Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I had been certain that LVG was on his way, but I'm really doubting it now - I think United are backing off this deal, and I fear it isn't because they have someone better lined up. I think either Giggs being on the ticket or Fergie in the background are the sticking points in this deal.

Hope I am wrong, or that it is sorted soon - would love to see it announced at about 4.50pm tomorrow...

I reckon if its not announced on Monday, its time to panic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I won't be panicking till a few days after the German cup final, cause I wouldn't be shocked if United still are eyeing up klopp or Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Didnt Fergie want him to take over when he was originally going to retire?

possibly, i don't know.

My worry is that LVG has seen that Fergie still has a large influence at the club, in both the decision making of the club and with the players at the club, and he doesn't want anyone with more football influence at the club than himself. We have all read that he has a big ego - which is a good part of the reason that I want him at the club - and I can see his ego not wanting wanting someone like Fergie potentially sticking his oar into his business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was thinking the delay was on Uniteds side, his interview during the week made it look like he wanted the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If we lose Wellbeck or Hernandez would have him back as 4th choice striker.

Ha

Haha

Hahahahahaha

Oh, you're serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We could be waiting a bit yet.

Who knows.

I had been certain that LVG was on his way, but I'm really doubting it now - I think United are backing off this deal, and I fear it isn't because they have someone better lined up. I think either Giggs being on the ticket or Fergie in the background are the sticking points in this deal.

Hope I am wrong, or that it is sorted soon - would love to see it announced at about 4.50pm tomorrow...

You can get nearly 20/1 on Van Gaal not getting the job if you are really doubting it. He's 1/20 to get it. Closest rival is 110/1

I'd say it's a dead cert he'll be your next boss tbh.

We could be waiting a bit yet.

Who knows.

wait like we did last summer? how did that work out for us? World Cup year, and after a shocking season, we really can't be wasting time or losing out on signings because they have gone to some other team that actually has a manager.

wait like we did last summer? how did that work out for us? World Cup year, and after a shocking season, we really can't be wasting time or losing out on signings because they have gone to some other team that actually has a manager.

Say it will be done soon maybe next week but don't be surprised if its not official.

No need to panic. It's pretty much dusted I reckon, but might just need but of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah, "imagined" is how I would describe it. I remember you saying it throughout the season, but what you were saying never matched up with what I was seeing.

Seriously? He was like a headless chicken in the majority of games since Christmas. As I said there's no problem with that at his age and with the right guidance he could be a fantastic player but he shouldn't have been getting as many games as he was during that period with superior players on the bench. People want him to be better than he is right now but the future is bright for him if his hard work quotes aren't just rhetoric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Liam O wrote: »
    Seriously? He was like a headless chicken in the majority of games since Christmas. As I said there's no problem with that at his age and with the right guidance he could be a fantastic player but he shouldn't have been getting as many games as he was during that period with superior players on the bench. People want him to be better than he is right now but the future is bright for him if his hard work quotes aren't just rhetoric.

Calling him a headless chicken is just plain ridiculous. The young lad clearly has a very good football brain and can play within a structure without sacrificing his natural flair.
    Now I agree that sometimes he was below par during the season but he needs to be let play through those times and gain experience from it and what better time to allow him do that than this season when we weren't in contention for any honours.
    His movement off the ball is incredible by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Out of curiosity any one know what is the feeling of the dutch people about it and dutch media, considering they have a world cup next month they won't be too happy with all the speculation of lvg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I am almost certain the deal is done.

There is no rush to announce the manager, let Giggs have his moment until the season ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I hope some fans realise that van Gaal isn't going to buy six players this summer. He'll make use of the current crop while promoting youth. He has said that he needs a left footed CB for his system many times so we would probably need to buy one. Mangala is left footed.

I'd say a CB, CM and LB will be the extent of our business unless we lose more players.

regardless of my feelings that the deal could be going south, I do think a deal/contract is almost sorted - basically done. I think it is final agreement from both sides that is required - my worry is what is holding up that final agreement.

Another possible reason is that they want to announce LVG and his coaching team in one go, and that would require possible sackings, so they want to wait until after the season is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The biggest negative for Adnan is, he is moved off the ball to easy for me (can be sorted with a few workouts in the gym Ronaldo like :P) he has all the other attributes to be a really good player for us. Can he be great? Let's see.

I wouldn't be too hard or over confident with him, I'll say this, he was bright spark in a very dull and very forgettable season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

City win the league and we announce Van Gaal the day after, rain on their parade big time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

dahat wrote: »
    City win the league and we announce Van Gaal the day after, rain on their parade big time!

It'll not rain on their parade.

as if to put my concerns to bed....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-assure-next-manager-3523930

"Louis van Gaal will become Manchester United boss after being assured Sir Alex Ferguson will not play a major role in the club’s future, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd say if Van Gaal thinks he will get the job he will already be watching tapes of games to get a general feel for what he will need before he even hits the training ground outside of his duties now with the national team.

He will be well prepared and Woody won't want to fcuk it up like last year as well so I think we will do whatever business we need to as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

dahat wrote: »

Not even close. I doubt they will even care.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What superior players were on the bench in January before Mata signed? I hope the answer isn't Kagawa because he was only "better" on name/history rather than performance and started some games with Jan.

After Mata signed he only started 5 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Perhaps LVG wants to meet up with his International Players and meet before it's announced. sounds like it's a done deal

user2011 wrote: »
    The biggest negative for Adnan is, he is moved off the ball to easy for me (can be sorted with a few workouts in the gym Ronaldo like :P) he has all the other attributes to be a really good player for us. Can he be great? Let's see.

I wouldn't be too hard or over confident with him, I'll say this, he was bright spark in a very dull and very forgettable season.

He had a good season, taking everything into consideration he had a very good season.

He has plenty of negatives, but he has some serious potential and I look forward to seeing him progress in the coming years. Like I said, if he has the attitude toward work and training that he espouses then he will give himself every chance of fulfilling his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I'd say if Van Gaal thinks he will get the job he will already be watching tapes of games to get a general feel for what he will need before he even hits the training ground outside of his duties now with the national team.

He will be well prepared and Woody won't want to fcuk it up like last year as well so I think we will do whatever business we need to as soon as possible.

If Woody puts in another performance like last summer LVG will break him in half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yes seriously. I think pretty much all of your criticisms of him are wrong.

Amusingly (to me anyway) I have started to look at players and judge them on how I think LvG would rate them, under the radar players also, one who keeps sticking out, is Roberto Firmino, currently plying his trade in Germany for Hoffenheim, he has had an outstanding season with 16 goal and 12 assists in the league in 33 games, 6 goals and 4 assists in 4 games in the cup! . Could probably still be got for a decent fee, 15-20 million considering he is still somewhat of an unknown on the world scene.

Now the upturn in goals I would wager has a lot to do with him having played through the centre mostly this season, but he is more then capable of playing LW or RW, particularly in a Van Gaal system imo. This season will obviously bring him to the attention of a few clubs this summer, and he has been linked to the likes of Liverpool, PSG and Milan so far but I would think he could be a Louis Van Gaal player maybe.

One I will keep an eye on for the window anyway

Draxler is another one in Germany actually, things gone quiet around him and I cant say I have been following his progress since January tbh

If Arsenal resurrect their apparent interest he could be in the Premier League anyway I suppose but I wouldnt mind a double raid on Schalke for himself and Howedes :)

Does he get on with the Bayern lads still ya?

Does he get on with the Bayern lads still ya?

I would imagine at all of his former clubs he gets on with some and others have a nice healthy amount of disdain for him :)

Robben has been very positive about him, Badstuber and Muller surely have an affinity for him given that he was the one who brought them through, Alaba thoo actually

Luca Toni wouldnt be a fan mind you (I know he isnt still with Bayern :))

• Advertisement

Telegraph saying Evra on his way to Inter with Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Telegraph saying Evra on his way to Inter with Vidic

Just about to post that,Mirror and others going with Hummels,Reus,Kroos as the first 3 on the list for LVG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

syngindub wrote: »
    Perhaps LVG wants to meet up with his International Players and meet before it's announced. sounds like it's a done deal

Why would he want to meet though? He's leaving after the WC anyway not really a concern and not as if it's a distraction.

United are trolling City & Liverpool,their biggest day of the season and United will probably announce LVG as manager thus dominating the media coverage for the next few days.;):pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

zerks wrote: »
    United are trolling City & Liverpool,their biggest day of the season and United will probably announce LVG as manager thus dominating the media coverage for the next few days.;):pac:

jNFqw.gif

Nice to see you Al

Mr Alan wrote: »
    jNFqw.gif

e4qYqcQ.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

More Goodfellas gifs!

goodfellas-o.gif

200_s.gif

Hard to do on the mobile :( Dont think they came out right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Just watched that last night too. Gf hadn't seen it.... crazy.

kryogen wrote: »
    Hard to do on the mobile :( Dont think they came out right

lqFZrbs.gif

Kate Upton last night, Goodfellas tonight, its a good weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

And to round out the night...the woman that got me through puberty
    SbDt6.gif

zerks wrote: »

Does Hunter hate Rooney or something :pac: seems like the media will start the Rooney crap yet again.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    And to round out the night...the woman that got me through puberty
    SbDt6.gif

cád is ainm duit?

cád is ainm duit?
    SALMA HAYEK!! Jaysus lad have ye never seen Desperado...sweet sufferin' jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaysus

**Purely for scientific viewing**

smrJU.gif

Anyway lads back to the football for heavens sake.

So that Ronaldo lad is fair good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How many managers have won the premier league in their first season?

Just to know the presumably small group Van Gaal will be joining

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement