Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

€60m buys 3 average players? That's some expensive shopping you are doing.

People still seem to link the cost of a player to their actual effectiveness.
    Daft stuff altogether.
    There will be plenty bargains out there just as there will be plenty turkeys going around for north of 20 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Is that 27 million for Shaw thing reputable?

If so, I'm doubting the ability of Ed Woodward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MD1990 wrote: »
    Real are after Pogba so I think Suarez will stay at Liverpool.

That doesn't make much sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

GSPfan wrote: »
    Real could fund a ridiculous bid for Suarez if needed by selling one of their many stars like Benzema or DiMaria who an english club would pay big money for.

Selling one of them for 30+million and bidding for Suarez with 80million is exactly what they did last year with Bale.

I wouldn't mind DiMaria being thrown in as part of any transfer for Suarez, Jese too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gosplan wrote: »

Did spending £27m on Fellani not do that for you already? What about hirng David Moyes, not even register a blip on the inept-o-meter? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

I think Suarez will push for a move again. He wanted out last season, and I doubt he's changed his tune much over the last twelve months. If he pushes hard enough, Pool will be forced to sell at a lower price. I could see Mardid getting him for 60M.
    That money could then offset the losses the club is making. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Not been discussed I don't think but would anyone be upset with Carrick leaving?

His form this season has been woeful even factoring Moyes as manager, age not on his side.

Is it time for much needed freshness, younger legs, a new face??

Or is the Kew losing his mind?

Leaving yes, not in the first team I wouldn't mind at all. Like Evra United were too reliant on him the past few seasons. He looks wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Not been discussed I don't think but would anyone be upset with Carrick leaving?

His form this season has been woeful even factoring Moyes as manager, age not on his side.

Id agree totally Kew. Never really took to him but he had a couple of decent seasons without ever being in the same league as Keane, Scholes, Ince or Robson. More in the Ray wilkins / Neil Webb bracket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

That doesn't make much sense.
    50-60m for Pogba they won't have enough money for Suarez then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Imo he's irreplaceable.

So was Ronaldo and so was Bale but every player has a price if the player wants the move. And he defo would want the move. Suarez will not be at Liverpool for more than another year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Carrick to go and maybe Alex Song to replace him? Sound good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gosplan wrote: »

The fee being talked about for the last while has always been £25 - £30 million.Young,talented & English = expensive.The bid is bang on the money.

:eek: LOL

Schwiiing wrote: »

Defo the first bit but no thanks for the second bit.

That'd do,remember Song playing all those passes to RVP at Arsenal before he headed to Barca? Almost telepathic at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It's Real, of course they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Did spending £27m on Fellani not do that for you already? What about hirng David Moyes, not even register a blip on the inept-o-meter? :pac:

As much as he made a mess last year, he didn't hire Moyes. That was done before his time

So was Ronaldo and so was Bale but every player has a price if the player wants the move. And he defo would want the move. Suarez will not be at Liverpool at for more than another year imo.

United still haven't replaced Ronaldo and imo have been weaker since he left.

Spurs tried their best to replace Bale but so far it looks like they have fallen horribly short.

I'm expecting Suarez to hang around for another season.

Sorry for the Suarez / Liverpool chat btw. I just wanted to respond to the people saying all the other teams would strengthen to fly past liverpool next season.

Ha, first of all, they would get Pogba for a lot less than that. Secondly, they have players to ship out that will cover a good chunk of what Suarez would cost.

If Madrid want both they will get both.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Thats FutureGuy isn't it.

Hi lads, I can't turn it on like a tap unfortunately, but I'm well rested over the season, I feel good and I'd like to think that I'll play some part over the next few months.

We are not signing Luke Shaw.

• Advertisement

It's Real, of course they will.
    not quite as rich as they were.
    Had to sell Ozil,Higuain,Albiol & Callejon to fund there transfers last season.
    Who will they sell this year?only maybe Di Maria.

Ha, first of all, they would get Pogba for a lot less than that. Secondly, they have players to ship out that will cover a good chunk of what Suarez would cost.

If Madrid want both they will get both.

PSG will get involved in any Pogba transfer and drive the price up. He won't be sold for less than 40m imo.

Di Maria, Alonso, Benzema and Isco off the top of my head.

Di Maria, Alonso, Benzema and Isco off the top of my head.

Add Khedira to that.

PSG will get involved in any Pogba transfer and drive the price up. He won't be sold for less than 40m imo.

30-35 max I would think.

Add Khedira to that.

A perfect fit for United

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi lads, I can't turn it on like a tap unfortunately, but I'm well rested over the season, I feel good and I'd like to think that I'll play some part over the next few months.

We are not signing Luke Shaw.
    Haha very good, looking forward to you being wrong a few times this summer :)

A perfect fit for United

I'd take him in a flash. An infinite improvement on what's there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I didn't like Reus anyway

They announced record revenues last year, increased profits on the previous year and a reduction in declared debt. They are every bit as rich and daft as ever.

• Advertisement

I'd take him in a flash. An infinite improvement on what's there at the moment.

Probably wouldn't cost too much either.

Spurs tried their best to replace Bale but so far it looks like they have fallen horribly short.

I think you mis understood what i was saying. I was agreeing with you that Suarez is irreplaceable. Just like Ronaldo and Bale.

But there is still a price for every player who wants to leave.

Probably wouldn't cost too much either.

United would find a way to overpay :pac:
    25m should easily do the trick though.

Wow i forgot about Khedeira. Did he play at all this season after his injury?

I didn't like Reus anyway

But he can be a CM.:p:p:p

I think you mis understood what i was saying. I was agreeing with you that Suarez is irreplaceable. Just like Ronaldo and Bale.

But there is still a price for every player who wants to leave.

As individuals they might be very hard to replace if ever possible. However if the money is spent wisely the team who loses such a player could he strengthed overall.

They announced record revenues last year, increased profits on the previous year and a reduction in declared debt. They are every bit as rich and daft as ever.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1804288-real-madrids-eur541-million-debt-allegedly-being-hidden-by-florentino-perez

they won't be able to get Suarez unless they sell alot a few players.
    They also need a CM more than a new striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Sorry for the Suarez / Liverpool chat btw. I just wanted to respond to the people saying all the other teams would strengthen to fly past liverpool next season.

I think ye will get top price alright for Suarez, can't see those Americans being forced into a cut price sale but I do think they will sell.

What United and Arsenal have to strengthen is a lot less than Liverpool (assuming Suarez leaves), that's why I think they will pass Liverpool. Suarez will be too big of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

"United in Bid for Shaw"

"Gerrard - I'm Devastated"

Two lovely headlines to end my day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Not losing your mind but seeing as you re now referring to yourself in the third person its pretty clear you re in full meglomaniac mode!:D

ElChe32 wrote: »
    "United in Bid for Shaw"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Liverpool are about to hit their first transfer window as a Top club and could be in for a shock. Won't be easy to pick up players cheap and smaller clubs will know that they are in the driving seat when it comes to negotiations. Players will want bigger wages, agents bigger fees.

If they think 60m will be enough to strengthen and compete for the title again next season, they are in for a nasty shock.
    When they finished second in 2009, they went and brought in Glen Johnson, Krygiakus (ugh, I've butchered that) and the massive success that was Aquilani, spending the guts of ~£50m in the process.

Its one thing sitting at the top table and being in the market for the infamous top top players but its an entirely different thing being able to both target and attract them on what will no doubt be a fairly restricted budget. Even though being flippant about the money involved in football does disgust me, I'd doubt 60m will make much of a significant difference when they're competing on so many fronts next year.

In the same way, in relation to ourselves, I also doubt that anything shy of at least 100m will make too much of a significant difference to us especially when the going rate seems to be ~30m for a defender who, albeit young, English and damn bloody good, traditionally, haven't been as expensive as the guys playing further up the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I think Suarez will head to Madrid and Liverpool won't get a sufficient replacement. Without his 30+ goals they will struggle to reach this season's heights. With the CL they'll be stretched
    Real have more than enough funds to purchase him before selling players.
    Pogba (If he leaves Juve) will go to PSG.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1804288-real-madrids-eur541-million-debt-allegedly-being-hidden-by-florentino-perez

they won't be able to get Suarez unless they sell alot a few players.
    They also need a CM more than a new striker.

Allegedly. And if even if it turns out to be true and Real have to go public they will have few problems attracting investment. Getting CL football greatly increases the chances of holding on to Suarez no doubt but if Real do want him and Suarez himself wants to go they'll definitely find the cash for him. It could be a moot point though as the word coming from Raiola is that Pogba is going nowhere;
    ”I already met with (Juve director) Marotta and we’ll meet again soon to discuss the contractual renewal. There is no rush, Pogba is happy at Juve and he wants to remain in Torino for a long time. It’s clear that for a strong player like him it’s easy that there is a market but at the moment there isn’t this intention. There isn’t a dialogue with PSG or other teams: I repeat, we’ll meet soon to extend the eventual contract. I don’t understand for what reason you in Italy continue to tie Pogba to teams others that Juve: he’ll stay at Juve where he is very happy”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ElChe32 wrote: »
    "United in Bid for Shaw"

Two lovely headlines to end my day.

Nothing about the United match today?

• Advertisement

Allegedly. And if even if it turns out to be true and Real have to go public they will have few problems attracting investment. Getting CL football greatly increases the chances of holding on to Suarez no doubt but if Real do want him and Suarez himself wants to go they'll definitely find the cash for him. It could be a moot point though as the word coming from Raiola is that Pogba is going nowhere;

30m will dislodge Pogba. They got him for nothing and they aint exactly flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

LOL at Real not being able to afford Suarez and Pogba....

Arrivals
    Gareth Bale 148k.pngSpurs 80.080.000 £
    Isco 1084k.pngMálaga CF 26.400.000 £
    Asier Illarramendi 681k.pngReal Sociedad 26.400.000 £
    Daniel Carvajal 15k.pngBayer 04 5.720.000 £
    Casemiro 585k.pngSão Paulo 5.280.000 £

He won the golden boy best u21 player in the world.He will cost at least 40m probably 50-60.PSG paid 45m for Lucas Moura in 2012 so Pogba will cost more.Juventus are the only club in Italy to profit from revenue as they are the only club in Italy to own there own stadium.They have decent money.

We'll see, I doubt it though. At least this Summer anyway.

Edit: No chance €30m will do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Hi Folks

First time poster so please take it easy with me...

My God what a season. I was vehemently opposed to Moyes' appointment but thankfully that's now water under the bridge.

Chronic underspending in key areas over recent years has also caught up with us.

I welcome this Shaw stuff and I'd welcome Van Gaal with open arms.

Some people crave wing play but personally I think that it may have had its day. With two in the middle you just get killed and with only one up top the guy just gets isolated. Maybe we need to look to the fullbacks for the width.

With that in mind I'd be very keen on Seamus Coleman. With him and Shaw we'd be on the pig's back.

Midfield wise I know that Kroos etc seem to be top of most people's lists but I'd be looking to move heaven and earth to get Vidal from Juve.

Long post I know (apologies) but there's a lot to talk about.

Not least how Rooney, RVP, Mata and Kagawa are supposed to play together!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement