Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I thought it might run on the schedule they said they had - looking to get two players signed before the world cup. Have signed none.

When did the club say they expected to have two signings complete before the world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Before, and since (though not so much in the last couple of weeks...) and also said that LVG coming in would not affect our transfer activity. Or at least that is what they were briefing the press. So if you are looking for a direct quote from the official site you can just decide now that I am lying to you and we can end the conversation there cause I can't be arsed arguing whether the club briefs or not.

Christ, you're precious! I'm not asking for you to give me quotes, and of course the club briefs. My point, as you yourself have said is that they were briefing this mostly when Moyes was still in charge and I'm assuming were working on deals for his targets. New manager, new targets. There are very legitimate mitigating factors as to why we haven't got signings in the bag yet. And no that doesn't mean I think we will get the signings we need.

adox wrote: »
    OT: Brazilian women dancing make everything better.

Phaoarr,J Lo still got it, who was the other female singer with her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kryogen wrote: »
    Jose loves Oscar, Jose has sold Mata because he see's Oscar as his number 10.

Fab won't be playing as a number 10, he will probably be taking Lampards place in fairness.

I'm a little surprised that people think Fabregas wouldn't suit Chelsea. Wasn't Fabregas always seen as the successor to Xavi? I always thought Fabregas would end up playing deeper in midfield, and was only shoved up front for Barcelona because, well, Barcelona.

I expect Fabregas to play right in the middle for Chelsea, behind Oscar et al, and I fully expect him to be world class at it.

I'm a little surprised that people think Fabregas wouldn't suit Chelsea. Wasn't Fabregas always seen as the successor to Xavi? I always thought Fabregas would end up playing deeper in midfield, and was only shoved up front for Barcelona because, well, Barcelona.

I expect Fabregas to play right in the middle for Chelsea, behind Oscar et al, and I fully expect him to be world class at it.

I didn't say he wouldn't suit Chelsea necessarily, I don't think he is the archetypal Mourinho central midfielder though.

Same way Mata did not suit Jose, but clearly suited Chelsea before Jose got there.

We are in agreement as to where he will play sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

United will no doubt have a good season next year, the one thing that Van Gaal brings (and most importantly in my view) is the reputation. With Moyes he got all the blame because of a lack of experience at european standard clubs. Now that Van Gaal is in charge any blame will be put on the players more than the manager. This means players can't just coast by and not put in a hundred percent work rate, like they did last season. They will be under constant scrutiny and will have to perform. Like the the Ferguson era after he established himself. These days the media play a huge role in hiring and firing so this is important. Also I can imagine his inclusion will attract some big name players. Main concerns have to be centre backs, centre mids, and a winger. We have RVP and Rooney proven goalscorers. Think we need players to provide for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Chelsea need a striker and to replace lampard. They sign Costa and Lampard. We need a load of players and we sign NO ONE. What the feck are this club at? It is actually unbelievable that we are doing the same slow crap we did last summer.

http://youtu.be/S9KXrRUZqtw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

We cannot take anything for granted.

The squad that finished 7th has been weakened significantly with the departure of Vidic and Ferdinand. We've signed nobody as yet and our rivals have already begun to strengthen, Chelsea especially.

There's a great sense of the unknown with Van Gaal too. I reckon he'll either be the roaring success that we all want him to be or else he'll implode spectacularly and be an abject failure. Yes he has pedigree but he's also as mad as a march hare.

It'll be an interesting ride that's for sure...I think that I'm cautiously optimistic re Van Gaal but despondent re our squad, our lack of transfer activity to date and the fact that we may have passed on Cesc Fabregas.

Said it earlier, Croatia are all sorts of wrong for Brazil, could see an early upset.

Luiz displaying why he is worth £50million of course

Edit: Apologies, wrong thread

But sure I may aswell continue now, we get to see is there much fight in this Brazil team now which is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I could be completely wrong here but I get the sense that we are a difficult club to do business with re: players.

Putting in bids that they know will be refused and disrupting players at numerous clubs over the past few years. This can't endear them to either clubs or agents to be honest.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Some players won't get involved in transfers while preparing for or while the world cup is on.

Especially settled players who were not looking for a move, unike the names who are already signed up to new clubs.

Its probably in Uniteds best interest to keep quiet on the names they are after at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know some people are feeling rather pessimistic, and are probably as annoyed by our optimism as we are of their negativity.

But honestly, for months we had "Moyes is here till Xmas at least" negativity, and when he got the sack, I happily accepted that obviously the powers-that-be want what's best for United. And they aren't stupid, and know we need transfers.

Right, it would have been nice to get them done quick, but honestly, I have zero doubt that work is underway on multiple transfers. The club did something hugely positive just a month or so ago, and I have 100% faith that positive trend will continue over the next 3 months. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

JRant wrote: »
    I could be completely wrong here but I get the sense that we are a difficult club to do business with re: players.

Putting in bids that they know will be refused and disrupting players at numerous clubs over the past few years. This can't endear them to either clubs or agents to be honest.

You are wrong and the second line of your post is baseless nonsense.

Sad.

Classic.

Maybe too close to home for some man children though, are you one of the toys out of the pram brigade?

On another note that lad Barca signed is playing really well. Would have offered us a lot.

Sad.

Classic.

Maybe too close to home for some man children though, are you one of the toys out of the pram brigade?

On another note that lad Barca signed is playing really well. Would have offered us a lot.

Sad.

Classic.

Excuse the triple post. Damn new phone is breaking my heart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Rakitić has been class so far against Brazil.

• Advertisement

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Classic.

Yes yes I am.

Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Well folks,my first ever post on soccer thread,timed joining well yo get in for World Cup:)....cracking evening outdoors,just in to see 2nd half of Brazil game.Am a lifelong Man Utd fan,interested in how Rakitic plays tonight,Wudnt mind seeing him at OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

public version of the Times article.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/football/article4117376.ece

Really hope we have identified more targets than the ones in the article.

Schweinsteiger would be a great signing, as would strootman, but Schweinsteiger on his own for CM in the summer would be a serious under investment in midfield, waiting to 2015 to sign Strootman would be needlessly putting next seasons league campaign in jepordy, more so than it already would be.

Odds of getting Hummels have to be small, imo.

Shaw, Schweinsteiger and Hummels would be great signings, but really not enough for the summer window. We need to add a CM to that list (even if we can fecking sign them, don't trust Woodward at all) and possible a winger as well, cause Young, Valencia and Nani simply haven't proven themselves worthy in the last 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Well folks,my first ever post on soccer thread,timed joining well yo get in for World Cup:)....cracking evening outdoors,just in to see 2nd half of Brazil game.Am a lifelong Man Utd fan,interested in how Rakitic plays tonight,Wudnt mind seeing him at OT.

Welcome to the mad house!

Didnt Barca sign him already?

Hes been good tonight I agree. Class for Sevilla too when I've seen them.

He is signing for Barcelona. So another class midfielder we have missed out on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nolars wrote: »
    Rakitić has been class so far against Brazil.
    He has been better than Modric and Modric has done very well. What a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Newbie here, been enjoying reading thread so thought I would drop a hello and to say that I cant see us signing anyone until after the WC or when Holland get eliminated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

So... a re reg..... :mad:

Welcome :pac:

Yes yes I am.

Good lad.

Thought so. The lack of humour gave it away.

Wha! Wha! Wha! CHELSEA HAVE SIGNED A PLAYER, I WANT ONE TOO!!

WHA WHA WHA, we didnt win anything for a whole season, im fcukin distraught, the sky is going to fall down.

The amount of deluded, entitled ****e on here is painful to behold at times.

lads to be honest i could see lvg getting a lot out of some of the players at the club, the more dynamic ones or ones with that capability.

Nani <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

He is signing for Barcelona. So another class midfielder we have missed out on.

And for €20 million or so, looks a right bargain at that.

WHA WHA WHA, we didnt win anything for a whole season, im fcukin distraught, the sky is going to fall down.

This deluded holier than thou sh1te is just as annoying to me.

You are being incredibly disingenuous suggesting any unhappiness with the state of play at united is down to just one season of simply not winning anything.

Your antagonism isn't much better.

lads to be honest i could see lvg getting a lot out of some of the players at the club, the more dynamic ones or ones with that capability.

Nani <3

How about our midfield collection of Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley and Fletcher. Christ that is a depressing collection of midfielders.

dahat wrote: »
    And for €20 million or so, looks a right bargain at that.
    Who was he with

Yes that's what I've said here. Of course.

What is painful is your little youtube videos directed at other posters. How about typing some words in response to him if you disagree instead of childish little youtube links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Who was he with

Sevilla, something like 15 goals/assists too.

• Rakatic looks a tasty midfielder

How about our midfield collection of Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley and Fletcher. Christ that is a depressing collection of midfielders.

I didn't say all. Two MF signings, have we any decent ball winning midfielders with competent passing in the youths?

Btw while carrick is slow and fletch is probably crocked ( I still have the utmost respect for them btw). Fell should improve a good bit particularly with a more mobile partner beside him. While I dont think clevs is any world beater his workrate and ability to keep the ball ticking over will probably be utilised, I hope he isnt first choice for matchdays squads in the big games but could see him being a useful squad player with a decent amount of game time.

We just need to solidify the centre as the rest of the team is in pretty decent shape imo. I expect a shedload more goals next season

Sevilla, something like 15 goals/assists too.

Cheers, had a feelin it was La Liga, thought it was malaga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rakatic looks a tasty midfielder

Sold fabregas and bought him plus left with a few bob in the bank, great business by Barcelona.

This deluded holier than thou sh1te is just as annoying to me.

You are being incredibly disingenuous suggesting any unhappiness with the state of play at united is down to just one season of simply not winning anything.

There s nothing holier than thou about it. We havent signed a player post appointing a new manager a couple of weeks pre WC. A manager who is managing his country in the WC. We have two months to sign players.

We had a poor season. The first after a once in a lifetime managerial genius retired and all you here is crying and bawling about how awful everyting is.

Some sense of perspective is needed.

If we ve signed no one by the time the window closes then fine have a winge but now is not the time.

In addition to the players named in Duckers piece i would be shocked if Van Gaal doesn't go for a couple of players outside the top tier names who have potential.

There s nothing holier than thou about it. We havent signed a player post appointing a new manager a couple of weeks pre WC. A manager who is managing his country in the WC. We have two months to sign players.

We had a poor season. The first after a once in a lifetime managerial genius retired and all you here is crying and bawling about how awful everyting is.

Some sense of perspective is needed.

If we ve signed no one by the time the window closes then fine have a winge but now is not the time.

Wait until the end of the window? what about bedding in time and the early games of the season? Are you really that clueless? Sure while the player are at the WC it's fine but there are plenty of good players not at it and the entirety of preseason to introduce players to the club.

Your antagonism isn't much better.

Hey he called my Ripping Yarns post sad,he deserves it!

Wait until the end of the window? what about bedding in time and the early games of the season? Are you really that clueless? Sure while the player are at the WC it's fine but there are plenty of good players not at it and the entirety of preseason to introduce players to the club.

Chelsea have sorted Fabregas and Costa. Two players at the world cup. Barcelona have sorted Rakitic, playing tonight at the world cup. Players being at the world cup is simply an excuse for poor transfer work from United.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

You never know...Van Gaal could do wonders for someone like Nani (and dare I say it even Anderson).

You never know.

I'd dump Ashley Young ASAP but Nani could still be a gem of a player.

I can see both sides of the argument ("why the f..k have we not signed anyone" versus "calm down it's only June and Van Gaal's otherwise engaged"). It's not unreasonable to be worried though. We're short of the competition vis a vis quality and they're doing big things (Fabregas, Costa, etc). We need at least a couple (and maybe three) "finished articles" and seeing potential candidates like Fabregas go to Chelsea is painful. The guy is a proven Premiership player but also Spain's heir to Xavi etc...FFS

Yes that's what I've said here. Of course.

What is painful is your little youtube videos directed at other posters. How about typing some words in response to him if you disagree instead of childish little youtube links.

I pretty much captures the tone actually.

Also I thought my post was a pretty succinct response to an overblown reaction to another side signing a player.

Your Chemical Ali comparisons being nicely understated and in no way childish of course.

Chelsea have sorted Fabregas and Costa. Two players at the world cup. Barcelona have sorted Rakitic, playing tonight at the world cup. Players being at the world cup is simply an excuse for poor transfer work from United.

United don't deserve excuses to be made after last summer but its worth considering those players were actively looking for a move making it easier to get a deal done in the lead up to the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Didnt realise they bought him...damn,he will be a better all round player than Modric in time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement