Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

When it comes to United and Arsenal, I see no reason why Liverpool can't compete with them when it comes to transfer fees.

I somehow doubt Liverpool can compete with united on transfer fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

glued wrote: »
    Luke Shaw for £27M is a terrible deal tbh.

Give over you. You dont believe that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€60m buys 3 average players? That's some expensive shopping you are doing.

Maybe I worded it wrong by using "average",my point is that these days £60 million won't get a whole lot for a top team,the quality needed to stay at that level costs.Yes some cheap gems can be found but top drawer players command a top drawer fee.

• glued wrote: »

Why? Class player, young and a no nonsense bid

20m gets some world class players, that was my point.

Well, hopefully the money men at liverpool share your opinion. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Obviously liverpool won't compete with Chelsea and City, that's a given. When it comes to United and Arsenal, I see no reason why Liverpool can't compete with them when it comes to transfer fees.

I have a feeling that the style of football that Brendan Rodgers implemented this season has raised a lot of eyebrows through Europe and will only mean that better players will want to join the club. Obviously having champions league football will do no harm either.

Liverpool can't compete with United in fees (based on previous years) same for Arsenal if Wenger wants to spend he can. One season competing for the league won't change Liverpool s ability to compete on transfer fees for morw than maybe one player.

You are right about the Champions League part, it will make players more interested, it doesn't mean many will be bought.

Liverpool will probably buy Steven Caulker, Adam Lallana, and maybe another striker if they sell Borini. Can't see them really splashing out ridiculously for any one position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

glued wrote: »

Ha! No its not.

That's £27m for one of the most exciting young defenders in the world, while sorting out a position for about 15 years.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Liverpool will probably buy Steven Caulker, Adam Lallana, and maybe another striker if they sell Borini. Can't see them really splashing out ridiculously for any one position.

The manager has already stated he wants 5/6 players who go straight into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

To top off this fantastic evening, its Alan Hansens last MOTD :D

• Advertisement

The manager has already stated he wants 5/6 players who go straight into the first team.

He may get creative with the funds,Shaw for £27 million to United will mean the Lallana fee will rise from the reported £20 million.Even let it be that price,that's a third of the budget gone on one player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

£27m for a 18 year old LB who has 55+ PL appearances under his belt already

Yeah I think thats more of a message to the board than a statement of truth. He will want that but they will be frustrated by every other club around them going for the same players. If they sign more than 4 good players i'll be surprised.

We'll see though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Where the fcuk is the poster who used to say "we're not going to sign... " we need him big time this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Apparently you can't do that with a team and expect to challenge for the title.
    So I've been told when there was talk of United making lots if changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Give over you. You dont believe that.

Granted I've only seen him play 10/12 times this year but I haven't been impressed with him at all. I really like Bernat. Just personal preference really.

beno619 wrote: »
    To top off this fantastic evening, its Alan Hansens last MOTD :D

There's a clip somewhere of him saying "When Gerard wins the league":pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Liverpool are about to hit their first transfer window as a Top club and could be in for a shock. Won't be easy to pick up players cheap and smaller clubs will know that they are in the driving seat when it comes to negotiations. Players will want bigger wages, agents bigger fees.

If they think 60m will be enough to strengthen and compete for the title again next season, they are in for a nasty shock.

Yeah I think thats more of a message to the board than a statement of truth. He will want that but they will be frustrated by every other club around them going for the same players. If they sign more than 4 good players i'll be surprised.

We'll see though.

This won't be like last summer. Liverpool had just finished 7th, a poor season. They can give champions league football now, a team who played arguably the most attractive football in Europe and the possibility of playing with one of the world's best footballers. Spurs etc won't frustrate liverpool this summer.

Liverpool made a loss of 50M this year. Next year they will be subject to a 3 year assessment by UEFA. I would think their spending is going to be rather meagre if that's the case. I stand to be corrected if it is not the case...

• Advertisement

Imagine Shaw, Kroos, Reus, and a CB in this window. And Strootman in January.

January may be a bigger window than normal for us with the new manager a few months into the job and knowing the squad better and no cup tied for Europe bollix this year.

This won't be like last summer. Liverpool had just finished 7th, a poor season. They can give champions league football now, a team who played arguably the most attractive football in Europe and the possibility of playing with one of the world's best footballers. Spurs etc won't frustrate liverpool this summer.

Do you watch much football outside of England?

zerks wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm a fan of Shaw. I would put him around the £20-25m bracket and while the price mentioned is quite steep, that's the market these days. He would be an excellent acquisition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yes he did !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Do you watch much football outside of England?

Far too much tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

not sure if this has been posted already, but we conceded 43 goals this season, exactly the same as when we won the league last season.

22 goals less scored though is the obvious problem....f*ck all goals from midfield/support players when Rooney and RVP were injured.

Liverpool made a loss of 50M this year. Next year they will be subject to a 3 year assessment by UEFA. I would think their spending is going to be rather meagre if that's the case. I stand to be corrected if it is not the case...

And the small matter of building a new stadium.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Where the fcuk is the poster who used to say "we're not going to sign... " we need him big time this summer.

Thats FutureGuy isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Tom McDermott ‏@FootballMcD 3m

Marco #Reus : "I can definitely say that I will play for Dortmund next season." (Kicker) #MUFC #BVB (via @F8Piraux)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Ha I think that's him alright .... Come on FutureGuy - LETS BE AVIN YA

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

is it not bangkok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

squadro wrote: »
    is it not bangkok?

No he only started posting a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Why will Liverpool lose Suarez?

All this talk of teams strengthening to finish above Liverpool makes me laugh, do people not realise that Liverpool will also strengthen?

Because Real get what Real want. They will come in with a blank cheque and offer stupid money for Suarez. Especially now that they lost the league, even more so if they lose the CL final as well.

Have you forgotten that Suarez wanted to leave last year already. Ye have CL football next year but the personal reasons for him wanting to leave are still there. Liverpool aren't going to turn down a huge offer and Suarez isn't going to turn down the chance to play for a quality Madrid team.

Liverpool will strengthen but unlikely they will find someone of Suarez's quality so soon. Without that quality, Liverpool become an average team again.

• Advertisement

squadro wrote: »
    is it not bangkok?

I think a few posters have started doing it but if I remember correctly it was FutureGuy who made it popular around the Mata transfer.

I stand to be corrected.

And the small matter of building a new stadium.

Well, I think that may be further down the line. They have to get their house in order during the upcoming year in terms of finances. They will feel the wrath of UEFA if they don't turn a profit.

Anyone know more about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Regarding transfer fees - who cares what the club pays for players? I certainly don't as long as it doesn't impact on ticket prices etc.

As the United man in that famous Youtube rant said about the Glazers - start spending money. And proper money. Because it's our money, not their money.

I really don't care if we pay 27m for Shaw because we need him, he's an excellent talent and has tons of potential. Buy quality and not quantity (although of course we have needs at CM, CB and the wings).

RichFTW wrote: »
    Because Real get what Real want. They will come in with a blank cheque and offer stupid money for Suarez. Especially now that they lost the league, even more so if they lose the CL final as well.

Have you forgotten that Suarez wanted to leave last year already. Ye have CL football next year but the personal reasons for him wanting to leave are still there. Liverpool aren't going to turn down a huge offer and Suarez isn't going to turn down the chance to play for a quality Madrid team.

Liverpool will strengthen but unlikely they will find someone of Suarez's quality so soon. Without that quality, Liverpool become an average team again.

80/90m for Suarez on top of the 60m reported before would buy a lot of talent. Saying that, I still wouldn't sell him for that money.

So,no Reus.Aren't Barca selling Alexis Sanchez? He'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

80/90m for Suarez on top of the 60m reported before would buy a lot of talent. Saying that, I still wouldn't sell him for that money.

It's not for you to decide. I reckon the L'pool board would sell for a lot less. 50m even.

A huge wedge of that would be needed to replace Suarez.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    It's not for you to decide. I reckon the L'pool board would sell for a lot less. 50m even.

50m would be laughed at. They laughed at 40m last summer remember?

A huge wedge of that would be needed to replace Suarez.

Imo he's irreplaceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

50m would be laughed at. They laughed at 40m last summer remember?

50m from Madrid and any sign Suarez wants to go and he's gone I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

not sure if this has been posted already, but we conceded 43 goals this season, exactly the same as when we won the league last season.

22 goals less scored though is the obvious problem....f*ck all goals from midfield/support players when Rooney and RVP were injured.

Fellaini and Kagawa while not playing huge games would be expected to score at least one goal! Welbeck to his credit did step up this season.

Midfield return was awful last season as well though, defenders scored more than midfield players if Kagawa was classed as a forward in 12/13, this season the defenders had three league goals combined, 14 the previous season.

Ita clear that Uniteds midfield has underperformed the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not been discussed I don't think but would anyone be upset with Carrick leaving?

His form this season has been woeful even factoring Moyes as manager, age not on his side.

Is it time for much needed freshness, younger legs, a new face??

Or is the Kew losing his mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Schwiiing wrote: »
    doesn't matter what u reckon.He won't go for anything under 70m.
    Real are after Pogba so I think Suarez will stay at Liverpool.

Not been discussed I don't think but would anyone be upset with Carrick leaving?

His form this season has been woeful even factoring Moyes as manager, age not on his side.

Is it time for much needed freshness, younger legs, a new face??

Or is the Kew losing his mind?

You're not losing your mind. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we sold him. He's been dreadful at times. The main thing is that he's too slow on the ball. He just slows everything down.
    A younger, more vibrant and ambitious player would be quite refreshing.

Real could fund a ridiculous bid for Suarez if needed by selling one of their many stars like Benzema or DiMaria who an english club would pay big money for.

Selling one of them for 30+million and bidding for Suarez with 80million is exactly what they did last year with Bale.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement