Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

NTMK wrote: »
    Pitch will be to replicate the surface at OT. more durable surface too

Yeah thats what I heard, but haven't they just re laid the pitch? Can't see them being overly happy about ripping it up and doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

im surprised that carrington, a multi-million pound training facility isnt lit up like a ****ing Christmas tree with floodlights
    Aye its embarassing compared to other PL clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pitch will be to replicate the surface at OT. more durable surface too

its shocking this is only being done now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Apparently LVG wants to install floodlights to Carrington for double winter training sessions. Source: http://www.givemesport.com/473607-louis-van-gaal-demands-changes-at-manchester-uniteds-training-ground

Even my tiny home GAA club has floodlights, I am actually amazed that Carrington doesn't have them already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Aye its embarassing compared to other PL clubs.

But we got all those whiteboards under Moysey.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I heard, but haven't they just re laid the pitch? Can't see them being overly happy about ripping it up and doing it again

theyre used to it fergie didnt have consistency on wanting relays either iirc and imo its worth it

when i say players now im talking 50 best players in the league, defenders, cm, strikers.

i think you have a different idea maybe something along the lines of best technical or something cause no way in this world can anyone say that Welbeck is one of best 25 players in PL.

As a footballer, do you honestly think John Flanagan is more talented then Welbeck

I don't claim he is in the top 25 in the league, I would have to have a serious think to come up with where I actually rank him. Too late to be doing that now, but to mirror your thinking, there is no way in the world anyone can think the likes of Flanagan, Johnson, Skrtel, Chico, Evans, Cahill, etc are better footballers then Welbeck (without even getting in to the goalkeepers)

They should not even be compared, the guy should only be comparable to players who play in his or even somewhat similar positions!

As a footballer, do you honestly think John Flanagan is more talented then Welbeck

I don't claim he is in the top 25 in the league, I would have to have a serious think to come up with where I actually rank him. Too late to be doing that now, but to mirror your thinking, there is no way in the world anyone can think the likes of Flanagan, Johnson, Skrtel, Chico, Evans, Cahill, etc are better footballers then Welbeck (without even getting in to the goalkeepers)

They should not even be compared, the guy should only be comparable to players who play in his or even somewhat similar positions!

the question was top 50 in pl.

your point is fair enough and I agree. but that was not the question at time.

i agree it is unfair to certain degree alright.

Top of my head I would moderately to strongly disagree with

Agger
    Skrtel
    GlenJo
    Evans
    Chico
    Rio
    Carrick
    Mert
    Verm
    Torres
    Cole
    Az
    Lamps
    Cahill
    Walcott
    Lucas

Think I hit 17?

Edit: Re reading its 16.....................sure throw in Ox aswell

• Advertisement

Top of my head I would moderately to strongly disagree with

Agger
    Skrtel
    GlenJo
    Evans
    Chico
    Rio
    Carrick
    Mert
    Verm
    Torres
    Cole
    Az
    Lamps
    Cahill
    Walcott
    Lucas

Think I hit 17?

16 useless....:P:P

ya no question better footballer technically, just not better if to rank in each of those positions others be ranked higher.

best move on could be here all night.

we need transfer rumours.

who does LVG not fancy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Even my tiny home GAA club has floodlights, I am actually amazed that Carrington doesn't have them already!

Carrington has indoor pitches which I'd imagine is why they didn't bother with them until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Timmyctc wrote: »
    24. Negredo

So off the top of my very, very hungover head. There's 37 better players than Danny Welbeck in the league.
    Firstly, Welbeck is as good as if not better than the majority of players you listed.

Look at Negredo for example. I know it's his first season in the league but he is 28 (Welbeck is 23) and is considered to have had a good season and be an excellent player. Negredo played 33 times for the title winning side this season, scoring 9 goals and with 3 assists. Compare this to Welbeck who played just 25 league games and also scored 9 goals with one assist in a team that struggled throughout the season and finished in 7th place. Consider also that most of Welbeck's games he was out wide playing with more defensive duties than Negredo who played up front. Also consider Welbeck's excellent performance against Bayern in the CL which Negredo could never do without support from world class teammates such as toure, silva etc. This is just one example from your list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

K4t wrote: »
    Firstly, Welbeck is as good as if not better than the majority of players you listed.

Look at Negredo for example. I know it's his first season in the league but he is 28 (Welbeck is 23) and is considered to have had a good season and be an excellent player. Negredo played 33 times for the title winning side this season, scoring 9 goals and with 3 assists. Compare this to Welbeck who played just 25 league games and also scored 9 goals with one assist in a team that struggled throughout the season and finished in 7th place. Consider also that most of Welbeck's games he was out wide playing with more defensive duties than Negredo who played up front. Also consider Welbeck's excellent performance against Bayern in the CL which Negredo could never do without support from world class teammates such as toure, silva etc. This is just one example from your list.

Negredo is a better player overall though. Sure last season did Negredo not bag upwards of 30 goals or something? This has been a great season for Welbeck and by anyone elses standards its been average.

He's had three seasons with the club proper and he's had two average and one awful season.

In Negredo's first season in English football he had an average season by his own standards but still far better than Welbeck's.

And that is just one example from my list. Welbeck played nearly 40 games this season and scored 10. I think Negredo played 9 or 10 more games and scored 14 more goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Negredo is a better player overall though. .
    I disagree. Welbeck is a far more intelligent and technically gifted player, Negredo is a better finisher which Welbeck should be given time and opportunity to improve. And he is improving, scoring 9 in the league which equals Negredo's return in less games.

K4t wrote: »
    I disagree. Welbeck is a far more intelligent and technically gifted player, Negredo is a better finisher which Welbeck should be given time and opportunity to improve. And he is improving, scoring 9 in the league which equals Negredo's return in less games.

Right. But Negredo scored 23 in all comps and Welbeck scored 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Am I the only one confused as to what side of the arguement everyone is on regarding Welbeck? Not sure who is argueing for him and against him being in the top 50.

Or is it just who can name 50 players better than him?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Am I the only one confused as to what side of the arguement everyone is on regarding Welbeck? Not sure who is argueing for him and against him being in the top 50.

Or is it just who can name 50 players better than him?

I don't really care how many players are better than him I just saw a challenge and tried to accept it :pac:

Italian papers running the Pogba story tomorrow which is interesting although still think its a strange one and hard to see how it can come about.

Italian papers running the Pogba story tomorrow which is interesting although still think its a strange one and hard to see how it can come about.

His brothers tweet set it off. Or a twitter account claiming as much. Weird one.

Just checked twitter about it. The official Crewe Alexander twitter is saying Mathias Pogba has no twitter account.

Ah well. Looks like we're keeping our €60 million.

• Advertisement

Just checked twitter about it. The official Crewe Alexander twitter is saying Mathias Pogba has no twitter account.

Ah well. Looks like we're keeping our €60 million.

This apparently is saying Moyes wanted him and that interest to get him back. That's if my translator is correct.

It seems odd anyway.

Cannot wait for Friday to see Holland beat Spain and us all giddy at the thoughts of how good we will be.

Wonder which few players will do a Poboraky and make a name for themselves off the back of one tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Memo to all journalists linking players to Manchester United.

Start by creating a rumour linking some player to United. In the unlikely event that the player actually signs then use the following to explain the reasoning behind the failure for the transfer to materialise:

1. On Moyes' "list", but not on van Gaals' "list"
    2. Blame Edward "Angel of Death" Woodward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

England full-back Luke Shaw told Southampton on the final day of the Premier League season that he wanted to join Manchester United.
    The 18-year-old defender spoke to the Saints hierarchy at an event held at a hotel following the 1-1 home draw with United on 11 May.

By that time, United had already made a £27m offer for the left-back.

Southampton will not consider allowing any more of their players to leave until a new manager is appointed.

England striker Rickie Lambert has already been sold to Liverpool, while club captain Adam Lallana has been the subject of multiple bids from the Anfield club.

Saints hope to appoint a successor to manager Mauricio Pochettino, who joined Tottenham in late May, within the next 10 days, with former Dutch international Ronald Koeman a leading candidate for the post.

Shaw, though, has made his intentions clear.

The youngster had been asked to clarify his future quickly, with England manager Roy Hodgson making it clear he wanted squad members to sort out proposed transfers before the World Cup begins on 12 June.

Southampton, however, will only sell if the circumstances are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27758163

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Times running a story saying that Utd will allow Fellaini to leave for 15m.

Based on what I've seen of him I'd take that in a heartbeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Name 50 better players, genuinely interested to see this.

If i was making a squad of premier league players, all of these would be in it ahead of Welbeck:

Arteta
    Cazorla
    Flamini
    Giroud
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Ozil
    Podolski
    Ramsey
    Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Walcott

Benteke
    Delph
    Weimann

Caulker
    Medel
    Mutch

Cech
    Schurrle
    De Bruyne
    Ivanovic
    Azpilicueta
    Oscar
    Hazard
    Etoo
    Ramires
    Willian
    Torres
    Ba
    Cahill
    Lukaku

Baines
    Jagielka
    McCarthy
    Coleman
    Distin
    Mirallas
    Pienaar
    Barkley

Agger
    Allen
    Borini
    Gerrard
    Henderson
    Johnson(possibly)
    Enrique
    Mignolet
    Lucas
    Sakho
    Skrtel
    Suarez
    Sturridge
    Sterling
    Coutinho
    Flanagan

Aguero
    Clichy
    Dzeko
    Fernandinho
    Hart
    Silva
    Kolarov
    Kompany
    Milner
    Nasri
    Navas
    Negredo
    Zabaleta

DeGea
    Carrick
    Hernandez
    Evans
    Mata
    Nani
    Rooney
    Van Persie
    Rafael
    Kagawa

Ben Arfa
    Remy
    Sissoko

Fer
    Redmond

Clyne
    Cork
    Lallana
    Schneiderlen
    Shaw
    Rodriguez
    Lovren

Begovic

Bony
    Britton
    De Guzman
    Hernandez

Dembele
    Lloris
    Vertonghen
    Sigurdsson
    Walker
    Eriksen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

That list is hilarious I'm on mobile so can't refute it yet, didn't you mention you havnt seen much of him ?

The Cardiff, Villa and Norwich players included are especially ridiculous.

For the sake of simplicity defenders really shouldn't be on the list as I would argue Welbeck is superior to Merterzacker.

Giroud is an awful footballer Welbeck would be a solid upgrade for Arsenal.

If Fellaini is allowed leave we must be bringing in at least two central midfielders then. At least. Who would buy Fellaini though? West Ham? Stoke? Thats some drop down for him.

I wouldn't be against any player leaving at this stage if it means Van Gaal gets who he wants and isn't stuck with who he has.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

beno619 wrote: »
    That list is hilarious I'm on mobile so can't refute it yet, didn't you mention you havnt seen much of him ?

The Cardiff, Villa and Norwich players included are especially ridiculous.

For the sake of simplicity defenders really shouldn't be on the list as I would argue Welbeck is superior to Merterzacker.

Giroud is an awful footballer Welbeck would be a solid upgrade for Arsenal.

I feel like well beck is being over rated somewhat on this thread recently. He's not a bad player but I don't think any villa or arsenal fan would consider him an upgrade on benteke or Giroud and considering both are strikers and easier to compare with another striker I'll stop there though I feel mertesecker gets criminally underrated at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I'd like to see Fellaini get 1 more year at least, he was riddled with injuries last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

all coming from Daniel Taylors radio interview on Thursday, he is the one that started this though of course it could also be a case that other lads have got the story from the same source as he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Danny Welbeck is criminally underrated by a lot of posters on here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

There are at least 4 players I would sell on faster than Fellaini. Whilst not world class he is certainly a decent back up and will be interesting to see if he has a good World Cup, suddenly fickle fans will remember why we wanted him in the first place.

Young, Cleverley, Valencia and Fletcher. If those players are still at the club come the new season I will be very disappointed. Carrick is good enough as a back up, even at his age.

Welbeck is steadily improving every season and with a manager who appreciates home grown talent I expect Van Gaal to improve him even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Al Capwned wrote: »

He's also criminally overrated by a lot of posters on here imo. He's somewhere in the middle really.

Louis van Gaal was talking about Hollands upcoming game against Chile and he said he admires the Chile players as they like to attack and also he likes Vidal as he wanted to buy him from Leverkusen but he went to Juventus.

So can we officially say Vidal is on his list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I feel like well beck is being over rated somewhat on this thread recently. He's not a bad player but I don't think any villa or arsenal fan would consider him an upgrade on benteke or Giroud and considering both are strikers and easier to compare with another striker I'll stop there though I feel mertesecker gets criminally underrated at times

Il give you Benteke, but Giroud really is a poor footballer and his goalscoring is average, Welbeck would fly at Arsenal.

Merterzacker is a good defender so really shouldn't be compared but Welbeck is a better footballer in terms of touch and technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Phew, I was beginning to think Woodward was going to get any deals done before the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Being linked with Jordi Alba this morning though I cant see Barca letting him go. Top player Alba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think Welbeck would run riot at Arsenal. Just seems like he'd fit in there.

Attached what looks like the new jersey for next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Fellaini is allowed leave we must be bringing in at least two central midfielders then. At least. Who would buy Fellaini though? West Ham? Stoke? Thats some drop down for him.

I'd imagine Everton would happily take him back and basically claim a 10m loan fee for the season gone. I'd imagine any team outside the top 4 would welcome him.

It's amazing how people forget that 12 months ago, he was a big fish in a small pond, and was obviously at the very least at the level of Everton just outside the European spaces. I think there'd be a string of teams willing to make him a star player for them.

I also think it's very harsh how negative people can be about him when in reality, the entire team had issues this season. I'd love to see him get a crack under a second United manager like LVG, who would clearly define his role in the team and tell him exactly what was expected of him. But then I guess he's very much seen as a "Moyes player", and people want no memory of Moyes...

Though...
    I wouldn't be against any player leaving at this stage if it means Van Gaal gets who he wants and isn't stuck with who he has.

Agreed there.
    Al Capwned wrote: »

I would think of myself as a pretty big detractor of Welbeck.

But some of the criticism this morning and last night is baffling; listing Cech as being a better footballer than Welbeck is hilarious. They don't even play in vaguely the same area of the pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think Welbeck would run riot at Arsenal. Just seems like he'd fit in there.

I think he'd fit in well stacking shelves in Asda.

How come goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders are being used as a comparison to Welbeck?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How come goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders are being used as a comparison to Welbeck?

I just stated that I believed there are at least 50 players who I would have ahead of Welbeck. I didn't mention position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

rarnes1 wrote: »

Because they can't find 50 forwards.

@Teamshadowclan

Not sure if Everton would want him now. They've evolved since he left. Would he fit into their midfield now? I'm not convinced they'd be bothered.

I think he is a good player and we will see it at the World Cup I think, but he is damaged goods at the moment. And if we are trying to sell I can't see many top ten premier league clubs bothered.

We'll see. I also don't believe stories like this till they are proven right so I'm happy to have him stay and become the player we hope he can be.

Because they can't find 50 forwards.

At least 15 better than him in that department if you want to be like that.

If i was making a squad of premier league players, all of these would be in it ahead of Welbeck:

blah blah blah blah blah random bull**** blah blah blah

Provides a fantastic filter blah blah blah blah

I will try to make a mental note of this so I remember to disregard whatever you say about players/football in the future. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

NEW SIGNING

Official: United announce multi-year sponsorship deal with Korean company Cho-A Pharm, as clubs's pharmaceutical partner in Korea & Vietnam.

Edit... Already posted. Oops!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement