Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

kryogen wrote: »
    I will try to make a mental note of this so I remember to disregard whatever you say about players/football in the future. Cheers

Who do you disagree with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Me in this thread since the Danny Welbeck bollox started:

VerifiableBareAsiansmallclawedotter.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

rarnes1 wrote: »
    How come goalkeepers, defenders and midfielders are being used as a comparison to Welbeck?

Cause screw logic that's why

kryogen wrote: »
    Cause screw logic that's why

Logic???
    I said there are 50 better PLAYERS in the league than Welbeck. I didn't mention strikers or wingers, I said PLAYERS. Going on your "logic" then I can't say Ronaldo is a better player than Paul McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

beno619 wrote: »
    That list is hilarious

Pathetic is the word I would use.

Fabian Delph and Glen Johnson? Nathan Redmond? Kyle Walker?

Bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Going on your "logic" then I can't say Ronaldo is a better player than Paul McShane.

You may as well, it would make as much sense as that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Who do you disagree with?

Torres
    Ba

lol.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Torres
    Ba

lol.

So 2 out of my list? That's not bad. Thanks.

Ba scored 2 goals less than Welbeck last season and Torres scored more.

Pathetic is the word I would use.

Fabian Delph and Glen Johnson? Nathan Redmond? Kyle Walker?

Bull****.

At least you could say they play different roles so it tough to compare..

But Torres and Ba? :D

So 2 out of my list? That's not bad. Thanks.

So that's just caught my eye. There are many like how you just randomly included GKs. You could have included Amos and Lindegaard too.

• Advertisement

So that's just caught my eye. There are many like how you just randomly included GKs. You could have included Amos and Lindegaard too.

You're making a premier league squad. Who would you name first, Cech or Welbeck? That was the point of the post I made. They were the players (not including some I forgot like Adebayor) who I would name in a squad before Welbeck.

You're making a premier league squad. Who would you name first, Cech or Welbeck? That was the point of the post I made. They were the players (not including some I forgot like Adebayor) who I would name in a squad before Welbeck.

You would, after all you named Torres and Ba ahead before Welbeck.

You would, after all you named Torres and Ba ahead before Welbeck.

Was that meant to be an answer to the question I asked? A few lads have said you can't compare players who play in different positions, that's not what I was doing. I stated that if I was picking a squad, all of the players mentioned and a few more I forgot would be considered BY ME ahead of Welbeck. If you like, I can bring MY list down to just wingers and strikers.

You find it ridiculous that I would choose Torres or Ba ahead of Welbeck? I find it frankly hilarious that someone from this thread was recently saying that Welbeck is better than Sturridge and someone the other night said he is better than Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

There's been a lot of ridiculous stuff on the thread but this Welbeck list thing is right up there....someone give me a twitter rumour direct from Thailand.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

ericzeking wrote: »
    There's been a lot of ridiculous stuff on the thread but this Welbeck list thing is right up there....someone give me a twitter rumour direct from Thailand.....

#ขอ อภัย ไม่มีข่าวในวันนี้

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Honestly, how much is Welbeck worth? 15m-18m?? Would there be 50 players in the league worth more than him, I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

#ขอ อภัย ไม่มีข่าวในวันนี้

สัญญาณ Welbeck เพื่อดาร์ลิงตัน - ทำลายข่าว

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Just wait... once the floodgate that is the transfer window officially opens we're in for a world of pain.

The moaning about signing no-one has already started. People are questioning LvG and his targets. Welbeck, who hasn't even touched a ball in a United jersey in months, is being blasted again. If Valencia signs a 4 year deal this thread will melt. Nani being **** will obviously be brought back up. Rival fans will come in once United do sign a player and another war will break out. Someone will get injured in the world cup (I'm looking at you, Robin) and you'll literally hear the tears rolling down posters' faces. bangkok will continue to pretend to be in the know and infuriate posters with utter crap. Kew will keep using winky smiley faces which will cause another thread meltdown because HE KNOWS SOMETHING.

Just another day at the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

สัญญาณ Welbeck เพื่อดาร์ลิงตัน - ทำลายข่าว

Ah he can do better than them :)

• Advertisement

• ericzeking wrote: »

It's laughable and makes absolutely no logical sense, goalkeepers wtf..
    Honestly it's the spillage from the World Cup 2014 thread coming in here.

Welbeck was getting ridiculously slated along with anybody wearing a Utd shirt that plays for England. It's a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

that list of 50 players better than welbeck...... was that some sort of pi** take or was the guy serious that typed it?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

I actually unfollowed the thread yesterday when the Moyes/if Fergie stayed conversation kicked off. Ended up re-following later that day. This thread is like crack, I can't stop viewing it even with the ridiculous stuff!

I don't even know if I stay for the real discussions or the car crash opinions of others at this point. Comparing Welbeck to goalkeepers and then trying to defend it will be hard to beat...but I look forward to someone trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Welbeck > Maldini, Cannavaro, Macgrath...;)

bangkok wrote: »
    that list of 50 players better than welbeck...... was that some sort of pi** take or was the guy serious that typed it?!!!

He'd make a great left back.

Welbeck > Maldini, Cannavaro, Macgrath...;)

Different positions, ridiculous to compare.

• Advertisement

• Welbeck > Maldini, Cannavaro, Macgrath...;)

:pac::pac::pac:

;)

WHAT DO YOU KNOWWWWWWW?!?!?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Different positions, ridiculous to compare.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzQH8EZoBx8d8y7KEhkcLKogVi4mdow7DnbYk_Gp_cVgH4-cwxH3iQkw

TheDoc wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzQH8EZoBx8d8y7KEhkcLKogVi4mdow7DnbYk_Gp_cVgH4-cwxH3iQkw

I assumed the sarcasm in my post didn't need to be spoonfed, apologies.

I assumed the sarcasm in my post didn't need to be spoonfed, apologies.

I'm not following this Wellbeck talk closely to be honest, and I needed an excuse to bust out the Fellaini palm, been too long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

This thread = cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

This thread = cringe.

Lack of transfer news brings out the sh*te talk.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'm not following this Wellbeck talk closely to be honest, and I needed an excuse to bust out the Fellaini palm, been too long

The World Cup starts on Thursday. We United fans walk a very dangerous line with ol' Marouane. That little facepalm may get it's fair use in due course.

Lack of transfer news brings out the sh*te talk.

Well instead of just giving out about the topic and adding nothing, how about getting involved?

Where would you lot put Welbeck in relation to the top strikers and wingers in England? This all stemmed from posters stating he is better than Sturridge and Sterling.

Well instead of just giving out about the topic and adding nothing, how about getting involved?

Where would you lot put Welbeck in relation to the top strikers and wingers in England? This all stemmed from posters stating he is better than Sturridge and Sterling.

The problem is that Welbeck is a striker, not a winger, so when he's played on the wing he's not very good, and when he plays uo top he is. He can;t get him game up top because Rooney and RVP are better than him, so he's dumped out of position.

We mas aswell compare Kagawa to Sterling.

Sturidge failed to make the grade at Chelsea and City for a variety of reasons, but mostly because his finishing was poor, he was self centered, and managers felt his pace and strengths were best utilised out wide.

While I dont see the same ego on Wellbeck, his finishing leaves a lot to be desired and is being peddled out wide because of his pace. Danger of simply turning into an auxilary winger, not being great at either.

Probably similar to Sturridge, he needs to move away from the club, get into a squad where he can play as a striker week in week out, and then develope himself into a good one.

While I like his general play, he looses poession all to easy at times, guilty of overplaying and misses some guilt edge chances, especially when they are needed most. (Bayern game? )

I don't think there is any arugement with comparisons to Struddige, Sturridge has been far beyond Wellbeck the last year. But that's partially down to Sturridge having a central role at Liverpool, and Wellbeck not at United. And it's not exactly his fault.

I wouldn't pick him ahead of RVP or Rooney if all are on song.

Definitely wouldn't be upset if I learned he was leaving this summer, although I'll imagine LVG will give him a goo and see what he thinks. But unless he starts becoming more ruthless then he won't make the cut.

And before people start banding around stats, they are part of a narrative, not THE narrative. Wellbeck has been horrendously guilty of missing chances at critical times in games. Its all well and good scoring 10 goals or something against muck opposition, but he's bottled some guilt edge chances at critical moments in big games. You need more frm a striker playing for a top club.

I just stated that I believed there are at least 50 players who I would have ahead of Welbeck. I didn't mention position.

Surely position is vital?!

I think Welbeck utilised correctly could be a decent player tbh.

A move away from Utd to a club where he'll play regularly might actually benefit his career tbh.

Edit, just seen the docs reply and would agree with most of that

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Surely position is vital?!

I think Welbeck utilised correctly could be a decent player tbh.

A move away from Utd to a club where he'll play regularly might actually benefit his career tbh.

Edit, just seen the docs reply and would agree with most of that

As I said to kryogen earlier, if that was the case then nobody could say Ronaldo is better than Paul McShane. I have said what the point of my post was, if I was naming a premier league squad then all those players I mentioned would come into consideration before Welbeck, that's all.

Also, I agree about TheDocs post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm a better keeper than Welbeck.
    Sign me up.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I'm a better keeper than Welbeck.
    Sign me up.

Good lad, great input. You won't need to be signed up, surely a career in stand up comedy is your more natural calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

50643972.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The fact is go back a year or 18 months ago both players were in similar circumstances. Both not getting games up front for their clubs and i thought Wellbeck looked the better player.

Sturridge moved for first team football and has benefited and developed while Wellbeck has continued to play as a bit part winger. Wellbeck if moved for first team football would improve massively like Sturridge has imo. I think Arsenal would be a good fit for him. Right now Sturridge is the better player and it will stay that way unless Wellbeck leaves for first team football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

welbeck is rated highly by fergie, capello, hodgson and when united played Bayern pep named welbeck as one of the main threats to his Bayern team.... also look at his performances in big games, never lets ya down. had a great euro 2012 as well and will be vital to England at this world cup

bangkok wrote: »
    welbeck is rated highly by fergie, capello, hodgson and when united played Bayern pep named welbeck as one of the main threats to his Bayern team.... also look at his performances in big games, never lets ya down. had a great euro 2012 as well and will be vital to England at this world cup

Are you capable of forming your own opinion?
    Welbeck won't be vital to England over the next few weeks because he won't be starting barring injury or suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Is Welbeck one of the top 50 strikers in the league? Yes
    Is Welbeck one of the top 50 wingers in the league? Yes
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 most techniquely gifted players in the league? No
    Is Welbeck one of the quickest players in the league? Possibly.
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 defenders in the league? No
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 Goalkeepers in the league? No
    Is Welbeck a useful player? Absolutely.

Is Welbeck better than Sturridge? Given an extended run up front. I think he would be, currently he probably isn't.
    Is Welbeck better than Sterling? As a winger, no, but since we are comparing apples and oranges everywhere else, Welbeck is a far superior striker to Sterling, ergo I would say in this broad discussion that Welbeck is better than Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Good lad, great input. You won't need to be signed up, surely a career in stand up comedy is your more natural calling.

I sense a note of sarcasm in this post...

Is Welbeck one of the top 50 strikers in the league? Yes
    Is Welbeck one of the top 50 wingers in the league? Yes
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 most techniquely gifted players in the league? No
    Is Welbeck one of the quickest players in the league? Possibly.
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 defenders in the league? No
    Is Welbeck in the top 50 Goalkeepers in the league? No
    Is Welbeck a useful player? Absolutely.

Is Welbeck better than Sturridge? Given an extended run up front. I think he would be, currently he probably isn't.
    Is Welbeck better than Sterling? As a winger, no, but since we are comparing apples and oranges everywhere else, Welbeck is a far superior striker to Sterling, ergo I would say in this broad discussion that Welbeck is better than Sterling.

Congratulations on completely missing the point of my post yet again, to miss it by such distance too?? Truly incredible.

Well done you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Lads wanna start a smash your palm against the keyboard competition to see who's ****e post is better?

Lads wanna start a smash your palm against the keyboard competition to see who's ****e post is better?

I'm on a tablet, I don't wanna break it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Eskişehirspor and Sivasspor have been suspended from 2014/15 UEFA Europa League for alleged involvement in the 2011-12 season match-fixing scandal.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=5988

Reading that it could be us and Valencia taking their places but not sure how accurate that is, given I think I've seen people on here saying there's others ahead of us. Anyone more up to date on rulings as to who'd take their place?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement