Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

On mobile but cant link it, but looks like Rakitic(spelling?) Signed for Barca for 20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

On mobile but cant link it, but looks like Rakitic(spelling?) Signed for Barca for 20 million.

Medical tomorrow by the looks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Heard Andy Mitten speaking a while back about how one of Woodward's things in comparison to Gill/Fergie was increased press briefings about club business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

speaking of Zaha I expected big things from that kid. really thought we got a gem. you would forget he was brought in for the season gone.

very disappointed in him.

Not the only one there Kew, really thought he would see more game time. He did well against us in the Carling cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Heard Andy Mitten speaking a while back about how one of Woodward's things in comparison to Gill/Fergie was increased press briefings about club business.

Certainly. He's had more access than usual I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Woodward gave an interview to Andy Mitten as a result of all the bullsh1t him and his ilk have been spouting in the media about him. Go listen to that interview which I believe is a part of a podcast and then read the sh1te he printed afterwords about Ronaldo coming back to United. It was a hack job and substandard journalism.

The lone gunmen on here want you to believe that Woodward is the second coming of Videla. If anyone has bothered to do any research you'd see that most of the negative comments about Woodward emanates from the fanzine shills which is quite frankly a muppets corner at best. Some of this has embarrassingly slipped into the main stream media too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

It's funny how you can read posts and know who posted them without looking at the poster name......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's funny how you can read posts and know who posted them without looking at the poster name......

I knew you'd say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Van Gaal on Arturo Vidal: "I always wanted to buy Vidal when he was at Bayer Leverkusen, but he went to Juventus."

Time to fix this..

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million

15 plus ad ons of 5 million fffffffffuuuuuuuu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Tbf I had great record last season was very proud.

Pretty much in the ball I was.

Anyway I wont be throwing up much if anything.

I hope we get good summer and v confident we will.

Sorry for dragging this back up, I was meant to ask at the time of posting and got distracted but what exactly were you on the ball about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Van Gaal on Arturo Vidal: "I always wanted to buy Vidal when he was at Bayer Leverkusen, but he went to Juventus."

Time to fix this..

A quote from Van Gaal suggesting that he likes Arturo Vidal...now that's more like it.

Although this is probably how it'll pan out...

Van Gaal: "Get me Vidal for £60m."

Woodward: "Manchester United are pleased to announce Vidal Sassoon as our Official Hair Partner in a deal worth £10m per year for six years."

Rakitic fee apparently €15m, with add ons.....

Incredible. That is how you buy a midfielder lads, less then Phil Jones, less then Ashley Young, less then Valencia, less then Carrick :(

http://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumours-news/2014/6/5/5783910/ivan-rakitic-barcelona-sevilla-transfer

Incredible. That is how you buy a midfielder lads, less then Phil Jones, less then Ashley Young, less then Valencia, less then Carrick :(

http://www.barcablaugranes.com/fc-barcelona-transfer-rumours-news/2014/6/5/5783910/ivan-rakitic-barcelona-sevilla-transfer

United, City, Chelsea etc would have had to pay 25-30m. It's just the way of the world.

We are probably the worst of the big teams for getting transfers done.:(

United, City, Chelsea etc would have had to pay 25-30m. It's just the way of the world.

Those 2 are the reason English teams have to pay more :mad:

Those 2 are the reason English teams have to pay more :mad:

United have to take their share of the blame too in fairness.

United have to take their share of the blame too in fairness.

Yeh but we never paid too far over the odds until Chelsea started throwing the cash around and City made it worse.

In other news Kagawa

http://gfycat.com/RegalPlaintiveJenny

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

errm no, people wanted them last summer....and the summer before that. you cant just write off what happened last year.

By no means am I writing off last summer. It turned out bad.

But don't be changing the goalposts now; we're talking about this window, and LVG, Woodward and the club will be judged on the entire window, not the 4 weeks before it's even opened. Don't be trying to twist my words.
    this is the second time youve posted this and ill repeat the answer i gave you back then - there is a difference between what the club needs and what we should expect them to deliver.

we need at least 4 world class players to close on city and chelsea but the club seems incable of delivering this going on whats happened in the last 12 months added to the fact that time is not on our side with the WC. we all HOPE they deliver, but the likelyhood is they wont.

I agree the club needs the players. I don't agree they have to be massively world class; Shaw would be a major step up for us but wouldn't be "World Class". I'd like WC players but unless we're about to start splashing silly money, that's not happening. However I've never once denied we needed players.

I disagree on the idea that everything has to be done quickly, and I wouldn't be of the opinion that internet users know better than LVG when it comes to signings. I am 100% confident LVG will bring in the players he feels are needed to win the league, even if they aren't the biggest stars or the players we all want. I trust LVG.
    :confused::confused::confused: there is more information coming from the club since he took over than ever before and alot of this is being apportioned to Woodward.

maybe, just maybe the press, fanzines and other people dont like him because he is not a very likable person? the only place i see people defending him is on here.

He could be the biggest ***** on the planet for all I care. He wasn't appointed to be liked by the fans.

As for "more information"....one thing I like so far is we're getting less info this summer since Moyes went and LVG was signed. No fawning over players, no confirmation of bids. Every major link between us and a player is now dismissed. The journalists are blatantly having to resort to making up stories, and we've been linked to 100+ players as a result. The "leaks" have dried up majorly since we appointed LVG, thankfully.

• Advertisement

Probably but not always, we got Kags at a song considering his rep in Europe at the time, not as well known in England of course, like Rakitic I would guess.

I would agree though, Strootman to Roma for €15m but I would bet it would have cost us €20-25m to get it through :) thats what comes of being int he richest league in the world I suppose, but Barca and Real are no wilting flowers when it comes to having their pants pulled down in transfers either to be fair

In my view, we do need to sign world class talent. It's as a result of our deliquent transfer policy over the last few years, the blame for which lies with Sir Alex and Moyes/Woodward.

We have Evans, Smalling and Jones as frontline centre backs, all of whom have excelled when paired with Vidic or Ferdinand but equally all of whom have disappointed when paired with each other. An experienced world class centre half is required.

Midfield absolutely requires AT LEAST one world class signing. Surely there can be no doubt about that?

Last season was about two things - Moyes being completely out of his depth and chickens coming home to roost re our deliquent transfer policy for the last number of years. We all owe him so much, but let's not forget that Fergie is to blame on both fronts.

Moyes was rightly given the chop...now it's time to fix the transfer side of things.

Shaw, Hummels and Vidal please with Strootman and Di Maria thrown in for good measure.

Probably but not always, we got Kags at a song considering his rep in Europe at the time, not as well known in England of course, like Rakitic I would guess.

Wasn't he nearly out of contract though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Im gonna just have faith in LVG. This will most likely be his last big club job. He might even finish his career here. He will want to go down as a big success. So I trust him to buy the right players, instil the right tactics etc.

Woodward worries me. I just have a bad feeling after last summer that he's not cut out for the job at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This obsession with controversy some of you have is not good for you.

Step away from Boards.ie for 2 months, enjoy the World Cup, unfollow and stop reading journalists gossip and give something else your attention for a while.

It will freshen ya all up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Lads whats with the ****ing panicking its early june ffs calm down its embarrassing reading through the panic posts.

Have faith in our fine club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lads whats with the ****ing panicking its early june ffs calm down its embarrassing reading through the panic posts.

Have faith in our fine club.

Hands up if you said that last summer :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A quote from Van Gaal suggesting that he likes Arturo Vidal...now that's more like it.

Although this is probably how it'll pan out...

Van Gaal: "Get me Vidal for £60m."

Woodward: "Manchester United are pleased to announce Vidal Sassoon as our Official Hair Partner in a deal worth £10m per year for six years."

HAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA HAAHASBFJNVX

That joke just doesn't get old does it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its going to be great summer.

Once we pop we wont stop.

LVG name will deilver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Paying 50-60m for Vidal would make me sick. Could get 3 players with the potential to be world class for that. Now people are on the win now buzz it seems but you get nowhere long term with that approach. Test the waters for Verratti I say at 25-30m I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million
    Rakitic
    20 million

No value in the market.

We can knock Reus off list this summer.would have been ideal.

Feel sorry for any player that misses WC

Its going to be great summer.

Once we pop we wont stop.

LVG name will deilver

Anyone else wanna kidnap kew and beat him until he tells us what he knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Anyone else wanna kidnap kew and beat him until he tells us what he knows?

He's trolling us!!!

• Advertisement

Whats wrong about being positive?

I really think even though ideally a signing by now would be ideal that we will have a much better squad come mid August.

I am confident we will see signings and I can wait till after WC.

Ideally signings before season starts would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I really think even though ideally a signing by now would be ideal that we will have a much better squad come mid August.

Im with Kew on this. I just cannot see LVG not bringing in a few signings.

BTW when I say a good summer im talking 1 maybe 2 big names.

I reckon LVG will go orange for potiential and I can see 1 or 2 other signings coming in.

That to anyone should be good summer unless you have unrealistic expectations.

Random news round up.

Italian press saying Juvi have bailed out of the Sanchez deal now, and that United and Barca are discussing a transfer now. 25m being touted. Liverpool and Spurs also interested.

Twitter talk of Sunderland chasing Ashley Young. Would be a massive step down for him...

Daily Star reporting we're interested in De Greizmann but PSG are favored to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing wrong with being positive and there's nothing wrong with being negative either.

People read this window with different opinions so far.
    What I do find tedious is the "you're embarrassing yourself" it's only 4 weeks into the window ffs" "people need to stop panicking" "..throwing your toys out of the pram" comments for those that are seriously concerned about how the window has gone so far.

Last summer showed how badly windows can go and how utterly amateurish Utd can be, sinking to an all time low.

The comments above that you find regularly enough on this thread are pretty condescending and add zero to the thread or discussion.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Last summer showed how badly windows can go and how utterly amateurish Utd can be, sinking to an all time low.

Yes, but the only thing the same as last summer so far is we haven't signed anyone before the window opens.

New manager with higher expectations.
    Lower league position meaning we have to improve.
    Chief Ex wanting desperately to prove himself.

Add to that the fact the World Cup was always, ALWAYS going to cause delays, both in terms of clubs wanting to hold off deals and our new manager not starting for a few more weeks.

To me, this summer is so utterly different to last. Last summer does show how bad it can go, but that doesn't logically follow that all summers hence forth will go horribly wrong if we don't do our deals before the window opens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Random news round up.

Italian press saying Juvi have bailed out of the Sanchez deal now, and that United and Barca are discussing a transfer now. 25m being touted. Liverpool and Spurs also interested.

Twitter talk of Sunderland chasing Ashley Young. Would be a massive step down for him...

Daily Star reporting we're interested in De Greizmann but PSG are favored to get him.

Give him to Sunderland for free! A hefty signing on bonus might persuade him to get out of town.

adox wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with being positive and there's nothing wrong with being negative either.

People read this window with different opinions so far.
    What I do find tedious is the "you're embarrassing yourself" it's only 4 weeks into the window ffs" "people need to stop panicking" "..throwing your toys out of the pram" comments for those that are seriously concerned about how the window has gone so far.

The comments above that you find regularly enough on this thread are pretty condescending and add zero to the thread or discussion.

just to clarify I have not said any of the above and dont have a problem with those negatuve comment.

I would be short sighted if I did as I shared most of those opinions last summer.

But that was a summer under different circumstances and rules.

Why don't we pay Roma (say) a couple of million for an option to buy Strootman at (say) €Xm any time in the next (say) year?

Why don't clubs think creatively like that?

It seems to be either "let's buy this injured guy for mega money" or "let's not buy that guy we want because he's injured"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Why don't we pay Roma (say) a couple of million for an option to buy Strootman at (say) €Xm any time in the next (say) year?

Why don't clubs think creatively like that?

It seems to be either "let's buy this injured guy for mega money" or "let's not buy that guy we want because he's injured"...

Because the selling club would probably say

"What? No."

duffman13 wrote: »
    Give him to Sunderland for free! A hefty signing on bonus might persuade him to get out of town.

"Mr Woodward, we're proposing to offer Mr Young a salary of £12,000 a week. This represents an increase of 20% on his current deal. Our Finance Director rather naively thought that a smudge on your fax was actually an extra zero. How the Board laughed at that one!!! I presume that our offer will be accepted on the basis that it is commensurate with the player's standing in the game?"

So who can we see leaving the club?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes, but the only thing the same as last summer so far is we haven't signed anyone before the window opens.

New manager with higher expectations.
    Lower league position meaning we have to improve.
    Chief Ex wanting desperately to prove himself.

Add to that the fact the World Cup was always, ALWAYS going to cause delays, both in terms of clubs wanting to hold off deals and our new manager not starting for a few more weeks.

To me, this summer is so utterly different to last. Last summer does show how bad it can go, but that doesn't logically follow that all summers hence forth will go horribly wrong if we don't do our deals before the window opens...

I agree with the above.

I can see where the frustration comes from though.

Coming off a **** season, the frustration has to be that its the second year in a row where the clubs work on getting transfer lined up has gone out the window ( :pac: ) as the manager changes seem to change the players the club wants.

All the talk, reliable or not suggests United could have had Strootman, Thiago last summer if they were not hanging about for Moyes to decide on things or Carvalho and maybe (just maybe) even Kroos this summer if they were able to do things early in the summer and really force decisions from players.

For me though I expect Van Gaal to be more decisive about who he wants and moving onto new targets if there are delays in getting things done once he is back from the World Cup. The other positive is he has experience working with established top class players that he may be able to get to United.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Because the selling club would probably say

"What? No."

Why wouldn't they? It would be up to the clubs to agree a fair price for the option. The guy's in rehab at the moment with an ACL injury. Why buy him for £20m now? Going the option route could suit all sides.

EDIT: Maybe UEFA / The FA don't allow it as call options constitute an ability to control from a legal perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Wasn't he nearly out of contract though?

It's also been reported loads of times that he doesn't want to leave Spain. Gianluca DiMarzio says Utd enquired but never made a formal offer which probably means he said no.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement