Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Source
    "I'm not a player who needs [to win] individual awards like Cristiano Ronaldo," Rooney said. "He has to have that and you admire him for that.

"I'm more about winning things as a team. You can see how he is. He wants his moments. It's more important for me to win trophies as a team.

and wages Wayne. Don't forget wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

TheTownie wrote: »
    Source

and wages Wayne. Don't forget wages.

Rooney really needs to shut up. Trying to make himself to be all in it for the team is cringeworthy coming from a man who threatened to leave the team for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Be a good lad for the team there Wayne and sit on the bench, you overpaid shít-number 10, you. Either he plays up front alone or not at all imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

KH25 wrote: »
    Rooney really needs to shut up. Trying to make himself to be all in it for the team is cringeworthy coming from a man who threatened to leave the team for City.

In fairness though, you can see this from his demeanor on the pitch. He could score two goals in a match and if United aren't winning he'll still look pissed off. There's a lot of things I don't particularly like about Rooney, but when he's on the pitch he's 100% in it for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He's SO led by his agent it's sad to see.

It's been unbearably noticable in the last 18 months how he's trying to turn himself into a stateman like figure in terms of giving more and more interviews and speaking out, no doubt being guided that it will help him become captain material, and for him being able to capitalise on it in marketing his brand.

Sorry, but he's an outragously dull and non interesting personality. He should just be keeping his head down and figure a way to be consistent throughout an entire season.

Previously it was public and media pressure mounting on him, as he admits then mounting the pressure on himself. He's talking a good talk going into this tournament, but I'm sure he's feeling pressure again. For the first time in probably his career, there are serious questions about wether or not he is good enough to start for England.

While I think it's absolute rubbish, and momentum coming from Liverpool fans pushing for Sterling and certain journalists unable to get out of this Liverpool love affair, Rooney really does need to do something. It's pretty shocking for a player of his ilk to have NO goals in a tournament of this calibre.

I'm fascinated at the prospect of LVG handling him, I've genuinelly no clue what is going to happen. But as the Cavani rumours simply won't go away, makes me wonder if LVG just doesn't rate him. Big conclusion to make based on nothing, but the tone of "Rooney not good enough" ahead of this World Cup is mental.

In fairness though, you can see this from his demeanor on the pitch. He could score two goals in a match and if United aren't winning he'll still look pissed off. There's a lot of things I don't particularly like about Rooney, but when he's on the pitch he's 100% in it for the team.

He tries hard, yeah. Not disputing that. But the fact is he handed in a transfer request and threatened to go to City. That was all about Rooney wanting his own way. The team had nothing to do with it. So for him to come out and say that stuff about winning as a team is laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

• TheDoc wrote: »
    He's SO led by his agent it's sad to see.

It's been unbearably noticable in the last 18 months how he's trying to turn himself into a stateman like figure in terms of giving more and more interviews and speaking out, no doubt being guided that it will help him become captain material, and for him being able to capitalise on it in marketing his brand.

Sorry, but he's an outragously dull and non interesting personality. He should just be keeping his head down and figure a way to be consistent throughout an entire season.

Previously it was public and media pressure mounting on him, as he admits then mounting the pressure on himself. He's talking a good talk going into this tournament, but I'm sure he's feeling pressure again. For the first time in probably his career, there are serious questions about wether or not he is good enough to start for England.

While I think it's absolute rubbish, and momentum coming from Liverpool fans pushing for Sterling and certain journalists unable to get out of this Liverpool love affair, Rooney really does need to do something. It's pretty shocking for a player of his ilk to have NO goals in a tournament of this calibre.

I'm fascinated at the prospect of LVG handling him, I've genuinelly no clue what is going to happen. But as the Cavani rumours simply won't go away, makes me wonder if LVG just doesn't rate him. Big conclusion to make based on nothing, but the tone of "Rooney not good enough" ahead of this World Cup is mental.

He can go and do all the outspoken Captain material crap all he likes, in my opinion with LVG in charge he's getting nowhere near the armband at this stage.

Also agree he's under pressure this tournament to produce, his best chance is if he leads the line in attack and stops getting constantly sucked back into midfield.

• Advertisement

• glued wrote: »
    Please don't tell me that you actually believe that sh1te?

Would love to see it happen

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Would love to see it happen

Yeah but you said it was picking up heat. That is not picking up heat.

• glued wrote: »
    Yeah but you said it was picking up heat. That is not picking up heat.

I'm so sorry then it's not picking up heat :rolleyes:

It's being repeated in the tabloids (manatees) today.

I'm so sorry then it's not picking up heat :rolleyes:

It's being repeated in the tabloids (manatees) today.

Apology and rolleyes accepted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ah Wayne. It's quite easy to downplay the importance of top awards when you aren't up for any :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I can't for the life of me understand the heat on Rooney after this past season in particular where he was just about the only one who put his shoulder to the wheel in such a difficult time, it was very captain-like.

Contracts and their intricacies mean nothing to me as a fan, people are going to use what tools they can to improve their work circumstances, in your own average Joe job, you might angle as if you were thinking of leaving if you were looking for better terms....so why wouldn't a soccer player or in this case a soccer players agent?

I should note that last summer I would have sold Rooney abroad in a heartbeat as I felt it would have been good business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

“Do you think you’re a top player?” Moyes asked. Rooney replied that he did. Then Moyes hit him with the killer line. “Then why have Chelsea offered only £25m for you?”

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/wayne-rooney-england-italy-world-cup-2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,372 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

glued wrote: »
    Apology and rolleyes accepted

While you are online, can you explain what is the rubbish Mitten put out after his interview with Woodward?

Well, Moyes had a lot more bottle than I gave him credit for!

• KH25 wrote: »
    Well, Moyes had a lot more bottle than I gave him credit for!

I never doubted Moye's commitment. Fair ****s to him for telling Rooney to get the finger out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He tries hard, yeah. Not disputing that. But the fact is he handed in a transfer request and threatened to go to City. That was all about Rooney wanting his own way. The team had nothing to do with it. So for him to come out and say that stuff about winning as a team is laughable.

Rooney handed in a transfer request because he was furious United were lacking ambition. While the likes of Chelsea and City were spending big United were not investing in the team. He went about it the wrong way listening to his agent but he had good intentions i don't think he ever wanted to leave United.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me understand the heat on Rooney after this past season in particular where he was just about the only one who put his shoulder to the wheel in such a difficult time, it was very captain-like.

People always seem to bring up his performance, but personally, I feel he achieved the minimum a player should when a team the stature of United is built completely around him. He was pretty much the center point of all our attacks, with the ball constantly going through him, and often players were played out of position to accommodate him. Of course he then got goals and assists.

But that doesn't mean he should be who the team should be built around, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned as to his ability when he plays the supporting role. I'd personally much prefer to see RVP with Mata or Kagawa behind him than Rooney.

Read that last night.

Have to say it was a brilliant line., It's a pity it didnt go into more detail, but just indicated Moyes gave Rooney some hard truths, which in fairness he probably needed to hear coming off the back of a poor season.

Still somewhat unsure if Rooney's performances were fetching a new contract/generate more interest from clubs, or if he just pure responded. Had initially thought the former, but must admit reading that last night thought to myself it might have been the latter.

Makes you wonder if Moyes is maybe on of those managers that doesn't go accross well to players with big egos and soft mentalities. As in his not the arm around the shoulder kinda guy. And just tells you if your being ****.

In fairness I think the heat is coming from the UK public and press. With the performance of Liverpool this year, they are making the stupid assumption that form is everything going into a tournament.

The reason I say it's stupid, is because if Hodgson gave them what they want hed go with a front three of Sterling, Lallana and Strurridge. About 10 caps combined between them, no real competitive experience at international level, would most likely flounder and I'm sure he would get berated.

For all the various barren spells, and as Pro.F articulates well everytime and made me change my mind, Rooney is a top quality striker with bags of experience. Unless he is a complete donkey in the first game, you should be palying him.

I'd also go as far as saying he should be up front and central, playing second fiddle to no one. But obviously any logic will be completely out the window because of the Liverpool fanfare and people focusing on the goals scored by Sturridge, completely disregarding who he had playing alongside him.

Meh I'm not English so don't care, but if I was, I'd be argueing for Rooney up front and central, doing nothing else.

While you are online, can you explain what is the rubbish Mitten put out after his interview with Woodward?

Mitten was spreading rumours about Manchester United signing Ronaldo. He started that rumour last Summer when it was clear the interview in the podcast alluded to nothing of the sort.

He also started other rumours too which proved to be false.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

Interesting read based on values of countries, English at 3rd, very high if you compare how they are expected to perform:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27794636

In fairness I think the heat is coming from the UK public and press. With the performance of Liverpool this year, they are making the stupid assumption that form is everything going into a tournament.

The reason I say it's stupid, is because if Hodgson gave them what they want hed go with a front three of Sterling, Lallana and Strurridge. About 10 caps combined between them, no real competitive experience at international level, would most likely flounder and I'm sure he would get berated.

For all the various barren spells, and as Pro.F articulates well everytime and made me change my mind, Rooney is a top quality striker with bags of experience. Unless he is a complete donkey in the first game, you should be palying him.

I'd also go as far as saying he should be up front and central, playing second fiddle to no one. But obviously any logic will be completely out the window because of the Liverpool fanfare and people focusing on the goals scored by Sturridge, completely disregarding who he had playing alongside him.

Meh I'm not English so don't care, but if I was, I'd be argueing for Rooney up front and central, doing nothing else.

Sturridge has played well on the right already but he can be selfish and has shown that this season at times.
    Welbeck has proved that he can cause problems for RB when running at pace, this give Rooney the best opportunity in the Centre.
    Leave Gerard playing the deep lying role and keep him out of Henderson / Lalanna's way and England could do well, I find Gerard undermines what Henderson has the ability to do when he get's too far forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

fitze69 wrote: »
    Interesting read based on values of countries, English at 3rd, very high if you compare how they are expected to perform:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27794636

Very interesting. As clear as sign as you'll ever see that the "English Player Tax" is a real phenomenon that doesn't seem to exist in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

People always seem to bring up his performance, but personally, I feel he achieved the minimum a player should when a team the stature of United is built completely around him. He was pretty much the center point of all our attacks, with the ball constantly going through him, and often players were played out of position to accommodate him. Of course he then got goals and assists.

But that doesn't mean he should be who the team should be built around, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned as to his ability when he plays the supporting role. I'd personally much prefer to see RVP with Mata or Kagawa behind him than Rooney.

I agree with you almost completely...I'd have Rooney up top with Matagawa behind though...I don't think RVP tried a leg for us last year, he scored a few alright but his overall demeanour was of disinterest.

The team was built around him (WR) yes and I agree he had little more than a very decent season but I'm defending him from the point of view that guys are slating him about wages, team ethic, captaincy credentials etc....I thought he showed excellent application at such a difficult time, many just threw it in.

I can see Wellbeck starting on the left against Italy. Hodgson would have seen how well he has done in that role in big games for United. I expect Wellbeck Rooney and Sturridge from the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I can't wait to see how Rooney gets on in the World Cup. He always seems to be going into them with an injury and not match fit.

He looks in great shape at the minute though and from his interview seems to be seriously up for it. Would love for him to silence a few critics.

• Advertisement

I agree with you almost completely...I'd have Rooney up top with Matagawa behind though...I don't think RVP tried a leg for us last year, he scored a few alright but his overall demeanour was of disinterest.

The team was built around him (WR) yes and I agree he had little more than a very decent season but I'm defending him from the point of view that guys are slating him about wages, team ethic, captaincy credentials etc....I thought he showed excellent application at such a difficult time, many just threw it in.

Very few players put in 100% last season. The standouts for me were DDG, Wellbeck and Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Very interesting. As clear as sign as you'll ever see that the "English Player Tax" is a real phenomenon that doesn't seem to exist in other countries.

It is also a very serious inditement of the FA that given their financial muscle their national team continues to perform well below the standard that it should given the money.

While of course the FA is seperate from the Prem League, England should be seeing the benefits of such a sustained position of the league and the wealth of overseas players and coaches.

The fact that the English FA would probably be happy enough with QF is a poor result. Even taken the payers worth out of it, they have the rsources to have the best kits, set-up, coaches (the people not the busses) etc that should be giving them a significant advantage.

• I can't wait to see how Rooney gets on in the World Cup. He always seems to be going into them with an injury and not match fit.

He looks in great shape at the minute though and from his interview seems to be seriously up for it. Would love for him to silence a few critics.

If he performs he might make LVG think twice about the captaincy, think this WC could be critical for his future at Man Utd.

Sturridge has played well on the right already but he can be selfish and has shown that this season at times.
    Welbeck has proved that he can cause problems for RB when running at pace, this give Rooney the best opportunity in the Centre.
    Leave Gerard playing the deep lying role and keep him out of Henderson / Lalanna's way and England could do well, I find Gerard undermines what Henderson has the ability to do when he get's too far forward.

You know for all Rooney's stunts over the seasons, I'd actually probably have backed his corner, if he made a real stand against being played out of position.

Jesus I remember at 17 I kicked up a **** storm being played out of position. I just don't think he's good enough and it's not utilising his strengths. He should be played as a striker in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I actually think Rooney will have a good worldcup. The team is better than in the past, more pace around him and he can then focus on his own game rather than having to chase (and fail) to catch Pirlo.

I can't wait to see how Rooney gets on in the World Cup. He always seems to be going into them with an injury and not match fit.

All the talk is "is Hodgson brave enough to drop him".

I think the big question is "Is Hodgson brave enough to ignore the stupid commentary, and play his best player in his best position"

It's for me like Argentina throwing Messi out of position to accomodate Di Maria. Sure, Di Maria has had a good season, a strong finish. But there is no questioning who is the stronger player and who should be making way for who.

You know for all Rooney's stunts over the seasons, I'd actually probably have backed his corner, if he made a real stand against being played out of position.

Jesus I remember at 17 I kicked up a **** storm being played out of position. I just don't think he's good enough and it's not utilising his strengths. He should be played as a striker in my opinion.

This is what I mean but not sure how it works playing a 4-3-3 as in Rooney as striker with Welbeck and Sturridge behind on the left / right.

I have mentioned before the excellent season he had for us a couple of years back when Fergie played him up front, think he was in the 30+ zone. Scored an immense amount of headers to note.

Baines / Shaw could provide the width / crossing for ^^^

TheDoc wrote: »
    All the talk is "is Hodgson brave enough to drop him".

I think the big question is "Is Hodgson brave enough to ignore the stupid commentary, and play his best player in his best position"

It's for me like Argentina throwing Messi out of position to accomodate Di Maria. Sure, Di Maria has had a good season, a strong finish. But there is no questioning who is the stronger player and who should be making way for who.

I agree with the first bit although the second bit is a bit incorrect as Di Maria has played his best stuff in a midfield three and has been Argentina and Real Madrid's best player doing that IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any more word on Carvalho? He had a 98% pass success against Ireland,the only pass he missed was a through ball to Ronaldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

RVP. Source
    "Ideally, I want to play until I'm 40 - maybe I can even stretch that to 42 - but that's what I want because this is what I love doing and it's what I've done my whole life."

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Interesting to read hus comments about Italian defenders not liking a high tempo. Surely England cant be planning on tearing around in jungle conditions?

Early exit beckons if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Interesting to read hus comments about Italian defenders not liking a high tempo. Surely England cant be planning on tearing around in jungle conditions?

glued wrote: »
    I agree with the first bit although the second bit is a bit incorrect as Di Maria has played his best stuff in a midfield three and has been Argentina and Real Madrid's best player doing that IMO.

It was more an illustrative point in terms of form versus defined class.

In the event they both played the same position, do you go with the current in form Di Maria, or the somewhat outof form Messi, but who is just simply a name you can't fathom dropping.

Sterling has had a good season with Liverpool, but is utterly untested at this level. There is genuine calls in England for a front three consisting of Sterling on the right, Sturridge in the middle and Rooney out left.

Maybe it's as many European coaches, commentators and footballers say, English footballers simply don't have the ego and self confidence required in order to be the best.

Could you imagine Zlatan being told to play out left. Look at how Cavani is ruffling feathers about his unhappyness playing out of position. And he's argueably looking to usurp the best striker in Europe.

When playing centrally, Rooney get's into a stride that's unstoppable. We have seen it before. He can focus his energy working up front and causing damage.

I think, as an opponnent player/manager, you'd be happy to see Rooney out wide or playing deep, rather then working accross the back four as a striker/forward.

although in all reality, if the England manager did what the press and public thought was a good idea, they'd never qualify for a major tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

built completely around him. He was pretty much the center point of all our attacks, with the ball constantly going through him, and often players were played out of position to accommodate him. Of course he then got goals and assists.

The team was built around him, and was poorer for it in my opinion. I cannot forget that run of games in Jan/Feb where Rooney and Van Persie were only passing to each other once or twice per game, an absolutely criminal statistic from what is supposed to be the creative fulcrum and the striker at one of the games biggest clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

TheTownie wrote: »
    RVP. Source

RVP could easily play until he's 40, barring any major injury set backs during his 30s. He's like Zlatan in the sense that Zlatan relies on talent and ability more than anything, same with RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

MagicIRL wrote: »
    RVP could easily play until he's 40, barring any major injury set backs during his 30s. He's like Zlatan in the sense that Zlatan relies on talent and ability more than anything, same with RVP.

RVP by his own admission has been injured for the last 6 years. I can't see him hitting 40

Deiseboy01 wrote: »

GNev was a bit upset last night as one of the rags got a photo of him reading a tactics sheet. On it was planned tactics to play against the Italians, that specifically outlined pressing high and fast, and when in possession being patient and calculated.

Counter attacking when breaking up Italian play high up the pitch.

Although there was no mention of it specifically, the rag went with a big biteline " England tactics against Italy to play like Liverpool".

Really getting tired of this sickafantic love affair going on at the moment. Also love how I'm sure questions will be asked of "Why would you publish something that will directly hamper the teams preperations" to which they will defend how its their duty to get information for the "fans".

Typical English rags, all mad supporting the team, while bit by bit ripping it asunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    Any more word on Carvalho? He had a 98% pass success against Ireland,the only pass he missed was a through ball to Ronaldo.

They brought a sub on in the second half, a winger who looked very, very impressive. We need to replace the likes of Young and Valencia, I wonder who that guy was?

RVP's game as mentioned above is built around movement and powerful finishing. Pace is just nt part of his game.

While he may wish to play until he is 40, I don't think it will be at a top level unfortunately. Would love to be proven wrong, but the amount of injuries he has had will take it's toll, and to play until 40 he will probably need to drop down a level or two.

The horrific thing is it's definitly going to be a guy that when he retires, you'll look back and wonder what could have been. He really could have shattered some records.

RVP scored nearly as many as Rooney did nd in less games played in fairness. He didn't have the assists, but then RVP was a striker and Rooney was playing as the #10. When given chances, he finished them and a huge part of his problem came from the utter lack of creativity coming out of our midfield.

As for his demeanour, I'm not excusing it. But he signed for United to play for Fergie, had the team built around him, and won the league at a canter. And then the manager left, was replaced by one with far less experience and credentials, saw the team built around someone else and saw the team suffer, and by all accounts seemed to be prepared to be shipped out as well. That would hurt most people's mood. And yet when he played, he still preformed very well and scored as many goals as Rooney.

I have a feeling that when he's back for a manager he respects, and who will play to his strength and build the team round him again, we're going to see RVP's demenour change again...

I guess I just think there has to be a distinction between showing leadership qualities and showing effective leadership qualities; Rooney was great at running round and screaming at people. But rarely did I feel he was actually motivating his team mates, getting them to fight and show passion, rallying the troops....something a good captain needs to be doing. I'd personally argue that it was telling that as Rooney tried to lead the team, many seemed to look at him and respond "**** off!"....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement