Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

TheDoc wrote: »
    Don't be a benny about it.

Going by the last few days I'm clearly not the only one that takes issue with the overriding theme of Liverpool vs United conversation going on, each side trying to score kudos for each other.

I'm not being smart, go make a thread where the two sides can go have conversations and chats about each other to their hearts content. While it's surprisingly being somewhat mature, I'm sure the mods wouldn't have a problem with it if it kept in that vein.

But considering this thread is probably going to be as bloated as ever in the coming months with the additional changes to the club, do we really need more back and forward between fans?

Missed out on a fair few good posts with Twitter stuff from people lost amist the tit for tat.

i'm not online that often so I don't know what you've all been up to over the weekend. Doesn't seem tit for tat to me. Seems reasonable, no insults, can't see the issue.

it would make a stupid thread anyway and would attract pissing competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Leftist wrote: »
    christ I hope so.

Makes sense to me. Considering the club will already be at a disadvantage with LVG tied up in the WC, makes sense to get everything boxed off, and that the club can go do his business while he's off gallivanting in Brazil, hopefully coming home to an improved squad.

A lot of stuff doing the rounds at the moment. I'm finding a lot of "re tweets" on my feed from journalists and football people, retweeting all these transfer accounts and the likes. I always assumed they are just rubibsh after that indyk fella got found out, but there are a few with some really detailed stuff, and I don't "want" to fall into the trap of the summer rumour mill.

Can we start a " we arn't singing Kroos" thing please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

there's no way we're getting kroos.

and reus has said this weekend that he is definetly not leaving dortmund.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-target-marco-reus-says-i-can-definitely-say-that-i-will-play-for-dortmund-next-season-kicker/
    “I can definitely say that I will play for Dortmund next season. I don’t have to keep stressing how well I feel here.”

Really, still in the Liverpool vs United debates?

Liverpool fans not got a thread to go to , to get excited about the next 4 flops they are going to buy?

Tiresome reading the back and forth, appreciate some are in and trying to make "adult" debate, but simply put this is a United thread, should we really be having to constantly discuss the Liverpool United dynamic here?

Go make a thread for it tbh

I'd imagine it is tiresome. I'd feel the same if it wasn't constructive tbh but you'll find it's your own fans talking about Liverpool that stirs the debate alot of the time. Same happens in the Pool superthread.

It's not a bad thing if it's constructive and related tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

According to Sky Giggs has said that his future will be decided next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Makes sense to me. Considering the club will already be at a disadvantage with LVG tied up in the WC, makes sense to get everything boxed off, and that the club can go do his business while he's off gallivanting in Brazil, hopefully coming home to an improved squad.

A lot of stuff doing the rounds at the moment. I'm finding a lot of "re tweets" on my feed from journalists and football people, retweeting all these transfer accounts and the likes. I always assumed they are just rubibsh after that indyk fella got found out, but there are a few with some really detailed stuff, and I don't "want" to fall into the trap of the summer rumour mill.

Can we start a " we arn't singing Kroos" thing please?

We can live without van gaal for a month if his backroom staff are in place and we're competent in in the transfer market. 6 weeks wont cripple us esp when a decent chunk of the team will be at the tournament

As for transfer i follow 4 journos for united transfer news . BBC and Sky sports are good but a bit slower with news

everyone else can go **** themselves until they prove otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Like most in here I was hoping there'd be an LVG announcement today/after yesterday's game but so long as he has outlined the players he wants to Ed then I don't see the harm in not having him in this week. It's not as if he could work with the squad anyway so as long as there's no silly £25 million bids for Fabregas it should be fine.

Leftist wrote: »
    there's no way we're getting kroos.

and reus has said this weekend that he is definetly not leaving dortmund.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/man-united-target-marco-reus-says-i-can-definitely-say-that-i-will-play-for-dortmund-next-season-kicker/

I'm personally not going to rule anything out, there is just as good arguements for it as against, especially in the case of Kroos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

NTMK wrote: »
    We can live without van gaal for a month if his backroom staff are in place and we're competent in in the transfer market. 6 weeks wont cripple us esp when a decent chunk of the team will be at the tournament

As for transfer i follow 4 journos for united transfer news . BBC and Sky sports are good but a bit slower with news

everyone else can go **** themselves until they prove otherwise

Think it's that they like wait for the news to be confirmed before putting it on their sites/channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

Rodgers has stated he wants around 5 players who go straight into the first team. That will then move the current starters to the bench. For instance if/when Lallana signs, Coutinho moves to the bench. A new centre half moves Skrtel to the bench, new left back moves Enrique to the bench until Fifa 15 is released and he gets injured.

LLiverpool will have a much stronger squad next season, if United are to challenge for the top 4 then it's Arsenal who should be afraid, not Liverpool.

In the current market it would cost a fortune to buy 5 first team players. Liverpool don't really have that type of money

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Think it's that they like wait for the news to be confirmed before putting it on their sites/channels.

As large organisations and media outlets with a big reputation, they normally just report on what's being said by others, and normally don't go big with announcements until they now it's pretty much a definite.

My understanding is that their "sources" arn't sources as we would understand it. They will get a forward notification from clubs on imminent transfers to generate a little buzz before the announcement.

They arn't exactly what I'd call first to break news, or anything near exclusivity.

I do however check SSN and BBC myself, but it's usually after the other avenues have served something up as a "done deal". SSN and BBC are usually the ultimate confirmation.

If your into that sort of "get the news" first, there is a lot of places where you'll find the inside track way before SSN and BBC

Might be a good excercise for those who are interested in the Twitter medium etc., to maybe gather and collect the outlets and sources we think are credible, might help cut down on the nonsense over the summer :0

I know I definitely want to do a clearout and refinement of the footballer related account sI follow. If anyone has a snazzy list premade with journalists and united sources, that is credible, would love a share :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Remember when Sky Sports news were reliable you would take their reported stories as near fact. I was delighted hearing the Shaw story last night until i remembered Sky Sports News are just as bad as the tabloids these days.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Remember when Sky Sports news were reliable you would take their reported stories as near fact. I was delighted hearing the Shaw story last night until i remembered Sky Sports News are just as bad as the tabloids these days.

Ah they arn't really, they just feed what the audience want. Notice how most of those type of stories usually specifically mention that the information and news "isn't" coming from them. They will be very intent with their words to ensure the viewer knows the story isn't originating from them, in the event it goes belly up that it wasn't linked as their story.

When they drop out the "sky sources understand" then you know something is on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's peoples expectations for next season.

City i think are well ahead of everybody else. They have had constant injuries all season and will make more big signings i am sure.

Chelsea if get a world class striker would be second favorites. They have a very strong squad and will surely make a few big signings.

Arsenal depends on what they do in the summer. Rumors of Martinez, Draxler and a top class striker. If they got Martinez and a top striker they should challenge.

Liverpool also the summer is huge. I think Madrid will go all out for Suarez and if they want him i think they will get him. They need to make a few signings they will struggle with a small squad coping with Europe.

Everton again i can't see them doing as good next season. Will they keep Barry and they need to replace Lukaku. I am sure people will be sniffing around Mirallas, Coleman and Barkley.

Spurs well i think they will be probably be around the same place next year.

United all depends on the summer and who the new manager is who we sign. Giving Giggs the job would be unforgivable, next year will be the toughest season in a long time we need Van Gaal. We also need four or five top class signings to mount a challenge title hopefully we can get in the players we need. Shaw, first choice cb and two first choice cm signings are essential i think anyway.

Predictions

1 City
    2 Chelsea
    3 United
    4 Arsenal
    5 Liverpool
    6 Spurs
    7 Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

apparently we attempted 999 crosses this season, the most in the league.

you couldnt make it it up.

and this sums up our season -
    55 - Manchester United named a unique starting XI in all 55 of their games in 2013-14. Flux.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There is an article on Reddit where the journalists are rated with regards credibility.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/1zz2lp/cananadas_guide_to_the_transfer_market_march/

Funny enough, I found this the day before Moyes was sacked, and it was Ogden and Ladyman who reported it first, so those two are who I reckon are the more reliable of the journalists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

In the current market it would cost a fortune to buy 5 first team players. Liverpool don't really have that type of money

Zabaleta cost City 6.5m, Kompany cost them 6m. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the value is there if you look outside England. A player like Adam Lallana in France, Spain or Germany would cost 10m MAX. It's absolutely ridiculous that clubs continue to pay this kind of money for players just because they were born in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I thought the banner flown over Anfield yesterday lacked a bit of class on the part of whoever paid for it. Why should we stoop into cock size comparisons with Steven Gerrard. I'm glad they didnt win the title (Mourinho beating his chest at Anfield was moment of the season for me), but lets worry about our own house.

Zabaleta cost City 6.5m, Kompany cost them 6m. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the value is there if you look outside England. A player like Adam Lallana in France, Spain or Germany would cost 10m MAX. It's absolutely ridiculous that clubs continue to pay this kind of money for players just because they were born in England.

Well done. Two examples from a number of years ago. So, what players are you referring to exactly?

I thought the banner flown over Anfield yesterday lacked a bit of class on the part of whoever paid for it. Why should we stoop into cock size comparisons with Steven Gerrard. I'm glad they didnt win the title (Mourinho beating his chest at Anfield was moment of the season for me), but lets worry about our own house.

indeed. its really disturbing how much lads obsess with liverpool (same the other way around too). a bit of banter is no harm, but some lads forget just how poor we have been and we should stay quiet for a few months until we get ourselves sorted.

we all enjoy the fact they aint won it in 24 years and gerrard won nothing, but people jumping around the place celebrating Citys goals yesterday was a bit much.

City wasted alot of money from 08 to 11 but last few years their signings have been good-excellent. a few strange ones in there of course, but overall they are much smarter now as opposed to the days of Robinho, Jo and Lescott.

there is value to be got out there for sure, the one good thing Moyes appears to have done is brought some life to our scouting and hopefully this foundation is now laid to change things from the Sunday league approach Fergie seemed to have.

• Advertisement

Well done. Two examples from a number of years ago. So, what players are you referring to exactly?

Moussa Sissoko, one of the best players in France at the time was signed for 2m. Imagine he was English, at least 20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

and this sums up our season -

The unique starting XI thing, I'm almost sure that Fergie went around 2 years without playing the same starting XI two weeks running. That is not new, iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I know right? Soooo close to the 1,000 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

indeed. its really disturbing how much lads obsess with liverpool (same the other way around too). a bit of banter is no harm, but some lads forget just how poor we have been and we should stay quiet for a few months until we get ourselves sorted.

we all enjoy the fact they aint won it in 24 years and gerrard won nothing, but people jumping around the place celebrating Citys goals yesterday was a bit much.

you'd want to change your sig then :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Moussa Sissoko, one of the best players in France at the time was signed for 2m. Imagine he was English, at least 20m.

Not a hope, I know you are defending your team and you HOPE you sign players on the cheap outside of England but a 2 million player would not be valued at 20 million in England, more like 8 million.

Hardly a world beater. And might I add, Zabaleta and Kompany were bought when City had adopted a carpet bomb approach to bringing in players. How many players were bought that never made the grade? it didn't matter to city because they have an bottomless pit of money. Two rare diamonds in a bucket of coal.

Not a hope, I know you are defending your team and you HOPE you sign players on the cheap outside of England but a 2 million player would not be valued at 20 million in England, more like 8 million.

Sorry, I meant an English player playing in England putting in the kind of performances Sissoko was. Ie better than Barkley and Lallana managed this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Slight change of subject, am interested in signing up to a fanzine forum specifically Red Issue or United We Stand. Anyone on here a member of either of these? Which would be better would anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I admitted to myself and others a few weeks back that I'd rather City won it over Liverpool as my lesser of two evils, but any United fan jumping around celebrating City goals needs a good hard think.

Unearthly wrote: »
    you'd want to change your sig then :pac:

why?

ive had that there for about 13 months, why would i change it now? its a harmless bit of banter that comes from a song that was sung the night after the villa game. there is a big difference between that and the obsession that people have with the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The unique starting XI thing, I'm almost sure that Fergie went around 2 years without playing the same starting XI two weeks running. That is not new, iirc.

we would rotate but would always have the same team appearing most weeks with one or 2 changes but if you were to look at our big games it would be the same team for the most part

55 unique teams is a crazy stat and a big sign that moyes didnt know what to do with the team

Hardly a world beater. And might I add, Zabaleta and Kompany were bought when City had adopted a carpet bomb approach to bringing in players. How many players were bought that never made the grade? it didn't matter to city because they have an bottomless pit of money. Two rare diamonds in a bucket of coal.

All I was saying was that there is definitely value in Europe, Coutinho for 8m is more evidence of this closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

There is an article on Reddit where the journalists are rated with regards credibility.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/1zz2lp/cananadas_guide_to_the_transfer_market_march/

Funny enough, I found this the day before Moyes was sacked, and it was Ogden and Ladyman who reported it first, so those two are who I reckon are the more reliable of the journalists.

I'd agree with most of that but Delaney is certainly not a source for United information. He works off the beat and makes very vague transfer stories. Good worrier but not an insider.

Cheers gonna have a goosey at that now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Yeah, but he did play the same 11 at least a handful of times during that period. Optajoe are saying that this year we never fielded the same 11 at any point.

All I was saying was that there is definitely value in Europe, Coutinho for 8m is more evidence of this closer to home.

there definately is good value out there. Michu and Bony at Swansea for example (24 goals this season for Bony) but its hard to know how they would do at a big club.

the other side of course is that for every low cost player that becomes a superstar theres dozens that dont!

NTMK wrote: »
    we would rotate but would always have the same team appearing most weeks with one or 2 changes but if you were to look at our big games it would be the same team for the most part

55 unique teams is a crazy stat and a big sign that moyes didnt know what to do with the team
    Ignore me. I misunderstood the statement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

why?

ive had that there for about 13 months, why would i change it now? its a harmless bit of banter that comes from a song that was sung the night after the villa game. there is a big difference between that and the obsession that people have with the team.

You have made sure that every post you create for the last 13 months has had that sig on it. Every post. That, to me, is far more of an obsession than a few people having a fun two weeks and returning the "banter" that Pool fans sent our way for the nine months previous.

there definately is good value out there. Michu and Bony at Swansea for example (24 goals this season for Bony) but its hard to know how they would do at a big club.

the other side of course is that for every low cost player that becomes a superstar theres dozens that dont!

The same could be said of big money players though. Fellaini and Carroll spring to mind straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Michu & Bony are hardly in the same in bracket one cost 2m ,the other 12m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The same could be said of big money players though. Fellaini and Carroll spring to mind straight away.

Fellaini has been at United one season. A season where pretty much everyone was crap. Good try though at lumping him in with the worst transfer of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Nail on the head, Homer. I believed City would win the league from the beginning and I preferred to see them win it than Pool, but I wasn't celebrating yesterday. Sure, I had a good laugh at the Gerard slip and the many, many, photoshops afterwards, but that was it. I really don't understand the need for some people to mock other teams fans just to get a rise out of them to the degree that some do.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Michu & Bony are hardly in the same in bracket one cost 2m ,the other 12m.

12m for a striker who bags 24 goals in his first season is a bargain, possibly kept them in the premier league.

It's more hit than miss at that level of spending. Look at United. For Veron you have Rio, RVP, Rooney, RVN, DDG and Berba to a lesser extent. Then the likes of Keane, Cole, Yorke, Stam etc in relative terms.

I'll not comment on Fellaini yet but it's not looking great. Mata, on the other hand, is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

For every Coutinho you pick up, there's an Aspas and Cissokho.
    You can often be better off spending big on one player than buying 3 on the cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liam O wrote: »
    Fellaini has been at United one season. A season where pretty much everyone was crap. Good try though at lumping him in with the worst transfer of all time.

How long was Carroll at Liverpool? Carroll, Fellaini, Veron, Schvenchkno, Torres, Lamela are all overpriced flops but every club has them so i dont know why people keep harping on about them

Liam O wrote: »

United overpaid for him, plain and simple. If it means we avoid a pathetic liverpool - united conversation then replace him with Lamela in my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

It's more hit than miss at that level of spending. Look at United. For Veron you have Rio, RVP, Rooney, RVN, DDG and Berba to a lesser extent. Then the likes of Keane, Cole, Yorke, Stam etc in relative terms.

I'll not comment on Fellaini yet but it's not looking great. Mata, on the other hand, is.

Pretty sure Cole was a transfer record at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sorry, I meant an English player playing in England putting in the kind of performances Sissoko was. Ie better than Barkley and Lallana managed this season.

Missed this one too. Delusional in the extreme.

For every Coutinho you pick up, there's an Aspas and Cissokho.
    You can often be better off spending big on one player than buying 3 on the cheap.

Cissokho is only on loan though but I get your point. I think it softens the blow if a cheaper player flops than a 20m+ player. For example I don't care if Aspas flops but Carroll was an unmitigated disaster which still annoys me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement