Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Umm, what? Am I missing the joke in the above or are you really that bitter towards the guy to come up with this crap?

Wait 'till you hear what he has to say about Ed Woodwards missus! :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

brinty wrote: »
    Eh no, wait until the fcuker has played on the pitch

Ever since Mikel thats the only way i'm believing anyone is a Manchester United player

Yeah I was going to ask everyone to forget Mikel. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Umm, what? Am I missing the joke in the above or are you really that bitter towards the guy to come up with this crap?

i pay Ashley Young a compliment yet you still try to twist it into something else?

f*cking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

i pay Ashley Young a compliment yet you still try to twist it into something else?

f*cking hell.

Think he meant Cleverley...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Eh no, wait until the fcuker has played on the pitch

Ever since Mikel thats the only way i'm believing anyone is a Manchester United player

If Utd unveil a new signing you're sceptical until you see the player on the pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

f*cking hell.
    You're a funny guy. I obviously missed the well hidden joke where insulting Cleverley and his choice of partner is a compliment to Young.

Just to state it for the record, I don't care who is called what names or for what reason. I just don't expect those comments from certain people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

If Utd unveil a new signing you're sceptical until you see the player on the pitch?

Too right i am

we signed Mikel in january i think and he stayed in Oslo to come in during the summer, then the whole i was forced to sign and i wanna play for chelsea crap came about...

did he ever play for us despite his smiles and i'm happy to be coming to such a big club...not one minute

Until they've done the red jersey on a match day and stepped across that white line then i'm a non believer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Too right i am

we signed Mikel in january i think and he stayed in Oslo to come in during the summer, then the whole i was forced to sign and i wanna play for chelsea crap came about...

did he ever play for us despite his smiles and i'm happy to be coming to such a big club...not one minute

Until they've done the red jersey on a match day and stepped across that white line then i'm a non believer

Different scenario but Adem Ljajic was another one..... I'm still not sure if Mata plays for United or I am trapped in some parallel universe....

ericzeking wrote: »
    Different scenario but Adem Ljajic was another one..... I'm still not sure if Mata plays for United or I am trapped in some parallel universe....

We'd an option on Adem i think for about 18 months as part of the Tosic deal but Fergie felt he'd not progressed and decided against finalising the deal

Maybe for the best in the end!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Just seen there llana is 25. I dont think hes going to get much better. Id rather Liverpool took the chance on him.
    Id wonder why he played in the championship so long and is only getting attention now that Southampton had a good season.
    Do premier league scouts not look below midtable prem teams?
    Id rather give the game time to adnan or zaha or Powell.
    Waste of money. Bookmark this and laugh at me in a year if Im wrong.

Charlie Adam written all over him I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

i have a bit of respect for Young in this sense that he isnt that shallow to just base his woman on looks as some of them like Cleverly are.

Know Cleverley and his Mrs well do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Know Cleverley and his Mrs well do you?

was referring more to his past than current relationship to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

jane82 wrote: »
    Just seen there llana is 25. I dont think hes going to get much better. Id rather Liverpool took the chance on him.
    Id wonder why he played in the championship so long and is only getting attention now that Southampton had a good season.
    Do premier league scouts not look below midtable prem teams?
    Id rather give the game time to adnan or zaha or Powell.
    Waste of money. Bookmark this and laugh at me in a year if Im wrong.

Lallana was always very highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pics of what the Adidas United Kit might look like here:

https://twitter.com/Unitedology/status/464040046694514688/photo/1

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

there is absolutely no comparisons imo.

every signing has an element of risk attached, and yes Lallana probably a bit more, but he is a highly rated player at both club and International level.
    he is also very adaptable and has played in numerous positions, and I cant remember seeing such a naturally gifted two footed player in a long time - now those two things alone we cant ever say about oul Charlie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

zerks wrote: »

Continue our planned transformation into Bayern I guess....

Agueroooo wrote: »
    there is absolutely no comparisons imo.

every signing has an element of risk attached, and yes Lallana probably a bit more, but he is a highly rated player at both club and International level.
    he is also very adaptable and has played in numerous positions, and I cant remember seeing such a naturally gifted two footed player in a long time - now those two things alone we cant ever say about oul Charlie.

But we can see the same media frenzy England call up outstanding plsyer tag. After a few months of form.
    English and always as highly rated as you say where was the clamour to sign him.
    Why did for example zaha get snapped up before him.
    If all these Southampton players are such class acts and their manager is the next best thing why are they behind a terrible united team that had to play more games.
    The media would have you believe Lambert is at the top of the game too.
    Llana could end up surprising me but he would be a squad player at most for a good team. If united want to carry on the way they are llana is the man. Hes never gonna set the champions league alight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The risk of Lallana turning out to be a 'Downing or Carroll' or someone like that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. It'd be like saying why sign Pogba, he might turn into another Moussa Sissoko, a completely irrelevant argument. He's been the standout English player in the league the last 2 seasons. Rarely have I seen him play and not been impressed, but sure, we can live with Young and Valencia another season sure...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

But we can see the same media frenzy England call up outstanding plsyer tag. After a few months of form.
    English and always as highly rated as you say where was the clamour to sign him.
    If all these Southampton players are such class acts and their manager is the next best thing why are they behind a terrible united team that had to play more games.
    Llana could end up surprising me but he would be a squad player at most for a good team. If united want to carry on the way they are llana is the man. Hes never gonna set the champions league alight though.

We will put this on ice cause neither of us can really say.

lets watch him in the World Cup (if he gets lots of game time that is) and then again next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lallana is a step up from Young and Valencia and well Nani is always injured. For the rumored fee i don't think he is worth it for United. I think he is a very good player and would be a very good fit for Liverpool with their style.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    The risk of Lallana turning out to be a 'Downing or Carroll' or someone like that is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here. It'd be like saying why sign Pogba, he might turn into another Moussa Sissoko, a completely irrelevant argument. He's been the standout English player in the league the last 2 seasons. Rarely have I seen him play and not been impressed, but sure, we can live with Young and Valencia another season sure...

The standout English player?
    Come on now. Suprised the pool fans havnt latched onto that one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

My Goodness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Lallana will be good for Liverpool - he can take Sturridge's position when he pushes up to replace Suarez for next season.

Have always said I'd like Lalana but as a back up option to other players; a squad player, not first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lallana is a step up from Young and Valencia and well Nani is always injured. For the rumored fee i don't think he is worth it for United. I think he is a very good player and would be a very good fit for Liverpool with their style.

This. We paid £16m for Young never worth that so £20m only for a step up no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Reus rumours re-started for a few reasons.

One is there is no word on Reus and the new contract, with the word being no deal has yet been agreed.
    Rumours that United will make an official bid for him, with some claims (the truth likely to be another matter) that both clubs have held discussions on the transfer.
    When asked about his future, Reus at an awards ceremony said
    'It's like that in this business. Every player only has one career and wants to get the best out of it.
    'You have to decide what's best for you. We'll see about that.'

'Every footballer has his goals and is dreaming of winning titles. At the end of your career, you want to be able to say that you've won many titles.'

It would make United attractive to Reus, as Bayern are stronger both player wise and financially than Dortmund.
    Barcelona, Man City and PSG also said to want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »

If you are going to throw around words like "ridiculous" and "irrelevant" you should have a stronger argument than this load of rubbish.

Firstly, it is not ridiculous at all to comment that the latest in a long line of overhyped English players may turn out to be no different to all the overhyped English players that came before him.

Secondly, nobody is arguing that we would rather keep Valencia than sign Lallana, more strawman rubbish. People are simply saying that we would prefer a genuine world class first team player ahead of yet another solid squad player. Hardly a difficult concept.

Thirdly, the Pogba comparison is why the eyeroll smilie was invented. :rolleyes: There is simply no comparison between the risk in signing a 25 year old Adam Lallana or the 21 year old Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba. None whatsoever.

user2011 wrote: »
    This. We paid £16m for Young never worth that so £20m only for a step up no thanks.

I would spend what it took to get Reus, compared to Young or Lallana, Marco is on another stratosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Just after noticing Meyler has gotten away with his stamp on Januzaj because the ref said in his report he saw the incident and apparently had a word with him rather than show him a second yellow.

A load of bollocks that.

Arjen Robben: ‘I owe Van Gaal a lot - he really helped me as a player. I was not always playing for Bayern - but still he continued to pick me for the national team.
    ‘That faith he showed in me helped me as a player - and then I went on to play some of the best football of my career for Bayern.

‘I was not a special case - he shows faith in all of his players - and that is one of the reasons why players want to play for him - and why they like to play for him.'
    ‘There is something about going into a Van Gaal dressing room and training sessions - there is a positive vibe and a warmth to the place.
    ‘He creates a special environment for his players - and Manchester United will be very fortunate to have him as their coach.’

Yes, sounds very positive.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I would spend what it took to get Reus, compared to Young or Lallana, Marco is on another stratosphere.

For LvG system, Reus would suit it a lot better then Lallana.

Young would suit it too more then Valencia so we could actually keep Young give him a new contract and look to reduce his wage. But saying that I'd like to see both gone in the summer.

Get a back up player for £10-14m lower wages too.

Ah I can't wait for the summer transfer window to be over, see where we are at really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Feck sake all the quotes and interviews with him make me want him more than klopp now....... Can't believe I'm saying that

Hope he makes it would be crap to miss out because you don't know how to switch off your Kamikaze mode in meaningless games.
    "Phil's injury is not as bad as I thought it was on the night," Giggs said.

"He won't be available for Sunday (when United play Southampton), but he should be okay for the World Cup."

Also Rooney back training, probably get a run out for half an hour 20 mins on Sunday.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/world-cup-phil-jones-fit-make-brazil-finals-090248228--sow.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

TheTownie wrote: »
    Just after noticing Meyler has gotten away with his stamp on Januzaj because the ref said in his report he saw the incident and apparently had a word with him rather than show him a second yellow.

A load of bollocks that.

Foolish stamp, stupid thing to do but he's Irish, I like him and it means he can play in a FA Cup final so best of luck to him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Arjen Robben: ‘I owe Van Gaal a lot - he really helped me as a player. I was not always playing for Bayern - but still he continued to pick me for the national team.
    ‘That faith he showed in me helped me as a player - and then I went on to play some of the best football of my career for Bayern.

‘I was not a special case - he shows faith in all of his players - and that is one of the reasons why players want to play for him - and why they like to play for him.'
    ‘There is something about going into a Van Gaal dressing room and training sessions - there is a positive vibe and a warmth to the place.
    ‘He creates a special environment for his players - and Manchester United will be very fortunate to have him as their coach.’

625K7y.jpg

Hococop wrote: »
    Feck sake all the quotes and interviews with him make me want him more than klopp now....... Can't believe I'm saying that

Yeah, its weird. I was all aboard the Klopp Train a few weeks back, but since the LvG stuff has crept up....the more I read about LvG, the more I hear about him, I jusy feel he's the right man for the demolition job right now.

I don't know...I'd still love Klopp but I wonder would he do the same level of work and be the same level of arrogance we need right now that LvG can bring.

Yeah, its weird. I was all aboard the Klopp Train a few weeks back, but since the LvG stuff has crept up....the more I read about LvG, the more I hear about him, I jusy feel he's the right man for the demolition job right now.

I don't know...I'd still love Klopp but I wonder would he do the same level of work and be the same level of arrogance we need right now that LvG can bring.

Maybe we could still all love Klopp and when LvG has the inevitable melt down and falling out in 2/3 years time Klopp will be out of contract in Dortmund and we could get him in the...

I think several people would be going like this then....

625K7y.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i love the thing about when he was at AZ and he wanted to resign after a bad season but the players wanted him to stay and the next season they won the league

He seems to have massive faith in the players but isnt afraid to cut players out of his teams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

http://blog.paddypower.com/2014/05/09/graham-hunter-what-manchester-united-fans-should-know-about-louis-van-gaal-the-potential-fireworks-with-wayne-rooney-and-the-class-of-2014/?area=blog_home_carousel&button=Enter%20King%20Louis
    Graham Hunter: What Manchester United fans should know about Louis van Gaal, the potential fireworks with Wayne Rooney and the class of 2014

Excellent stuff.

Get. it. done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Foolish stamp, stupid thing to do but he's Irish, I like him and it means he can play in a FA Cup final so best of luck to him.

Meh, couldnt care less if he was my neighbour. Scummy thing to do and it should have been a straight red, never mind the consideration of a second yellow.

Would have no sympathy for him if he did miss the final.

The standard of refereeing is hitting all time lows in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

adox wrote: »
    Meh, couldnt care less if he was my neighbour. Scummy thing to do and it should have been a straight red, never mind the consideration of a second yellow.

Would have no sympathy for him if he did miss the final.

The standard of refereeing is hitting all time lows in England.

Didn't look intentional to me. At most it should have been a second yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What's going on? Why has he not been unveiled? Remember the press were wrong about Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

adox wrote: »
    OT: Where did you stay?

Love Vegas.

MGM Grand cos we were going to the fight. Some spot alright. Didn't manage to do 1 thing I had planned besides the fight though haha

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    MGM Grand cos we were going to the fight. Some spot alright. Didn't manage to do 1 thing I had planned besides the fight though haha

The lovely ladies tend to be busy fight week Vertigo :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

The lovely ladies tend to be busy fight week Vertigo :cool:

There was a huge amount of them around. Their services are not for me but a few guys didn't leave their rooms for a few days ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If you are going to throw around words like "ridiculous" and "irrelevant" you should have a stronger argument than this load of rubbish.

Firstly, it is not ridiculous at all to comment that the latest in a long line of overhyped English players may turn out to be no different to all the overhyped English players that came before him.

Secondly, nobody is arguing that we would rather keep Valencia than sign Lallana, more strawman rubbish. People are simply saying that we would prefer a genuine world class first team player ahead of yet another solid squad player. Hardly a difficult concept.

Thirdly, the Pogba comparison is why the eyeroll smilie was invented. :rolleyes: There is simply no comparison between the risk in signing a 25 year old Adam Lallana or the 21 year old Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba. None whatsoever.

Lallana is more than a solid player. He's technically the best English player I've seen since a young Wayne Rooney. I don't know what argument you're trying to make with regards their age, Lallana is far more proven than Pogba. Lallana is underhyped if anything really, a really good player who impresses against the best and worst teams in the league. Maybe it's Southampton's system contributing to it and he'll struggle elsewhere, there's always that risk, I don't think it's the case at all though. With Pogba I was comparing the risk of him not turning out as expected, purely based on the fact of his nationality, hardly a rolleyes worthy statement with people bringing up a players nationality to base how good he is. But go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

What's going on? Why has he not been unveiled? Remember the press were wrong about Redknapp.

He has a World Cup to prepare for which he has been craving for years with Holland. Might need to iron out some issues with Holland/potential coaching staff/Man United. Who knows? There is hardly a rush for an announcement when he won't be effectively in charge until after he wins the World Cup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

zerks wrote: »

I think that red United shirt would be very nice...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement