Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Just looking there, Pogba only signed a 4 year contract when signing for Juve. It's probably the reason they are willing to at least entertain bids as his salary is only £10K a week so surely he has been offered higher wages on a longer term contract. That would have happened after season one I am sure and the fact he is still on the original contract surely means he refused to sign (all conjecture of course). so Juve have three choices:

1. Pay him the salary on a par that his supposed £60M value entails
    2. Let him wind down his contract whilst getting value by his contributions on the pitch whilst seeing his market value dwindle or
    3. Sell him now and maximize their profit

Also giving his agents form, Juve probably got wind of the agent talking to other clubs. Fergie did claim this happened at United so maybe for once he was telling the truth about the player and not just spinning to make United look better.

Just realised I have too much time on my hands today

pogba was on 10k a week 2012 but 70k a week 2014

Robson99 wrote: »
    Pique?? a F**K up or never made the grade???

pique got homesick and barca made a move to take him home for 7m so fergie agreed. rio and vidic were there as well so was never going to budge them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

bangkok wrote: »

Has he signed? Can't see it online, except this offer:

http://www.football-italia.net/43630/juve-hike-pogba%E2%80%99s-wage-but%E2%80%A6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2/10. Luck wasn't on my side with the guesses. Don't know anything about United in the 80's.

Glory Hunter :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

pique got homesick and barca made a move to take him home for 7m so fergie agreed. rio and vidic were there as well so was never going to budge them

Ferguson sold him because he preferred Evans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Bangkok obvious getting his facts from his brother in Turin. It is Turin he's in isn't it?

If anyone was in any doubt how little you knew you really confirmed it this afternoon.

Killed it. Well played.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bangkok obvious getting his facts from his brother in Turin. It is Turin he's in isn't it?

If anyone was in any doubt how little you knew you really confirmed it this afternoon.

Killed it. Well played.

cheers

glued wrote: »
    Ferguson sold him because he preferred Evans.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/11/16/gerrard-pique-reveals-why-he-left-manchester-united-for-barcelona/

fergie also said in his book he got homesick

It was wildly reported at the time that Ferguson sold him becuase he didn't think Evans and Pique could both develop in the one side. I'm 99% certain of that

It was wildly reported at the time that Ferguson sold him becuase he didn't think Evans and Pique could both develop in the one side. I'm 99% certain of that

im 100% sure he got homesick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

The amount of ridiculous posts over the last few pages is hilarious. Everyone is an expert now looking back at decisions made years ago :rolleyes:

Was hardly a big decision selling Pique over Evans. Evans was a year younger, had a great season on loan at Sunderland and would be much more likely to be staying at united for his career. Pique had done well away on loan with Zaragoza and would always have been likely to return to Spain at some stage.

Neither of these players were ever going to replace Rio or Vidic at the time so obviously one of them was going to go. Easy decision.

Just checked on transfermarket http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-pogba/profil/spieler/122153 and it seems his contract is up in 2 years so he is still on his original 4 year, £10K a week wage.

It could well be the source of the speculation. Everyone is reporting that United have (they don't) £200M to spend and have a weak midfield. Thus Pogba's agent could be using this to gain higher wages for his client.

Or Juve could be seeing that the player and agent has form in this area and want to call their bluff to see if he will sign a new contract or just sell him now as next season the player is on his last year of the contract.

Modern day football in a nutshell it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I can see Pogba developing into another Anelka, and engineering big money moves every few years for the big signing on fees. Wouldn't be surprised to see him try and run down his contract at Juve and sign for Barca/Real in 2 years.

paulbok wrote: »
    I can see Pogba developing into another Anelka, and engineering big money moves every few years for the big signing on fees. Wouldn't be surprised to see him try and run down his contract at Juve and sign for Barca/Real in 2 years.

Exactly. Play the long game and take the signing on fees, improved contracts every time. It's made Anelka a very wealthy man as the only time he ever put a transfer request in (thus losing a signing on fee) was from Bolton to Chelsea if I remember correctly. its a pity as Anelka should be remembered as being one of the best strikers of his generation, rather than a money grabbing mercenary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

zerks wrote: »
    Chill out with this quiz,I got 7/10 - I got the 3 'easiest' ones wrong.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-quiz-80s-7245783

Whoo hoo 6/10 where's me prize

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

zerks wrote: »
    Chill out with this quiz,I got 7/10 - I got the 3 'easiest' ones wrong.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-quiz-80s-7245783

5/10, 2 I knew and 3 guesses :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just checked on transfermarket http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-pogba/profil/spieler/122153 and it seems his contract is up in 2 years so he is still on his original 4 year, £10K a week wage.

It could well be the source of the speculation. Everyone is reporting that United have (they don't) £200M to spend and have a weak midfield. Thus Pogba's agent could be using this to gain higher wages for his client.

Or Juve could be seeing that the player and agent has form in this area and want to call their bluff to see if he will sign a new contract or just sell him now as next season the player is on his last year of the contract.

Modern day football in a nutshell it seems.

Yep Pogba signed a contract that offered a lower salary than the one united offered. He wanted out mainly due to playing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Got 7/10 on the United in the 80s quiz too, even though I was only alive for half the decade. :pac:

I only really knew 3 or 4 answers and went with a gut instinct for the rest. Not bad all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

xtal191 wrote: »
    Scholes Video

First take I bet....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm just looking forward to the WC getting started.

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm just looking forward to the WC getting started.

I like football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

WC is still Big Daddy but Euros as a competition is better quality.

Not complaining though should be v good and interesting where it's very open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Euro 2012 was awful. I've much preferred the past two World Cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Euros doesn't hold a candle to the WC for me. The South American, African, & even other teams like Japan, Oz, & USA have quality that makes it more of a spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Euros are better quailty but the world cup throws up better individual games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Euros won't be as high quality any more when increased to 24 teams. Even Ireland might qualify!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Euro 2016 is the first of the diluted Euro Championships, World Cup is the best from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

More ****ty games at the WC but it holds more interest generally because of the likes of Brazil and Argentina being involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Jamie Jackson going with a sit on the fence story regarding interest on Sanchez, not much on it but I wonder has he been briefed in some way?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

dahat wrote: »
    Jamie Jackson going with a sit on the fence story regarding interest on Sanchez, not much on it but I wonder has he been briefed in some way?

Doubt it.

He is paid to write stories about the Manchester clubs.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Doubt it.

He is paid to write stories about the Manchester clubs.

Yes but had thought he was one of the closer ones to the club, open to correction on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Mueller has apparently just extended his Contract at Bayern for another 2 years to 2019. So that should bring his rumours to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The Jackson article on Sanchez is a strange one. He normally doesn't have such little information in his article, and has been spot on recently, he normally is. I wonder has he been told that there is a genuine interest, and is just relaying that information, or if there is nothing to report and his keyboard is getting cobwebs. Hopefully it is the former.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

dahat wrote: »
    Yes but had thought he was one of the closer ones to the club, open to correction on that

I figured as he was so non committal he was just writing something for lack of anything else. We heard the story a few days ago from Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I figured as he was so non committal he was just writing something for lack of anything else. We heard the story a few days ago from Italy.
    Indeed. I haven't read this article, but such articles are usually just a reiteration of known stuff completed with a headline that gets clicks. It's all about clicks you know...

DubDani wrote: »
    Mueller has apparently just extended his Contract at Bayern for another 2 years to 2019. So that should bring his rumours to an end.

Kroos may get one if Schwestaiger goes but I do believe one of those two will leave Bayern this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mandzukic has said he will definitely be leaving Bayern so Bayern will most certainly not be letting Muller leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

van Nistelrooy had peaked. The knee injury he got in 04/05 slowed him and the team was moving on from that style of play anyway. Saha was better at the time than Rossi and then Tevez came the season after. We became the best team in Europe. It's impossible to successfully develop each and every one of your players, there are going to be failures through mistakes of coaching or players not getting the time because of the alternatives. Rossi wasn't going to improve the team by going into it in 05/06. Or the season after. Or the season after. So you're looking at 08/09 as the earliest stage that he could have been a first-teamer, or competing for a place if we hadn't bought Berbatov. Of course, this is all presuming that he'd be happy to go out on loan for that length of time and developed well, or as well as he did, then came back and wanted a first-team place with us. Rossi wasn't a mistake. Neither was Pique, while we're here, for much the same reasons.

I think Rossi would have been better for United than Tevez, Saha was always injured, not difficult to find him some gametime. Forlan left and showed he was a superstar when played consistently, Rossi has shown that too though I suppose he has had some bad injuries too. There was definitely a place for him at the time, otherwise Tevez wouldn't have been signed in the first place, Rossi would have been good in both the short term and the long term. Really irked me when he left.

The Star saying United have agreed a 24 mill deal for Miranda.

Probably bs but that's a lot for a 29 year old.

Edit - old article from may so it was bs. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Who will be 30 in September.

That said he's only played roughly 290 games in his career at senior level so he may well play well into his 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Dont know if there's any legitimacy in this but in regards of the price tag, i'd say we better start getting used to paying a s**t ton of my money for players as we really are desperate at this stage. Miranda still has a good couple of years left in him i say so wouldnt be a bad signing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Liam O wrote: »
    I think Rossi would have been better for United than Tevez, Saha was always injured, not difficult to find him some gametime. Forlan left and showed he was a superstar when played consistently, Rossi has shown that too though I suppose he has had some bad injuries too. There was definitely a place for him at the time, otherwise Tevez wouldn't have been signed in the first place, Rossi would have been good in both the short term and the long term. Really irked me when he left.

I'll just say 'Mark Bosnich' and let you join the rest of the dots yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It’s no secret that Inter’s Mateo Kovacic is widely regarded as one of the most talented young players in world football. In light of this Corriere dello Sport brings the news that the Nerazzurri have turned down three substantial offers for their prized asset. Shakhtar were first to move with an offer believed to be in the region of €30 million and more recently both Manchester United and Liverpool have entered the bidding. Inter have remained firm though and have no intention of selling the dynamic Croatian international.

Source: Corriere dello Sport

Source: http://www.sempreinter.com/2014/06/09/cds-kovacic-not-for-sale-three-offers-rejected/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Here lads I recorded the cycling there today and threw it on there and the end of the previous show is on it....Fabian Barthez is a car racing driver now, drives competively too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

ericzeking wrote: »
    Here lads I recorded the cycling there today and threw it on there and the end of the previous show is on it....Fabian Barthez is a car racing driver now, drives competively too

He won the French GT Championship recently, and will be in the Le Mans 24hr this year..... He's apparently gotten a lot better at dealing with corners.

I don't think anyone was blameless, especially Pogba and his agent. But I would agree Fergie has to shoulder some of the blame for the poor way his playing time was handled.

I don't really see how Pogba deserves any blame. He was a young kid who was clearly light years ahead of the competition in the reserves. Ferguson gave him next to no game time so what was he to do? Ferguson even tried Rafael in midfield ahead of Pogba. What was Pogba to do? Trust Ferguson to play him "when he was ready"? Pogba clearly was ready and has shown that for Juventus. I'd put 99% of the blame at Ferguson's door on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't really see how Pogba deserves any blame. He was a young kid who was clearly light years ahead of the competition in the reserves. Ferguson gave him next to no game time so what was he to do? Ferguson even tried Rafael in midfield ahead of Pogba. What was Pogba to do? Trust Ferguson to play him "when he was ready"? Pogba clearly was ready and has shown that for Juventus. I'd put 99% of the blame at Ferguson's door on this one.
    He'd have played more if he wasn't acting up and wanting a payoff from Juve. Fergie wanted him to commit to the club and wouldn't pay him off to do so, he wasn't going to help develop a player who had euro signs in his eyes and wouldn't be sticking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

He hadnt shown this world beating form at United though. He had actually been poor in most of the games he actually got played in.
    And remember Fergie actually offered him a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Timmyctc wrote: »
    He hadnt shown this world beating form at United though. He had actually been poor in most of the games he actually got played in.
    And remember Fergie actually offered him a contract.

Too many actuallys in this post. Actually.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement