Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So..........in the space of a day we've been told we are back in for Kroos and are now trying to hijack Chelsea's signing of Fabergas.WTF kind of list did LVG give Woodward or is he just slow at reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

zerks wrote: »
    So..........in the space of a day we've been told we are back in for Kroos and are now trying to hijack Chelsea's signing of Fabergas.WTF kind of list did LVG give Woodward or is he just slow at reading?

Maybe they just noticed that there were names on the back of the sheet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

1) These lists are fictional; 2) The papers have no real stories to write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No english paper, and no articles written by the press pack that would cover and have best links to United, have backed these new Kroos or Fabregas stories.

Ducker, specifically, reiterated that United are not in for Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

As I see it, the idea of the manager having complete control comes from an era when teams were football clubs first and businesses second. That dynamic has changed, now some of these clubs are multi-national enterprises worth billions, so its not surprising that accepted roles within the clubs will change.

What other multi-national would allow one man below board level the power that somebody like Alex Ferguson had? Beyond the likes of Steve Jobs not very many I imagine. The likes of Fergie and Wenger retained that power through longevity, they had been there before the dynamic really started to change and retained their roles, but in the future I really can't see that happening again.

I'd say within ten years every club will have a director of football, and when you look at United currently its hard not to see why. Currently we seem to be dead in the water waiting for one man to come back from the world cup, where else would you see it? In ten/twenty years it will be more like the American model, a first team coach working below a general manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

If we are waiting for LVG I can't understand it. Surely he knows the team needs new blood and what areas need strengthening (CM at least). So surely he would have given the club a list of players to get. Does he really need to be present? Its disconcerting that there's no real transfer news for United at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm reading Pirlo's book at the moment. I'm only half way through it but what's struck me most is just how loyal he is towards certain players and managers.

He claims that in 2009 he was a signature away from signing for Chelsea all because Ancelotti was taking over. No wonder nobody wanted to play for United last season under Moyes!

I reckon LvG will have that same aura about him for certain players, especially now that he's back at club level. Storrtman will sign I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

"Dead in the water" seems very harsh given it's been a very, very quiet transfer window so far. Going just by completed deals...

Liverpool have signed Can (and overpaid) and Lambert (a third string striker). Hardly awe-inspiring.

Arsenal have lost Sagna. Peek into their thread and see how they are worried about a lack of movement too.

City have signed Fernando and Sagna. Again, hardly massive reinforcements.

Chelsea haven't signed anyone.

Spurs haven't signed anyone.

There's a lot of rumours, obviously; We're close to Shaw and are linekd as being close with a few players. Chelsea seem close to Costa and Fabregas, but haven't actually finalized anything yet. Pool and City both face a summer of a key player trying to move.

And these are teams with managers in place. These are teams who don't have the same obstacles as we do.

Don't misrepresent me, mind, this is not me saying I'm happy to do no business because no one else is. It's not saying we have to wait until everyone moves before we do like some JRPG.

Simply that for all people are panicing about other teams growing stronger while we twiddle our thumbs, the reality is there's been a massive stall this summer for all teams. Once the World Cup ends, the floodgates will open I'd imagine, and that includes for us as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

There's no way he'll be getting £160k/week. Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Blatter wrote: »
    There's no way he'll be getting £160k/week. Not a chance.

He'll certainly have his run of the tuck shop with that sort of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Does everybody else not automatically call bullsh*t on every Goal.com article?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

160,000k per week....riiiiggghhht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Them and caught offside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Them and caught offside!

You can throw givemefootball in there too. Some just aren't worth the bother of linking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Goal are very unreliable, any of us could have wrote that over the last few weeks - official United twitter account or the BBC is really where it's at with regards any signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

It's obvious these stories will circulate when the transfer bid was made on the 11/12th May and nothing at all has happened since then.

I am surprised it has taken so long for alternatives to be offered by the media, unless most journalists know the deal is done just not announced yet.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Them and caught offside!

and Bleacher Report

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

No way could I believe they would pay an 18 year old £160000 a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its the worst website on the internet, as to how anybody believes it ill never know.

Luke Shaw is not getting 160k a week and nowhere near it. if we allowed a deal like that to happen, our CE and entire board should be put into a boot of a car and dropped somewhere in the middle of Leitrim and told to find their way back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He could end up on 160k/w down the line, but I don't imagine he will get that at the start.

I'd say 70/k is probably the outragous salary he will get based on his hot prospect status. Although I wonder if it might even end up lower, I'd say he was on a relatively low deal with Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Luke Shaw is not getting 160k a week and nowhere near it. if we allowed a deal like that to happen, our CE and entire board should be put into a boot of a car helicopter and dropped somewhere in the middle of Leitrim the Atlantic and told to find their way back home.

FYP. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Miranda on Radio in Brazil;
    "I have some offers and we are negotiating," he told Brazil's Radio Espn.

"I have offers from Spanish and English leagues and from some less important ones too.

"My agent is in Europe to decide my future, my buy-out fee at Atletico Madrid is €30million, but that can be negotiated."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Other 'sources' reporting 100k a week, wouldn't be surprised at those wages though tbh.

Anyone know how much Janujaz is on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Other 'sources' reporting 100k a week, wouldn't be surprised at those wages though tbh.

Anyone know how much Janujaz is on?

30K a week iirc

NTMK wrote: »
    30K a week iirc

think its up to 50k after last contract, his agent said he was the best young player in the world.

our players are amongest the best paid in the world, Youngs wages would make you vomit every time you think about it. not only did we overpay for him by about £10million, but we are also overpaying him by about £50k a week.

whoever brokered that deal (assume it was Fergie and Gill), must have been drunk that night.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Goal are very unreliable, any of us could have wrote that over the last few weeks - official United twitter account or the BBC is really where it's at with regards any signings.

In fairness to Goal, they have made a big effort over the last year to recruit a number of people with actual contacts and journalist degrees, so I would hope they are more reliable now than they were a year or so back. They have put money into it anyway.

Previously they had a crap load of unpaid interns on 'work experience' writing their stuff, which I would imagine wasn't a step up on us reading some diffrent forums and putting our name to a summary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wouldn't be surprised at Luke Shaw getting ridiculous wages tbh

No Champions League, desperate for a signing, he has total control until LVG steps in and says fck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is there generally a correlation between transfer fee and wages?
    Wouldn't the wage range that some suggested (£60/70K pw) put him amongst the lowest paid of £25M players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

"The west London club are currently keeping only a watching brief given their current financial situation, with it being understood that Chelsea are not willingto pay Southampton's asking price of £30m and would offer Shaw a salary of around £60,000 a week compared with the £100,000 United were considering paying."

from the guardian....

bangkok wrote: »
    "The west London club are currently keeping only a watching brief given their current financial situation, with it being understood that Chelsea are not willingto pay Southampton's asking price of £30m and would offer Shaw a salary of around £60,000 a week compared with the £100,000 United were considering paying."

from the guardian....

the fact that Chelsea are being priced out of the deal says enough for me, the money involved is just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am only going from football manager so i have no clue if it happens in real life but maybe somebody knows. When selling a player to a lower standard team who can;t match his wages you can agree to pay a certain amount of his wages each week for his new club.

It's reported Young is on what 90 or 100k. Would you be happy to pay 20k a week if he moves to free up 70 or 80k a week to reduce the wage bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

think its up to 50k after last contract, his agent said he was the best young player in the world.

our players are amongest the best paid in the world, Youngs wages would make you vomit every time you think about it. not only did we overpay for him by about £10million, but we are also overpaying him by about £50k a week.

whoever brokered that deal (assume it was Fergie and Gill), must have been drunk that night.

Hindsight is 20:20...when we bought him he was one of the top assisters in the league, was a versatile, goal scoring wide man and English, he was young too with improvement expected.

His wages and the fee were probably about right, probably marginally on the high side.

The fact he's turned out to be no more than a useful squad player is unfortunate but guys have been crying over that spilt milk for years and years.... it's a cliche at this stage 'Ashley Youngs wages'

ericzeking wrote: »

His wages and the fee were probably about right, probably marginally on the high side.

£16million quid for a player in the last year of his contract? a player coming from Aston Villa on the guts of £100k a week?

come on for f*ck sake, it was a terrible deal.

Is there generally a correlation between transfer fee and wages?
    Wouldn't the wage range that some suggested (£60/70K pw) put him amongst the lowest paid of £25M players?

Sounds more like something an agent would use against the buying club to get his client higher wages.

From a selling clubs POV theres no correlation. Good example is Carvalho. Buy-out clause of 37M and on wages of 3.5K/week with talk of it being bumped to 7K/week the lucky duck.

Of course if Utd were to sign Carvalho he get a massive jump in wages alright but I think thats just the agent using circumstances to his advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

£16million quid for a player in the last year of his contract? a player coming from Aston Villa on the guts of £100k a week?

come on for f*ck sake, it was a terrible deal.

I think it's a marginal call to be honest, we are seeing the English premium in full effect with Shaw and he wants to leave by all accounts....

I don't remember having an issue with it at the time but I wasn't an internetter about United back then and my thoughts on such critical matters were more fleeting!!!

Would people be pissed if Kroos signed for Real this summer? or anyone else I suppose too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

TheTownie wrote: »
    Would people be pissed if Kroos signed for Real this summer?

If we sign alternative midfielders who Van Gaal identified as his preferred choice then no. Can't expect the man, who has won everything in the game to not have the players he wants and force another manager wish list on him. I trust VG, he has an aura about him and he is clearly a man who does not like losing.

If he does not get his way on signings this Summer he will walk, he has done it before and will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Would people be pissed if Kroos signed for Real this summer? or anyone else I suppose too.

to be fair, if madrid want him, then we're only there to push up the price.

i genuinely hate this time of the year. Nothing but speculation from utter liar websites and a world cup that we didn't qualify for and has nobody I am interested in watching. Roll on August.

yes...if we could only sign one player this summer, it would be him. the man is incredible and the perfect player for us. we struggled to replace Schmeichel, keane and co for long times, Scholes replacement is there and apparently available.

of course, as has been pointed out many times he could be using us for a new contract but if he does go somewhere else, ill be sickened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've long since accepted that if it's us vs Chelsea, City, PSG, Real, Barca or Monaco, we're going to struggle to get a player.

So if he goes to Real, and the signs continue to point to LVG not even bothering, I really won't be all that bothered either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Kroos is good and would be a serious upgrade on our current crop. He's not on or near the same level as Scholes was but he's a good player. Not sure why he'd come to Manchester United after the season we had. I think people are being very unrealistic in their transfer expectations this Summer.

If you're a Toni Kroos, Arturo Vidal, Paul Pogba then why would you join a club that finished 7th in the Premier League and have no Champions League to offer? These guys aren't going to want to come in to play alongside Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher or Michael Carrick either. The only advantage we have is probably offering more money at this stage.

I'll wait until the end of the Summer to review the transfer window but if we manage to sign a Vidal or Pogba then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Sounds more like something an agent would use against the buying club to get his client higher wages.

From a selling clubs POV theres no correlation. Good example is Carvalho. Buy-out clause of 37M and on wages of 3.5K/week with talk of it being bumped to 7K/week the lucky duck.

Of course if Utd were to sign Carvalho he get a massive jump in wages alright but I think thats just the agent using circumstances to his advantage.

The buy-out clause doesn't mean anything. It is not a reflection of what the player will be sold for.

Pro. F wrote: »
    The buy-out clause doesn't mean anything. It is not a reflection of what the player will be sold for.

I agree but if Utd were to sign him he would cost a large amount.

yes...if we could only sign one player this summer, it would be him. the man is incredible and the perfect player for us. we struggled to replace Schmeichel, keane and co for long times, Scholes replacement is there and apparently available.

of course, as has been pointed out many times he could be using us for a new contract but if he does go somewhere else, ill be sickened.

Bar United kidnapping Kroos then he would choose Madrid everyday of the week and rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

glued wrote: »
    Kroos is good and would be a serious upgrade on our current crop. He's not on or near the same level as Scholes was but he's a good player. Not sure why he'd come to Manchester United after the season we had. I think people are being very unrealistic in their transfer expectations this Summer.

If you're a Toni Kroos, Arturo Vidal, Paul Pogba then why would you join a club that finished 7th in the Premier League and have no Champions League to offer? These guys aren't going to want to come in to play alongside Tom Cleverley, Darren Fletcher or Michael Carrick either. The only advantage we have is probably offering more money at this stage.

I'll wait until the end of the Summer to review the transfer window but if we manage to sign a Vidal or Pogba then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

if your a toni kroos or a pogba etc you prob grew up in awe of Manchester united and pogba was at united before so might jump at the chance to go back. We have one of the best stadiums in the world, sold out every week in the biggest league in the world that also pays the highest wages, why would you not want to join. I think that toni kroos brother said the whole family supported united. We are one of the biggest sporting teams in the world and next season is the beginning of a new "project".

• Advertisement

Personally i would not want Pogba back at the club. The sickening feeling of paying 30+ million for a player you left leave on a free a few years ago would annoy me too much.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Bar United kidnapping Kroos then he would choose Madrid everyday of the week and rightly so.

that would be the case for most, but not all players. if the general consensus in the reliable press was/is that United had a deal agreed for Kroos, then i am happy to accept this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Personally i would not want Pogba back at the club. The sickening feeling of paying 30+ million for a player you left leave on a free a few years ago would annoy me too much.

But it would definitely be offset by seeing a genuinely good central midfielder every week.
    I'd have him back in a heartbeat if the deal could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Wasnt Pogbas fault. Fergie ****ed up bigtime

Robson99 wrote: »
    Wasnt Pogbas fault. Fergie ****ed up bigtime

I don't think anyone was blameless, especially Pogba and his agent. But I would agree Fergie has to shoulder some of the blame for the poor way his playing time was handled.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement