Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Pro. F wrote: »
    This theory might have some weight to it if England were playing well. They're playing awfully. Whatever tactical instructions Welbeck is carrying out so well it's not resulting in him doing anything remotely special on the pitch for England.
    Yet he has been no worse than any other players, better than most in fact. There's nothing magical that Sterling can offer that Welbeck can't imo.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Ah here! I'm a big fan of Welbeck, but you are just being ridiculous.
    He's in the top 5 players at Utd for me along with DDG, Rooney, Mata and RVP and offered more in all round play than RVP and Mata a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So Wellbeck doesn't do the natural winger or striker job yet hes somehow better than Steling or Sturridge who had amazing seasons cause tactically he knows how to do a job? You're talking some sh1te here and in the world cup thread k4t.

His all round play is better than RVP or Mata, whatever you're smoking I want some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

K4t wrote: »
    Yet he has been no worse than any other players, better than most in fact. There's nothing magical that Sterling can offer that Welbeck can't imo.

He's in the top 5 players at Utd for me along with DDG, Rooney, Mata and RVP and offered more in all round play than RVP and Mata a lot of the time.

Has Welbeck got some info on you that you want kept a secret? He wouldn't be in the top 50 players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

nuxxx wrote: »
    So Wellbeck doesn't do the natural winger or striker job yet hes somehow better than Steling or Sturridge who had amazing seasons cause tactically he knows how to do a job? You're talking some sh1te here and in the world cup thread k4t.

His all round play is better than RVP or Mata, whatever you're smoking I want some

Last season Welbeck was far better than, RVP,RVP Was poisen in terms of his contributions that did not include goals.

He was taking about performance last season not overall ability of the players which I thought was obvious enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Taok wrote: »
    Hoping this isn't true... (apologies if already posted)

http://www.football-italia.net/50183/milan-man-utd-friendly-series

I'd heard months ago that United were going to play midweek friendlies in the Middle East to make up for lost Champions League revenue.

Anything that helps us to compete in the transfer market (and repay the club's debt) is positive in my book once it doesn't materially affect the playing side of things.

The flight from the UK to Dubai or Abu Dhabi is straightforward if you're flying 1st Class (A380 with fully flat bed, showers, etc) and the games themselves should be a joke.

I hope it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Sterlings form for liverpool the last 4 months was outstanding. Welbeck unfirtunately for us had hever showed that level despite having an ok season. Welbeck did play dedent in the big games but can flatter to deceive. Strootman will hopefully arrive this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

wadacrack wrote: »
    Sterlings form for liverpool the last 4 months was outstanding. Welbeck unfirtunately for us had hever showed that level despite having an ok season. Welbeck did play dedent in the big games but can flatter to deceive. Strootman will hopefully arrive this summer

Welbeck played out of position. As a lone striker he did very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'd heard months ago that United were going to play midweek friendlies in the Middle East to make up for lost Champions League revenue.

Anything that helps us to compete in the transfer market (and repay the club's debt) is positive in my book once it doesn't materially affect the playing side of things.

The flight from the UK to Dubai or Abu Dhabi is straightforward if you're flying 1st Class (A380 with fully flat bed, showers, etc) and the games themselves should be a joke.

I hope it is true.

How will this work with PL fixtures?? What I mean, is usually there are fixture changes for teams in Europe but will the PL alter the fixture list to suit friendlies. Also surely the rest between weekend games will be more beneficial than the revenue from a few friendlies during the year. A couple of long flights and the risk of injuries for meaningless friendlies surely negates any financial gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

totally agree here.

this ****ing "cooling off" BS from journalists trying to portray there is a shift in this list of players LVG wants.

Why some of them cant just admit they might be wrong. Nothing wrong with info being incorrect or changing if in good faith, but all most of them are doing is freaking the pessimistic United fans even more.

At least some can admit it and move on.

nothing wrong with a fallen through info being realised, things can change, but trying to make crap up is just annoying.
    Or maybe, it is actually you that is wrong and not a number if the most respected journos. You know, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looks like Valencia has agreed a new 4 year deal to stay at United,I hope LVG can coach him into being a winger again and back to the form he showed a couple of seasons ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Welbeck played out of position. As a lone striker he did very good.

From what I've seen of Welbeck, he has never reached the level Sterling was at since December.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Valencia has agreed a new 4 year deal to stay at United,I hope LVG can coach him into being a winger again and back to the form he showed a couple of seasons ago.

Is that a joke?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

mav79 wrote: »
    How will this work with PL fixtures?? What I mean, is usually there are fixture changes for teams in Europe but will the PL alter the fixture list to suit friendlies. Also surely the rest between weekend games will be more beneficial than the revenue from a few friendlies during the year. A couple of long flights and the risk of injuries for meaningless friendlies surely negates any financial gains.

I'd imagine that we'd schedule the games to suit our Saturday / Sunday games as they arise. Flashpoints like the City and Chelsea games should also be avoided. I don't see it being a big deal to be honest - We're talking about Harlem Globetrotters style kickabouts rather than meaningful friendlies. And a 7 hour flight in First Class on an A380 is a cakewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

If Valencia has signed a 4 year contract he should nearly be converted to a full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

wadacrack wrote: »
    If Valencia has signed a 4 year contract he should nearly be converted to a full back.

He'd make a good winger someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »

3 league goals in two seasons gets you a new contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I know a lot of our players in the past few seasons haven't performed up to their potential such as Valencia but it should be exciting to see if LVG can get the best out of them next season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bit like Evra, no problem if Valencia is a squad player, but he seemed untouchable last year in the squad picks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I hope it is true.

its a f*cking horrible idea and absolutely stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bit like Evra, no problem if Valencia is a squad player, but he seemed untouchable last year in the squad picks :(

He suited Moyes' defensive tactics,plus he was good at getting to the bye line,it didn't seem to matter that he couldn't cross a ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

I hope it is true.

But it does materially affect the playing side of things. That week off before those PL fixtures could make all the difference, like it did for Liverpool this year.

And we'd be flying further than we would for European matches, which in my book makes it a crazy idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The Valencia extension just serves to protect whatever transfer value he has. That and we can't let every player we don't like go. If we were to show every underperformer the door, we'd end up having to spend most of our budget on squad players and there wouldn't be half as much left for the world class players which are the ones that are badly needed. Our squad makeup is fine, we just lack enough first XI top quality in the right areas at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I'd imagine that we'd schedule the games to suit our Saturday / Sunday games as they arise. Flashpoints like the City and Chelsea games should also be avoided. I don't see it being a big deal to be honest - We're talking about Harlem Globetrotters style kickabouts rather than meaningful friendlies. And a 7 hour flight in First Class on an A380 is a cakewalk.

The England v Honduras game last night was a friendly a week before the world cup starts and there were some crazy challenges flying in. It just seems an unnecessary risk to put on players. If United lost a PL game following a friendly in the Middle East there would be uproar from fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

These "leaked" pictures doing the rounds the last few weeks
    All I can say is bleeuuuggghhhhh
    vy9uz7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

These "leaked" pictures doing the rounds the last few weeks
    All I can say is bleeuuuggghhhhh
    vy9uz7.jpg

The collar and button :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

The 06/07 kit was the last nice one we had

72905076_display_image.jpg?1302251201

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

if its true that Strootman is the top of our midfield list at the expense of possibly the best ball playing midfielder in the world, then my faith in LVG will go very quickly. it really makes no sense especially if the deal was already done.

Personally I dont believe any of the bullsh*t that is coming out of the papers or being leaked by the club bar the Shaw deal. We have seen it first hand ourselves with Rooney holding the club to ransom to get better deals for themselves. I think this was always the case with Kroos.

Fair enough Fabergas may be leaving Barca but maybe LVG is targeting two more deeper playing middle of the park players for his system. Maybe he thinks we have enough attack minded players with Rooney, Mata and Kawaga.

Whatever faith shouldnt be lost in the manager before even a ball is kicked. The Damned United taken to a whole new level

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    The 06/07 kit was the last nice one we had

72905076_display_image.jpg?1302251201

07-08 was just brilliant.

07-08home.jpg
    man-utd-nike-07-08-man-utd-away-ronaldo-7-.jpg

Also 08-09 kits were good too, especially the blue one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Prolly been posted somewhere here already but Football Manager 2014 is available until the 12th of June for only €12.50.

Link here.

I downloaded it yesterday and have already wasted about 10 hours of my weekend playing it. The burd isnt too impressed but Im playing as United and we are top of the league as of the 5th of November so she can just deal with it.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Or maybe, it is actually you that is wrong and not a number if the most respected journos. You know, maybe.

So you think we would have signed Fabregas this summer only for LVG?

Prolly been posted somewhere here already but Football Manager 2014 is available until the 12th of June for only €12.50.

Link here.

I downloaded it yesterday and have already wasted about 10 hours of my weekend playing it. The burd isnt too impressed but Im playing as United and we are top of the league as of the 5th of November so she can just deal with it.

:pac:

Legend!!

that is till I wake up late for work some morning and I will blame you;)

So you think we would have signed Fabregas this summer only for LVG?
    i've never said that.

I think we would have signed Kroos if Moyes was still in charge. I think we would have MOVED for Fabregas if LVG hadn't said he didn't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Would UEFA even give a license to MUFC/Milan to play such a set of games on CL game weeks in the Middle East/Far East?
    Seems dubious to me, would have thought it defeats the whole point of Sony/Nissan paying seventy squillion to sponsor the CL if other nonqualified teams can attempt to split the international leisure dollar with a rival 'product' that gameweek.

Would also need Sky/BT to be helpful, BT probably envisage plenty of Saturday morning games for you because you aren't in Europe whilst you could also end up on the previous MNF on Sky during a CL Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Moyes has an article in the Sunday times his 5 players to watch at the world cup are all midfielders yaya, vidal , Kroos , pogba. Moyes seems to really rate Kroos and says a lot of groundwork done with getting him to sign also mentions trying to get pogba. From the article even though it was supposed to be about the world cup it was as much about Moyes saying he knew what the problem was and this is how he would fix it. Interesting article and a good world cup guide anyway.

i've never said that.

I think we would have signed Kroos if Moyes was still in charge. I think we would have MOVED for Fabregas if LVG hadn't said he didn't want him.

For the life of me I could not see Kroos coming to United under Moyes.

As for Fabregas. Some Journos said we were signing him, then changed it LVG is cooling off on him and interested in others. Not a inbetween.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

From the article even though it was supposed to be about the world cup it was as much about Moyes saying he knew what the problem was and this is how he would fix it.

unfortunately for Moyes, it took him far too long to do anything about it, anybody with half a football brain could see for the last 4 years that United needed midfield signings and it should have been his priority to start solving the issue the day he was announced as manager.

had he signed two world class midfielders last july or august and kept his backroom staff, he'd still have his job as i believe it would have been enough to keep us in the top 4.

those two errors, even before a ball were kicked were fatal.

unfortunately for Moyes, it took him far too long to do anything about it, anybody with half a football brain could see for the last 4 years that United needed midfield signings and it should have been his priority to start solving the issue the day he was announced as manager.

had he signed two world class midfielders last july or august and kept his backroom staff, he'd still have his job as i believe it would have been enough to keep us in the top 4.

those two errors, even before a ball were kicked were fatal.

Do you think he put too much effort into trying to get tough targets like Fabregas and possibly Kroos rather then go for a Strootman?

I think he was as obsessed with a Big Name as anyone. Nothing wrong with that, until it gets desperate, and we United badly were

For the life of me I could not see Kroos coming to United under Moyes.

As for Fabregas. Some Journos said we were signing him, then changed it LVG is cooling off on him and interested in others. Not a inbetween.

Frankly, what you can imagine is not really relevant. Just because you couldn't see it, doesn't mean it could not have happened, and doesn't mean the journos reporting it are liars.

Frankly, what you can imagine is not really relevant. Just because you couldn't see it, doesn't mean it could not have happened, and doesn't mean the journos reporting it are liars.

or basically when I put 2 + 2 together I got 5

edit: they aint liars, some just dont want be seen as wrong.

I dont have a problem with wrong info, things can change so quick. You're missing the point.

DDG made his debut for Spain last night.

10362954_772873399399589_2352241924450150660_n.jpg

• Advertisement

anybody with half a football brain could see for the last 4 years that United needed midfield signings .

Totally agree however Fergie was as much to blame as Moyes. I firmly believe if Fergie had stayed anothe season the end result would have been the same as Moyes. Outside the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Robson99 wrote: »
    Totally agree however Fergie was as much to blame as Moyes. I firmly believe if Fergie had stayed anothe season the end result would have been the same as Moyes. Outside the top 4.

Rubbish.

Its the very same team that won the PL before last season and your telling me that you believe they would of ended out side the top 4?

Fergie would of had us in the CL spots without any worry

top 4 would have been achieved, but same crap in Europe would have stayed same

Headshot wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Its the very same team that won the PL before last season and your telling me that you believe they would of ended out side the top 4?

Your opinion. Not mine though. SH*t was going to hit the fan at some stage with the middle of the park players we had. And dont say fergie would have sorted it. He was blind to it since Barca beat us in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ah would ya stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Rubbish.

I honestly think we would have won it or gone very close. City went through a spell where they couldn't pick up an away win for ages, they faltered for a while just before the impressive final few games.
    The top 3 wouldn't have taken anywhere close to as many points off United. The more I think of it the easier I think it would have been, it wasn't a great standard at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Your opinion. Not mine though. SH*t was going to hit the fan at some stage with the middle of the park players we had. And dont say fergie would have sorted it. He was blind to it since Barca beat us in 2009

And yet he still won the league or came close second each year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rubbish.

Wasnt the same team. it had 65m worth of investment extra as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wasnt the same team. it had 65m worth of investment extra as well...

I dont count Fell because Fergie would of had sense not to buy him and Mata came to late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

2010 / 2011 defensive options:

G. Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Smalling, Vidic, Fabio, Rafeal, O'Shea, Evans, De Laet

2014 / 2015 defensive options:

Rafeal, Smalling, Evans, Jones, Keane, Evra, Buttner
    (Varela?)

Appalling when you consider that Evra is a shadow of the player he once was. Rafeal, Evans and Jones are injury prone. Keane has very little premier league experience.
    We'll be in some mess next season if we get two or three defenders injured at the same time (which happens quite often).

2010 / 2011 midfield options:

Anderson, Giggs, Park Ji Sung, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson,

2014 / 2015 midfield options:

Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverly,
    (Anderson?)

*Bangs head against wall*

There is so much work to be done on both defence and central midfield. It's a long-term project really, not something that can be rectified in one transfer window. And considering we're well into the summer, on the eve of the world cup, I can't see us doing much this window.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement