Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i think we can accept this great gift from the lord and forget liverpool now. Chelsea will be stronger next year, city will be stronger, united if we get ether van gaal or ancelotti will be challenging. They missed their big chance. And it is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Leftist wrote: »
    i think we can accept this great gift from the lord and forget liverpool now. Chelsea will be stronger next year, city will be stronger, united if we get ether van gaal or ancelotti will be challenging. They missed their big chance. And it is fantastic.
    I wouldn't say they are totally out of it next year but without a few major signings the CL could majorly effect their PL run - they will be probably seeded in pot 3 so will have massive games home and away against big teams... It really does feel like they missed the boat this time alright but you would never know - the only thing for certain is that City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal will be stronger - can Liverpool have a much better season then this one (winning 11/12 matches on the trot)? I honestly don't think so factoring in the extra matches/teams figuring them out (in terms of being very naive in the first 20 min).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Looks like Shaw is a definite according to the Mirror - £25M and 75K a week, not too shabby for an 18 year old.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-luke-shaw-3529790

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

And what players will be signed to ensure this miraculous turnaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

advertsfox wrote: »
    Looks like Shaw is a definite according to the Mirror - £25M and 75K a week, not too shabby for an 18 year old.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfers-luke-shaw-3529790
    To be honest the Mirror is one of the least reliable rags of all - take that with a pinch of salt id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

What players did Rodgers sign ? Coutinho and Surridge 18 months ago have been his most influential purchases. His business last summer was hit or miss, mostly miss.

Getting a decent manager in place with a few additions would go a long way.

I find it quite amusing that Liverpool fan's struggle to believe a club can go from 7th to a title challenge in one season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beno619 wrote: »
    I find it quite amusing that Liverpool fan's struggle to believe a club can go from 7th to a title challenge in one season.

It's brilliant. Apparently a club with 25 years of achieving top of the league status will drop to 7th and stay there, while a team who have languished in the mid table for 25 years have a good year and are permanent fixtures. Obviously a single season is enough to completely ignore two decades of history when it fits your narrative.

You would think Pool fans of all fans right now would stop and think how it's a bad idea to count your chickens before they have hatched.

What players did Rodgers sign ? Coutinho and Surridge 18 months ago have been his most influential purchases. His business last summer was hit or miss, mostly miss.

Getting a decent manager in place with a few additions would go a long way.

Liverpool are on over 2ppg since January 2013, this wasn't a turnaround over the space of one summer. This was players getting accustomed to Brendan Rodgers, his staff and his way of coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Liverpool had an exceptional 2nd half to the season whereas they had only an average first half of the season for a team with title challenge/top 4 aspirations. A more even spread of form would be most likely but i reckon Liverpool will be among the top 4 contenders again next season its not as if all of the other teams are going to improve and they will stand still. They are supposed to sign Lallana who is a good player and the likes of Sterling/Henderson/Sturridge should improve further as they mature and if they keep Suarez then they will always be dangerous. If they add some decent defenders they could become very tough opponents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

lol another deluded Man Utd fan who thinks a team in rapid decline is suddenly going to improve massively.U maybe not consider Liverpool will improve since we are in the CL & will be albe to attract better players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

see some are still upset.

right lads Shaw and LVG double to kick off the week eh?

I have absolutely no idea.

did you mean to ask, what players should be signed? because even then it's pure speculation.
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I wouldn't say they are totally out of it next year but without a few major signings the CL could majorly effect their PL run - they will be probably seeded in pot 3 so will have massive games home and away against big teams... It really does feel like they missed the boat this time alright but you would never know - the only thing for certain is that City, Chelsea, United and Arsenal will be stronger - can Liverpool have a much better season then this one (winning 11/12 matches on the trot)? I honestly don't think so factoring in the extra matches/teams figuring them out (in terms of being very naive in the first 20 min).

i think they'll definetly be better than arsenal. probably top 4. could even be ahead of united, but won't come anywhere near as close as this year.

watch out for chelsea, mourinho will have them much better.

Liverpool are on over 2ppg since January 2013, this wasn't a turnaround over the space of one summer. This was players getting accustomed to Brendan Rodgers, his staff and his way of coaching.

You mean since Rodgers signed Coutinho and Sturridge ? it took Rodgers 6 months to turn yous around.

A decent manager with £120m worth of new players might be able to take United up the table.

You mean since Rodgers signed Coutinho and Sturridge ? it took Rodgers 6 months to turn yous around.

A decent manager with £120m worth of new players might be able to take United up the table.

i know some of the liverpool support are upset and rightly directing stick about us finishing 7th. but it has to be remembered, we're not some outfit that finishes 7th for the past 3/4 seasons.

we were the best team in england a year ago. And the manager who orchestrated our dramatic collapse has been sacked.

if we get van gaal or ancelloti, plus 3/4 first team players which is the clubs clear intention.. then forget about it. We're back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

What Liverpool fans seem to forget is they had no Champions league games to tire a squad out, next year will be vastly different.

That's the key word, it might happen. Of course there a chance of it happening but it's not as easy as some united fans are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

United appointed an average manager who couldn't handle the beast, we'll be back challenging next year with the right appointment, I guarantee it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

if we get van gaal or ancelloti, plus 3/4 first team players which is the clubs clear intention.. then forget about it. We're back.

No, no, no. We're finished for 4-5 seasons at least. It would be unfair to bounce back into the mix after 1 season. Liverpool had to go through tough times so obviously we have to do the same, it's the exact same situation and circumstances don't you know?

What Liverpool fans seem to forget is they had no Champions league games to tire a squad out, next year will be vastly different.

It sure will be different because the squad will be much bigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Talk of this Shaw bid is all the more reason for Utd to get Van Gaal done and dusted, if indeed he is their man.

I dont understand the delay. Bidding for players while managerless leaves huge uncertainty. Who is targeting the player etc?

Bizarre tactic imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

i know some of the liverpool support are upset and rightly directing stick about us finishing 7th. but it has to be remembered, we're not some outfit that finishes 7th for the past 3/4 seasons.

we were the best team in england a year ago. And the manager who orchestrated our dramatic collapse has been sacked.

What young players that are improving have Man Utd got Januzaj,De Gea possibly Shaw.Plenty of players in decline Carrick,Young,Valencia,Evra,Cleverly,Fellaini,Ferdinand,Nani
    Rooney & RVP are also reaching the end of there careers & are injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

When was this rule brought in that stopped Liverpool from getting stronger?

All teams will get stronger but there are so many factors, ye bought Mata and dropped down the table, arsenal got Ozil and we're the same as before.

Next year is going to be a massive fight between 5 or 6 teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really, still in the Liverpool vs United debates?

Liverpool fans not got a thread to go to , to get excited about the next 4 flops they are going to buy?

Tiresome reading the back and forth, appreciate some are in and trying to make "adult" debate, but simply put this is a United thread, should we really be having to constantly discuss the Liverpool United dynamic here?

Go make a thread for it tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

MD1990 wrote: »
    What young players that are improving have Man Utd got Januzaj,De Gea possibly Shaw.Plenty of players in decline Carrick,Young,Valencia,Evra,Cleverly,Fellaini,Ferdinand,Nani

So 28 yr old Rooney is reaching the end of his career? RVP will only be 31 at the start of next season. Hardly over the hill. What about 34 yr old Gerrard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bring in 3 players and all of the players in bold would only be squad players, if still even there.

next season we won't need the size of the squad we currently have.

if we got someone like reus, then we have to play behind the striker:
    rooney, kagawa, mata, reus, welbeck, januzaj

bear in mind this is the same squad +/- one or two that won the league a year ago with 4 games to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I have to laugh when liverpool supporters say they'll be much stronger next year because they have 60m to spend. Last time they had that they bought downing and carroll:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

United have a crop of top youngsters at the club. De gea, rafeal, jones, smalling, Powell, januzaj, lingard, Wilson, Pearson, janko, Lawrence and possibly shaw.
    Rooney isn't exactly injury prone and at 28 is nowhere near the end. Rvp isn't at the end either.
    The other players you mention are either going to be moved on or will be squad players.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    When was this rule brought in that stopped Liverpool from getting stronger?

All teams will get stronger but there are so many factors, ye bought Mata and dropped down the table, arsenal got Ozil and we're the same as before.

Next year is going to be a massive fight between 5 or 6 teams

Realistically next season imo, will be chelsea vs. city, with united a possibility provided what happens with the new manager.

liverpool will have a lot more expectation from themselves and european cup football to contend with (tier 3 seeds?)

Not inconceivable they are challenging of course but imo they have missed the boat big time.

their football won't be as carefree next season either and sides should learn not to play high lines against them (arsenal/spurs etc.)
    TheDoc wrote: »

Liverpool fans not got a thread to go to , to get excited about the next 4 flops they are going to buy?

Tiresome reading the back and forth, appreciate some are in and trying to make "adult" debate, but simply put this is a United thread, should we really be having to constantly discuss the Liverpool United dynamic here?

Go make a thread for it tbh

sorry m8, didn't realise you were in charge. don't worry we'll get back to converations you approve of and dominate asap.

• Advertisement

It sure will be different because the squad will be much bigger

Exactly but you are going to have to spend on squad players, so there wont be a lot for top quality 1st teamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

same as we find it amusing that Utd fans assume we're fúcked next year.

so at least we're all amused together.

SlickRic wrote: »

so at least we're all amused togrther.

It's just going to a summer long arguement over who's year it is next year :pac:

Ah here, we've not had much to be happy about, so give us the fact some Pool fans are knotting the rope to hang themselves with :P

Exactly but you are going to have to spend on squad players, so there wont be a lot for top quality 1st teamers.

Rodgers has stated he wants around 5 players who go straight into the first team. That will then move the current starters to the bench. For instance if/when Lallana signs, Coutinho moves to the bench. A new centre half moves Skrtel to the bench, new left back moves Enrique to the bench until Fifa 15 is released and he gets injured.

LLiverpool will have a much stronger squad next season, if United are to challenge for the top 4 then it's Arsenal who should be afraid, not Liverpool.

It's just going to a summer long arguement over who's year it is next year :pac:

Hey now, ye can't just rob that after 1 shocking season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

@kpsundayworld: Just been informed by someone very close to Luke Shaw that the agreement to take him to Manchester United is 'all but agreed' #MUFC

Jesus it's not happening so!

That's the key word, it might happen. Of course there a chance of it happening but it's not as easy as some united fans are saying.

If that word keeps you warm at night so be it, the difference between United and Liverpool this season were the quality of manager in the dugout. I would still be of the opinion that United have more class in their squad.

It would be very difficult to finish lower than 7th next season the only way is up I'm afraid !

MArk Ogdon made his "debut" on the Sunday Supplement yesterday morning. I know he is held to somewhat high regard with United stuff.

Said his information was that the deal for LVG is done, but the club want to iron out all the details relating to backroom staff and transfer targets, whos staying and whose going, before they make the announcement.

Indicated the feeling last summer was it was all dribby drabby and they want to be concise and swift this time around.

Said there is a Dutch press conference this week, and expects Van Gaal to pop up in Manchester the day after to be unveiled as United manager, then focusing on the WC while Woodward and co organise the ins and outs of players.

Some other outlets are indicating that the United board are being somewhat coy , eyeing the Ancelloti situation closely. Feeling is if he doesn't win the CL after throwing away La Liga, he will be acked. I think thats a bit of 1+1 stuff, but some merit to it I think.

But the reliables are all saying LVG is done, with just the finer details being put in place before his announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

They aren't still in here are they? Please god let their board spunk millions on some average player and they can go back too their thread and get excited!

Has LVG been appointed yet?
    Will TC23 make the squad today?
    What do ye think Nani?
    Was Fellaini worth the money?

Now plenty stuff too debate!

If that word keeps you warm at night so be it, the difference between United and Liverpool this season were the quality of manager in the dugout. I would still be of the opinion that United have more class in their squad.

It would be very difficult to finish lower than 7th next season the only way is up I'm afraid !

Let's do a combined 11 ;)

• Advertisement

Rodgers has stated he wants around 5 players who go straight into the first team. That will then move the current starters to the bench. For instance if/when Lallana signs, Coutinho moves to the bench. A new centre half moves Skrtel to the bench, new left back moves Enrique to the bench until Fifa 15 is released and he gets injured.

LLiverpool will have a much stronger squad next season, if United are to challenge for the top 4 then it's Arsenal who should be afraid, not Liverpool.

Madness, Coutinho is class.

Madness, Coutinho is class.

He can be, no doubt about it. He isn't consistent enough for me though.

MArk Ogdon made his "debut" on the Sunday Supplement yesterday morning. I know he is held to somewhat high regard with United stuff.

Said his information was that the deal for LVG is done, but the club want to iron out all the details relating to backroom staff and transfer targets, whos staying and whose going, before they make the announcement.

Indicated the feeling last summer was it was all dribby drabby and they want to be concise and swift this time around.

Said there is a Dutch press conference this week, and expects Van Gaal to pop up in Manchester the day after to be unveiled as United manager, then focusing on the WC while Woodward and co organise the ins and outs of players.

Some other outlets are indicating that the United board are being somewhat coy , eyeing the Ancelloti situation closely. Feeling is if he doesn't win the CL after throwing away La Liga, he will be acked. I think thats a bit of 1+1 stuff, but some merit to it I think.

But the reliables are all saying LVG is done, with just the finer details being put in place before his announcement.

christ I hope so.

SlickRic wrote: »

so at least we're all amused together.

Havnt heard a single United fan say that, the general sentiment is that you blew your big chance and it will be much tougher for Pool next season.

The cracks of this seasons collapse are really starting to effect some pool posters, inventing arguments to justify posting here..

Here's what I don't get though; do you think you'll pick up five players of Lallana's quality for 60m? There's talk he's going to cost 20m off the bat, so that's 1/3 of your budget gone on 1/5 of the players you want. And that's on a player who has no top level experience either.

There's a massive difference between buying 5 players of the quality to get you into the top portion of the table, and then buying 5 players to not only keep you there but challange on the European front as well.

United want 5 players to challange for the league and we're talking 150-200m. You seem to think you can do it on a fraction of the budget, enter more competitions and succeed? A tip from a fan of a top club to the next; you need to lower your expectations about what you can achieve with 60m in todays transfer market...what Rodgers wants and what Rodgers can/will/is allowed get will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Let's do a combined 11 ;)

Mignolet
    Johnson Toure Kelly Cissokho
    Valencia Carrick Allen Cleverley Moses
    Aspas

OUR YEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Havnt heard a single United fan say that, the general sentiment is that you blew your big chance and it will be much tougher for Pool next season.

The cracks of this seasons collapse are really starting to effect some pool posters, inventing arguments to justify posting here..

cool.

sorry m8, didn't realise you were in charge. don't worry we'll get back to converations you approve of and dominate asap.

Don't be a benny about it.

Going by the last few days I'm clearly not the only one that takes issue with the overriding theme of Liverpool vs United conversation going on, each side trying to score kudos for each other.

I'm not being smart, go make a thread where the two sides can go have conversations and chats about each other to their hearts content. While it's surprisingly being somewhat mature, I'm sure the mods wouldn't have a problem with it if it kept in that vein.

But considering this thread is probably going to be as bloated as ever in the coming months with the additional changes to the club, do we really need more back and forward between fans?

Missed out on a fair few good posts with Twitter stuff from people lost amist the tit for tat.

Here's what I don't get though; do you think you'll pick up five players of Lallana's quality for 60m? There's talk he's going to cost 20m off the bat, so that's 1/3 of your budget gone on 1/5 of the players you want. And that's on a player who has no top level experience either.

There's a massive difference between buying 5 players of the quality to get you into the top portion of the table, and then buying 5 players to not only keep you there but challange on the European front as well.

United want 5 players to challange for the league and we're talking 150-200m. You seem to think you can do it on a fraction of the budget, enter more competitions and succeed? A tip from a fan of a top club to the next; you need to lower your expectations about what you can achieve with 60m in todays transfer market...

We don't need to spend 20m to get players of Lallana quality. If he was from a different country he would cost 10m max. I'm expecting Lallana, Konyplanka, a left back and possibly a centre half.

We also have Wisdom, Borini, Suso, Ibe coming back from loan who will go straight into the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

All this Liverpool talk has gone beyond the point of ridiculousness. There's a Liverpool thread for a reason. If you want to debate them, then go there. Its a pain seeing 3-4 new pages every time I log in only to find they're all discussing Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement