Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Goodbye 2013/14

You wont be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

article-2625599-1DC0046100000578-988_636x484.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ashley Cole has apparently retired from International Football.

Guessing he got the heads up he won't be going to the WC, so presumably our boy Shaw is :D Get the deal done before the WC then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

LOL at Real not being able to afford Suarez and Pogba....

Arrivals
    Gareth Bale 148k.pngSpurs 80.080.000 £
    Isco 1084k.pngMálaga CF 26.400.000 £
    Asier Illarramendi 681k.pngReal Sociedad 26.400.000 £
    Daniel Carvajal 15k.pngBayer 04 5.720.000 £
    Casemiro 585k.pngSão Paulo 5.280.000 £
    Don't forget 2009
    Ronaldo 80m
    Kaka 55m
    Broke the world transfer record twice
    and got in a good few more that summer
    Xabi Alonso 30m
    Karim Benzema 30m
    Raul Albiol 13m

Real can and will spend whatever they want..

Guessing he got the heads up he won't be going to the WC, so presumably our boy Shaw is :D Get the deal done before the WC then :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2625289/Roys-boys-Brazil-Ashley-Cole-Manchester-Michael-Carrick-NOT-join-Englands-World-Cup-squad.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Going by twitter Cole said Shaw and Baines are in the squad. He also said he agreed it was the right thing. Fair play for taking it on the chin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Saw that on Sky News alright while I was getting my snack box. Thought as it was scrolling across that it was going to say he had retired altogether.

Apparently he was offered a spot on the standby list but turned it down.

Shaw and Baines it is so. The one we wanted last summer and one we're going to get this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Imo he's irreplaceable.

disagree. for the money they would get, they could easily get a Cavani or his like and still have money left over for a top class winger to add some more dimension to their attacking play. easier said than done of course, but if they do their homework it is possible.

the remainder of their budget then could go on defenders.

Suarez had a great season and all goals count, but to be deemed irreplacable his big game record needs to improve...it was poor especially towards the last 3 months of the season.. granted he scored some goals against Everton, Spurs and United but those were games they won 4-0, 4-0, 3-0 and liverpool were in cruise control when he scored them.

here was some stats they had on sky last week.
    • he failed to score in all 6 games against the top 4.
    • almost half his goals (45%) came against the bottom 5 teams.
    • if you take away all his goals against the top 10, Liverpool would have still finished 3rd. (-4 points)
    • 24 of his 31 goals came against the teams which have stoke as the highest placed team.

those arent stats of somebody irreplaceable.

Just realised United have bid £27million for a man I'm 6 months older than, I feel like a useless pack of **** right now :pac:

I felt something similar when Norman Whiteside burst on the scene back in 1982, I am the same age as him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

He was pretty classy about it all on twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheRealAC3

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

My wish list for what it's worth:

Luke Shaw
    Seamus Coleman
    Arturo Vidal
    AN Other centre half
    AN Other midfielder

I'm convinced that we need to play Phil Jones at centre half consistently in order to see the best of him. The John O'Shea-esque "play him anywhere" stuff has stifled his career bigtime. Phil Jones would absolutely be one of my starting centre halves. He is Tony Adams and John Terry's heir (without the ancillary stuff!).

He was pretty classy about it all on twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheRealAC3

City win the league and Ashley Cole plus United's bid for Shaw soon overtake them in the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Juan Mata plays for United :)

Just saw the free-kick there, and at least we have that positive to come out of the season.

Just saw the free-kick there, and at least we have that positive to come out of the season.

Yet we still have a few who complain: "no pace".Speed of thought is just as important,look at Scholes.

Valencia has pace to spare and can't cross a ball.

Is this "Nani leaving for £5m" stuff true?

That would be utterly insane. He's only just signed a new contract, he's a genuine game changer, he hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip in recent years and he's still reasonably young and high profile internationally.

If United are gonna sell him, surely £12m is more realistic?

I'd keep him and see how he goes (hopefully) under Van Gaal.

With the way Van Gaal works with players and transforms them, guys that buy into his theories could flourish. Nani's a prime candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Shaw Coleman Khedira Song wouldnt be a bad summer. Sneaky bid for Hummels or Di Maria maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

zerks wrote: »
    City win the league and Ashley Cole plus United's bid for Shaw soon overtake them in the headlines.

I'm sure that will really bother City :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Howard Nurse ‏@howardnurse 23s
    #MUFC apparently keen to sign Luke Shaw from Southampton and get business done before World Cup. Van Gaal could happen on Wednesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Is this "Nani leaving for £5m" stuff true?

That would be utterly insane. He's only just signed a new contract, he's a genuine game changer, he hasn't really had a fair crack of the whip in recent years and he's still reasonably young and high profile internationally.

Barely played in two years
    Hasn't played well when he has played in that time
    Club wants rid of him
    Injury prone
    Likely wants high wages

No club will pay big for him. The new contract ensures he doesn't walk on a free but people need to beace themselves for a low transfer fee here.

• Advertisement

Barely played in two years
    Hasn't played well when he has played in that time
    Club wants rid of him
    Injury prone
    Likely wants high wages

No club will pay big for him. The new contract ensures he doesn't walk on a free but people need to beace themselves for a low transfer fee here.

Fair enough.

I have to say that if I was the manager of Spurs/Arsenal/etc and I heard that Nani was going for £5m I'd be on the phone sharpish.

Jesus, what did we pay for Ashley Young...£18m or something? I know that you pay a premium for English players but Jesus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Suarez had a great season and all goals count, but to be deemed irreplacable his big game record needs to improve...it was poor especially towards the last 3 months of the season.. granted he scored some goals against Everton, Spurs and United but those were games they won 4-0, 4-0, 3-0 and liverpool were in cruise control when he scored them.

• if you take away all his goals against the top 10, Liverpool would have still finished 3rd. (-4 points)
    • 24 of his 31 goals came against the teams which have stoke as the highest placed team.

A stat from Miguel Delaney that Suarez doesn't score enough 'clutch' goals. His 31 goals have only won 12 points, compared to above 20 for the other players to score 30 in a season.
    Points won: Shearer 93-94, 29; RVP 11-12, 27; Cole 93-94, 25; Henry 03-04, 25; Ronaldo 07-08, 23; Suarez 13-14, 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The fee being talked about for the last while has always been £25 - £30 million.Young,talented & English = expensive.The bid is bang on the money.

So the first offer is to make an 18 year old with one good season the 3rd/4th most expensive defender ever? If Southampton say no (as they should), how much higher do Utd go?

I get that prices are high now and all but that seems nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Please zerks noooo

Don't encourage them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

gosplan wrote: »
    So the first offer is to make an 18 year old with one good season the 3rd/4th most expensive defender ever? If Southampton say no (as they should), how much higher do Utd go?

I get that prices are high now and all but that seems nuts.

As much as we need a LB and Shaw offers potentially ~15 years without having to buy another, I'd be disappoints if we spent £30 million on him.

• Advertisement

Would people be happier if we went for Coentrao or Filipe Luis instead for less money?

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Would people be happier if we went for Coentrao or Filipe Luis instead for less money?

if it meant we signed two top class center midfielders yes.

Kroos, Carvalho, a Cb and a LB like the two above would be a sensational summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Mr Hansen's last night on MOTD

His greatest moment for us

Thank you Mr Hansen

Headshot wrote: »
    Please zerks noooo

Don't encourage them

I'll leave them alone for now,it provides comfort & solace after our horrific season.

Anyone watching MOTD? I'd have vNistelrooy instead of Zola any day and Viera and Scholes in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Anyone watching MOTD? I'd have vNistelrooy instead of Zola any day and Viera and Scholes in midfield.

You spelt Keane wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭mufc1993

Slightly surprised United went so high with their first offer for Shaw. They'll be in an awkward position now if Southampton say no!

2 centre mids would be great, although I have a dirty feeling we'll end up with 1.

A winger (Reus hopefully) and a centre back would top things off lovely. Not sure what centre back to go for, we aren't linked with many. But with Vidic going and Rio well past it surely we need cover for Jones, Evans and Smalling. 2 out of the 3 are quite injury prone and the other just hasn't convinced me yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Honest to god, some of you would moan no matter what United done.

Spending 30 million on Shaw is a realistic fee. Get over it.

Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Rooney in the England squad apparently.

Carrick & Cleverly miss out..can only blame themselves, a half decent season and they both would be playing, they were odds on this time last year to be going, Jones and Smalling luckly also.

does anybody have a full list of our players going?

Evra, Valencia, Fellaini, Hernandez, RVP, Kagawa and Nani

no change of DDG and Mata going is there, Adnan is an outset bet?

so thats 11 confirmed, with 3 possibilities. 14 is not a great return out of a 25 man squad is it? i guess that 14 along with 3 or 4 more like Lindegaard, Evans, Rafael, Buttner and then Wilson, Keane, Powell would be a good bases for our squad plus 4 signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Kevin Palmer has been going on about the Shaw bid for last few months on twitter and espn, saying a bid was made in January and was left on the table.

You'd have to imagine there were talks of some description going on behind the scenes since then and it's all a formality at this stage.

The one thing I'd hate is to see our first transfer move if the summer being dragged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Rooney in the England squad apparently.

Carrick & Cleverly miss out..can only blame themselves, a half decent season and they both would be playing, they were odds on this time last year to be going, Jones and Smalling luckly also.

does anybody have a full list of our players going?

Evra, Valencia, Fellaini, Hernandez, RVP, Kagawa and Nani

no change of DDG and Mata going is there, Adnan is an outset bet?

so thats 11 confirmed, with 3 possibilities. 14 is not a great return out of a 25 man squad is it? i guess that 14 along with 3 or 4 more like Lindegaard, Evans, Rafael, Buttner and then Wilson, Keane, Powell would be a good bases for our squad plus 4 signings.

I'd have thought Mata's end of season form might have put him back in the frame and would DDG not be the next option seeing as Valdes is out? Given his age it's likely he's a future no. 1 for Spain so you'd think it'd make sense to take him even as backup to give him a taste of a tournament. Or is it the case that they favour the Spain-based keepers?

As for Adnan, didn't the Belgian manager say he was in his extended training squad as he wanted to see what he was like. The wording of it made me think he has a good chance. Apparently he sees him as very versatile across the attack and that would work in his favour with Benteke ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yet we still have a few who complain: "no pace".Speed of thought is just as important,look at Scholes.

Valencia has pace to spare and can't cross a ball.

Do you remember how Scholes got on when Fergie tried to play him on the wing?

Mata's pace is only an issue if we're trying to play him on the wing. That was the point I made about Mata's pace being an issue for United. Please engage your brain if have to comment on things I've said.

Carrick is better off not going to that World Cup from our perspective. He'll be fresh and rested for next year or have loads of time to sort out a transfer over the Summer.

Can't imagine we will get rid of Carrick but he is definitely past his best.

I really hope the news of this bid for Shaw isn't true. There is nobody currently employed by the club who should be trusted to buy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

GSPfan wrote: »
    Carrick is better off not going to that World Cup from our perspective. He'll be fresh and rested for next year or have loads of time to sort out a transfer over the Summer.

Can't imagine we will get rid of Carrick but he is definitely past his best.

Hopefully we get rid of him. Never should have signed him in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Pro. F wrote: »
    I really hope the news of this bid for Shaw isn't true. There is nobody currently employed by the club who should be trusted to buy players.

Talk of Van Gaal been given a list of players and was happy with Shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Same here, caught the replay on sky this evening. A fantastic goal from Mata and some nice from flashes from him in the second half. It was a much better performance overall in the second half. And MOTM for me goes to the United fans, there were simply a joy to listen to as they sang their hearts out all day. Sadly we bid farewell to a favourite son today, our fierce warrior Vidic. I wish him the very best and a sincere thank you for all he did for us. Hopefully some day we'll find a Nemanja 2.0.

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Hopefully we get rid of him. Never should have signed him in the first place.

Ah he has not always been bad. In fact horrifically he has been our best central midfielder over a full season for a long time now. That's how bad the rest have been. But if we could make some money off him and also bring in a few players in midfield first then I'd be ok with him going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Shaw Coleman Khedira Song wouldnt be a bad summer. Sneaky bid for Hummels or Di Maria maybe.

Highly doubt Di Maria will be leaving Madrid after the season he's had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Pro. F wrote: »
    You hope it's not true as u don't rate Shaw or because he'd be bought without the new managers knowledge or because you don't trust Woodward to be able to see it through?

Surely you'd have to assume the new manager has given his blessing to a bid that's only officially been made tonight?

Talk of Van Gaal been given a list of players and was happy with Shaw.

Hopefully that's what it is, if the bid is true.

You hope it's not true as u don't rate Shaw or because he'd be bought without the new managers knowledge or because you don't trust Woodward to be able to see it through?

Surely you'd have to assume the new manager has given his blessing to a bid that's only officially been made tonight?

I don't see why you would have to assume that.

I rate Shaw. I don't want a semi-retired Fergie or some clueless suit choosing which players to spend the transfer budget on.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

http://www.tuttosport.com/calcio/serie_a/juventus/2014/05/08-293951/La+Juve+ci+riprova%3A+Keane+dal+Manchester+United

tuttosport in Italy reporting that Juve (and possibly Arsenal) are after Will Keane. Report saying he will turn down a new contract with us to bail. Has anyone seen much of him this season at QPR & Wigan? Does it look like he could grow to be good enough for a squad place and could he be another 'Pogba'.

I've watched our U21's a fair bit the last season or two but haven't followed up on Keane after his injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Van Gaal didn't use players who were bought without his say at Bayern and Barca as well I think, he must be in the loop

If it was Fergie having the main say we'd probably have a bid in for Cavani by now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

disagree. for the money they would get, they could easily get a Cavani or his like and still have money left over for a top class winger to add some more dimension to their attacking play. easier said than done of course, but if they do their homework it is possible.

the remainder of their budget then could go on defenders.

That's all well and good but you seem to have missed out on the fact that he was also top of the assists chart this season. His very presence on the pitch was creating goals for other players because of the distractions he was causing defenders.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement