Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The f**k are you at me about now?

1. imo Kroos was all but done.
    2. Woodward, from what i'm told, doesn't/didn't see Kroos as marquee signing.

The two things can be mutually exclusive, and not put together to have a shot at me over. I also think United had all but done a deal for Carvalho, doesn't mean I think United/Woodward sawhim as a marquee signing either.

Ah jeez, I wasn't taking a personal shot. I barely even registered who made the post.

A question was asked "Why did Woodward not push on with the transfer of Kroos?"

The answered supplied was "Woodward doesn't see him as a marquee signing."

And I replied in a manner to suggest that was NOT why Woodward didn't push through the signing....hardly me flaming you or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

exactly my opinion.

This is what worries me about Woodward. He seems to want to make a statement with transfers, hence Mata and the amount paid. If I'm right it could also explain the chasing after Fabregas only to desperately overpay for Fellaini on deadline day.

If he really wants to make a statement, he should just buy the players we need. The club winning is all the statement necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

if an accountant is calling the shots on our transfers and picking out his own "marquee signings" we might as well pack it in altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Daniel Taylor would probably have the best relationship of any journo with Woodward, so I'd take heed of everything he says.

I would say Andy Mitten is very well connected with Woodward and all the ManUtd news, shame he doesn't write as much as other journos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I would say Andy Mitten is very well connected with Woodward and all the ManUtd news, shame he doesn't write as much as other journos.

Woodward would be friendlier with him than other fanzine editors, wouldn't be surprised if Mitten has spoken to Woodward in the last year or so regarding certain deals and info.

Taylor though, imo, would be far more likely to be having a sit down meal with Woodward than Mitten would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

bangkok wrote: »
    if an accountant is calling the shots on our transfers and picking out his own "marquee signings" we might as well pack it in altogether

Good thing there isn't an accountant doing anything of the sort at United. I have absolutely no idea why you have made this baseless assertion that United have mistakenly appointed an accountant as Director of Football at the club. x

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Good thing there isn't an accountant doing anything of the sort at United. I have absolutely no idea why you have made this baseless assertion that United have mistakenly appointed an accountant as Director of Football at the club. x

what are you on about?? director of football??!!!

ed woodward is a British accountant and the current executive vice-chairman of Manchester United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Same ol Mitch anyway moaning at articles appearing in the Daily Mail. At least you never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ed woodward is a British accountant and the current executive vice-chairman of Manchester United

He's implying you think Woodward is the director of football, as you seem to think he's in charge of transfers for some reason.

• 1830429.jpg

• Advertisement

He's implying you think Woodward is the director of football, as you seem to think he's in charge of transfers for some reason.

no I said "IF" he is calling the shots..... as in people were saying HE wanted a marquee signing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Player travels to Europe as he works to secure Manchester United transfer
    Yesterday we brought you an exclusive from our very own Lucas Sposito in Sao Paulo. A source close to young Brazilian forward Bruno Gomes had contacted him to explain that Manchester United were back in for the player.

Not so long ago it looked almost a matter of time before Bruno Gomes became a Manchester United player. The young footballer was repeatedly speaking to fans of the club on twitter and encouraging the idea that he'd make a move to Old Trafford soon enough.

It wasn't just a pipe dream, Bruno Gomes had been to Old Trafford to train and was very highly regraded. However, a repeat visit didn't materialise and an Italian passport he'd been seeking, to help with a work permit, didn't happen either.

Manchester United's interest seemed to cool and Bruno Gomes joined Internacional in Brazil. We've been told that Manchester United are now interested again, and the player himself is very keen for the transfer to happen, feeling it's his destiny. In addition he's travelling to Italy this week to help get an Italian passport, which would aid a transfer. This doesn't mean a transfer will certainly happen, but if Louis van Gaal wants it o then it wouldn't be difficult to complete.

Manchester United have a purchase option of £3m, whereas other European clubs could be forced to pay up to his general clause of €40m.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/player-travels-to-europe-as-he-works-to-secure-manchester-united-

no I said "IF" he is calling the shots..... as in people were saying HE wanted a marquee signing

There's no point saying "if" though, because he's definitely not. LvG wouldn't be standing for any of that sh!te, yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Woodward would be friendlier with him than other fanzine editors, wouldn't be surprised if Mitten has spoken to Woodward in the last year or so regarding certain deals and info.

Taylor though, imo, would be far more likely to be having a sit down meal with Woodward than Mitten would.

I don't think Mitten will have any access to Woodward after the rubbish Mitten released after their last interview.

Okay so hes he Executive Vice Chairman of United so. Not just an accountant in the place of DoF xxoxoxo

because people I do trust say Woodward has a hard-on for signing a 'superstar' and Cavani/PSG have been spoken to about this, A LOT, so United moving for Cavani would not in the least surprise me.

this is why I said "IF" woodward is calling the shots on transfers.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Player travels to Europe as he works to secure Manchester United transfer

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/player-travels-to-europe-as-he-works-to-secure-manchester-united-

Buy the player for 3mill, instantly sell him for 23mill, 20mill profit :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Buy the player for 3mill, instantly sell him for 23mill, 20mill profit :cool:

You can't do that though, can you? Isn't there a rule about that, or am I imagining things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

You can't do that though, can you? Isn't there a rule about that, or am I imagining things?

Buy player for 3mill, sell him for 33mill, 30mill profit. use 10mill to sway the rules. :cool::cool: 20mill profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bebe says no

bebe.jpg

Think the player just can't play for three clubs in a calendar year which scuppers the instant profit thing. But you can always just do what Chelsea did with de Bruyne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Buy player for 3mill, sell him for 33mill, 30mill profit. use 10mill to sway the rules. :cool::cool: 20mill profit.

It is the FIFA way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bruno Gomes for £3 million would be excellent, he is hyped as the next Neymar.
    Real Madrid are suppose to be keeping tabs on him too.

Buy and sell to Real Madrid in 7 years for £180 million :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd almost guarantee we aren't signing Cavani. And if we do then LvG will probably resign instantly.

Also, we won't be signing any first team players for at least a month (unless the Shaw deal gets finalised when England are out).

Breaking news -

I had a cup of tea. It was nice.

The last thing I'll say on this - LVG is the manager. The club should buy the targets that HE wants. We do not have a DOF. It should be the manager's choice as to who we buy. IF Woodward wants to buy a player like Cavani that the manager doesn't want, and goes ahead and buys him anyway, he should not be our Chief Executive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Haven't dropped by in a few days lads and ladies - any developments on well anything??

irishfeen wrote: »
    Haven't dropped by in a few days lads and ladies - any developments on well anything??

Bombleswizzum's cup of tea is about as exciting as it has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Bombleswizzum had a cup of tea, it was nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Breaking news -

Barrys or Lyons?

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Bombleswizzum's cup of tea is about as exciting as it has been.
    s8n wrote: »
    Bombleswizzum had a cup of tea, it was nice
    Barry's I presume?? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Breaking news -

We'll have to wait for the club's confirmation of that.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Barrys or Lyons?

Ty-phoo actually, ran out of Lyons so on the backup for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

FatherTed wrote: »
    We'll have to wait for the club's confirmation of that.

I won't believe it until I see a picture of him standing next to LvG or Woodward, holding up the tea bag.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah lads, I've heard LVG prefers coffee to tea myself. ****ing Woodward screwing up again....

Has anyone reliable said we’re trying to buy Sanchez yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Ah lads, I've heard LVG prefers coffee to tea myself. ****ing Woodward screwing up again....
    Someone I trust told me that he actually prefers that fancy raspberry and pomegranite tea. Or so I've been told.

Ty-phoo actually, ran out of Lyons so on the backup for now.
    "Typhoo Tae" ... What the hell has your life come to lad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Has anyone reliable said we’re trying to buy Sanchez yet?

Check your Tea Leaves! B as reliable as twitter anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

glued wrote: »
    I don't think Mitten will have any access to Woodward after the rubbish Mitten released after their last interview.

Read the interview and I thought Woodward came across very well. Really have no idea what you are talking about.

Seriously, can you please expand in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Barry's I presume?? ;)

Whats this about Gareth Barry signing for United for £2 million?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Whats this about Gareth Barry signing for United for £2 million?

No Woodward signed Barry's tea as our tea sponsor for 2 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Hococop wrote: »
    No Woodward signed Barry's tea as our tea sponsor for 2 million

Is that like the time we had Lee Sharpe and Sharpe as the jersey sponsor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Is that like the time we had Lee Sharpe and Sharpe as the jersey sponsor?

Ya except it was Sharpe and Sharp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Rio on BBC1 World Cup preview panel just now for anyone who's interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Looks like Rooney and Scholesy never really saw eye to eye (a nothing story really but interesting intro about Moyes last summer) :
    “He was a great player at Man United, but I’ve never had his phone number and he’s never had mine,” Rooney says. “I’m sure he’s upset a lot of people at Man United because they see me as worthy of signing a new [five-year] deal at the club, so they obviously have a different opinion to Paul. But you’ll have to ask him. I don’t agree with what he’s said. Whether they are valid comments or not, you’ll have to ask him.”

From here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/wayne-rooney-england-italy-world-cup-2014?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Looks like Rooney and Scholesy never really saw eye to eye (a nothing story really but interesting intro about Moyes last summer) :

From here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/wayne-rooney-england-italy-world-cup-2014?CMP=twt_gu

Scholes would have being better off staying well clear of that joke PP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Scholes would have being better off staying well clear of that joke PP.

I for one am delighted to hear as much as possible from Scholes whatever the medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

keane2097 wrote: »
    I for one am delighted to hear as much as possible from Scholes whatever the medium.

I agree but would much rather see him somewhere else.

Would rather him somewhere else alright but its great to hear from him. He's so deadpan and talks straight. People were giving off about PP saying they make a joke of our club and all this whiney crap and were very OTT. Paddy power made (And make) **** and repetitive jokes about whatever club or player that is struggling just happened to be us last year. No reason Scholes should stay away from them because we were the buttof the joke. Maybe just because they are awful at telling the jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Manchester United value: at least $11 billion based on the sale of the LA Clippers.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2265043-if-the-clippers-are-worth-2-billion-then-manchester-united-is-worth-at-least-11-billion
    former Microsoft CEO, Steve Ballmer bought the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion dollars pending approval from Donald Sterling.

Goes onto say:
    Since the pending sale of Clippers, the value of some of the NBA's hallmark franchises has skyrocketed. According to Business Insider, The New York Knicks went from an estimated previous value of $1.4 billion to $4.87 billion. The Los Angeles Lakers went from $1.35 billion to $4.70 billion. The Chicago Bulls went from $1 billion to $3.48 billion. The Boston Celtics went from $880 million to $3.04 billion. And the list goes on. If these sports franchises increased that much in value, then Manchester United's, a franchise that was already valued higher than all of these NBA teams, value must have gone up astronomically. The Knicks' value increased by almost 3.5 billion dollars. So Manchester United, which was previously valued at 3.165 billion more than 2.25 times the previous value of the Knicks at 1.4 billion, must now be worth a little over 11 billion dollars. This $11 billion was calculated by taking the Knicks 3.5 billion dollar valuation increase and multiplying it by 2.25 (the multiple at which Manchester United was previously valued over the Knicks) and then adding that number to the club's past value of $3.165 billion. I believe this $11 billion dollar valuation is justified factoring in soccer's popularity, greater seating capacity, extremely lucrative sponsorship deals, the franchises worldwide brand and historical success.

When Seeking Alpha does a positive article on a stock, it usually rises.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement