Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Wait until the end of the window? what about bedding in time and the early games of the season? Are you really that clueless? Sure while the player are at the WC it's fine but there are plenty of good players not at it and the entirety of preseason to introduce players to the club.

Yes wait. Because we will sign players. Over reacting in early June is ridiculous and juvenile.

Then again some people just enjoy being outraged I supposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Chelsea have sorted Fabregas and Costa. Two players at the world cup. Barcelona have sorted Rakitic, playing tonight at the world cup. Players being at the world cup is simply an excuse for poor transfer work from United.

Jesus christ I was saying it isnt an excuse for no work done. Do you goes against everyone who isnt exactly on point with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

So... a re reg..... :mad:

Welcome :pac:

Nope ain't a re reg...have looked on on soccer thread for while but never joined.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    Yes wait. Because we will sign players. Over reacting in early June is ridiculous and juvenile.

You said wait until the 31st of august which is ridiculous. Whatever about now the closer that the deadline come the more understandable it is that fans get unsettled.

I'm not saying we have to have deals done now. It'd be nice but you are the complete opposite.

Nope ain't a re reg...have looked on on soccer thread for while but never joined.

Ah i was just messing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just like people said last summer when others saw what was happening, and we ended up over spending on Fellaini at 11.59pm on the last day of the window. But sure why remember the past.

Jesus christ I was saying it isnt an excuse for no work done. Do you goes against everyone who isnt exactly on point with you?

I was adding to your comment, not trying to contradict it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I heard that alot last summer and we were champions then and in the CL.

Perhaps you're being a bit naive to expect this summer will be any better, especially since Woodward is still there.

I was adding to your comment, not trying to contradict it.

My apologies. I'm not used to agreeing with you around transfer time :o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How about our midfield collection of Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley and Fletcher. Christ that is a depressing collection of midfielders.

Apparently you need to stop being so deluded and entitled. Pointing out that our midfield is still **** is just being a manchild. You shouldn't do that I guess.

• Advertisement

Just like people said last summer when others saw what was happening, and we ended up over spending on Fellaini at 11.59pm on the last day of the window. But sure why remember the past.

Comparing this summer to last is pointless.

Last season we were champions. Irrespective of our opinion the Board could have argued we were good enough. Maybe a player or two needed.

We appointed a manager who may have been expected to spin the party line.

This year we finished 7th. We obviously need players to get us back into the CL.

We appointed a world class manager who will have demanded a certain level of support.

I am far more comfortable waiting for signings this year rather than last because I think its only a matter of time. Last year I was concerned Moyes was not getting the support or wanted to appraise the squad or was of the opinion we were set fair. This year I've no such worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

That's four newspapers going with the Schweinsteiger story now. Two of them reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Rakitic was not going to leave Spain, his wife rules the nest and she has a hairdressing business in Spain that she was not going to leave.

Would love Modric...

daily express have basically the same article as times that Schweinsteiger is the leading target. Would think someone at United has been briefing today.

The express does have a line about a move for Fernando and Mangala being scuppered last summer when Moyes was asked to provide a detailed Cost/justification report! Has to be made up, please lord!

Apparently you need to stop being so deluded and entitled. Pointing out that our midfield is still **** is just being a manchild. You shouldn't do that I guess.

Nobody said that pointing out we have a poor midfield was deluded and entitled.

What was said was crying about no signings in early June is.

Get your facts right before butting in on someone elses argument.

You also implied people complaining were only doing so on the back of one season of simply not winning anything.

The express does have a line about a move for Fernando and Mangala being scuppered last summer when Moyes was asked to provide a detailed Cost/justification report! Has to be made up, please lord!

It wouldn't surprise me if it were true. He had Carvalho scouted in a third of all his games or something!

Dithering Dave.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were true. He Carvalho scouted in a third of all his games or something!

Dithering Dave.
    But this would be Woodward asking for the report, it is just fecking bizare. though maybe it is common practice, would be shocked.

It's not a personal arguement on a public board.

But this would be Woodward asking for the report, it is just fecking bizare. though maybe it is common practice, would be shocked.

Ah, i read it as Moyes was asking for one, not asked for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Did the journos or any ITKs have it that Cesc would be unveiled to today? All signed sealed and delivered like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Chelsea have sorted Fabregas and Costa. Two players at the world cup. Barcelona have sorted Rakitic, playing tonight at the world cup. Players being at the world cup is simply an excuse for poor transfer work from United.

Did the transfer window close today?

It's not a personal arguement on a public board.

Getting the point of the argument you're butting into would be nice though don't you think?

Schweinsteiger would be the perfect replacement for Roy Keane, just years late...
    It would be a bigger signing than Fabregas is for Chelsea in my opinion - given quality of respective midfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So, again, United are just being painfully slow when other, more professionally ran clubs from a football point of view are actually doing what is required to improve their football team.

For all you know the slowness of United's transfer business this summer is down to van Gaal giving the suits a short list of targets that are all hard to sign. You draw conclusions off too little evidence.

• RobertKK wrote: »
    Schweinsteiger would be the perfect replacement for Roy Keane, just years late...
    It would be a bigger signing than Fabregas is for Chelsea in my opinion - given quality of respective midfields.

I'm blue in the face saying this...da ba di da ba die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I don't think its acknowledging that our midfield is still in the same trouble it was last year that is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It wouldn't surprise me if it were true. He had Carvalho scouted in a third of all his games or something!

Dithering Dave.

If it were true it doesn't reflect poorly on Moyes though so why are you mocking him?

Edit: I see you read it wrong, makes sense now :)

Getting the point of the argument you're butting into would be nice though don't you think?

Some people comment on events relating to the club, and give their opinions on the same.

Then there are those who can only comment about other posters.

Some post about United's transfer dealings.

Then there are those who call other posters manchildren because they dared comment on the clubs transfer dealings.

One contributes to the board, the other is just a monkey flinging faeces.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

daily express have basically the same article as times that Schweinsteiger is the leading target. Would think someone at United has been briefing today.

That would be the Express that Wednesday said we were bidding £56m for Cavani and then Thursday said we pulled the plug because of his wage demands. It's a rag.

kryogen wrote: »
    I don't think its acknowledging that our midfield is still in the same trouble it was last year that is a problem.

Any discussion about Manchester United is going to include the basic fact that although United desperately need signings they still haven't made any. Any discussion that wants to skip that fact is just ignoring the elephant in the room.

Sure, people could cheerfully discuss the merits of the latest player linked by some 12 year old on twitter and nothing else, but the reason the discussion keeps coming back to the lack of signings is because people know it is important.

Any discussion about Manchester United is going to include the basic fact that although United desperately need signings they still haven't made any. Any discussion that wants to skip that fact is just ignoring the elephant in the room.

Sure, people could cheerfully discuss the merits of the latest player linked by some 12 year old on twitter and nothing else, but the reason the discussion keeps coming back to the lack of signings is because people know it is important.

It's not so much the lack of discussion. It's the constant giving out because one or two teams have signed players and we haven't that annoys people I think. Everyone knows we need players but we aren't going to sign them right now because our manager is at the World Cup and to be fair, it's only June. So going day to day calling the club a disgrace or a joke because we haven't signed anyone is a bit daft really. It's like people wake up at 8am, check to see if we've signed someone, then complain about it for the day when they see other transfers being done. I'll worry at the tail end of August if we've nothing done but there's more to the summer than giving out about a transfer not being done because the rags are playing on the United fans desperation for a signing.

So going day to day calling the club a disgrace or a joke because we haven't signed anyone is a bit daft really. It's like people wake up at 8am, check to see if we've signed someone, then complain about it for the day when they see other transfers being done.

Nobody is doing this, and it doesn't help your point to exaggerate like that.

Different people give their opinions at different times, there is no one person constantly giving out about the lack of signings, and certainly nobody going day to day calling the club a disgrace or a joke because we haven't signed anyone. Just because somebody said it once does not mean its happening constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

At this rate of going there might be something to be said for that Cattermole signing!

So, Costa completes his medical.... Can united start buying players now another side has?
    Del bosque and pique apparently confirming, by accident, fabregas done to Chelsea.

Costa and fabregas, and united sitting on their hands like usual. Fecking insane.
    In fairness, he is probably hard at work on some more sponsorship deals, they're the important things.
    That and it's a World Cup year, always tough to do deals.

For such a big club, ran so well commercially it really is a farce how we manage the on the pitch stuff.
    If it is Chelsea he's gone to they don't even need him ffs. I think what makes it even worse is never mind the fact we seriously need a player or two in that position but he was shown the door we wanted him last year what **** changed?

What is it with United and transfer windows.
    Unless Fabregas is coming to us and Woodward has just played his cards close to his chest...

We are being left in City and Chelsea's wake...even Liverpool are strengthening while we just f..k around.

Why isn't the Shaw deal done yet?
    Nobody is doing this, and it doesn't help your point to exaggerate like that.

Different people give their opinions at different times, there is no one person constantly giving out about the lack of signings, and certainly nobody going day to day calling the club a disgrace or a joke because we haven't signed anyone. Just because somebody said it once does not mean its happening constantly.

Really? That was in the space of a couple of days. There's been more since that I can't be bothered going through to quote.

Now does that help my point?

Edit: anyways I'm not going to point out anymore giving out (because it'll end up being a long winded argument derailing the thread), just saying it gets tedious.

• Advertisement

That would be the Express that Wednesday said we were bidding £56m for Cavani and then Thursday said we pulled the plug because of his wage demands. It's a rag.

They use mystic Meg, she isn't very mystic and not sure if her name is Meg, but wrong with rumours, wrong with extreme weather predictions, and wrong if one buys that paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If the likes of Schweinsteiget, Hummel's,Shaw and potentially Kroos are on a magical list...I can somewhat understand why things are taking time.

I don't think we are in for anyone obviously looking to leave their respective club bar Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd like to see Carvalho come in for a circa £20m price, should have promised the world to Fabregas if that's what it took but he's gone now and Chelsea are going to win the league. There are a tonne of players out there who would fit the bill but none are going to come in and be world beaters unless you are getting a Kroos or before today a Fabregas. I would be happy to shift all the dead weight and while the team are good enough to make the CL I'm not going in with the expectation of doing so which I think I may have if Moyes had stayed and gotten the business done by now. LVG better not just be fully focusing on Holland now because while I'm one of the more patient fans on here I think, if it makes it to mid July and he hasn't even started yet it could be problematic. Going to just enjoy the WC in the meantime and see though.

No, that would be the express that said on tuesday that TUTTOSPORT were reporting a bid for Cavani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Depressing looking at that Chelsea thread. They sell Luiz and Mata and have replaced them with Zouma, Cesc, Matic and soon to be Costa. Kinda makes me question my optimism in this summer's transfer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

At this stage any positive news on transfers is welcome. No news is certainly not good news

It's not so much the lack of discussion. It's the constant giving out because one or two teams have signed players and we haven't that annoys people I think. Everyone knows we need players but we aren't going to sign them right now because our manager is at the World Cup and to be fair, it's only June. So going day to day calling the club a disgrace or a joke because we haven't signed anyone ris a bit daft really. It's like people wake up at 8am, check to see if we've signed someone, then complain about it for the day when they see other transfers being done. I'll worry at the tail end of August if we've nothing done but there's more to the summer than giving out about a transfer not being done because the rags are playing on the United fans desperation for a signing.

This is exactly spot on.

Really? That was in the space of a couple of days. There's been more since that I can't be bothered going through to quote.

Now does that help my point?

Edit: anyways I'm not going to point out anymore giving out (because it'll end up being a long winded argument derailing the thread), just saying it gets tedious.

Did you even read my post? "Different people give their opinions at different times, there is no one person..."

Quoting posts from a bunch of different posters does not help your point at all, it helps mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

We have one of the highest profile, most respected coaches in the game who has a rep for being quite the harda$$....whatever needs to get done, will get done, there is no other option really whether that's one new player or 5 new players I don't know, but I trust LVG to know a lot more about who we need to sign and when we need to sign them than any of us.

It might even be that he signs just one player, but he improves and cajoles a number of existing players to play to their potential on a regular basis.

What we need is a good team, what we want is lots of shiney new players.

LVG will get it right, I'm confident of that and sure if not we'll give him the boot...cos that's the way we roll!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No, that would be the express that said on tuesday that TUTTOSPORT were reporting a bid for Cavani.

So an unreliable rag that uses an unreliable Italian source for a story prints unsubstantiated rumours about Utds transfer activities and you use it as a source for another rant against the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Anyone reckon LVG will copy his style of play with the Dutch team to United? Be interesting tonight to see how Holland play.

Anyone reckon LVG will copy his style of play with the Dutch team to United? Be interesting tonight to see how Holland play.

No.

They played 433 through qualification I believe, and are switching to 352/532 now, due to the injury to strootman mainly - so if it shows anything it shows LVG plays to what he percieves as the strength of the players at his disposal rather than a set formation the players have to bend to.

From reading interviews with him, he subscribes to a way of playing football and terms of tempo and pressing, but the formation itself is fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

352/532 is something I called for last season but I can't see Lvg using it with United regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    352/532 is something I called for last season with but I can't see Lvg using it with United regularly.

We lack the players to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

KH25 wrote: »
    We lack the players to use it.
    Don't agree with that at all.
    De Gea
    Rafael Evans Smalling Jones Evra
    Carrick Fellaini
    Mata
    Rooney Rvp

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.