he thinks Strootman will solve our issues, Vidal/Bastian on the other hand would be different story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I will be disappointed if we don't get at least one world class CM in and one better than what we have CM in and clear out some of the dead wood.

We have alot fewer games next season so with a good manager and strengthening in the right areas I think we won't spend as much as people think.

This is also my reason for the Shaw deal stalling, I think if we were in EL we would have players signed, now I think club are thinking Evra and Buttner will be enough for this season with no europe and the bidget is being kept for next year with the aim of being in the CL at it being easier to attract better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I have been someone who believes United are saying we turned down players who have turned us down, BUT, it is very plausible that LVG being the stubborn Iron Tulip that he is, didn't have a good impression of a young Kroos at Bayern so doesn't want him at United.

Young Kroos was unreal though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

lordgoat wrote: »

This is also my reason for the Shaw deal stalling, I think if we were in EL we would have players signed, now I think club are thinking Evra and Buttner will be enough for this season with no europe and the bidget is being kept for next year with the aim of being in the CL at it being easier to attract better players.
    Interesting point but we should always be building a team that can compete with the best in Europe, even if we're not in Europe. That would be an extremely negative and risky attitude by those in charge if the case which I don't think it is. As it is to get back into Europe we'll be competing against at least 4 other excelent teams next season aswell as Everton and Spurs. The Shaw deal will be done eventually after the WC imo it is too important not to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

:confused::confused::confused::confused: i dont see anybody bashing woodward over those quotes, do you???

The quotes themselves are very much Anti-Woodward, when they imply Fergie can't stand him, that he sees United as a business over a club...the point of the quotes is to try and spin the problems into problems with Woodward. I've seen plenty of people attacking him over them on Reddit and Twitter.

1. I don't believe it's one or the other, Cavani or a CM. As I said this morning, these sorts of "A" or "B" questions do nothing, especially when heavily loaded.
    2. The idea seems to be that Cavani was being lined up for Moyes; everything pointed to RVP leaving the club if Moyes had stayed, Welbeck had started making noises about leaving, Hernandez looked on his way out (and still does), so under Moyes, it seems perfectly understandable that we'd have had to go looking for a striker, in which case we most definitely would have needed a top level one.

Ah here, don't be misrepresenting me. I have zero problems with people wanting those things. I want them to. My personal grievance comes from people who want them today.

As I often said, there's no bonus points for speed here. I want the right players brought in and if the club need time to do that, then they should get it. It's the lack of patience that winds me up.
    so tell me...you are happy to believe the good side of the "claims" ie - Woodward had Cavani and Kroos signed up, so i assume you also believe the part i spoke about - that LVG is turning his nose up at the likes of Kroos in favour of Young Dutch players - would you be happy if we signed 2 or 3 Dutch players and no world class centerbacks or midfielders?

Ultimately, I trust LVG. I look at his CV and how he built teams, I read how it's not about the stars but the philosophy being imposed, I believe that you have to (especially 4 weeks after his announcement a few before he starts) believe in his philosophy. You have to believe he has a plan.

He'll have to start implementing the plan fast when he comes in and we'll expect results quickly. Everything points to LVG wanting to win the league and you have to trust him as the manager to do what he thinks it takes to do that. I do think it's another pointless hypothetical; I think we'll get one or two top players before the deadline passes. But you're the very one who has asked people to lower their expectations and now seem to be annoyed some people have.

We often said that Moyes' main problem was no vision, no evidence of a plan. That's what I personally want from LVG; a philosophy, a vision. A long term plan.

Its one thing I am happy to say, which I could never do under Moyes. In Louis Van Gaal I trust. Whether its instant or whether it takes a little bit of time, I have total faith in the man to carry out the job at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If anything, this "obsession" with buying a marquee signing seems to be exactly what everyone is calling for; to start bringing in genuine world class talent. But apparently Woodward is being slammed for this desire? :confused:

And how is it a shambles? New, better manager in wanting his own targets shocker! Of course sacking Moyes was going to reset a good few transfers. That's part and parcel of replacing the management and his staff.

It strikes me, or at least feels to me, like people want to give out about LVG, because by all acounts, it's him shutting the door on deals for Kroos, Fabregas, Cavani. But so too do they realise doing so before he even officially starts is the height of spoiledness and so instead just vent on Woodward over everything, even when it makes no sense....

"LVG wants his own targets! God Damn it, Woodward!"
    "Woodward wants to bring in top players! God Damn it, Woodward!"
    "It's raining today! God damn it, Woodward!"

Great post. There is an element within the fanzines and the press that don't like Woodward becuase he's not allowing the information to trickle down to them. It's as simple as that.

My personal grievance comes from people who want them today.

errm no, people wanted them last summer....and the summer before that. you cant just write off what happened last year.

But you're the very one who has asked people to lower their expectations and now seem to be annoyed some people have.

this is the second time youve posted this and ill repeat the answer i gave you back then - there is a difference between what the club needs and what we should expect them to deliver.

we need at least 4 world class players to close on city and chelsea but the club seems incable of delivering this going on whats happened in the last 12 months added to the fact that time is not on our side with the WC. we all HOPE they deliver, but the likelyhood is they wont.
    glued wrote: »
    don't like Woodward becuase he's not allowing the information to trickle down to them. It's as simple as that.

:confused::confused::confused: there is more information coming from the club since he took over than ever before and alot of this is being apportioned to Woodward.

maybe, just maybe the press, fanzines and other people dont like him because he is not a very likable person? the only place i see people defending him is on here.

• Advertisement

The leaks coming from the club were becoming bigger before Woodward took office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement