Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Someone like Sanchez would bring pace and goals from wide positions. That is something United need as much as a cb and two cms.

Sure we have Valencia :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Someone like Sanchez would bring pace and goals from wide positions. That is something United need as much as a cb and two cms.

I don't believe that Sanchez will bring anything if he has to play in front of Carrick and Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jan has been a class apart since coming on for Belgium. Going to be a star at the WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Amazing the sudden criticism of Welbeck's place in the English team. He's played very well tonight and made a great through ball to Sturridge aswell as orchestrating an excellent counter attack which Sturridge really should have scored from. Class player and if anyone should be dropped for Sterling it should be Lallana, not Welbeck.

He's also a better player than Sterling and has proven that at the highest level in the WC qualifiers and in the CL over the last two years. But all that is forgotten as soon an Sterling has a decent season at a club who narrowly missed out on the title. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Headshot wrote: »
    Jan has been a class apart since coming on for Belgium. Going to be a star at the WC

will he start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

will he start?

I doubt he will but he would start for me. He has changed the game each time he has coming on for Belgium, a bright spark on the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Watch Januzaj become an absolute beast under LvG next season. WATCH!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

K4t wrote: »
    Amazing the sudden criticism of Welbeck's place in the English team. He's played very well tonight and made a great through ball to Sturridge aswell as orchestrating an excellent counter attack which Sturridge really should have scored from. Class player and if anyone should be dropped for Sterling it should be Lallana, not Welbeck.

He's also a better player than Sterling and has proven that at the highest level in the WC qualifiers and in the CL over the last two years. But all that is forgotten as soon an Sterling has a decent season at a club who narrowly missed out on the title. :rolleyes:

That's just incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Adnan will be a impact player at WC, 70 mins he will be used to run at tired players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's just incorrect.

Sterling obviously has more potential but Welbeck has performed well at the absolute highest level for a couple of years now, in the inferior team for the most part in those games.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Sterling obviously has more potential but Welbeck has performed well at the absolute highest level for a couple of years now, in the inferior team for the most part in those games.

Given the choice, who would you have in your team? Anyone who says Welbeck is lying.

De Gea comes on to make his Spain debut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/07/manchester-united-paul-pogba-juventus-transfer-60m-old-trafford-louis-van-gaal?CMP=twt_gu
    Manchester United have been quoted £60m if they want to persevere with plans to bring Paul Pogba back to Old Trafford two years after his acrimonious departure on a free transfer....

Taylor would be the reporter I would trust most with regards United stuff. This one seems odd though. United may maintain some interest, but i'd be shocked if we are actually in for him - especially at that kind of price. Would have thought his teammate Vidal would be a far better target, all things considered.

UWS were saying in their summer issue that Pogba was a target (as mentioned in this article) but Moyes didn't like his agent, much like Fergie didn't, and switched his attentions to Vidal.

Would assume everyone on here will say this article is utter BS though, as it says we had been in position to sign Kroos and had an interest in Fabregas til LVG took over - which no one on here believes to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Given the choice, who would you have in your team? Anyone who says Welbeck is lying.

Its not a clear cut a decision as your making out. Welbeck has been one of the best players under Hodgson. He will defo start the first match against Itlaly, where England will more than likely not have the ball for a lot of the match and Welbeck has shown he is a player that does well when his team surrenders possesion, Munich this year and Madrid last year. I'd start Welbeck against Italy, in a match which England cannot afford to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Phil Jones up to his usual clumsy self in the warm up, took Wilshere out of it!

article-2651685-1E8EAC4700000578-597_634x361.jpg

article-2651685-1E8EABD500000578-937_634x340.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It really depends on what way you are setting up your team and who you are playing against.
    It's mad to think that only 9 months ago there were plenty of Liverpool fans happy to dump Sterling. Some people have no patience whatsoever...

It really depends on what way you are setting up your team and who you are playing against.
    It's mad to think that only 9 months ago there were plenty of Liverpool fans happy to dump Sterling. Some people have no patience whatsoever...

They are probably the same idiots who used to boo Lucas and did the same to Insua a few years ago, shouldn't really be taken seriously.

I haven't seen all that much of Welbeck and have no problem admitting so. What I have seen is just a run of the mill striker(with a poor goal scoring record, due to being shafted out on the wing). When I look at Sterling I see the most exciting teenage attacker on the planet, in my opinion obviously. It's a no brainer in my eyes.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/07/manchester-united-paul-pogba-juventus-transfer-60m-old-trafford-louis-van-gaal?CMP=twt_gu

Taylor would be the reporter I would trust most with regards United stuff. This one seems odd though. United may maintain some interest, but i'd be shocked if we are actually in for him - especially at that kind of price. Would have thought his teammate Vidal would be a far better target, all things considered.

UWS were saying in their summer issue that Pogba was a target (as mentioned in this article) but Moyes didn't like his agent, much like Fergie didn't, and switched his attentions to Vidal.

Would assume everyone on here will say this article is utter BS though, as it says we had been in position to sign Kroos and had an interest in Fabregas til LVG took over - which no one on here believes to be the case.

its essentially everything he said in that interview a few days ago which i quoted. this is the part that really makes me sad.
    A deal was effectively in place for Kroos, and United had been in a reasonably strong position to bring Fábregas back to the Premier League. However, the position on those two has drastically changed since Louis van Gaal took the job, with Strootman the top of his own list of targets despite the Dutch midfielder currently recovering from a broken leg. United now say neither Kroos nor Fábregas are no longer in their thinking any longer.

if its true that Strootman is the top of our midfield list at the expense of possibly the best ball playing midfielder in the world, then my faith in LVG will go very quickly. it really makes no sense especially if the deal was already done.

They are probably the same idiots who used to boo Lucas and did the same to Insua a few years ago, shouldn't really be taken seriously.

I haven't seen all that much of Welbeck and have no problem admitting so. What I have seen is just a run of the mill striker(with a poor goal scoring record, due to being shafted out on the wing). When I look at Sterling I see the most exciting teenage attacker on the planet, in my opinion obviously. It's a no brainer in my eyes.

It's a no brainer if you are up against a team that you expect to dominate or at least have good possession against. I'm no big Welbeck fan but he has his uses in big games where you won't be as involved and you need someone to hold it up and make space.
    Different tactics and formations require different skill sets, it's not as easy as saying it's one over the other every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

That is a very poorly written article, Taylor's either been on the beer or he dictated that to an intern.

or maybe we were just never on for Kroos or Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Phil Jones up to his usual clumsy self in the warm up, took Wilshere out of it!

article-2651685-1E8EAC4700000578-597_634x361.jpg

article-2651685-1E8EABD500000578-937_634x340.jpg

He's trying to get Cleverley or Carrick a call-up.

Good guy, Phil.

That is a very poorly written article, Taylor's either been on the beer or he dictated that to an intern.

ya, its just a rehash of something he said on the radio two days ago. would expect its pretty much an intern writing it as you said, but its Taylors own info as such.
    or maybe we were just never on for Kroos or Fabregas.

well we were definately in for both, thats 100% accurate.

whether or not we were close to signing them as Taylor is suggesting, is another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

J. Marston wrote: »
    He's trying to get Cleverley or Carrick a call-up.

Good guy, Phil.

he was just warming wilshere up, fecker spends the majority of his time on the ground in 'agony' every game.

It's a no brainer if you are up against a team that you expect to dominate or at least have good possession against. I'm no big Welbeck fan but he has his uses in big games where you won't be as involved and you need someone to hold it up and make space.
    Different tactics and formations require different skill sets, it's not as easy as saying it's one over the other every day of the week.

I've seen Sterling put in potential motm performances against Man City twice this season, he has proven himself to be an incredibly clever player who knows exactly what to do with the ball. He knows when to pass, when to run with it and the most important thing he added to his game this season was the defensive side. He is excellent tracking back and is deceptively strong for a kid his size.

• Advertisement

ya, its just a rehash of something he said on the radio two days ago. would expect its pretty much an intern writing it as you said, but its Taylors own info as such.

well we were definately in for both, thats 100% accurate.

whether or not we were close to signing them as Taylor is suggesting, is another thing.

we went for Fabregas last season.

I think interest on Kroos was there, he was not interested, so we let it be.

we did not "cool off" like some are spinning it e.g Ducker

Ah no I'm not on about the info, just the writing. I'm just armchair grammar Nazi-ing.

I'd definitely believe it's possible LVG ruled them out, I just think it's unlikely in the case of Kroos. I doubt we've been looking at Fabregas since Moyes left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

People forget the run around Fabregas gave the club last summer, I think the club backed away well before LVG, twice bitten and all that.

I've seen Sterling put in potential motm performances against Man City twice this season, he has proven himself to be an incredibly clever player who knows exactly what to do with the ball. He knows when to pass, when to run with it and the most important thing he added to his game this season was the defensive side. He is excellent tracking back and is deceptively strong for a kid his size.
    Liverpool had as much if not more of the ball against City over the 180 minutes.
    If England were to get Spain in the knockout stages and Welbeck gets the nod over Sterling, it wouldn't be a surprise to me, in fact I'd think it a good call.

Liverpool had as much if not more of the ball against City over the 180 minutes.
    If England were to get Spain in the knockout stages and Welbeck gets the nod over Sterling, it wouldn't be a surprise to me, in fact I'd think it a good call.

I'm expecting England to have a lot of the ball in their 3 games, not expecting them to get out of the group stage though. Sterling should start the 3 games barring an injury.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    People forget the run around Fabregas gave the club last summer, I think the club backed away well before LVG, twice bitten and all that.

the view i would have is that he was unhappy but gave it one more season as they say....now he is willing to move.

i do however always maintain that if we really tested the waters last season with a proper bid for a player of his worth, about €35-€40million, then would would have signed him or at least made Barcelona have a think about it. as it stands, the bids we made were around what we paid for Fellaini and that does not bother comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Ah no I'm not on about the info, just the writing. I'm just armchair grammar Nazi-ing.

The info is bollix too.
    ...with Strootman the top of his own list of targets despite the Dutch midfielder currently recovering from a broken leg.

I would start to doubt other statements made in the article when the journalist can't even get a piece of common knowledge right.

RichFTW wrote: »
    The info is bollix too.

I would start to doubt other statements made in the article when the journalist can't even get a piece of common knowledge right.

I've definitely seen Taylor mention Strootman's ligament damage in other articles so it's either a simple mistake, he's on the sauce or an intern wrote it.

Ross Barkley is another player who could light up the world cup...hindsight is great and all that, but to think we paid over €33m for Fellaini and Barkley was sitting there for probably much less than that, is startling.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I've definitely seen Taylor mention Strootman's ligament damage in other articles so it's either a simple mistake, he's on the sauce or an intern wrote it.

Sauce or intern so I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Ross Barkley is another player who could light up the world cup...hindsight is great and all that, but to think we paid over €33m for Fellaini and Barkley was sitting there for probably much less than that, is startling.

Where would he play if we had signed him? Rooney and Kagawa are both cabable of playing the number 10 role, as too Januzaj if needed.

Barkley is an exceptional talent, but I would have been disappointed if United splashed out £20+ million for a player who is young, unproven at the time and simply not needed at the club.

Bit unfair to be so dismissive of his worth so. The fact is he has been one of Utd's best players this season in a side that struggled to 7th place, scoring 9 goals along the way (the same as Sterling), playing most of his football on the wing too to allow for Van Persie up front. He was also a stand out performer in the CL ties against Munich. Not to mention he has performed very well for England under Hodgson for the last two years. Welbeck is an exceptionally talented player with tremendous technique and great ability to link up play combined with pace and power. His finishing still isn't what it should be but he has improved on this aspect of his game with each season.

Sterling has had a great season and is a great prospect, but to simply say he is a better player than Welbeck and offers more is just plainly false. Welbeck has done far more to deserve his starting place over Sterling and shows it on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

there is a fundamental problem with our approach to transfers in the club, we just seem incapable of getting in top world class players quickly.

I'd leave out the word quickly there. In the past 30 years it's been incredibly rare that we sign top world class players, unless they're young and haven't quite developed into the finished article yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

No he is not. As a winger Welbeck isn't close to Sterling, who had a hell of a lot more than a decent season.

Pro. F wrote: »
    No he is not. As a winger Welbeck isn't close to Sterling, who had a hell of a lot more than a decent season.
    He is a better footballer and that is not even in question.

As a typical winger Sterling is better because that's his position. Welbeck's role on the wing justifies him playing there though. Sterling does have a case for coming in instead of Lallana on the left I will admit.

• Advertisement

He is a better footballer and that is not even in question.

As a typical winger Sterling is better because that's his position. Welbeck's role on the wing justifies him playing there though. Sterling does have a case for coming in instead of Lallana on the left I will admit.

I'm a huge fan of Welbeck. I'm always defending him on here. But there is no way that you can say that he is just a better footballer than Sterling. They're very different to each other, but Sterling is every bit as skilled as Welbeck and more so in the things that matter on the wing.

Since we're talking about the competition for the job on the wing, then the fact that Sterling is a better winger is kind of important. And it's not even close, Sterling is miles better on the wing than Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's actually sad what a massive upgrade Pogba would be over our midfield. Would be worth every pence of £60M.

I know it's dead and buried at this stage but what a massive fcuk up by Ferguson. Pity that we probably haven't a chance of signing him.

I'm a huge fan of Welbeck. I'm always defending him on here. But there is no way that you can say that he is just a better footballer than Sterling. They're very different to each other, but Sterling is every bit as skilled as Welbeck and more so in the things that matter on the wing.

Since we're talking about the competition for the job on the wing, then the fact that Sterling is a better winger is kind of important. And it's not even close, Sterling is miles better on the wing than Welbeck.
    Sterling did exceptionally well in a very good system at Liverpool no doubt. But as individual players I think Welbeck is the superior player and more suited to the role he plays for England than Sterling. Sterling is a better natural wing player but that does not mean he is the better player or that he should be starting ahead of Welbeck. There is however definitely a case for him starting on the right instead of Lalanna who has not impressed as much as was hoped he would. Sturridge, Welbeck and Sterling interchanging and linking up play with Rooney could be very rewarding.

Sterling did exceptionally well in a very good system at Liverpool no doubt. But as individual players I think Welbeck is the superior player and more suited to the role he plays for England than Sterling. Sterling is a better natural wing player but that does not mean he is the better player or that he should be starting ahead of Welbeck. There is however definitely a case for him starting on the right instead of Lalanna who has not impressed as much as was hoped he would. Sturridge, Welbeck and Sterling interchanging and linking up play with Rooney could be very rewarding.

The fact that England are playing shíte as usual severely undermines your idea that Welbeck is fulfilling some esoteric role on the wing for England that Sterling, a better winger, wouldn't be able to.

This always comes up with international football - people trying to justify selections of clearly weaker players based on anything other than how good they are at playing the position.

The fact that England are playing shíte as usual severely undermines your idea that Welbeck is fulfilling some esoteric role on the wing for England that Sterling, a better winger, wouldn't be able to.

This always comes up with international football - people trying to justify selections of clearly weaker players based on anything other than how good they are at playing the position.
    See, I consider Welbeck the better player overall and having earned his place in the starting 11 through his performances. Sterling does not offer more than Welbeck imo that is also obviously the opinion manager.

dahat wrote: »

totally agree here.

this ****ing "cooling off" BS from journalists trying to portray there is a shift in this list of players LVG wants.

Why some of them cant just admit they might be wrong. Nothing wrong with info being incorrect or changing if in good faith, but all most of them are doing is freaking the pessimistic United fans even more.

At least some can admit it and move on.

nothing wrong with a fallen through info being realised, things can change, but trying to make crap up is just annoying.

See, I consider Welbeck the better player overall and having earned his place in the starting 11 through his performances. Sterling does not offer more than Welbeck imo that is also obviously the opinion manager.

You said yourself that Sterling is a "better natural wing player". You admit that Sterling is a better winger, but rather than admit that therefore he should take the job on the wing over Welbeck you are trying to pretend that there is something more important going on in the selection for the role.

Welbeck has earned his place... Welbeck is the better footballer... Welbeck is more suited to the role... Welbeck has more experience - all cryptic waffle because you aren't willing to admit that the best winger should be the one who gets the job on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Hoping this isn't true... (apologies if already posted)

http://www.football-italia.net/50183/milan-man-utd-friendly-series

You said yourself that Sterling is a "better natural wing player". You admit that Sterling is a better winger, but rather than admit that therefore he should take the job on the wing over Welbeck you are trying to pretend that there is something more important going on in the selection for the role.

Welbeck has earned his place... Welbeck is the better footballer... Welbeck is more suited to the role... Welbeck has more experience - all cryptic waffle because you aren't willing to admit that the best winger should be the one who gets the job on the wing.
    And you're failing to acknowledge that the role Welbeck plays is not that of a typical winger. It involves following strict tactical instructions as well as holding up play and linking up with other attacking players which he excels at and has proven time and again for both club and country. Easily the most underrated English player heading into the tournament. Anyone who watches Welbeck play regularly knows that he is a quality footballer and one of the best in the premier league. There's a reason Ferguson favoured him so much and why even in Moyes' utd he was a stand out performer.

Sterling simply has done nothing to make him more suitable for Welbeck's position, which is credit to Welbeck as Sterling is a superb player too.

• Advertisement

And you're failing to acknowledge that the role Welbeck plays is not that of a typical winger. It involves following strict tactical instructions as well as holding up play and linking up with other attacking players which he excels at and has proven time and again for both club and country.

This theory might have some weight to it if England were playing well. They're playing awfully. Whatever tactical instructions Welbeck is carrying out so well it's not resulting in him doing anything remotely special on the pitch for England.
    Easily the most underrated English player heading into the tournament. Anyone who watches Welbeck play regularly knows that he is a quality footballer and one of the best in the premier league. There's a reason Ferguson favoured him so much and why even in Moyes' utd he was a stand out performer.

Sterling simply has done nothing to make him more suitable for Welbeck's position, which is credit to Welbeck as Sterling is a superb player too.

Ah here! I'm a big fan of Welbeck, but you are just being ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement