Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Superthread 2014 mod warning #8081

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't see how Berba can be classed as a miss yet RVP a hit.

errm, its quite clear why. RVPs had been excellent for us and this season his games to goals ratio was even better than last season, he just missed 20 games due to injury.

if you look at games per goal for United, RVP is at 1.58 games for every goal, Berba is 2.66 and that is a huge difference and hence why he is a hit. Berba has never hit those heights.

by fair comparison, Suarez is 1.61 and Aguero is 1.62 and both of them are seen as hits for their clubs.

Might be alone on this one, but I've found it somewhat embarrassing people using the Charity Shield as a put down on Liverpool and as a defence by Moyes.

If anyone else used it as a defence I'd absolutely slaughter them. It's pure twisting the achievement to fit the narrative.

Charity shield is one of the most pointless competitions there can be, and I'd be highly suspect of anyone using it as legit.

I get it's been somewhat a running joke lately, but I've seen plenty of people using it as an actually justification or defence for Moyes, or a put down on Liverpool.

If your one of the people that has seriously used the Charity shield as a notch on the belt.........

iv not been using it but i think its less about the charity shield and more about the month or so when liverpool where going to win the league and tried to fit 10+ years of boasting in. the fact that it then backfired was hilarious. united are still in a poor position but liverpool are perhaps the most celebrated winners of nothing in league history.
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I was looking at fees adjusted for inflation the other day - that Keane figure would be like £30M+ by most measures. Obviously still a great transfer but not an example of getting a great player on the cheap in the slightest.

ya but he stayed at united for 10/11 years by the time he left (2004?) the 3 odd million was insane value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Allowing for inflation what would Verons 28m cost now. 28m was massive in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Cleverley and Carrick on standby for England. No sign of Young at all.....

Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Roney all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I was looking at fees adjusted for inflation the other day - that Keane figure would be like £30M+ by most measures. Obviously still a great transfer but not an example of getting a great player on the cheap in the slightest.

What measure is that?

£3.75M adjusted for inflation from 1993-2014 is £6.67M

Johan Cruyff was £1Bn by your measurement. Lentini over £130M....

Context is everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Allowing for inflation what would Verons 28m cost now. 28m was massive in 2001.

50+ depending on who you ask. I quite like this source -

http://tomkinstimes.com/2014/01/transfer-records-and-why-they-mata/

glued wrote: »
    What measure is that?

Context is everything.

Transfer market is obviously very different to the general economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What measure is that?

Context is everything.

I'd be pretty sure he is talking about football transfer fee inflation, not national economic inflation.

Keane and Cantona's transfer fees were very big money when they came to United. Anybody using them as examples of cheep transfers is completely wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

30 million on Berbatov. 30 million on Fellaini. 30 million on Veron. 20 million on Anderson.

Ouch.

Please tell me a Liverpool fan isn't slating those transfer fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Might be alone on this one, but I've found it somewhat embarrassing people using the Charity Shield as a put down on Liverpool and as a defence by Moyes.

If anyone else used it as a defence I'd absolutely slaughter them. It's pure twisting the achievement to fit the narrative.

Charity shield is one of the most pointless competitions there can be, and I'd be highly suspect of anyone using it as legit.

I get it's been somewhat a running joke lately, but I've seen plenty of people using it as an actually justification or defence for Moyes, or a put down on Liverpool.

If your one of the people that has seriously used the Charity shield as a notch on the belt.........

I was merely being facetious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Schwiiing wrote: »
    I was merely being facetious.

Wasn't directly aimed at you, but its being a genuine defense and "put down" form some quarters

. 20 million on Anderson.

Ouch.
    BnXa1SkCUAAUhID.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

England 4 - Jones, smalling, welbeck, rooney
    France 1 - evra
    Spain 2 - mata, de gea?
    Mexico 1 - hernandez
    Japan 1 - Kagawa
    Portugal 1- nani
    Holland 1 - van persie
    Belgium 2 - fellaini, januzaj
    Ecuador 1 - valencia

14 going to the world cup assuming de gea and januzaj get picked and Jones gets passed fit, the rest will surely go.
    Just on England, Don't agree with Lampards selection Barry would have been a better option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Christ ye lot are very defensive and I'm not a Liverpool fan.

Anderson 20 million, going to be released on a free transfer or minimal fee. Berbatov 30 million, sold for 4 million. Fellaini at 30 million, would be hard pressed to recoup half of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mata most likely won't be going in my opinion. End of season surge might sway the coach but I wouldn't be surprised to see him left home.

I think himself and Torres will be the two big omissions, Torres especially considering his record on the international stage.

Hernandez and Kagawa have been confirmed today as in their respective squads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anderson 20 million, going to be released on a free transfer or minimal fee. Berbatov 30 million, sold for 4 million. Fellaini at 30 million, would be hard pressed to recoup half of that.

Ah you're not another one of these lads that doesn't support a team but has a go at all the other teams are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Anderson was one of the biggest prospects in Europe when we signed him along with nani. he was excellent first couple of seasons until fitness issues took hold. if fiorentina sign him the fee will be 7m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think Fergie would have let Vidic be pictured signing for another club.

the thing is, Vidic would not have done it to Fergie.

Bit late getting back this but yes, I also agree with that!

50+ depending on who you ask. I quite like this source -

http://tomkinstimes.com/2014/01/transfer-records-and-why-they-mata/

The intentions are good but that is a highly flawed model for inflation which is accepted by the author.

That England squad is so so average, i dont expect them to get out of the group and if they do, they will be slaughtered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fellaini didnt cost £30 million.

there is no club in the world that has not made mistakes in the transfer market, i dont see why someone that supports a club would not fight there clubs side, i dont think anyone has been out of line or stubborn in what they've said so i dont see your issed to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Lad's got this email from Man U today.. I signed up for the Season ticket waiting list and this was sent.. I signed up last week sometime.
    We are delighted that you have registered your interest online in joining our Season Ticket Priority List for the 2014/15 season. We have provided some important information below which we hope you will find useful.

A Season Ticket will guarantee attendance to every competitive home game. The cost of your Season Ticket covers the 19 Premier League games played at Old Trafford. Your seat is also reserved for home games in the European and FA cup competitions; you are required to pay for these on a match by match basis as we progress through the competition stages. You can choose on a seasonal basis whether to pay for and attend League Cup games (currently known as the Capital One Cup) or not. Under 16s can choose to opt in or out of all cup competitions.

You will join the United Family as a Red Level Season Ticket holder and can look forward to working your way up the levels as follows:

Red, 0-3 seasons
    Silver, 4-10 seasons
    Gold, 11-25 seasons
    Platinum, 26+ seasons

As a Season Ticket holder you will be able to enjoy a number of benefits including the ability to apply for European away tickets. From season 2017/18 when you have reached Silver level you will also be able to apply for domestic away tickets. Entry to home Under 21s and Under 19s matches are free on production of your Season Ticket card, as well as 50% off in the Museum & Tour Centre and 10% off in the Megastore and Red Café.

To discuss becoming a Season Ticket Holder for next season, please call 0161 868 8000 where an advisor will be able to answer any further questions you may have. They will also be able to record what area of the stadium you would ideally like to purchase a seat in. When we have this information communications will then be sent to you towards the end of the season when tickets are on sale, so you can guarantee your seat at the Theatre of Dreams.

Is this just there standard reply ? .. Or do I have a chance of actually getting a season ticket ?

The intentions are good but that is a highly flawed model for inflation which is accepted by the author.

If we are agreed on the notion that holding Keane up as an example of a bargain basement purchase based on the low £-value of his transfer fee relative to current transfer fees is flawed then we don't have an argument here.

I think the point is pretty obvious and pretty clearly made anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Signed at 27/28 years of age on a 4 year contract we weren't expecting to make money back on a 31/32 year old.
    Fellaini didnt cost 30 million, and he has only had 1 very stop start season under his belt, we have no interest in recouping money on him cos there is no intention to sell him any time soon.
    Anderson wasn't 20 million either, he was at the club for 7 years where he won 5 league titles, a champions league, and numerous other league cups community shields and a world cup. He never lived up to the early potential he showed, partly due to a lot of injuries, but seeing as he fee averaged out at just over 2 million a season he wasnt exactly the worst value signing around.

There is a difference between being defensive and simply correcting facts or pointing out a different view point, keep trying though.

If we are agreed on the notion that holding Keane up as an example of a bargain basement purchase based on the low £-value of his transfer fee relative to current transfer fees is flawed then we don't have an argument here.

I think the point is pretty obvious and pretty clearly made anyway.

It's a point I agree with but not one so well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was expecting LVG meltdowns.

this is nearly worse ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If Anderson and Berba are flops im not sure what you would call the likes of Carroll and Downing.

Players who contributed to major success in recent times but probably didnt hit the heights expected of them.

LVG could still have a look at Anderson yet, im fairly sure im one of the few who would still have him ahead of our current options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

NeVeR wrote: »
    Lad's got this email from Man U today.. I signed up for the Season ticket waiting list and this was sent.. I signed up last week sometime.

Is this just there standard reply ? .. Or do I have a chance of actually getting a season ticket ?

standard reply i think

and **** my season ticket will be platinum in another 6 years shame last season was the only season i was able to use it fully:pac:

you'll have a decent shot at a season ticket this year i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

NeVeR wrote: »

You will have no problem getting a ST. There is no waiting list really. It's all just spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Does anyone have the pic of Vidic in the Inter Jersey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

My comment of "ouch" was in relation to PhlegmyMoses (who I assume is a Utd fan) post where he said that "Veron, Anderson, Berbatov" were misses.

In response to this I did a quick google of their reported price tags and was surprised at how expensive they were (I realise Utd recouped alot of money for Veron).

I was not making any grandiose statement citing Utd as the bastion of poor transfer dealings. I was just surprised at how much was spent on those players and Fellaini given that none of them never went on to be key players for United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bullvine wrote: »
    Does anyone have the pic of Vidic in the Inter Jersey?

The only pic I ever saw was him signing the contract wearing civvies. Is there actually a pic of him in an Inter shirt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Bebe for 7 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Bebe for 7 million

Well worth it......:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

The only pic I ever saw was him signing the contract wearing civvies. Is there actually a pic of him in an Inter shirt?

no there is no picture

bangkok wrote: »
    no there is no picture

Ok so, no pic of him in the jersey, so what exactly is the difference between what he did and what Schmeichel did back in 1998 cause I'm pretty sure he announced his move to Sporting before the season was over as well!

Ok so, no pic of him in the jersey, so what exactly is the difference between what he did and what Schmeichel did back in 1998 cause I'm pretty sure he announced his move to Sporting before the season was over as well!

I'm the same as you, I've no idea why people are getting their knickers in a twist over it.

Club captain, photo of him signing a contract with Inter, club having worst season in two decades... It was wrong on so many levels and Schmeichel didn't sign with Sporting before the season ended.

I was also taken aback at the sight of Vidic signing for a new club, then leading United out on the field as captain the following week. Whatever about keeping his place, he's Vidic the Destroyer, but remaining club captain?? I definitely blame Moyes for that one.

Edit: It's not the fact that he signed for a new club, it's the fact that a photo was released of him with a big smile signing the Inter contract while we were still trying to keep up with the top 4. Can't blame Vidic, he has to look after number 1, but United could have/should have handled it better.

• Advertisement

Bit of a over reaction lads, he made us aware that he was leaving after putting his body on the line so many times and winning us so many Leagues and Cups, I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Pro. F wrote: »
    I'd be pretty sure he is talking about football transfer fee inflation, not national economic inflation.

Keane and Cantona's transfer fees were very big money when they came to United. Anybody using them as examples of cheep transfers is completely wrong.

Keane was a record at the time but you couldn't say the same about Cantona's transfer.

Cantona's fee was not big money at the time by any measure...£1.2 million in 1992 was cheap as chips and I doubt it was even in the top 20 of transfer deals done that year in England.

Danny Wallace cost the same over 3 years before that in the Summer of '89.

Some 13 years before that, was when Forest signed the first £1 million English footballer Trevor Francis.

Bit of a over reaction lads, he made us aware that he was leaving after putting his body on the line so many times and winning us so many Leagues and Cups, I wish him well.

You're starting to sound like David Moyes now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Same, I'm not that bothered, at the end of the day its only football lads, what difference does it make as long as he's putting in his best on match day.

Club captain, photo of him signing a contract with Inter, club having worst season in two decades... It was wrong on so many levels and Schmeichel didn't sign with Sporting before the season ended.

Yeah but Schmeichel was vice captain at the time, he announced it around November 98 and said he was going to a league were he wouldn't play as many games or someting, he was going through a terrible run of form as well at the time. I really don't see that much of a difference personally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah but Schmeichel was vice captain at the time, he announced it around November 98 and said he was going to a league were he wouldn't play as many games or someting, he was going through a terrible run of form as well at the time. I really don't see that much of a difference personally.

He wasn't leaving a club in "crisis", nor a manager who already had a plate full of problems.

He wasn't leaving a club in "crisis", nor a manager who already had a plate full of problems.

Best reasons you could have to change jobs really anywhere bar the bizarro world of soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Schmeichel then went on to contribute to a historic season to cap a wonderful United career finally getting that European win....Vidic having won it all already with United started winding his United career down around mid September. There's a big difference in that PS had something to play for, Vidic didn't really, not if he didn't want to...which he didn't.

Vidic has been rubbish this year and I can't say I blame him, mentally he just can't have been here....massive mistake on the part of Moyes not dealing with his and Evras imminent departures last summer.

Maintaining Vidic as captain and relying on him as 1st choice and trying and failling to replace Evra were catastrophic errors. Two massive players being pretty disinterested for one reason or another can't have been good to have in the dressing room.

Ideal scenario, Vidic announces last summer that this would be his last season and relinquishes armband, doesn't say where he is going.
    Evra should have been replaced, he's been cack but the man knew early doors that Moyes didn't want him so why would he give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Best reasons you could have to change jobs really anywhere bar the bizarro world of soccer.

I'd agree with the sentiment here but it is Inter... A case of out of the frying pan and into the fire if ever there was one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Utd released a statement saying that he was leaving on Feb 7th. The Inter deal was signed on Mar 7th. I see no problem with this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement