Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Leftist wrote: »
    ridiculous price at his age and in his condition.

For 2 players? Sanchez 20-25 and Schweinsteiger at 15 - 20. I'd see that as a decent bit of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

stankratz wrote: »
    That 2nd clip - Jesus Titty-Fúcking Christ!!! :eek:

The control in the first is brilliant, the first touch.

The second is an example of what he can do in a fluid forward system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Nani is another player who over the last few years struggled under out rigid slow play. He was very good years ago when we played quick attacking football. Kagawa has struggled under it and so has Mata since he arrived. I think a fluid positive system under LVG will bring out the best of those three.

Another player whose development was in spite of Ferguson tbh.

Have always been a detractor but expect him to be superb under LVG.

beno619 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was posted, but David Gill calling for Blatter to resign.
    Surely he wont last another year ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/10/fas-david-gill-walks-out-of-fifa-meeting-in-brazil-calls-for-sepp-blatter-to-resign_n_5480198.html

He is due to announce today if he is going to go for a fifth term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

duffman13 wrote: »
    For 2 players? Sanchez 20-25 and Schweinsteiger at 15 - 20. I'd see that as a decent bit of business

oh, misread. thought it was just the pig farmer.

then yes, definitely please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

kryogen wrote: »
    He is due to announce today if he is going to go for a fifth term.

Makes me sad that a cretin like himself has managed 4 terms at the helm of World Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

keane2097 wrote: »
    Another player whose development was in spite of Ferguson tbh.

Have always been a detractor but expect him to be superb under LVG.

To be honest the whole attitude from United has changed in recent years. It's a far cry from the quick attacking football. You can see this when people dislike Nani because he takes risks and attacks, but they defend Valencia because he tracks back well. Really sums up the club in recent years where people prefer a winger who tracks back well. It's an attitude you expect from a mid table club.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Makes me sad that a cretin like himself has managed 4 terms at the helm of World Football.

Doesn't appear to be too many in the higher parts of the organisation who you would root for though in fairness. If they are not being investigated for giving bribes they are being investigated for taking them :)

the organisation is in need of a face lift and in need of some big changes in the coming years, Blatter or no Blatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Platini is probably worse than Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It should be like the U.S presidency. 2 terms and then you're out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

To be honest the whole attitude from United has changed in recent years. It's a far cry from the quick attacking football. You can see this when people dislike Nani because he takes risks and attacks, but they defend Valencia because he tracks back well. Really sums up the club in recent years where people prefer a winger who tracks back well. It's an attitude you expect from a mid table club.

Valencia two seasons ago not only tracked back well but was taking on players and creating a lot of goals, chances. This was compared to Nani who'd take the ball and dribble into trouble, falling in a heap complaining. Nani is most definitely the more talented of the two, but he wasn't consistent and when he had a nightmare it really showed.

I use 2 seasons ago as timeline for comparison because Nani was basically out for the whole of the season and Valencia was shocking. Not a true reflection of either of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It should be like the U.S presidency. 2 terms and then you're out.

From what I read this morning UEFA are pushing for term and age limits for the FIFA presidency.

Valencia two seasons ago not only tracked back well but was taking on players and creating a lot of goals, chances. This was compared to Nani who'd take the ball and dribble into trouble, falling in a heap complaining. Nani is most definitely the more talented of the two, but he wasn't consistent and when he had a nightmare it really showed.

I use 2 seasons ago as timeline for comparison because Nani was basically out for the whole of the season and Valencia was shocking. Not a true reflection of either of them.

So, a Nani debate...................

All I will say (as it has all been said before!) is that Nani tracks back and does his defensive duty as much as any other attacking winger out there, he is one of the only genuine match winners in our squad and when he has been played he has produced, consistently. He is not lazy, he is not just a diver, he is not a waster who always gives the ball away and his attitude is by all accounts (and contrary to popular internet lore) very good.

He is a brilliant offensive weapon and when used correctly he is devastating. Looking forward to seeing how he does under LVG, he really could flourish again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

glued wrote: »
    Platini is probably worse than Blatter.

Really don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

All I will say (as it has all been said before!) is that Nani tracks back and does his defensive duty as much as any other attacking winger out there, he is one of the only genuine match winners in our squad and when he has been played he has produced, consistently. He is not lazy, he is not just a diver, he is not a waster who always gives the ball away and his attitude is by all accounts (and contrary to popular internet lore) very good.

He is a brilliant offensive weapon and when used correctly he is devastating. Looking forward to seeing how he does under LVG, he really could flourish again.

Ferguson clearly did have some major malfunction with him though. Wonder what it was really.

LVG will love him I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

From what I read this morning UEFA are pushing for term and age limits for the FIFA presidency.

Given that the bulk of the money in football is in Europe, the UEFA nations could nearly just break away from FIFA and then wink seductively at the rest of the federations. Put an end to this crap once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Giggs and Beckham were regarded as 2 of the best wingers in the game at their peaks and one of the main praises they got was the amount of tracking back they did as well as going forward. It should be expected for a winger in 4 man midfield to be tracking back and helping out his fullback. Nani does track back anyway and puts in his share defensively, Valencia is just better at defending. I wouldn't criticize either of them for their defensive work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Giggs and Beckham were regarded as 2 of the best wingers in the game at their peaks and one of the main praises they got was the amount of tracking back they did as well as going forward. It should be expected for a winger in 4 man midfield to be tracking back and helping out his fullback. Nani does track back anyway and puts in his share defensively, Valencia is just better at defending. I wouldn't criticize either of them for their defensive work rate.

Valencia was bailed out two seasons ago because Rafael was so good going forward people overlooked how poor he was going forward. Last season with Rafael not playing consistently we offered nothing down the right side with Valencia. He is a winger who can't attack it should not be tolerated at United.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Ferguson clearly did have some major malfunction with him though. Wonder what it was really.

LVG will love him I'd say

Who knows really with Fergie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

How often has Nani exercised that match winning ability in the last few seasons... very rarely. I don't deride him for laziness or an inability to track back, it's his decision making that's his main failing, he's got the physical attributes to succeed but it's the choices that he makes that leaves people frustrated and annoyed

IrishIrish wrote: »

Anytime people tell me how good Valencia is at defending I always get a flash of all the times the season just gone where he was shockingly bad defensively :)

How often has Nani exercised that match winning ability in the last few seasons... very rarely. I don't deride him for laziness or an inability to track back, it's his decision making that's his main failing, he's got the physical attributes to succeed but it's the choices that he makes that leaves people frustrated and annoyed

I have said all I will say about it. Suffice to say we are in dis agreement anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

How often has Nani exercised that match winning ability in the last few seasons... very rarely.

That is completely true. It's also true to ask how many times has Ribery exercised that that match winning ability for United in the last few seasons ... and to conclude - zero times. Maybe you can work out why Nani has done it very rarely for United in the last few seasons and Ribery hasn't done it for United at all.

Just off topic again.

Blatters just gone off talking about an intergalactic cup when other planets start playing football one day. The man is an absolute spoofer :pac:

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just off topic again.

Blatters just gone off talking about an intergalactic cup when other planets start playing football one day. The man is an absolute spoofer :pac:

He is looking to stand again, I can see him getting beat this time though. There is pretty open and vocal opposition to it from some high ranking guys. They should be able to buy more votes then him if they all get together and get behind one candidate. That is the tricky part of course

• Advertisement

• Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just off topic again.

He should just save face at this stage and step down. Football has changed and he fails to change.

His response in relation to goal line technology is another thing that pisses me off, he spent years pricking around then he finally u-turns 2 years ago and says it a necessity.

Trying to push Qater under the rug as-well. He's corrupt as fook.

Rant over.

Who would people like to see in as president? Or is it just a case of not wanting Blatter anymore? Honestly I can't find a candidate there who I think would be much better then him, not to say I am a fan of his either.

Who would people like to see in as president? Or is it just a case of not wanting Blatter anymore? Honestly I can't find a candidate there who I think would be much better then him, not to say I am a fan of his either.

The whole top level of the organisation needs cleansed. Burn the lot of them I say and appoint ShadowComplex leader of the organisation. Two weeks into the job he'd form several "super teams" amalgamated from different players who have been linked to United.

I disagree, i think anyone would be a better candidate. I think Platini would be the best of a bad bunch. No outstanding candidates but I could see David Gill in the role in 5-10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2655115/Manchester-United-launch-whopping-56m-bid-PSG-striker-Edinson-Cavani.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Manchester United have made a £56million bid for Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani, according to reports in Italy.
    Daily newspaper Tuttosport report that Cavani, who spent six years in Italy with Palermo and Napoli, is top of new United manager Louis van Gaal's wishlist.

....f**k off!

Monumental waste of money.

Hopefully it is crap - have no idea how we'd go about fitting him into the side, and it would drain money from areas we need serious investment in (CENTRAL MIDFIELD)

• Advertisement

• Does anybody remember the South-Park Episode where there was essentially a load of fish in a tank picking out some sort of idea balls at random. I think this is what happens at the Daily-Fail conference meetings.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the South-Park Episode where there was essentially a load of fish in a tank picking out some sort of idea balls at random. I think this is what happens at the Daily-Fail conference meetings.

In fairness, Daily Mail aren't claiming the story, it is from Tuttosport. So it would be Tuttosport making it up, if it has been made up.

Also, it was the cartoon wars trilogy - family guy was the cartoon put together by manatees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2655115/Manchester-United-launch-whopping-56m-bid-PSG-striker-Edinson-Cavani.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

....f**k off!

Monumental waste of money.

Hopefully it is crap - have no idea how we'd go about fitting him into the side, and it would drain money from areas we need serious investment in (CENTRAL MIDFIELD)

Not sure why you react like that for daily mail articles. I don't think anyone even care or believe what they publish.

In fairness, Daily Mail aren't claiming the story, it is from Tuttosport. So it would be Tuttosport making it up, if it has been made up.

Also, it was the cartoon wars trilogy - family guy was the cartoon put together by manatees.

Tuttosport is even worse.

duffman13 wrote: »
    I disagree, i think anyone would be a better candidate. I think Platini would be the best of a bad bunch. No outstanding candidates but I could see David Gill in the role in 5-10 years

Why do you think so? Flesh it out a little for me?

Why do you think Platini would be better?

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not sure why you react like that for daily mail articles. I don't think anyone even care or believe what they publish.

because people I do trust say Woodward has a hard-on for signing a 'superstar' and Cavani/PSG have been spoken to about this, A LOT, so United moving for Cavani would not in the least surprise me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Only noticed the other day that Mitch Connor is from a South Park episode on series 7, is that where you got the name from? was a funny episode.

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Tuttosport is even worse.

I think we should start calling Tuttosport & Daily-Fail the tabloid 'manatees' from now on :pac:

If it is in anyway true I can see RVP or more likely Rooney getting turfed. Cavani is so similar to Rooney, hard working and often gets chucked out wide. Really makes little sense, is it this bad with woeful speculation every year or is this as a result of a terrible season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Terrible season, top class manager coming in and the club running the PR gauntlet saying they have all this money to spend to 'fix the wrongs' from last season. It's a perfect storm of BS coming from the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

because people I do trust say Woodward has a hard-on for signing a 'superstar' and Cavani/PSG have been spoken to about this, A LOT, so United moving for Cavani would not in the least surprise me.

This is what has me wondering why he didn't just press on and sign either Kroos or particularly Fabregas since we went in for him last Summer.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    This is what has me wondering why he didn't just press on and sign either Kroos or particularly Fabregas since we went in for him last Summer.
    apparently didn't see Kroos as a marquee signing, Fabregas I don't know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wait, is the story changing? I thought he had Kroos wrapped up and LVG pulled the plug on it?

Wait, is the story changing? I thought he had Kroos wrapped up and LVG pulled the plug on it?

The f**k are you at me about now?

1. imo Kroos was all but done.
    2. Woodward, from what i'm told, doesn't/didn't see Kroos as marquee signing.

The two things can be mutually exclusive, and not put together to have a shot at me over. I also think United had all but done a deal for Carvalho, doesn't mean I think United/Woodward sawhim as a marquee signing either.

Bale, Ronaldo and Cavani, three players I believe United have moved for in Woodwards search for a superstar signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mame Biram Diouf has joined Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The two things can be mutually exclusive, and not put together to have a shot at me over. I also think United had all but done a deal for Carvalho, doesn't mean I think United/Woodward sawhim as a marquee signing either.

Bale, Ronaldo and Cavani, three players I believe United have moved for in Woodwards search for a superstar signing.

This nugget always gets me when I'm reading the various transfer rumour stuff, I just love it when posters throw that one in...love it I tell you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

He should f*** off looking for a marquee signing and just sign the players we need that he is told to sign. Stop looking at Cavani ffs!

KH25 wrote: »
    He should f*** off looking for a marquee signing and just sign the players we need that he is told to sign. Stop looking at Cavani ffs!

exactly my opinion.

Fair enough, believe what you will. I believe LVG decided against kroos

I hope your source is consistent with the news..

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I hope your source is consistent with the news..

Daniel Taylor would probably have the best relationship of any journo with Woodward, so I'd take heed of everything he says.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement