Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

murpho999 wrote: »
    Losing against Chelsea was the key result and I would hardly call losing against them bottling it. The Palace result didn't really matter in the end.

If anything they will gain confidence from this season as they weren't expected to be challenging at all.

Chelsea were there for the taking, players rested, not in great form anyway and turned up to play on the break. Naivety cost Liverpool there and the Palace game was very much relevant whether you want to think so or not. Results affect other teams as well as your own, title races can hinge on such things.

They tailed off badly, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

murpho999 wrote: »
    Losing against Chelsea was the key result and I would hardly call losing against them bottling it. The Palace result didn't really matter in the end.

If anything they will gain confidence from this season as they weren't expected to be challenging at all.

Ah come on man. You bottled it. It was in your hands and Rodgers got it completely wrong against Chelsea. Then against Palace it was bottled again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

"The one and only formation Louis van Gaal believes in is 4-3-3. Most of the time, that means one defensive midfielder, two hardworking central midfielders—one of them allowed to be more creative—and one striker, assisted by two wingers or inside forwards."

We don't really have the midfielders to play this system. I think he may look to bring in two CMs before next season.

we dont have midfielders to play any system to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

glued wrote: »
    They bottled it at the end. It's been a great season but with a sick end for you lads. That'll leave a huge mental scar with a lot of players. City were in 1st gear all season and still managed to win the league.

City got 86 points playing in 1st gear?!? God help everyone if they ever move to 2nd... :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This is absolute garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

I'll give it two weeks before he openly offers himself to Real and Barca.

Quite possible, the one good thing from a Liverpool perspective is that I don't think they'll let him go unless the club is entirely happy with the deal. The owners last summer played hardball in fairness to them, if he hawks himself I'd expect a similar response from owners this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Season done and dusted (thank god). Let the rumours on transfer and managers begin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Quite possible, the one good thing from a Liverpool perspective is that I don't think they'll let him go unless the club is entirely happy with the deal. The owners last summer played hardball in fairness to them, if he hawks himself I'd expect a similar response from owners this summer

In fairness the owners didn't play hardball, Arsenal were just idiots with that 40m +1 offer. 50m would have had him in the bag and won them the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Season done and dusted (thank god). Let the rumours on transfer and managers begin
    I'd say its going to be a wild wild ride this summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

What's the story with the Liverpool fan invasion here?

Can you not all go console yourselves in your own thread please? Mental how in your most successful season in ages, your main obsession is coming in here to tell us about it.

Nothing has been more majestic then watching you get so close and come away with nothing, after that ****e with the celebrations and mini parade before the Chelsea match deserved it. For a "big" club, has a lot to learn about winning competitions and leagues : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Never really paid much attention to Shaw as I cant say I watch Southampton regularly but he was sublime today, had Januzaj in his pocket the whole game. Came off early to a standing ovation....is he on his way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

In fairness the owners didn't play hardball, Arsenal were just idiots with that 40m +1 offer. 50m would have had him in the bag and won them the title.

it was later liverpool admited they had triggered the release clause with the 40+1 but denied its existence
    link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

That parade was the cringiest thing I've ever seen, honestly

what was it for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

TheDoc wrote: »
    What's the story with the Liverpool fan invasion here?

Can you not all go console yourselves in your own thread please? Mental how in your most successful season in ages, your main obsession is coming in here to tell us about it.

Nothing has been more majestic then watching you get so close and come away with nothing, after that ****e with the celebrations and mini parade before the Chelsea match deserved it. For a "big" club, has a lot to learn about winning competitions and leagues : /

You'll find 5 pages of Utd fans talking about liverpool before the fans came in.

Nothing has been more majestic?!? Not even when you watched Utd winning the league??

Neither Utd fans or liverpool fans are obsessed with the other club (well i'm sure some are but thats a huge minority). Its just a huge rivalry where both clubs wish failure on the other. Nothing wrong with it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A little light relief

http://youtu.be/axc3etRBxLI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep but Liverpool will make much bitter turd seeds than City! :p

fyp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A lot of critics for Evra this season. I do think we need a new LB.
    But for me Rio Ferdinand is completely finished as far as playing in the premiership.
    Giggs must have a good bond with him to have plaued him in them games that he did. No retirement announcement from him as yet but surely he cant be a man utd player next year? Not even as cover in the squad.
    Agreat servant and player he was. But its over now for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭billyhead

What was everyones highlight of the season apart from the obvious i.e Moyes getting the sack. Mine was the emergence of Januzai as a potential future star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beating Arsenal
    Beating Greeks 3-0 at home.
    Few of CL group performances were good.
    Rooney goal against West Ham.

After that I can't think of anything major.

John Henry said in an interview a few months ago that there was a clause but FSG weren't budging. Not sure how true that is tbh.
    One thing he did state was that selling to Arsenal was a no go as it directly strengthens a rival, if Suarez does try and engineer a move away the one theing the owners should do is sell to a club outside England (whilst bleeding every penny they can)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My highlight of the season was when it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Highlight of the season for me was

1 - De Gea. In a team where everyone had large periods of terrible form he was rock solid. Delighted for him

2 - Signing Mata. A top class manager will be able to utilise him properly next season

3 - Januzaj

billyhead wrote: »
    What was everyones highlight of the season apart from the obvious i.e Moyes getting the sack. Mine was the emergence of Januzai as a potential future star

Keeping Rooney
    Signing Mata
    DDG and his season
    Januzai
    Evras goal v Bayern
    Pool not winning the league!
    Not having to play in europa lg :)

Highlight of my season was that Evra goal v Bayern and the 20 seconds after - It has been an awful long time since I celebrated a goal in such fashion... it gave us a glimmer of hope in a rotten season.

But for me Rio Ferdinand is completely finished as far as playing in the premiership.
    Giggs must have a good bond with him to have plaued him in them games that he did. No retirement announcement from him as yet but surely he cant be a man utd player next year? Not even as cover in the squad.

Can't see the new manager holding onto Ferdinand, I'm guessing his wages are high, use that wedge for a 1st teamer,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

billyhead wrote: »

Mata and De Gea's blossoming romance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

It annoyed the hell out of me that Giggs came out and said rio and evra should get new contracts. Both are finished at this level.

It annoyed the hell out of me that Giggs came out and said rio and evra should get new contracts. Both are finished at this level.

Might get slated for saying it but, i could see an argument for Evra getting another year.
    But Rio??? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest that comment compounded my thoughts on Giggs as a manager at this time. Putting too much respect and emphasis on "experience"

Team needs an almighty kick up the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

TheDoc wrote: »
    To be honest that comment compounded my thoughts on Giggs as a manager at this time. Putting too much respect and emphasis on "experience"

Team needs an almighty kick up the arse.

They really do. Giggs might also need a kick up the arse.
    In fairness, I think quite a few of the players have been winging it for quite some time, even before the appointment of moyes. And I'm not sure any manager can get them all performing again.
    The deadwood needs replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Might get slated for saying it but, i could see an argument for Evra getting another year.
    But Rio??? No way.

I'd be of the exact opposite opinion. Rio is being scapegoated despite being alright-pretty good for a lot if his games this season but Evra was an abomination. Now I don't want either to stay as I imagine they'd be 2 of the biggest loudmouths in the dressing room and probably contributed to the lack of respect for Moyes.

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd be of the exact opposite opinion. Rio is being scapegoated despite being alright-pretty good for a lot if his games this season but Evra was an abomination. Now I don't want either to stay as I imagine they'd be 2 of the biggest loudmouths in the dressing room and probably contributed to the lack of respect for Moyes.

Have to agree with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So, a historically poor season in the books. What are your expectations for next year? You'd have to be delighted with a spot in the CL right?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    So, a historically poor season in the books. What are your expectations for next year? You'd have to be delighted with a spot in the CL right?
    United go for Premier League titles, anything less is a poor season in everyone's books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Might be totally wrong but have a feeling Utd board delayed announcing LVG yet as manager as they want to see if Ancelotti could be tempted to come if two things happened..1~ they fail to win league..box ticked;) 2~ they lose Champ league final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Depends on what happens in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

irishfeen wrote: »
    United go for Premier League titles, anything less is a poor season in everyone's books.

Hmm, bullish post given the level of haplessness on display this year tbh.
    Depends on what happens in the Summer.

Suppose. The manager selection will drive expectations to a degree I'm sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Top 4 is absolute minimum next season, same as this.

I would demand Top 3 next season.

Winning league might take little more time.

Depends on summer and who City get too.

They are team to catch

I think United are still a 'little horse' as Mourinho would say. A lot of work still to be done. I would look at 15/16 as more of a reasonable target for a title challenge. I think the primary aim of 14/15 should be to get back into the top four. I expect United to buy a lot of players and that bedding in process will take some getting used to, especially when you consider there's a new manager at the helm.

Personally I think Chelsea will be the team to beat next season. If they buy a top striker or two, and I think they will, then they could take the title by 10+ points imo.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

hmmm dunno about that. ive great time for Rio as i think he breaths the club, but his performances have been awful all season save for 2 or 3 good ones.

in fairness however, he was no worse than anybody else as the entire squad apart from a few players was awful for the majority of the season.

simple logic suggests that either Evra or Rio will be there next season and if Shaw is coming in, i have a feeling Rio will stay. we need that experience.

a back 8 of Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Rio, Evans, New CB, New LB, Buttner (assuming of course the 2 signings are top class for instance Hummels and Shaw) would put us in good shape, while not being great at the same time.

it would definately be a defence for the future, as opposed to being world beaters next season, its very young and i think there is room for Rio in there.

Hmm, bullish post given the level of haplessness on display this year tbh.
    To be honest its not bullish at all - United won the league last year under SAF, everyone knows the team even last year was in need of major surgery... a new experienced manager, the signing of Mata, the settling down of some young players and the potential of a few more additions over the summer means the future is bright.

We should never ever get into the mindset that losing the PL is acceptable because that could be a very slippery slope - no PL title next year is another unsuccessful one at OT.

Personally I think Chelsea will be the team to beat next season. If they buy a top striker or two, and I think they will, then they could take the title by 10+ points imo.

I disagree here dude.

City had bad run with injuries. Agureo,Silva and Yaya out for spells as well as few others .

They can't have it much worse. Add in new signings and they could get worryingly strong.

I disagree here dude.

City had bad run with injuries. Agureo,Silva and Yaya out for spells as well as few others .

They can't have it much worse. Add in new signings and they could get worryingly strong.

True, but consider that Mourinho's record against the top sides this season was very good. More firepower will make Chelsea stronger against the lesser sides that they struggled against, and if his record against his rivals continues, I think Chelsea could grab the title race by the scruff of the neck.

I disagree here dude.

its actually scary to see what damage City could do with one or two signings and an injury free run for their big 4 players (similiar to the free run that DDG, Rio,Carrick and RVP had last season for us).

the reality is, they should have walked that league and had it wrapped up early April like we did last year.

as it stands, i think this would be the top 6 next season but this could considerably change once the summer is over.

City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    United
    Spurs

True, but consider that Mourinho's record against the top sides this season was very good. More firepower will make Chelsea stronger against the lesser sides that they struggled against, and if his record against his rivals continues, I think Chelsea could grab the title race by the scruff of the neck.

I do agree with above. Good points. I just think myself City will be the big guys again, but I see what you mean.

its actually scary to see what damage City could do with one or two signings and an injury free run for their big 4 players (similiar to the free run that DDG, Rio,Carrick and RVP had last season for us).

the reality is, they should have walked that league and had it wrapped up early April like we did last year.

as it stands, i think this would be the top 6 next season but this could considerably change once the summer is over.

City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    United
    Spurs
    That on United's current squad today or after signings??

this is pretty telling.
    #mufc points breakdown - 14 points against the top half, 50 points against the bottom half.[/Q UOTE]

and just to show how poor we were at home...
    #mufc picked up 30 points at home this season, 9th best record in EPL.
    34 points on the road,was 1 point less than Liverpool & Arsenal on 35

and some RVP stats
    RVPs total time on the pitch in the league this season equaled 50.6% of last seasons total match time
    in all competitions this seasons, Van Persie missed a total of 20 games compared to last season - 48 V28
    RVP had a goals per game record of 1.55 this season compared to 1.6 last season

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Can't see Liverpool finishing above us or Arsenal next year. Liverpool will lose Suarez and won't be as strong, they will still be competitive but won't have that extra fire power to blitz games like they had this season. If Arsenal get a top striker and avoid the injury list they had this year, they will also be challenging. 3 decent signings between midfield and defence and we will finish above Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

this is pretty telling.

and just to show how poor we were at home...

One things for sure,the zombie like football has to end.The philosophy of playing a containment game that permeated Moyes thinking and gameplans should never darken OT again.
    Since when did United worry about opposing teams and what they could do,it's meant to be the other way around.

LVG has the winning mindset and the footballing style we crave.The fear factor for visiting teams evaporated this season and that will have to come back,when you have teams who haven't got any kind of result at OT in decades getting an easy run & victories it really sticks in the craw.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement