Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Eskişehirspor and Sivasspor have been suspended from 2014/15 UEFA Europa League for alleged involvement in the 2011-12 season match-fixing scandal.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=5988

Reading that it could be us and Valencia taking their places but not sure how accurate that is, given I think I've seen people on here saying there's others ahead of us. Anyone more up to date on rulings as to who'd take their place?

Karabükspor and Bursaspor take their places

European spots dont leave the league on matters like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Are you capable of forming your own opinion?
    Welbeck won't be vital to England over the next few weeks because he won't be starting barring injury or suspension.

yes as I've said here before I rate him very highly, I think he is a great player for united and never lets the team down.

how do you know he wont be starting are you the England manager? he has started nearly every game under hodgson and has preformed well in nearly every game for England as well. one of the brighter players as well against Honduras at the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

bangkok wrote: »
    yes as I've said here before I rate him very highly, I think he is a great player for united and never lets the team down.

how do you know he wont be starting are you the England manager? he has started nearly every game under hodgson and has preformed will in nearly every game for England as well. one of the brighter players as well against Honduras at the weekend.

If he wasn't from Manchester, he would have been turfed out long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

you the united manager as well?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thats nonsense but you probably already know that and I dont even know why I am responding to you.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    you the united manager as well?!

Why ask such a stupid question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

yFKlvf0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Sturridge has to start ahead of him as his form this season was a lot better but I think the are very similar level players.

Sterling has had a really good few months but is unknown at this level he hasn't even got to play good at a European club level.

If England start conservative with more trusted players them Welbeck starts. Sterling off the bench, he is still a little to raw for this level like Shaw.

If and I can't see it happening England really go at it with the younger players then Sterling starts.

Like all good teams the manager picks his best team for the game in hand not his best individual 11

yFKlvf0.jpg

What rules are being broken??? If you'd prefer to just live in peace and tranquillity where everything is perfect then fair enough, however most normal football fans can accept criticism of their team and players if it's justified. But you United fans with your "funny" pictures and replies just don't seem to be able to accept it. If Welbeck is good enough for you and for United then that's fair enough and good for the rest of us. I won't say anymore on the matter for fear of being embarrassed by another loltastic meme or gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Welbeck won't be vital to England over the next few weeks because he won't be starting barring injury or suspension.

Actually, he probably will be starting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Congratulations on completely missing the point of my post yet again, to miss it by such distance too?? Truly incredible.

Well done you!!!
    Good lad, great input. You won't need to be signed up, surely a career in stand up comedy is your more natural calling.
    I assumed the sarcasm in my post didn't need to be spoonfed, apologies.

Quite the attitude this afternoon...
    Don't be shocked when people are short with you.

That's what happens when people try to be funny while completely misreading what I actually posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Ah for fcuk sake, came on here and saw the thread was pages ahead of me and thought we'd done business and its a pissing contest between posters about Welbeck .

Who cares who's right, we won't know for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Kevin Strootman stance in Rome is softening according to reports in both Holland and Italy on Monday. ELF go with the headline 'Strootman near to Manchester United' and go on to explain that it's no secret, in Holland especially, that Louis van Gaal wants to sign the injured Dutch midfielder.

Gazzetta dello Sport have also covered the story, they were first, and explain that the attitude in Rome may have changed from a simple 'Not For Sale' to a question of how much they could potentially get. Gazzetta reckon that despite a public stance of the player not being for sale, that a fee of €35m would be enough for Walter Sabatini. That goes against earlier reporting in Rome during May.

Back in May Il Tempo said that Roma would reject a £30m plus bonuses bid from Manchester United and still to this day they say a sale will be fought against, but they also claim Roma won't sell anybody at all... and it could simply be a message from the club they're putting out.

Roma came to an agreement with Seydou Keita last week and the former Barcelona midfielder has signed a one year contract with the club.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/strootman-near-to-manchester-united-fee-35m-reports-in-both-holla

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Welbeck. he is a great great player ok
    He is the most awful player ok?

Now that I discussed that, the Thomas Muller rumours are appearing again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Being away in Belgium the past week, some hailstones the other night during their match.
    Solid discussions going on in here I see. Interesting how Sterling is suddenly better then Danny after one good season, Liverpool logic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Why ask such a stupid question?

The irony is strong with this post.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Muller to United looks like some leverage for a new contract.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DM-ICE wrote: »

That was my first thought when I heard it. Can't see him leaving.

• lordgoat wrote: »

Is this the new thing now, Man Utd are used for contract leverage for every player... it's starting to get ****ing annoying.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is this the new thing now, Man Utd are used for contract leverage for every player... it's starting to get ****ing annoying.

No

Only because its not a new thing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The fact that the BBC are reporting this would encourage me.....
    England full-back Luke Shaw told Southampton on the final day of the Premier League season that he wanted to join Manchester United.
    The 18-year-old defender spoke to the Saints hierarchy at an event held at a hotel following the 1-1 home draw with United on 11 May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

top players could probably smell the levels off desperation off our former manager and CEO over the past 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How does this narrative hold for Cleverley and Carrick ?

• DM-ICE wrote: »
    No

Only because its not a new thing :P

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was gonna say...pretty ****ty attitude and lame attempts at being witty or something

Also I think what's being said about Shaw is nothing new.

I think all had worked out why Southampton arnt willing to sell Shaw at this point. I know I spoke about it while back.

No manager will come in there while players are being shipped out. Although I'd imagine when their manager does sign he will be told Shaw is going.

Obviously a new manager will want to keep him...but if the player has asked to leave don't see it going any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

beno619 wrote: »

Not sure why we'd turf out Carrick when he won our Players Poty last year?

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also I think what's being said about Shaw is nothing new.

I think all had worked out why Southampton arnt willing to sell Shaw at this point. I know I spoke about it while back.

No manager will come in there while players are being shipped out. Although I'd imagine when their manager does sign he will be told Shaw is going.

Obviously a new manager will want to keep him...but if the player has asked to leave don't see it going any other way.

It doesn't make sense to me, if Shaw is going then they should let him go before a new manger arrives, otherwise the new manager walks in and is left looking like he gave it the okay. If the people in charge want to sell him they should take responsibility for it.

Timmyctc wrote: »

It's in relation to a poster saying Welbeck is only in the England team because he plays for United.

Edit: think I took the original post the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

TheDoc wrote: »

Would it not be more logical then to sell Shaw before the new manager comes, rather than appointing a manager and then selling his best players?

lordgoat wrote: »

The only difference is Thomas Muller has said that LVG is more than a normal coach-player relationship, Muller: "It is no secret that Louis van Gaal and I had a quite special coach-player relationship."

Close friends by all accounts, So if Muller is not given what he wants, maybe not this season, but I could see it next season presuming United are back in the champions league and Muller is still pissed off with Pep.

Muller: "I have now come to the point where I insist to know that I am part of the starting 11 at Bayern Munich.""I have also demanded to know if the club really want to go forward with me in the next few seasons.
    “I am no longer the type who says, ‘OK then, today I will play in this role, next match in that role. Just move me about and I will keep my mouth shut’. No, those days are gone.’’

Thomas doesn't seem very happy...

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only difference is Thomas Muller has said that LVG is more than a normal coach-player relationship, Muller: "It is no secret that Louis van Gaal and I had a quite special coach-player relationship."

Close friends by all accounts, So if Muller is not given what he wants, maybe not this season, but I could see it next season presuming United are back in the champions league and Muller is still pissed off with Pep.

Muller: "I have now come to the point where I insist to know that I am part of the starting 11 at Bayern Munich.""I have also demanded to know if the club really want to go forward with me in the next few seasons.
    “I am no longer the type who says, ‘OK then, today I will play in this role, next match in that role. Just move me about and I will keep my mouth shut’. No, those days are gone.’’

Thomas doesn't seem very happy...

Or it seems like he wants a new contract, put on the big wages = important to the club going forward

Earlier reports were United asked about him and were told no. If a club looks for you it is a pretty good time to put pressure on for a new contract.

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »

They must have held the vote in a pub.

Marca really pushing the Sanchez to United story.

Or it seems like he wants a new contract, put on the big wages = important to the club going forward

Earlier reports were United asked about him and were told no. If a club looks for you it is a pretty good time to put pressure on for a new contract.

That could very well be the case, but I wouldn't rule out LVG had a word with him either. They do talk to eachother as friends.

What is strange is the change in statements from Muller, he has gone from
    "
    I have a contract with Bayern Munich until summer 2017.
    "I am really enjoying playing for Bayern.
    "There really is nothing better than this." to "I have also demanded to know if the club really want to go forward with me in the next few seasons."

The full piece I posted above shows something has happened, it is either a better contract, or angling for a move.
    Though he didn't seem to have a problem with his contract or playing position before - apart from playing time.
    It does seem something concrete has happened to unsettle him.

What rules are being broken??? If you'd prefer to just live in peace and tranquillity where everything is perfect then fair enough, however most normal football fans can accept criticism of their team and players if it's justified. But you United fans with your "funny" pictures and replies just don't seem to be able to accept it. If Welbeck is good enough for you and for United then that's fair enough and good for the rest of us. I won't say anymore on the matter for fear of being embarrassed by another loltastic meme or gif.

Would you ever calm down and go back and do something something something darkside ffs it was a joke, your bad attitude and short temper is not wanted here.

zerks wrote: »
    Marca really pushing the Sanchez to United story.

LVG likes Chilean players...

#WeWantVidal2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Al Capwned wrote: »
    The fact that the BBC are reporting this would encourage me.....

a £30m deal for Shaw doenst encourage me at all. if priority meant that we'd only sign 3 players, then 2 midfielders and a center back would be on my list before a LB though i guess my faith in Evra is much higher than most of you on here.

my logic is very simple - as poor and all as we played last year, our defending was no worse than the year before and we conceded 43 goals last season, the exact same amount as we did when we walked the league the year before. the problems are at the other end or more to the point, through the middle of the pitch and a complete lack of creativity through there is killing us, especially when injuries set in to our key players.

last season we dropped alot of points in 1 goal defeats - Everton, West Brom, Newcastle, Stoke, Liverpool, Sunderland, with silly draws against Cardiff and Fulham.

one goal more in each of those games (not exactly a huge ask or stretch of the imagination for a club like us especially considering most of the points were dropped at home) would seen us finish 5th at least no matter how s*it we were in all the big games.

obviously Vidic and Rio need to be replaced but signing Shaw for that obscene money doesnt excite me at all when its not incorrect to say that it would mean less money is available to sort our other more problematic areas.

and i think evra will go and show he still is a class player and much better than alot of ye think he is, at the World Cup. Shaw can wait another season, as far as i am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Would you ever calm down and go back to your own teams thread ffs it was a joke, your bad attitude and short temper is not wanted here.

Houl on just one minute here. I went and wracked my hungover head for a list of players better suited to their positions than Welbeck .... for .... a Liverpool fan?

tumblr_mipj9rkB5Q1rajykuo1_500.gif

Would you ever calm down and go back to your own teams thread ffs it was a joke, your bad attitude and short temper is not wanted here.

Isn't that against the rules?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm loving this summer. I'm believing nothing that's being written about United transfers.

Anywhere.

No stress.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm loving this summer. I'm believing nothing that's being written about United transfers.

Anywhere.

No stress.

Same here, after the initial May hype... - I like the rumours, adding to rumours, speculating, but I only believe when they are signed.

and i think evra will go and show he still is a class player and much better than alot of ye think he is, at the World Cup. Shaw can wait another season, as far as i am concerned.

Evra is a class player but physically he struggles with the intensity over a full season now and it has a negative impact on his positioning and decision making. That is down to age and the physical effort he has put in with little rest over the last few seasons.

He has had weeks to prepare himself for the world cup so a good performance in it will only prove that is still a good player once he has time to rest and recover.

He should be better for United next season without UCL games so I see your point on Shaw.

Good call Vinz, he should have used an apostrophe in 'teams'.

No idea but edited for your viewing pleasure.

Edit:

Checked the rules there can't see anything that says no telling posters to post elsewhere, if a mod could enlighten me that be awesome.

I know the holding onto Shaw until new manager arrives makes no sense, but it's a perception thing.

Southampton by their own accord are trying to attract an experienced manager. And no experienced manager would walk into a club ahead of watching all their star players being offloaded.

Lambert, Shaw, Lallana and Schneiderlen look all set to make way this summer. I think it's a simple perception thing on a number of fronts. I know it might not make sense, but I'm pretty sure why its happening.

The club didn't get a lot of heat selling Lambart for £4m. It's a deal that somewhat made sense and the club won't take flack for.

However if all these players go now, it's the boards/club/directors that will take the heat directly. They will have made the decision, and if things dont go well next season there will be hell to pay.

Hold onto these players, new manager comes in, and there is a bit of a deflect for the board. They can spin a number of yarns "The manager knew this transfer activity before arriving" all that sort of thing.

It gives everyone really "an excuse".

In reality it is just delaying the inevitable, as I'm sure if Southampton are interviewing experienced managers, those managers will be well wise to the fact Lallana, Shaw and Schneiderlen will most likely not be in their squad next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

No idea but edited for your viewing pleasure.

Edit:

Checked the rules there can't see anything that says no telling posters to post elsewhere, if a mod could enlighten me that be awesome.

I was yellow carded for it earlier in the year but ya i tend to pick these things up..... :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement