Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

2010 / 2011 defensive options:

G. Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Smalling, Vidic, Fabio, Rafeal, O'Shea, Evans, De Laet

2013 / 2014 defensive options:

Rafeal, Smalling, Evans, Jones, Keane, Evra, Buttner
    (Varela?)

Appalling when you consider that Evra is a shadow of the player he once was. Rafeal, Evans and Jones are injury prone. Keane has very little premier league experience.
    We'll be in some mess next season if we get two or three defenders injured at the same time (which happens quite often).

2010 / 2011 midfield options:

Anderson, Giggs, Park Ji Sung, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson,

2013 / 2014 midfield options:

Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverly,
    (Anderson?)

*Bangs head against wall*

There is so much work to be done on both defence and central midfield. It's a long-term project really, not something that can be rectified in one transfer window. And considering we're well into the summer, on the eve of the world cup, I can't see us doing much this window.

What about 2012-13 midfield and defense option where we had the chance to break record number of points in PL era?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

2010 / 2011 defensive options:

G. Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Brown, Smalling, Vidic, Fabio, Rafeal, O'Shea, Evans, De Laet

2013 / 2014 defensive options:

Rafeal, Smalling, Evans, Jones, Keane, Evra, Buttner
    (Varela?)

Appalling when you consider that Evra is a shadow of the player he once was. Rafeal, Evans and Jones are injury prone. Keane has very little premier league experience.
    We'll be in some mess next season if we get two or three defenders injured at the same time (which happens quite often).

2010 / 2011 midfield options:

Anderson, Giggs, Park Ji Sung, Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson,

2013 / 2014 midfield options:

Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverly,
    (Anderson?)

*Bangs head against wall*

There is so much work to be done on both defence and central midfield. It's a long-term project really, not something that can be rectified in one transfer window. And considering we're well into the summer, on the eve of the world cup, I can't see us doing much this window.

Those aren't the 2013/14 options, you've missed out a few players. And if you meant the 2014/15 options then we still have a transfer window to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    What about 2012-13 midfield and defense option where we had the chance to break record number of points in PL era?

I'm making a point of how our options in those areas have diminished over the last few years. Some of the players from the season you refer to are gone... And despite the success of that year, we played some dreadful football at times and needed RVP to bail us out on many occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Pro. F wrote: »
    Those aren't the 2013/14 options, you've missed out a few players. And if you meant the 2014/15 options then we still have a transfer window to go.

Fixed that, sorry.

Yes, we are in the window. Very little is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Headshot wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Its the very same team that won the PL before last season and your telling me that you believe they would of ended out side the top 4?

Fergie would of had us in the CL spots without any worry

with the same team? top 4 yes, but without worry? dont think so, RVP carried us to the league the year before, along with Carrick having his best ever season with Rio having one of his best. all 3 had minimal impact last season and it showed. you may remember alot of had been predicting a downfall for 2 or 3 years based on the aging first 11 and our poor transfer policy. last season was coming for a good while, but not on the level predicted.

the other side of that is i believe had fergie stayed, we would have signed 3 quality players including perhaps one superstar signing as Mickie Phelan was suggesting was in place, had Fergie stayed.

its all hearsay of course but without midfield signings last summer, i think even with Fergie at the helm, things would have been difficult, but 3rd or 4th, not 7th and pathetic like Moyes had us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

LVG hasn't even met his players and staff yet and you are getting worried when it's only early stages in the transfer market. Yes other clubs are getting deals done but I will remain positive that when LVG is finished WC duty we'll see some signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

It's laughable to think Fergie wouldn't have had us in the top 4. He was gearing up for a huge summer where Rooney was about to be turfed out and shinji presumably becoming a central figure. As far as I'm aware Fabregas rumours begun when Fergie was still in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

with the same team? top 4 yes, but without worry? dont think so, RVP carried us to the league the year before, along with Carrick having his best ever season with Rio having one of his best. all 3 had minimal impact last season and it showed. you may remember alot of had been predicting a downfall for 2 or 3 years based on the aging first 11 and our poor transfer policy. last season was coming for a good while, but not on the level predicted.

I agree not to the level Moyes brought us butwe could easily have been 5th last season under Fergie
    the other side of that is i believe had fergie stayed, we would have signed 3 quality players including perhaps one superstar signing as Mickie Phelan was suggesting was in place, had Fergie stayed.
    3 quality players???? In your own words anyone with half a brain could see we need middle of the park players for a few years. He ignored it and also let b Pogba go. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he would have signed three quality players last summer. Another bebe maybe. Easy for Phelan to come out with that stuff
    its all hearsay of course but without midfield signings last summer, i think even with Fergie at the helm, things would have been difficult, but 3rd or 4th, not 7th and pathetic like Moyes had us.
    Not having a go at you , I never suggested 7th but imo 4th would have been a n excellent achievement based on our first 11

It's laughable to think Fergie wouldn't have had us in the top 4. He was gearing up for a huge summer where Rooney was about to be turfed out and shinji presumably becoming a central figure. As far as I'm aware Fabregas rumours begun when Fergie was still in charge.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    LVG hasn't even met his players and staff yet and you are getting worried when it's only early stages in the transfer market. Yes other clubs are getting deals done but I will remain positive that when LVG is finished WC duty we'll see some signings.

personally i am not one bit worried about no singings yet as its understandable with the WC and new manager. Theres still plenty of time to get deals done and i am 100% sure we will sign players.

i am worried however of stories that an injured player like Strootman may be the number 1 midfield target in our most problematic area. could be bulls*it but theres no smoke without fire and we do live in an era where the media influences debate and opinion and so far, until we sign players nobody can be sure how it will work out.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you , I never suggested 7th but imo 4th would have been a n excellent achievement based on our first 11

We would have made signings under Fergie and even with the same squad we would have finished in the top 4. Like we had for the past 20 years.

Pro. F wrote: »
    And yet he still won the league or came close second each year.

Maybe if LVG is as good as Fergie we wont need any middle of the park players

City, Chelsea and Liverpool were much stronger this year. Even with Fergie we would have been at Spurs and Arsenals level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

City, Chelsea and Liverpool were much stronger this year. Even with Fergie we would have been at Spurs and Arsenals level.

If City was so much stronger, was their points tally massively larger last season in comparison to the previous one?

If City was so much stronger, was their points tally massively larger last season in comparison to the previous one?

IMO City would have won it in a canter if Augeroo had been fit for the full season. Pellegirini, Navasand Ferindinho were big differences to city as well from the previous year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

personally i am not one bit worried about no singings yet as its understandable with the WC and new manager. Theres still plenty of time to get deals done and i am 100% sure we will sign players.

i am worried however of stories that an injured player like Strootman may be the number 1 midfield target in our most problematic area. could be bulls*it but theres no smoke without fire and we do live in an era where the media influences debate and opinion and so far, until we sign players nobody can be sure how it will work out.
    Indeed. I'm also worried about us signing Strootman as well as it screams the Hargreaves saga all over again. If he gets 100% fit and is injury free then I would no problem with signing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IMO City would have won it in a canter if Augeroo had been fit for the full season. Pellegirini, Navasand Ferindinho were big differences to city as well from the previous year

Just answer the question rather than giving me utterly irrelevant information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just to prove that listening to rumours is worthless - the latest rumour is LvG has talked to Kroos and we have submitted a 24 million bid.

So we want him, then we don't, now we do.

And tomorrow we won't again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Moyes had his go and failed miserably. I think the inevitable drop in form after Fergie's retirement has somewhat been camouflaged by Moyes' own failings adding to the drop.
    I think it will take Van Gaal to have his go before some people will actually realise how good Fergie was. And maybe even the following manager.

Just answer the question rather than giving me utterly irrelevant information.

Surely you know the answer to that without asking me. The fact of the matter is they were much stronger than the year before and have won two of the last 3 leagues. Doesnt matter what amount of points you have or win by once you are on top at the end. UNDERSTAND??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Reedsie wrote: »
    I think it will take Van Gaal to have his go before some people will actually realise how good Fergie was.

This kind of thinking annoys me a bit. If he stayed for 3 years and won 3 leagues and a Champions League, would that mean Fergie wasn't that great after all?

It will be a different team with different tactics. A relative nobody could come in and win the league with the right players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Maybe. Or maybe LVG will buy some players and do well in his own way. Or maybe he'll buy some players and not do so well. But on this point:

lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

its a f*cking horrible idea and absolutely stinks.

Ah Homer, that's a tad OTT.

You'd swear that Gary Glitter had been lined up to sing our Cup Final song or the Glazers were proposing to rename Old Trafford The McDonalds' Arena...

This kind of thinking annoys me a bit. If he stayed for 3 years and won 3 leagues and a Champions League, would that mean Fergie wasn't that great after all?
    I don't see that happening but that's a bit beside the point.

Would Van Gaal claim to be better than Fergie after those 3 years? I doubt it.
    Fergie has been consistent his whole career. He brought huge success everywhere he went. Van Gaal has been fired from most of his jobs due to poor positions or disagreements. He's had success too of course, huge success in his early days with Ajax.
    3 years of success at United would no doubt boost Van Gaals reputation further but I don't think it would mean Fergie wasn't that great after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Gundogan not in the best of shape.

BpnR-MICEAAjXog.jpg

TheTownie wrote: »

BpnR-MICEAAjXog.jpg

Woodward still will probably try to sign him this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Reedsie wrote: »
    3 years of success at United would no doubt boost Van Gaals reputation further but I don't think it would mean Fergie wasn't that great after all.

But if van Gaal wasn't to be successful it would show how great Fergie was? It can't just be a one way street.

My point is to judge them individually on what they do and have done at United.

Yeah, it's almost like he was sitting on his arse most of the season due to a bad back injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

GSPfan wrote: »
    Just to prove that listening to rumours is worthless - the latest rumour is LvG has talked to Kroos and we have submitted a 24 million bid.

So we want him, then we don't, now we do.

And tomorrow we won't again.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-bid-24m-then-van-gaal-telephones-player-to-make

To be fair, the above link states that two different Spanish media sources are claiming that United are in for Kroos. One has a Barca slant to it and one has a Real slant to it. One cites a United bid and one cites a Van Gaal / Kroos chat. Both cite United as a potential threat to Kroos moving to Spain.

With no real incentive for either outlet to make up lies about United, I'd be inclined to believe that we are in for Kroos.

But if van Gaal wasn't to be successful it would show how great Fergie was? It can't just be a one way street.

My point is to judge them individually on what they do and have done at United.

I did mention the following manager (after Van Gaal) somewhat for that reason.

But it is only my own opinion and I appreciate that everyone will have their own. I do think that it will take time (and hindsight) before some people recognise Ferguson's success. And I'm pretty sure that Van Gaal will never be recognised as highly as Ferguson.

stankratz wrote: »
    Yeah, it's almost like he was sitting on his arse most of the season due to a bad back injury.

Regardless of that he doesn't look like a player planning on making a full recovery. Does anyone know the latest on his comeback plans ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Woodward still will probably try to sign him this summer.

This Woodward axe that you're grinding is pathetic.

glued wrote: »
    This Woodward axe that you're grinding is pathetic.

no more pathetic than the obsessive defense you've been leading of him for the last 12 months.

beno619 wrote: »
    Regardless of that he doesn't look like a player planning on making a full recovery. Does anyone know the latest on his comeback plans ?

You getting that from the 2 pictures posted on the previous page? He has a bit of a belly on him, surely not the most surprising thing considering the amount of training a player like him participates in when not injured.

Anyway, all I can see regarding his progress from a quick google is the following...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2024667-ilkay-gundogan-injury-updates-on-borussia-dortmund-stars-back-and-return

and a Jan Aage Fjortoft tweet from April 10th...

"Today it's official: Dortmund's Gundogan will NOT be fit for the World Cup! He will do all he can to be ready for the new season."

So, in other words, there's fúck all info out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Surely even with a back injury eating the correct food and a physio looking after you you wouldn't get that big!

You getting that from the 2 pictures posted on the previous page? He has a bit of a belly on him, surely not the most surprising thing considering the amount of training a player like him participates in when not injured.

Anyway, all I can see regarding his progress from a quick google is the following...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2024667-ilkay-gundogan-injury-updates-on-borussia-dortmund-stars-back-and-return

and a Jan Aage Fjortoft tweet from April 10th...

"Today it's official: Dortmund's Gundogan will NOT be fit for the World Cup! He will do all he can to be ready for the new season."

So, in other words, there's fúck all info out there.

to be honest, id be surprised if he ever plays top level football again. the rumours have been there since last Winter that his condition is career ending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Surely even with a back injury eating the correct food and a physio looking after you you wouldn't get that big!
    What do you mean "that big"?? He's hardly the nutty ****ing professor.

He has a belly bulge after a season of non-activity, he's hardly gone into Johnny Vegas territory! Maybe what we are seeing in those photos is the best that could be done considering the effect of his injury on doing things which would burn calories. You could be partaking in the best diet going but if you're not exercising or very active, those calories will still translate to weight gain.

As well as that, we are discounting the psychological effect that such an injury will have on a player. Maybe he did hit the Ben and Jerry's and could have done better with his diet while out injured, we don't know.

I think he is a magnificent player and would like to see him make a full recovery, getting rid of that excess stomach fat will be a piece of piss compared to the other things he will have to overcome to get back to full fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Well lets be honest, there is out of shape and then there is having a lard belly. Plenty of players are out injured for long periods of time and don't get a belly like that, it looks as if he has been hitting the beer regularly.

to be honest, id be surprised if he ever plays top level football again. the rumours have been there since last Winter that his condition is career ending.

I've read plenty of speculation about that too Homer, will be a damned shame if it actually turns out to be the case.

• Advertisement

What do you mean "that big"?? He's hardly the nutty ****ing professor.

Thats a huge belly for a athlete! Could you imagine Roy Keane coming back from his injury looking like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

If I sat around without intense exercise for 12 months I wouldn't get that gut. And this fella is fit. Ripped with a stomach of stone to a flabby gut.

Well lets be honest, there is out of shape and then there is having a lard belly. Plenty of players are out injured for long periods of time and don't get a belly like that, it looks as if he has been hitting the beer regularly.

Depends on the injury, I imagine that a ligament injury wouldn't totally prevent a player from partaking in mild stomach routines and the like. With a back injury such as Gundogan's, that's your whole core fúcked.

Look lads, I'm not saying he is in great shape or anything like it, just a bit bewildered how us experts here are so quick to point out and judge that a player who hasn't been active for more or less a whole season, one with a serious back injury, has now some excess stomach weight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Neeson wrote: »
    If I sat around without intense exercise for 12 months I wouldn't get that gut.

And unless your name is Gundogan this is irrelevant.

If any of you ever had a back injury you will know how every damn movement causes you pain. So basically I bet all forms of exercise were advised against.

A fat belly is nothing. Think of how fat Ricky Hatton got in between fights and still showed up after a 12 week fight camp ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

If any of you ever had a back injury you will know how every damn movement causes you pain. So basically I bet all forms of exercise were advised against.

A fat belly is nothing. Think of how fat Ricky Hatton got in between fights and still showed up after a 12 week fight camp ripped.

Medication might be having a big effect too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This looks to be his real account. I think he's just having us on!
    mathiaspog: My bruver Paul will sign for Man Utd after the World cup he tells me.

Medication might be having a big affect too.

Very good point. Steriods definitely aid in weight gain and i'd imagine he was on them at some stage for that injury.

Hatton is a great example alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

This

There isnt a whole lot of exercise you can do with a back injury not to mind the bad one like the one gundogan has.

Combine that with the fact his diet would be designed for high activity (and these become habit) and the fact he could be on steroids and muscle relaxants given he's had back pain for almost 12 months a bit of a belly isnt much of a concern

NTMK wrote: »
    This

There isnt a whole lot of exercise you can do with a back injury not to mind the bad one like the one gundogan has.

Combine that with the fact his diet would be designed for high activity (and these become habit) and the fact he could be on steroids and muscle relaxants given he's had back pain for almost 12 months a bit of a belly isnt much of a concern

Yeah but we're not interested in your logic and sense, fact is he is a fat mess and should be ashamed of himself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement