Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jane82 wrote: »
    A shalke left back was saying united were sniffing about a few Weeks ago. I dont think Shaw is done.

Realistically, we could need two left backs; Evra is gone, and while I like Buttner, I don't know if he'll ever get past the status he's at now. So you could see Shaw and the Schalke guy.

Or his agent was simply hyping him up; the amount of no-namers we get linked to but never sign is pretty high :P

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

v3ttel wrote: »
    #GiggsOut

#GiggsIn

#GiggsOut

#GiggsShakeItAllAbout

The Glazers are pure daycent making big calls!!

Uh oh, are the Glazers are taking the easy option?!

#KloppOut

#KloppIn

"Everyone could see it. Except all of you here. You're all so ridiculous"

This is just nuts. Completely bonkers. Why should Wilson, Janko & Giggs miss out on their awards, which are not related to this seasons first team performance? Why should David De Gea not be recognised for being the outstanding performer in an otherwise woeful season? All the awards were thoroughly deserved.

Amazing... I completely expect it to be ignored and then business to resume as normal.

Also lols at whoever suggested Lallana is ahead of Pogba. Pogba in 3 years time will be one of the best CM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Aloysius Paulus Maria van Gaal, is all I took from that Paddy Power blog!

Can we refer to him as Aloysius from now on?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Liam O wrote: »
    Nah, Lallana's English, ergo he's at the level of Lee Cattermole. There's no other explanation. No English player with hype has ever been good, not Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney, he must be the next Charlie Adam.

The only person using hyperbole in this argument is you, nobody else has said anything even like this, whereas you have said that Lallana is technically the best English footballer since Wayne Rooney. Rubbish posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I think the Shaw deal is already done, so will likely be announced soon after the manager is.

Top 4 minimum, with a decent challenge for the title. What we should have been doing this season, basically. With investments, the bedding in period over for Mata, Januzaj a year older and no Europe to hinder us, should be a demand we get top 4.

I reckon 100m myself; one or two BIG names, and then a few smaller players. Will depend on who comes and goes though.
    Nice to see a bit of optimism around here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ah lads lads lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

jane82 wrote: »
    Wrestled di canio to get the ball off him to take a peno when dicanio wanted to take it.

Just to correct you, di Canio took the ball off Lampard and took the penalty.

Ah lads lads lads.
    What's wrong petal?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The only person using hyperbole in this argument is you, nobody else has said anything even like this, whereas you have said that Lallana is technically the best English footballer since Wayne Rooney. Rubbish posting.

I know someone said he's more likely to be another Charlie Adam but on the phone so can't check.

I love that you say rubbish but don't provide an alternative argument, happens way too often on here...all I know is that he's had an extremely productive season playing for an upper mid table team and outclassed players and teams much more overhyped than he could ever hope to be. He's been the best player in pretty much every league he's been in and now is among the top in the premier league. But I guess rubbish posting as an argument negates all of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

irishfeen wrote: »

I would be quite optimistic too. If we got a world class CB, LF and even one CM, I think we could mount a serious title challenge. Especially if you factor in no European matches, and a very big squad.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I was optimistic all summer last year too, naively so. :P

Seen this doing the rounds; Ronaldo's first year vs Januzajs
    (Disclaimer: I think it's stupid to compare the two so early. But here it is anyway....)

qaAicPP.png

Nice to see the 1968 lads being remembered in the rebel county...

4rqb0j.jpg

Seen this doing the rounds; Ronaldo's first year vs Januzajs
    (Disclaimer: I think it's stupid to compare the two so early. But here it is anyway....)

qaAicPP.png

The lad is going to be a joy to watch over the coming years. Could really develop into a world class talent under LVG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

stats only tell one thing, Ronaldo was absolutely sensational for us in his first season and completely at a different level to what Adnan achieved this year.

he absolutely walked our player of the year award and picked up official club man of the match in a huge amount of games.

Adnan had a decent season, but nowhere near the levels people give him credit for...not that there is anything wrong with that, he is only a kid and i am delighted that we have him.

stats only tell one thing, Ronaldo was absolutely sensational for us in his first season and completely at a different level to what Adnan achieved this year.

he absolutely walked our player of the year award and picked up official club man of the match in a huge amount of games.

Adnan had a decent season, but nowhere near the levels people give him credit for...not that there is anything wrong with that, he is only a kid and i am delighted that we have him.

Januzaj came from the youth squad. Ronaldo had a season of first team football before his debut for united. That does make a difference. Not saying januzaj is the next ronaldo though.
    It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bmcc10 wrote: »
    He's been hyped this 6 years.

Why has he not moved past this level and Southampton yet? When he was playing League 1 for Southampton and they were in trouble financially how come even a championship team didnt swoop?

He has had a cracking season, I think he has improved a lot as a player as he is reaching his peak, but I am not sure how much further he can progress before he hits his ceiling, that would worry me for the money he would cost.

Its a transfer I wouldnt mind missing out on

What's wrong petal?? :)

Pogba>Lallana Feen all the way.

Nice to see the 1968 lads being remembered in the rebel county...

4rqb0j.jpg

Sure Cork has produced some fine players for United

Keane, Irwin, Cantwell, Carey........ehhh Miller

• Advertisement

I don't get this pogba - Lallana thing. Two completely different players and situations.
    For what it's worth Lallana could make the step up IMO. Good technically, great engine and versatile. Would be a good addition to our squad, though I don't think he would be a first teamer.

Think pogba is a bit overrated by some on here. A fine player, looks world class at times. But a lot midfielders would look much better than they are if playing alongside Vidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Add Rory Gallagher and The Frank and Walters to that and you have everything decent to ever come out of Cork :pac:

Add Rory Gallagher and The Frank and Walters to that and you have everything decent to ever come out of Cork :pac:

JBM and Jack Lynch added and we will say no more.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Rory Gallagher fan?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher fan?

Yep. I like all good music. About as wide a taste in music as you are ever likely to counter. Ambient and Classical to Hard House and Hard Rock and everything in between.
    Except Death Metal, Hardstyle and Dubstep obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Rory Gallagher fan?

Who isn't?! You're missing out if you're not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The lad is going to be a joy to watch over the coming years. Could really develop into a world class talent under LVG

If LVG is finally appointed, you could nearly guarantee that Januzaj will turn into a world class talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yep. I like all good music. About as wide a taste in music as you are ever likely to counter. Ambient and Classical to Hard House and Hard Rock and everything in between.

You pretty much summed up my own taste in music there.:)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

*in my best Borat voice

I like you.

Any fans of Zeppelin and early black sabbath?

Bbc4 on Friday nights is a must for fans of proper music. Rolling Stones night tonight :)

*in my best Borat voice

I like you.

Sure I always knew that ;)

• Advertisement

I don't get this pogba - Lallana thing. Two completely different players and situations.
    For what it's worth Lallana could make the step up IMO. Good technically, great engine and versatile. Would be a good addition to our squad, though I don't think he would be a first teamer.

Think pogba is a bit overrated by some on here. A fine player, looks world class at times. But a lot midfielders would look much better than they are if playing alongside Vidal.

I compared people saying that Lallana would be the next Charlie Adam, Carroll or Downing purely on the basis of him being British to someone saying Pogba will be the next Moussa Sissoko just because he's French and some of the sensationalist posters seen that as comparing Lallana and Pogba and it snowballed from there...

Januzaj came from the youth squad. Ronaldo had a season of first team football before his debut for united. That does make a difference. Not saying januzaj is the next ronaldo though.
    It will be interesting to see how he progresses over the next couple of years

Would it not then in fact, be more impressive that a kid came, away from his home and family and shined like that straight away?

There is no way Jan looks favourable in comparison to Ronaldo, it isnt fair to do it either

Ronnie did a James Wilson on it for Sporting actually, scored at under 16, 17, 18, reserves and first team in one season (2 on his first team debut)
    The guy is out there in a very special group, comparing young talent to him is not fair as they will never really come out looking good.

He is a phenomenon.

Edit: To hell with it Im adding some pictures

0.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ronaldo-cl-1384179535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

If LVG is finally appointed, you could nearly guarantee that Januzaj will turn into a world class talent.

Thats if he plays him. Its well documented that LVG gives youth a chance for sure but I believe that this only occurs when the players fits a certain mold. As Im not hugely knowledgeable on Van Gaal I could be talking ****e and Januzaj could be the exact player that he likes. But on the otherside of it he might choose to go another direction for what ever reason. I hope Jan does turn into the player that many here believe he will be but I think who LVG takes a liking to is very much up in the air at the moment.

Where do people think Januzaj will play in the future? He was a disaster when tried behind the striker and had a lot of stinkers on the wing. I think going on loan to a good premier league team who will play him every week would be a good move- Southampton maybe if Lallana goes.

kryogen wrote: »
    Would it not then in fact, be more impressive that a kid came, away from his home and family and shined like that straight away?

There is no way Jan looks favourable in comparison to Ronaldo, it isnt fair to do it either

Ronnie did a James Wilson on it for Sporting actually, scored at under 16, 17, 18, reserves and first team in one season (2 on his first team debut)
    The guy is out there in a very special group, comparing young talent to him is not fair as they will never really come out looking good.

He is a phenomenon.

Totally agree. I wasn't comparing them. Actually I think they are quite different players.
    Ronaldo is a once in a generation type of player.
    Hope that januzaj can plough his own furrow. He'll do well in time.

Where do people think Januzaj will play in the future? He was a disaster when tried behind the striker and had a lot of stinkers on the wing. I think going on loan to a good premier league team who will play him every week would be a good move- Southampton maybe if Lallana goes.

I see him as a number 10, he has always looked best from the RW so far imo, but I see him developing best as a number 10

We can never have too many of them sure :P

Totally agree. I wasn't comparing them. Actually I think they are quite different players.
    Ronaldo is a once in a generation type of player.
    Hope that januzaj can plough his own furrow. He'll do well in time.

Me too, but I am delighted to hear he idolises Ronnies approach to the game, and to training etc. That kind of example in terms of work ethic and dedication will stand him in good stead for the future.

Gives himself every chance of reaching his full potential

Aye a great little place alright - and don't forget we played a massive role in Irish independence with Mick Collins and the likes ... They owe us a wee bit :)

I wouldn't loan him out. Give him the chance in the first team and preserver with him. He'll have bad games, but that's natural.
    For all Ronaldo's plaudits, he had some stinkers himself. Anyone remember that CL game, years ago, an ronaldo was losing the ball, taking shots from mad angles, it was a disaster. SAF subbed Giggs instead of ronaldo, and you could clearly see Giggs say " why didn't you take off that show pony?"
    It took ronaldo time to be the player he is

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

You forgot the road to Waterford!!

• Advertisement

I see him as a number 10, he has always looked best from the RW so far imo, but I see him developing best as a number 10

We can never have too many of them sure :P

I don't think he's good enough at finding pockets of space for that, now with Scholes(if he's still around), Kagawa and Mata around that could change but at the moment he just runs straight at the defender. The noises about his gym work are encouraging on this regard as he could start overpowering people instead of falling over everytime he gets into a tangle.

He had a very good season in an appalling team this season.

I don't have Midfield figures but he had more goals and assists in around February then many other combined.

Lad is still so young.

Me too, but I am delighted to hear he idolises Ronnies approach to the game, and to training etc. That kind of example in terms of work ethic and dedication will stand him in good stead for the future.

Gives himself every chance of reaching his full potential

Yep, it's so important that he values hard work instead of getting carried away with the hype and fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭BigBabyTaylor

Id prefer to see him stay out on the wing. I think it gives him a bit more space to use attributes he already has like his pace, crossing and ability to beat a player.

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    You forgot the road to Waterford!!

There's a fair amount of you lot in the United ranks here, bit of a stronghold down there it seems.

I don't think he's good enough at finding pockets of space for that, now with Scholes(if he's still around), Kagawa and Mata around that could change but at the moment he just runs straight at the defender. The noises about his gym work are encouraging on this regard as he could start overpowering people instead of falling over everytime he gets into a tangle.

He is only 18 :)

Let him learn to find the pockets of space with experience. Its where he has been talked about playing in the future for a long time now, and if that is where he sees himself in the future I hope he will do what he needs to do to improve into the role

I dont think he has enough speed to be a top class winger, but it is way too early to be judging anything I suppose

There's a fair amount of you lot in the United ranks here, bit of a stronghold down there it seems.

Yeah and to my memory the only feckin supporters club is out in Dungarvan :(

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

He is a phenomenon.

I really hope we are not building Wilson up too much and that he doesn't end up like another Macheda! Having a home grown striker banging in goals like Wilson would make winning games extra special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

We don't have much else going for us :pac:

• Advertisement

I like Waterford I have to say.

Best mate wife from Tramore and know few lads from there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement