Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ADarkKnight88

They brought a sub on in the second half, a winger who looked very, very impressive. We need to replace the likes of Young and Valencia, I wonder who that guy was?

Was it that lad Rafa, who plays with Braga?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

They brought a sub on in the second half, a winger who looked very, very impressive. We need to replace the likes of Young and Valencia, I wonder who that guy was?

Vieirinha, 28, winger for Wolfsburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Twitter has some WC fanfare stuff, where you can support "your" country and it changes your profile and bits to that countries colours.

German home kit with Kroos 18 arrived yesterday, the sexy lil dirt.

Have gone full German, gwan Toni you mad ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Was it that lad Rafa, who plays with Braga?

It was Nani :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

One thing I hate about the World Cup is the lack of transfer rumours of unbelievable players who have no intention of coming to United to make everything ok again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

One thing I hate about the World Cup is the lack of transfer rumours of unbelievable players who have no intention of coming to United to make everything ok again.

We are signing Suarez you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

kryogen wrote: »

BBC's gossip column today say's we've already bid for Athletico's Miranda on a four year deal! At 29! :pac:

kryogen wrote: »

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Why aren't we putting your hat in for Fabregas, Carrick was terrible after returning from injury last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why aren't we putting your hat in for Fabregas, Carrick was terrible after returning from injury last season.

Because I love my hat, put your own in!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This tweet says everything about transfer rumours

Daniel Storey ‏@danielstorey85 2m

Express June11: "United to break bank with £56m Cavani bid"
    Express June12: "United SNUB Cavani move over wage demands"
    Or you got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People always seem to bring up his performance, but personally, I feel he achieved the minimum a player should when a team the stature of United is built completely around him. He was pretty much the center point of all our attacks, with the ball constantly going through him, and often players were played out of position to accommodate him. Of course he then got goals and assists.

But that doesn't mean he should be who the team should be built around, and doesn't mean it shouldn't be questioned as to his ability when he plays the supporting role. I'd personally much prefer to see RVP with Mata or Kagawa behind him than Rooney.

If the team was built around him then he would have been playing in his best position. Or at the very least, he would have had a hard working, athletic CF to make space for him. The team wasn't even slightly built around him.

RVP scored nearly as many as Rooney did nd in less games played in fairness. He didn't have the assists, but then RVP was a striker and Rooney was playing as the #10.

You bring up the fact that Rooney was playing as #10 when talking about assists, but you don't bring up the fact that RvP was playing as a CF when talking about goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pro. F wrote: »
    You bring up the fact that Rooney was playing as #10 when talking about assists, but you don't bring up the fact that RvP was playing as a CF when talking about goals.

I haven;t checked - but i'm convinced a good percentage of his assists came from set pieces (frees and corners) and crosses from wide. It deosn't devalue the assist itself I suppose, but it doesn't show that he is creative, which is the reason I dislike him at 10. He works hard, and spreads play, but he rarely will unlock a defence a packed defence with quick feet and vision, which is what I want from my 10.

I haven;t checked - but i'm convinced a good percentage of his assists came from set pieces (frees and corners) and crosses from wide. It deosn't devalue the assist itself I suppose, but it doesn't show that he is creative, which is the reason I dislike him at 10. He works hard, and spreads play, but he rarely will unlock a defence a packed defence with quick feet and vision, which is what I want from my 10.

That my "perception" of Rooney to be fair, not sure if it's actually the truth.

But if I had to pick between Mata, Rooney and Kagawa for the #10 role I'd go

Mata
    Kagawa
    Rooney

In that order

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, I would agree there. I remember one game where he got two assists, but both were free kicks which a keeper got a touch on and someone knocked them in, as opposed to actually trying to feed it to people. It's why taking simply the stat and no context simply isn't always a good idea....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

One Rooney assist (not from a set piece) i think of straight away was his long lofted pass to RVP for that lovely volley. Struggling to think of more from open play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

One Rooney assist (not from a set piece) i think of straight away was his long lofted pass to RVP for that lovely volley. Struggling to think of more from open play.

that's because it was an unreal goal, your never going to remember a simple pass for a goal...

bangkok wrote: »
    that's because it was an unreal goal, your never going to remember a simple pass for a goal...

Indeed - i'm sure there are a few assists that aren't set pieces or crosses, but i'd be surprised if any showed amazing craft of vision, ones that would make you think 'what a ****ing assist!'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Indeed - i'm sure there are a few assists that aren't set pieces or crosses, but i'd be surprised if any showed amazing craft of vision, ones that would make you think 'what a ****ing assist!'.

Some of them early in the season were "fantasy football" assists where Rooney had a shot that pinged around the box before being turned in.

Means he was causing problems but not really the hallmark of classic #10 play, neither is taking shots into a crowded box a sign of an attacking set up that's doing well at unlocking defences.

rare enough if ever that you will watch a game and shout out what a ....... assist..... maybe apart from this pass from nani...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWdUOJvbaM

rare enough if ever that you will watch a game and shout out what a ....... assist..... maybe apart from this pass from nani...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWdUOJvbaM

From a number 10 that is supposed to be world class, I would expect creative defense splitting passes quite a bit, and I don't feel rooney provides that

From a number 10 that is supposed to be world class, I would expect creative defense splitting passes quite a bit, and I don't feel rooney provides that

but you also need a world class striker to finish off them chances, like rvp 2 years ago. Ozil had 15-20 assists at real Madrid a season because he had Ronaldo and benzema to pass to, he comes to arsenal he is still giving the same passes but its to giroud, bendtner or sanogo and his stats are down because of the poor quality he is passing to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Got Holland in the WC draw in work. :cool:

but you also need a world class striker to finish off them chances, like rvp 2 years ago. Ozil had 15-20 assists at real Madrid a season because he had Ronaldo and benzema to pass to, he comes to arsenal he is still giving the same passes but its to giroud, bendtner or sanogo and his stats are down because of the poor quality he is passing to

Would say Ozil was hampered more by style than quality. He needs pace to aim at, and apart from Walcott arsenal don't have it going beyond defenders.

Girourd and the other forwards come for the ball or look for a cross, rather than a dinked pass in behind. Ramsey's return (and his desire to get beyond the forward/defenders) brought out more in Ozil in the last games, imo.

Regardless, I don't think there are many chances created by great rooney number 10 play showing creativity and vision, forgetting about goals. More often we see attacks breaking down in the final third from Rooney due to him miscontrolling it or passing it into a defenders shin. In a tight space, he simply isn't that good, or at least not consistently.

• Advertisement

Sky Sports news reporting that we can now take comfort in the fact we don't have another summer of Fabregas to United rumours... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Yup, Fabregas to Chelsea confirmed on SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Well I was wrong with Cesc anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Chelsea going to be hard to beat to the title next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Solid signing alright, surprised we weren't in for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Chelsea will go into the season as favourites for the title IMO. Not that the title should concern us.

RasTa wrote: »

I'd honestly be shocked if we weren't, but sensed the way he was leaning and got ahead of the news and tried to put a more positive spin on it...

STROOTMAN TO THE RESCUE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

:pac:
    BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United have lodged a £40m bid for Chelsea's Cesc Fabregas and understand the player would consider a move.

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Yup, Fabregas to Chelsea confirmed on SSN

Yes,just heard that on BBC 5 Live too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Seeing that signing now makes me hope lvg gets who he is targeting , again like luiz under the radar

Hmm,London or Manchester? Probably still has a house in that London and lived there already!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Hmm,London or Manchester? Probably still has a house in that London and lived there already!

It makes sense but surely it runis his rep (doubt he cares too much) with arsenal joining a rival London club

The Mirror reporter Ed Malyon on Twitter...

Fabregas' people signed yesterday on penthouse in Battersea Reach after Man United signalled final intention not to sign player.

The Mirror reporter Ed Malyon on Twitter...

Fabregas' people signed yesterday on penthouse in Battersea Reach after Man United signalled final intention not to sign player.

NO.
    NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Stop it. No. Enough. He's not been a Chelsea player 10mins and it's already United's fault. Oh my Christ, let this window end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Players like Fabregas are completely out of our range since we don't have Champions League football.

• J. Marston wrote: »
    Players like Fabregas are completely out of our range since we don't have Champions League football.

Sounds like the like's of Strootman, Kross, Sweinstieger & Rues are out of range too :confused::confused::confused:

What range should we have? Mediocrity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MUPPETRY FULL STEAM AHEAD!

I'm outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sounds like the like's of Strootman, Kross, Sweinstieger & Rues are out of range too :confused::confused::confused:

Mikel for 15 milliion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Leon osman :)

• MUPPETRY FULL STEAM AHEAD!

I'm outta here.

:confused::confused:

Before the pitchforks come out.

Looks to be the case Cesc chose Chelsea. Indications are offers were on the table...Barca provided the player the choice as most of the financials were the same ...he chose Chelsea.

Sounds very possible we were one of the choices.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

J. Marston wrote: »

Yep but also not many can compete with Chelsea's wage offerings that would turn most agents/players opinions.

but hey let's still cheer on some of these money bag teams - rivalry wins.

I wasn't trying to prove anything about the quality of Rooney as a number 10 with that mention of assist numbers, rather that Teamshadowclan seems to be applying more rigour in his criticism of Rooney than of RvP.

I think Rooney is better then he's given credit for as a 10 but he needs a team with a fully functioning midfield. Even then, I think Mata is always going to be a better 10 unless you have some very specific requirements that Rooney can fill for the odd game. The squad is such a mess with so much money wasted at this stage. Having Rooney, RvP, Mata, Kagawa, Hernandez and Welbeck all in one squad is just stupid.

The best I can find for a break down of Rooney's assists is on premierleague.com: He had 10 assists, 3 from crosses and 7 from passes. It doesn't give details about set pieces or blocked shots leading to goals.

• Advertisement

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Before the pitchforks come out.

Looks to be the case Cesc chose Chelsea. Indications are offers were on the table...Barca provided the player the choice as most of the financials were the same ...he chose Chelsea.

Sounds very possible we were one of the choices.

Too late ^^

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement